PDA

View Full Version : Merkel Badgers Vs. Clyde Bulldogs @Merkel

Knightmoon
09-01-2003, 07:23 PM
I think this should be a good match-up. Both teams are trying to establish themselves in their respective districts. Merkel has a really good defense this year. They held Monahans on 4 goal line stands. Monahans only had 176 yards on offense. What are Clyde's strengths this year? I hear they have a good team and are expected to place 2nd or 3rd in District 6-3A.Collier ratings has them favored by nine. I don't see that happening. Merkel by 8, their defense is just too stingy this year. Should be a fun one to watch.

wildstangs
09-01-2003, 07:32 PM
Should be a great game. Like you mentioned, two upstart teams trying to get things going. Clyde has a lot of guys back from last year, but one can only wonder what the loss of their head coach so late in the year has done to them. Merkel has some good kids back on defense that got some all state mentions last year. Could go either way. Merkel won last years meeting, right?

Knightmoon
09-01-2003, 07:42 PM
Merkel did win last year. I think by 7, but Merkel's defense is better this year. I really think this will be Merkel's year to break their playoff drought. My nephew plays corner and he made the most awesome tackle against Monahans. I have watched the play about 30 times by now. LOL.
Merkel made alot of mistakes-- fumbles, blocked punt, bad punt, but still had enough to win. Monahans, looked like they had a good team too. Does Clyde have the same quarterback this year?

wildstangs
09-01-2003, 09:17 PM
I am not sure who Clyde returns, just know they have a host of returning kids, and some people (not me) think this might even be the year they knock off Wylie. I kinda miss our old district of Ballinger, Early, Sweetwater, Wylie, Merkel and Clyde.

clydewr35
09-01-2003, 09:21 PM
our stength this year is our o line we have every one back from last year. our D looked good friday too. our Qb is not the same as last year. he is lookin good though he was like 16 for 21 with two the incompletions being because of penalties

pero chato
09-01-2003, 09:44 PM
I think this is a close, low scoring game coming down to the old cliche of who makes the least mistakes. Both teams are much improved over the past few years and, I thought, should have made the playoffs last year. Clyde especially because they gave us (Wylie) and Ballinger the closest district games. Traditionally, Clyde has always had a tough defense and I know Merkel is hungry for a playoff run. The season's young but I would like to see both teams in the playoffs this year. Good Luck!

mustang04
09-01-2003, 10:44 PM
AMEN Wildstangs...i miss our old district too, the majority of the games were all close, and i liked playing merkel, clyde, ballinger, and wylie in district, cant say too much for early, the rivalry just wasnt there like it is w/ the other teams, does anybody form any of those towns agree? and how does the clyde team look this year, i havent heard much of them at all since they moved from our district, i think it'll be a good game from what it sounds like, but i dont have enough info to make a prediction on who is gonna win

Wbulldogs
09-01-2003, 10:51 PM
i agree im from wylie and i thought our dstrict was great cause usually in a district theres like one rivalry but with ours almost everyone was and that what made it so much fun to play...but in this one i think im goin with clyde

ClydeFan
09-02-2003, 10:02 AM
I think it will be a great game, with Clyde narrowly winning this year. Overall, I was very impressed with this year's team, especially considering the new head coach and new offense. The QB did an outstanding job, going 15 of 20 for 200 yards, no interceptions, and 2 TD passes. The defense was tough just like last year.

I miss the old district too in some ways.

Good luck to y'all this season, Knightmoon. I'd sure like to see Merkel make the playoffs this year too.

Knightmoon
09-02-2003, 11:43 PM
Yes, Everyone in Merkel misses the old district. It is just not the same with Denver City, Seminole, and Lamesa. Ballinger, Sweetwater Wylie, Clyde, Merkel, and Snyder would be a district that would dominate 3A Football. Maybe next time. Good luck to Everyone this Friday night. There are some good matchups-- Merkel/Clyde, Wylie/Snyder, Sweetwater/Graham. LET'S GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!!

vet93
09-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Last year I picked both of these teams to make the playoffs. Merkel was sabotaged by injuries and Clyde was ambushed by a well-coached Comanche team. It looks like that both of these teams have the ability to make the playoffs this year. This game is very difficult to predict because both teams appear to have alot going for them and you can easily justify a pick either way. I think that the game will be close but my gut feeling is that Clyde will win narrowly. I am watching this game closely because the Bearcats play Merkel in week 2 and Clyde in district. Both of those game will be tough as always. Good luck to both teams and hope that it is a injury free game.

Knightmoon
09-05-2003, 05:56 AM
I think everyone is going to be suprised with the strength of Merkel's Defense. They only allowed 174 yards against Monahans. They were backed inside the 5 yard line 4 times and allowed 0 points. Clyde likes to throw the ball. Merkel had two interceptions against Monohans, one of those was returned for a TD. Merkel is returning three All-State players who are improved from last year and have added an even better secondary. Mark my words, Merkel's defense will win them games. Good luck to all tonight. My prediction, Merkel by 15 against a very improved Clyde team.

zeke
09-05-2003, 08:13 AM
It's pretty insane when Merkel places 4 guys on the All-State Team in 2002 and doesn't even make it to the playoffs, while Sweetwater, a Quarterfinalists, in the same district as Merkel, has no players on the All-State Team. That for some reason just doesn't seem reasonable.

Knightmoon
09-05-2003, 04:03 PM
Hey Zeke. That was last year. Merkel does have a really good defense. Show up and watch them play Sweetwater this year. You can judge then.

stangdad 33
09-07-2003, 09:32 PM
hey knightmom i know several merkel kids and respect them very much . they do have a good defense but we play a little over here in the bowl just ask graham...98 total yards.