PDA

View Full Version : life in prison

JasperDog94
05-21-2008, 08:30 AM
link (http://www.click2houston.com/news/16339586/detail.html)

Widow 'Victimized' Over Cop Killer's Punishment

HOUSTON -- A jury spared the life Tuesday of a convicted killer who murdered a Houston police officer, KPRC Local 2 reported.

The jury decided Juan Leonardo Quintero, 33, should spend the rest of his life in prison without the possibility of parole for murdering Officer Rodney Johnson during a traffic stop.

Quintero was found guilty of capital murder on May 8. Quintero was handcuffed in the back seat of Johnson's patrol car after he was arrested for driving without a license on Sept. 21, 2006, when he opened fire.

"I'd like to say I am sorry," Quintero said after the verdict was read.

Johnson's widow broke down and cried when the punishment was announced. The Johnson family wanted the death penalty.

"The city lost a hero. The department lost one of the best officers. I lost my husband. I feel victimized all over again," said Sgt. Joslyn Johnson, the victim's widow.

Rodney Johnson's sister took the stand and read the victim's impact statement.

"Juan Quintero is not remorseful and he is not insane. Losing a loved one the way that we did and we have is enough to drive someone insane," Susan Johnson said.

She also thanked the jury.

"There's nothing that you could have done today to bring Rodney back," she said.

"He shot him four times in the back, three times in the head. I can't believe that's what's mitigation," said David Johnson, Rodney Johnson's brother.

Juror Tiffany Moore said the jury felt there were special circumstances in Quintero's life that warranted mercy.

"It was different for everybody, actually. Some agreed on a few and others agreed on just one and some people used a lot of the evidence and testimony altogether to reach a conclusion," Moore said.

"There is a huge distinction to be made between justice and vengeance. And this jury clearly understood the difference between justice and vengeance," defense attorney David Lane said.

"Although we believe death was appropriate for his conduct, we have to respect the jury process," prosecutor John Jordan said.

Prosecutors told the jury Monday that Quintero deserved to die for murdering Johnson. They reminded the jury that Quintero was deported once before after he was convicted of indecency with a child, but sneaked back into the United States.

Defense attorneys tried to convince the jury to spare Quintero's life. They said he had a troubled childhood and suffered a brain injury that caused him to be unable to reasonably react to some circumstances.

Johnson's widow announced Monday that she has filed a civil lawsuit against Quintero's employer, Robert Camp of Camp Landscaping in Deer Park. Johnson's attorneys said that if Camp had not employed Quintero, Rodney Johnson would likely be alive.

"The owner of the company gave a man with a warrant out for his arrest, and who had alcohol and drug problems, a car to drive," said Ben Dominguez, Johnson's attorney. "He did not have a driver's license and he did not train him or teach him well. We believe if Camp did not employ Quintero, Officer Johnson's death might have never happened."

Johnson's widow has also threatened to sue the city if it does not change a departmental policy and place two officers in every patrol car.

JasperDog94
05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
So this guy is in the country illegally, shoots a cop in the back 7 times and gets life in prison? What a bunch of crap.:mad: :mad: :mad: :thmbdwn: :thmbdwn: :thmbdwn:

Txbroadcaster
05-21-2008, 08:42 AM
Personally I like him being in jail for life with no chance of getting out..death would have been to easy for him

rockdale80
05-21-2008, 08:56 AM
I like how the wife is filing suit against the employer. Some people are so stupid.

pirate4state
05-21-2008, 08:57 AM
Suing the company that hired him???? WTH :doh:

I'm sorry for their loss, but that is just stupid, IMO!

Ranger Mom
05-21-2008, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
I like how the wife is filing suit against the employer. Some people are so stupid.

and then threatening to sue the city too!!:doh:

LH Panther Mom
05-21-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
and then threatening to sue the city too!!:doh:
At least that one makes some sort of sense. The other.... :doh:

Ranger Mom
05-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
link (http://www.click2houston.com/news/16339586/detail.html)

Quintero was handcuffed in the back seat of Johnson's patrol car after he was arrested for driving without a license on Sept. 21, 2006, when he opened fire.

Where did the gun come from?? Was he not patted down after he was handcuffed and before he was put in the car??

S_Tex_3A_Fan
05-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Personally I like him being in jail for life with no chance of getting out..death would have been to easy for him

I don't, now we are stuck paying for this low life illegal alien.

Conspiracy theory:

Since he was a Mexican Citizen, I bet the jury was pressuured into giving life in prison so as not to upset the Mexican Government(I use this term loosely). Since Mexico doesn't have the death penalty and will not extradite anyone to the US from their country unless there is a guarantee that there will be no death penalty sought in murder cases.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
05-21-2008, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pirate4state
[B]Suing the company that hired him???? WTH :doh:

Sad thing is she will probably win and this guy wil end up going out of business.

JasperDog94
05-21-2008, 09:13 AM
Where did the gun come from?? Was he not patted down after he was handcuffed and before he was put in the car?? The officer missed a concealed handgun...and then paid for that mistake with his life.:(

JasperDog94
05-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
I don't, now we are stuck paying for this low life illegal alien.

