PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the NBA's lottery system?

kaorder1999
05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
After the Bulls won the lottery to secure the first pick, it made me wonder if the Lottery System in the NBA is the best thing to have.....

Do you like the Lottery System?

jason
05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
it keeps teams from tanking their final month of games....

they need to fix the officiating problem....

Silverback 04
05-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by jason
it keeps teams from tanking their final month of games....

they need to fix the officiating problem....

Maybe I'm lost. How does it keep teams from tanking?

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Maybe I'm lost. How does it keep teams from tanking?

It doesn't necessarily keep teams from tanking, but it doesn't guarantee that a team that tanks the season and gets the worst record (ie the Heat) from getting the no.1 pick, like the NFL does.

In my opinion I think its a great system.

kaorder1999
05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
I think the system is flawed. Take Golden State for example. There was a VERY SLIGHT chance they could have landed the #1 pick and they won 50 games are darn near 50. I havent looked. They ended up with the 14th pick but the chance was still there and that is just wrong.

Texasfootball2
05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
After the Bulls won the lottery to secure the first pick, it made me wonder if the Lottery System in the NBA is the best thing to have.....

Do you like the Lottery System?

For the most part it's not a bad system. Makes things interesting, and teams don't have as much of a reason to tank games at the end of the year. I personally think that after the first pick is pulled the second pick should go to the team with the worse record. Then pull another ping pong ball, and then the fourth pick should go to the team left on the board with the worst record, and so on.................you can figure it out from here.

I don't know how they do the second round but the order in the second round should be based on where they finished record wise, like the NFL.

Phil C
05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I don't know. It helped the Spurs get David Robinson and Tim Duncan.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I think the system is flawed. Take Golden State for example. There was a VERY SLIGHT chance they could have landed the #1 pick and they won 50 games are darn near 50. I havent looked. They ended up with the 14th pick but the chance was still there and that is just wrong.

That's a very good point. It is flawed in that regard, but I think it works because a) its admitted that its not a perfect system (what is, though?) and b) it gives a shining light to victims of circumstance.

Golden State won close to 50, but they didn't even make the playoffs--that's not fair. Atlanta had one of the worst records ever to make playoffs, but because they play in the East they made it in with a sub-.500 record.

So while Golden State was a better team, they didn't have a chance to play for the title because of their conference; therefore they get the chance to have a top 3 pick for their troubles (the lotto only affects top3, after that its based on record). And though Atlanta doesn't have a chance, at least they made it to the playoffs, and took the no.1 seed to 7 games. Evens out ok, in my opinion.

BILLYFRED0000
05-21-2008, 10:39 AM
I believe that a lottery with the four worst teams is not bad but when a 50 win team is in the mix that is just too stupid. How bout drafting in the order in which you lost sans the NFL.

Silverback 04
05-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
It doesn't necessarily keep teams from tanking, but it doesn't guarantee that a team that tanks the season and gets the worst record (ie the Heat) from getting the no.1 pick, like the NFL does.

In my opinion I think its a great system.

Thats what I thought. By tanking games the team has the possibility of increasing the number of lottery balls thereby increasing their chances of getting the top pick. Bot it doesn't keep them from tanking. I also think the system could use some adjusting, just not sure how.

STANG RED
05-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I believe that a lottery with the four worst teams is not bad but when a 50 win team is in the mix that is just too stupid. How bout drafting in the order in which you lost sans the NFL.

If they went solely on records, can you just imagine a game in the final days of the season between two of the worst teams? Hell I bet they'd be shooting at each others baskets lol.:D
Might be the most interesting game ever played in the NBA though.:D

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2008, 10:50 AM

Then a team that realizes it doesn't have a chance of playoffs sends its best players to the 'injured list' (sound familiar this year?) and no one tries because they know the worst record will give them the top pick. They can loaf, miss shots, and play people with no experience with the front of 'getting a look at our new guys'. Its embarrassing to watch, honestly.

waterboy
05-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Personally, I don't see the point in the lottery. It just doesn't seem fair enough. I think it should be like all the other drafts......give the worst team the first pick and so forth.

But by the same token, they did this just to decrease the chances of the worst teams not playing their best toward the end of the season, but whose to say that those teams ain't doing that anyway.

BILLYFRED0000
05-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Then a team that realizes it doesn't have a chance of playoffs sends its best players to the 'injured list' (sound familiar this year?) and no one tries because they know the worst record will give them the top pick. They can loaf, miss shots, and play people with no experience with the front of 'getting a look at our new guys'. Its embarrassing to watch, honestly.

Thats fine with me. Cause it evens out in the long run. They cannot afford to keep stocking top players and losing.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Thats fine with me. Cause it evens out in the long run. They cannot afford to keep stocking top players and losing.

With rookie salary caps they can do it for 2-3 years and still have cap room to get a veteran player and then make playoffs/ deep run to the finals. All the while tarnishing the ideals of the game.

Silverback 04
05-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Perfect example is the Clippers. They suck year in and year out. Always in the Lottery and they still suck. High draft pick sucks for 2 years, gets traded and sucks someplace else for 2 years! Gets released, then finds a home under a bridge sleeping with a crackpipe.

buff4life
05-21-2008, 01:27 PM
how is it that there were only 14 little ping pong balls in the thing but some teams had such a better chance...

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
how is it that there were only 14 little ping pong balls in the thing but some teams had such a better chance...

There's not 14. I think its closer to 100 (each ball counts as a percentage point), but I could be wrong. It'd be interesting to know the exact system.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2008, 01:30 PM
Here's a really good explanation:

http://www.nba.com/news/lottery02_evolution.html

kepdawg
05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Here's a really good explanation:

http://www.nba.com/news/lottery02_evolution.html

I agree with the most recent comment on that link:

That’s not an explanation at all. That’s just saying what the odds are. .

crzyjournalist03
05-21-2008, 01:36 PM
I love it...

In fact, I'd actually prefer that they reward teams for playing well...give Golden State a better shot at the pick since they were the best team outside the playoffs...give teams incentive to play hard all year long!

buff4life
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
thanks

BreckTxLonghorn
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I agree with the most recent comment on that link:

Yeah, I changed it to one that did better.

kepdawg
05-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I changed it to one that did better.

Much better! :clap: