PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Impact by New 3A Team

kepdawg
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Which newcomer to 3A NOT NAMED BROWNWOOD will have the biggest impact this season?
(I know some of the schools have been 3A in the past.)

Bryan Rudder
Alvarado
Burnet
Fort Worth Carter-Riverside
Fredericksburg
Huffman Hargrave
Lubbock Estacado
Paris
Paris North Lamar
Robstown
San Antonio Houston
Anna
Edna
Farmersville
New Boston
San Antonio Hawkins
Tatum

cshscougar08
05-19-2008, 02:28 PM
I think Tatum and Farmersville will make the most noise. More so Tatum since they have been 3A pretty recently.

Hill Man
05-19-2008, 03:24 PM
going to say one not on the list.. Canyon Lake...
First year varsity sports this next season but from an area ripe with a winning tradition - Smithson Valley..

Canyon Lake is in a tough district with LH, Burnet, Fred and Wimperely but I think they may sneak up on somebody to make the playoffs...

Silverback 04
05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Hill Man
going to say one not on the list.. Canyon Lake...
First year varsity sports this next season but from an area ripe with a winning tradition - Smithson Valley..

Canyon Lake is in a tough district with LH, Burnet, Fred and Wimperely but I think they may sneak up on somebody to make the playoffs...

All of that is correct, alot of talent down in that area, but I think you might have to give them a couple years. I'm going with Fredericksburg.

BILLYFRED0000
05-19-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
All of that is correct, alot of talent down in that area, but I think you might have to give them a couple years. I'm going with Fredericksburg.
Fred or burnet would be my picks.

eppy 12
05-19-2008, 03:34 PM
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/rhslogo2.gif just kidding......:p

icu812
05-19-2008, 03:41 PM
It will be interesting to see how the 2 Paris teams do in 3A. Paris is loaded with talent. Except for having several D1 players it didn't amount to much in 4A but it might in 3A.

Tatum won state last time they were 3A so they could be a factor although they will be in a dog fight to even make the playoffs in their district.

1. Gilmer
2. Chapel Hill
3. Tatum
4. Bullard
5. Spring Hill
6. Gladewater

Old Green
05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Robstown wil make some noise in Baseball. The 3a district around CC just got a lot tougher in Baseball.

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04

I agree. But you never know. Look what Denton Ryan did in it's first couple years of existance. And didnt Argyle come out of the gate pretty strong a few years back?
Also, will Canyon Lake even be playing varsity ball this year? Sometime new schools dont play varsity their first couple of years. But I havent heard whether they will or not.

kepdawg
05-19-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I agree. But you never know. Look what Denton Ryan did in it's first couple years of existance. And didnt Argyle come out of the gate pretty strong a few years back?
Also, will Canyon Lake even be playing varsity ball this year? Sometime new schools dont play varsity their first couple of years. But I havent heard whether they will or not.

Ryan wasn't very good for several years!

mwynn05
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
kep is right...look for Guyer to be good soon too if not this year than the next, all of the growth is out on that side of town, denton isd had to rezone and send some kids to denton high because guyer was already going to be over crowded in only like its 4th year to be open, growth has increased that much...

nobogey72
05-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Which newcomer to 3A NOT NAMED BROWNWOOD will have the biggest impact this season?
(I know some of the schools have been 3A in the past.)

Bryan Rudder
Alvarado
Burnet
Fort Worth Carter-Riverside
Fredericksburg
Huffman Hargrave
Lubbock Estacado
Paris
Paris North Lamar
Robstown
San Antonio Houston
Anna
Edna
Farmersville
New Boston
San Antonio Hawkins
Tatum

I say Brownwood.:taunt:

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 05:18 PM

I had a niece and nephew going to Denton High when Ryan was being built, and had the option to go to Ryan once it was opened. I know it wasnt very long after that before they won state. Seems like it was just a year or two, but thats been awhile back now and my memory sucks.

Old Tiger
05-19-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by icu812
It will be interesting to see how the 2 Paris teams do in 3A. Paris is loaded with talent. Except for having several D1 players it didn't amount to much in 4A but it might in 3A.

Tatum won state last time they were 3A so they could be a factor although they will be in a dog fight to even make the playoffs in their district.

1. Gilmer
2. Chapel Hill
3. Tatum
4. Bullard
5. Spring Hill
6. Gladewater Tatums talent is gone from that state team and I don't think there could be that much more left.

Old Tiger
05-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Bryan Rudder could surprise people next year IMO.

block&tackle
05-19-2008, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I think Tatum and Farmersville will make the most noise. More so Tatum since they have been 3A pretty recently.
Farmersville lost their coaches as well as much of their talent, plus the coaching change has created a lot of infighting...except for the fact that they play in one of 3A's weakest districts, I can't see them doing much.

Old Tiger
05-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by block&tackle
Farmersville lost their coaches as well as much of their talent, plus the coaching change has created a lot of infighting...except for the fact that they play in one of 3A's weakest districts, I can't see them doing much. China Spring district is one of the weakest also.

LH Panther Mom
05-19-2008, 08:52 PM
Also, will Canyon Lake even be playing varsity ball this year? Sometime new schools dont play varsity their first couple of years. But I havent heard whether they will or not. I guess if they hadn't planned to, they better start, since every other team in the district has them scheduled for Fridays. :D ;)

cshscougar08
05-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
China Spring district is one of the weakest also.