Conspiracy theory:

Since he was a Mexican Citizen, I bet the jury was pressuured into giving life in prison so as not to upset the Mexican Government(I use this term loosely). Since Mexico doesn't have the death penalty and will not extradite anyone to the US from their country unless there is a guarantee that there will be no death penalty sought in murder cases. I heard a radio interview with one of the jurors this morning. She said that four of them were in favor of the death penalty, but that the other jurors were berating them for wanting the death penalty. She said they were yelling at them and being verbally abusive. She said that they finally got tired of putting up with the abuse and were ready to see their families, so they caved on their beliefs and went with life in prison.:thmbdwn:

Ranger Mom
05-21-2008, 09:19 AM
I heard a radio interview with one of the jurors this morning. She said that four of them were in favor of the death penalty, but that the other jurors were berating them for wanting the death penalty. She said they were yelling at them and being verbally abusive. She said that they finally got tired of putting up with the abuse and were ready to see their families, so they caved on their beliefs and went with life in prison.:thmbdwn:

I'm not sure how all that works....but were they worried about a "hung jury?" I would rather him go to prison for life then be let out on a technicality!

JasperDog94
05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure how all that works....but were they worried about a "hung jury?" I would rather him go to prison for life then be let out on a technicality! This was just the sentencing phase. He was already convicted. The choice was either life in prison or the death penalty.

Reds fan
05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
I'm not sure how all that works....but were they worried about a "hung jury?" I would rather him go to prison for life then be let out on a technicality!

At that point the verdict had already been reached, guilty, the jury was now in the sentencing stage.

Ranger Mom
05-21-2008, 09:29 AM
This was just the sentencing phase. He was already convicted. The choice was either life in prison or the death penalty.

Gotcha!!

nobogey72
05-21-2008, 10:20 AM

I agree 100%.

Ranger Mom
05-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I agree 100%.

I agree too....I just don't see how it can cost so darn much to house a prisoner!!!!

I think all prisons should be like the "tent city" in Arizona!!

Who cares about the prisoners rights? (especially cold blooded murderers)...as far as I am concerned, they gave up any rights they had when they killed someone else.

I say let 'em suffer!!

ronwx5x
05-21-2008, 01:36 PM
If the jury had not been able to reach a unanimous decision on the death penalty, what happens? Does it become mandatory life or go back to the judge? If it bacomes mandatory life, and does not include "without parole", I can sort of understand the caving in part.

I cannot believe under any circumstances that there was political pressure on the jury to avoid the death penalty. That would be a felony and who would chance it?

eppy 12
05-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Personally I like him being in jail for life with no chance of getting out..death would have been to easy for him http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/Lets-Go-To-Prison.jpg dang right...........

Ranger Mom
05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Child molesters and crimes against women are are not tolerated well in prison and those men sometimes have a HARD time in prison because of it......which I think they deserve.

If someone goes to prison for killing a cop, they are often almost viewed as a hero for doing so!!

STANG RED
05-21-2008, 02:09 PM

yeah but now we have to feed and cloth this low life for the next 50 or so years. problem is, with all the mandatory appeals involved in death penalty rulings, life in prison may actually end up being cheaper. I say let them work enough land to grow their own food to eat, and have them make their own clothes. If they cant survive. Then oh well too bad.

Blitzkrieg
05-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
yeah but now we have to feed and cloth this low life for the next 50 or so years. problem is, with all the mandatory appeals involved in death penalty rulings, life in prison may actually end up being cheaper. I say let them work enough land to grow their own food to eat, and have them make their own clothes. If they cant survive. Then oh well too bad.
I'm pretty sure it costs more to sentence a person to death than life in prison...at least thats what i read somewhere.

Ranger Mom
05-21-2008, 02:44 PM
That is what I like about the "tent city prisons!!"

Actually......I think it's more of a jail, but maybe if so many didn't have it so EASY in jail, some would think twice about being sent back.

When prison life is better than anything you can find on the outside, something is WRONG!!!

JasperDog94
05-21-2008, 02:46 PM
That is what I like about the "tent city prisons!!"

Actually......I think it's more of a jail, but maybe if so many didn't have it so EASY in jail, some would think twice about being sent back.

When prison life is better than anything you can find on the outside, something is WRONG!!! I've been to Mexico City and I've been inside of a few prisons (prison ministry) and I can promise you that while the company may not be great in prison, the accommodations and meals are much better.

westtxfballfan
05-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
If the jury had not been able to reach a unanimous decision on the death penalty, what happens? Does it become mandatory life or go back to the judge? If it bacomes mandatory life, and does not include "without parole", I can sort of understand the caving in part.

I cannot believe under any circumstances that there was political pressure on the jury to avoid the death penalty. That would be a felony and who would chance it?

If the jury is not unanimous on assessing the death penalty and are "hung," then the sentence is life imprisonment. In other words, the 4 in favor would have had to convince the others to assess the death penalty.