PDA

View Full Version : The NFL to have 17 regular season games ???

Sweetwater Red
05-20-2008, 03:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3405076

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell raised the possibility of having a 17th regular-season game as an option to help settle some of the league's future labor problems.

"We are actually looking at that as one alternative," Goodell said Tuesday at the NFL owners meeting in Atlanta, the same day that the league's owners voted unanimously to opt out of their labor deal with the players' union two years early. "We think that may have an impact on some of the things we would want to talk to the players about. It's on the table."

A 17th regular-season game could replace a fourth preseason game and the possibility comes at a time that the league is not satisfied with the quality of the preseason. The league made a presentation to owners about ways to improve the current preseason Tuesday.

Under the current system, most NFL teams play 20 games -- four in the preseason and 16 during the regular season. Because of injury concerns to starters, many teams only play starters for only a series in the preseason opener and often don't play starters in the final preseason game.

"We are not satisfied with the quality of the preseason right now," Goodell said. "We'd like to improve on that."

By adding a 17th regular season game, more revenue could be created to help in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement. NFL owners voted 32-0 on Tuesday to shorten the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA to 2011, with 2010 being played without a salary cap.

"It would create new revenue," Goodell said. "Our thought process was we might reduce preseason by a game in return for that. Actually, the players would still play the same number of games. It could give us an opportunity to play a higher quality of football."

Goodell noted that the NFL used to have six preseason games.

"Now, it's become more of a year-round business," Goodell said. "Athletes come in better prepared for the season both physically and mentally. Is it necessary to play four preseason games to get the players prepared to play in the regular season?"

For competitive purposes, the ninth home game would alternate between the conferences every other year, should the NFL use the 17th game option.

NFL Players Association executive director Gene Upshaw didn't seem thrilled with the possibility of playing 17 regular-game games.

"No, it's great to have more revenue," Upshaw said. "Any discussion we've had with them about playing another game, they've always said, they would like to do it, but they don't want to pay for it. They say, 'Why should you be concerned, you get 60 percent?' But we also get paid on games played.

"We're not going to agree to play an extra game and not get paid for it. That's what they want us to do," he said. "That discussion is going to be very short."

Old Tiger
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
If they do that IMO they need to get rid of wild cards

Texasfootball2
05-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
If they do that IMO they need to get rid of wild cards Why:doh: All there doing is possibly eliminating a preseason game. The wild card system in the NFL is what makes late Nov. and Dec. games interesting. An without the wildcard system in the NFL the last week of the preseason would be boring. As it is now they give you Umpteen dozed cinerio's of what can happen if this teams win/loss's/ties ect........ Pesonally I would love for them to cut out one preseason game and add a game that counts.

PHS Wildcats
05-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Why:doh: All there doing is possibly eliminating a preseason game. The wild card system in the NFL is what makes late Nov. and Dec. games interesting. An without the wildcard system in the NFL the last week of the preseason would be boring. As it is now they give you Umpteen dozed cinerio's of what can happen if this teams win/loss's/ties ect........ Pesonally I would love for them to cut out one preseason game and add a game that counts.

I agree:clap:

Old Tiger
05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
Would an extra regular season game really count for anything except maybe wildcards....no. Most home field/playoff locks are decided by week 13/14.

ronwx5x
05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I agree:clap:

If there had been no Wild Card game last year, we would have had a different Super Bowl Champ, that's for sure!

Texasfootball2
05-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Would an extra regular season game really count for anything except maybe wildcards....no. Most home field/playoff locks are decided by week 13/14.
I'm going to have to disagree. I haven't excatly looked this up but if my memory serves me right. The home field advantage has not been solidified until week 15 or 16. The Patriots and Colts several times in the AFC (Chargers one year), and the Packers and Cowboys went down to the wire last year. The Bears didn't lock down home field advantage until week 16 two years ago. And the wildcards are never decided until week 17.

Weak arguement Blue. The Wildcard is without question the greatest marketing tool ever invented, and the NFL has been doing it forever. Many superbowl champs have come from the wildcard including our beloved Cowboys a couple of times. Recently, the Steelers and Giants have won the super bowl and were wildcards.

LH Panther Mom
05-21-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Weak arguement Blue.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Surely you jest! :p ;)

Highschoolfan78
05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
If anything, i think they should add 2 more wildcard teams to each conference. I liked it better when more teams could slip in with the wildcard instead of the 4 division winners taking up all the spots. There are alot of second place division teams or third place division teams that lose out a spot to a crappy team that won a different division.

crzyjournalist03
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
sounds like a good idea to me...no more .500 seasons; season ticket holders actually get an extra game every two years instead of being forced to pay for a preseason home game that nobody wants tickets to.