It sure is.

kepdawg
05-20-2008, 12:15 AM
I had a niece and nephew going to Denton High when Ryan was being built, and had the option to go to Ryan once it was opened. I know it wasnt very long after that before they won state. Seems like it was just a year or two, but thats been awhile back now and my memory sucks.

Denton Ryan (http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/dentonryan94-06.gif)

Courtesy of WOS87's fine work. :)

WOS87
05-20-2008, 04:19 AM

You beat me to it!

Most people forget that Ryan only went 13-47 (21.6% winning percentage) in their first 6 seasons (1994-1999).

The following 8 seasons (2000-2007) they went 88-21 (80.7% winning percentage)

It's very difficult for a brand new program to succeed right out of the gate. Some of the new schools will only consist of grades 9-11 their first year which will essentially mean they will have a JV team playing a varsity schedule.

I recently put this together for the 5A folks showing the inaugural season records of the last 166 5A schools to join UIL competition.

Only 30 of them were able to put up a winning record in their first season.

Only 8 managed to qualify for the playoffs and 3 of those 8 consisted of 2 schools that were the result of mergers (West Brook and Victoria Memorial) and Dallas Jesuit (which had a 60 year tradition of winning in the Private ranks). So there were really only 5 Brand New schools out of 166 that made the postseason: Harker Heights, Cypress Ridge, Ft Bend Hightower, Klein Oak and Brazoswood. Harker Heights was the only one to actually advance past the 1st round.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/stats/5a/Inauguralseason.gif

lostaussie
05-20-2008, 09:19 AM
Not named Brownwood................I will say both Paris and North Lamar.

NastySlot
05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
my take on a few things.......canyon lake has a long way to go...reminds of smithson valley when it first opened......very rural with no sense of community yet......sub varsitys were average...when the building boom takes place here (like it did in the bulverde area for SV) look for some success...they do have a good staff in place.............fredericksburg will be ok....believe it or not they have been playing with a 3A enrollment the past two seasons...they were below the cutoff the day realignment came out on the previous r&r........and had two really solid classes that would have made more noise in 3A then the classes coming through............but the kids in fred. work really hard but that district is tough(LH is my pick to win it)............now people will rip me.............but look for brownwood imo to make an impact.......and of all the new schools with early success on the list the ones I remember doing well after opening were houston stratford and the craig james led spartans..........they won state four years after opening and I believe willowridge had immediate success.

NastySlot
05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
you do a great job and i enjoy the info. you provide. I have a question.....you have S.A Macarthur listed on the list with an opening season being 1952............you might have an answer here.......I was under the impression that MacArthur was the old Northeast High School..........did Northeast close and Mac open or did NE just change names to Ma or did NE open in 52.

c-town_balla
05-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Frds pretty good......lotta big guys for lines and while they dont have the "speed" skill guys they just seem like hard workers

NastySlot
05-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
Frds pretty good......lotta big guys for lines and while they dont have the "speed" skill guys they just seem like hard workers

your right about having little speed.....the games with cameron the past two seasons were pretty good.

STANG RED
05-20-2008, 09:56 AM

Shows just how bad my memory really does suck.:(
It doesnt seem like it took them that long to get good. But I guess 6 years really isnt all that long anyway. I sure thought it was much less though.
Thanks for the info.

slpybear the bullfan
05-20-2008, 10:49 AM
Farmersville.

charlesrixey
05-20-2008, 10:52 AM

ryan was horrible for five years before becoming greatness

Black_Magic
05-20-2008, 11:21 AM
In region one I think Estacado will make some noise. They are a playoff team in 4a and return some good players. Dont think they will go past round 3 but should be good.

WOS87
05-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
you do a great job and i enjoy the info. you provide. I have a question.....you have S.A Macarthur listed on the list with an opening season being 1952............you might have an answer here.......I was under the impression that MacArthur was the old Northeast High School..........did Northeast close and Mac open or did NE just change names to Ma or did NE open in 52.

San Antonio North East had their first varsity season in 1952 and was the only high school in North East ISD. The district gained enough in population to open a 2nd high school in 1958 (which was San Antonio Lee). When Lee opened, the original North East High school changed to MacArthur.

K-MAC Chuck
05-25-2008, 06:50 AM

Stang,
Canyon Lake WILL field a varsity team this year...their coach is Matt Monzingo, a really good guy who guided Pflugerville Connally (4A) to a couple district titles and to the playoffs on a regular basis..the Cougars went to state semis 3 years ago, and usually went 2-3 rounds in the playoffs..

They will be tough but probably not for at least a year or 2 in FB..plus, as was pointed out in this thread, they play in a TOUGH district...:cool:

NastySlot
05-26-2008, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by WOS87
San Antonio North East had their first varsity season in 1952 and was the only high school in North East ISD. The district gained enough in population to open a 2nd high school in 1958 (which was San Antonio Lee). When Lee opened, the original North East High school changed to MacArthur.

thanks for the info....man you do a great job.

icu812
05-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Tatums talent is gone from that state team and I don't think there could be that much more left.

True most of the kids that played on the state teams are gone but the talent isn't. Tatum has a talent pool so deep that even global climate change can't dry it up.