PDA

View Full Version : Breckenridge 7 yr old killed by 2 Pit Bulls

nobogey72
05-19-2008, 09:59 AM
It was in the Abilene Reporter News this morning but I don't know how to do the link. It happened over the weekend.:mad: :mad:

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
It was in the Abilene Reporter News this morning but I don't know how to do the link. It happened over the weekend.:mad: :mad:
sad sad sad

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 10:01 AM

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/may/19/dogs-kill-breckenridge-boy/

BwdLions
05-19-2008, 10:13 AM
What a shame. This happens way too often. Those dogs are trouble.

Texasfootball2
05-19-2008, 10:13 AM
This is absolutely horrible and seems to be happening all to often. I would love to hear PETA's opinion on this issue.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Do any of you have any idea what happens to a pit that is brought into your local dog pound??

I know in Midland if a Pit is picked up by the dog catcher and not claimed....or if a pit is surrendered to the pound, they are euthanized...our pound will NOT adopt out any pit bulls!!

BreckTxLonghorn
05-19-2008, 10:23 AM
:(

GreenMonster
05-19-2008, 10:27 AM
When are people going to learn? These dogs ARE dangerous. It doesn't matter what you think or what you say. ALL DOGS BITE, and these dogs are psychotic when they get incited enough to bite. They don't know when to quit because they have been bred to be aggressive and to fight to the death. You can say that it's all in how they are raised etc etc etc, but like the old saying goes you can take the dog out of the fight but you can't take the fight out of the dog. If you own one of these animals keep it penned up, chained up, or locked up before it maims or kills someone.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
When are people going to learn? These dogs ARE dangerous. It doesn't matter what you think or what you say. ALL DOGS BITE, and these dogs are psychotic when they get incited enough to bite. They don't know when to quit because they have been bred to be aggressive and to fight to the death. You can say that it's all in how they are raised etc etc etc, but like the old saying goes you can take the dog out of the fight but you can't take the fight out of the dog. If you own one of these animals keep it penned up, chained up, or locked up before it maims or kills someone.

Their "bite" is also a lot different than another breeds bite might be, just because of the sheer jaw power!!!

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Here we go again. One of the posters on the other thread mentioned how rare this happens....:(

I'm sorry, but these dogs serve absolutely no benefit. I would be in favor of these municipalities or countys passing ordinances.

These dogs are killing machines. How many kidos have to die before we do something?

Do we allow people to have mountain lions and let them run lose? How about a bear?

Chief Woodman
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Go google pit bull deaths. Look at the faces of many children AND adults who have been mauled to death. Small childeren, 12-yr olds, 80 somethings, 40 somethings. Most stories have a common theme- they owned the dog, had always treated it right and the dog had never shown any tendency to bite people before. If you have small children or may one day have small children and you own a pit bull - what in the world makes you want one so bad you would kill your own child to have one?

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Heard a great line yesterday that fits this to a tee.
"If you flirt with death enough, your going to get a date"

Adults that put themselves in harms way is one thing, but when they put their children in harms way, that is not only irresponsible, it is child abuse. What are these people thinking?:confused:

nobogey72
05-19-2008, 11:39 AM
I think if owners were charged with some level of murder or manslaughter in these cases, they would be a little more cautious about owning dogs that are capable of this. Or at least they would be more diligent about keeping them penned up and away from the public. Pisses me off so bad.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 11:45 AM
I think if owners were charged with some level of murder or manslaughter in these cases, they would be a little more cautious about owning dogs that are capable of this. Or at least they would be more diligent about keeping them penned up and away from the public. Pisses me off so bad.:mad: :mad: :mad:

We went to Zilker Park when we were in Austin....outside of the spillway is a place where lots of people take their dogs to play in the water. There had to be about 30 "big dogs" there and they were all playing around so nicely!!

All the sudden we heard barking and people yelling....we walked over there to see what was going on and some idiot had his pit off his leash and he was attacking other dogs!!

I saw him do this 3 times completely unprovoked by his chosen target. It wasn't a viscous attack, but he darn sure wasn't playing!!!

People finally started yelling at the idiot owner to put him back on his leash. Granted, the dog would stop his attack when the owner yelled at him....but geez louise.

Someone told him after he put the dog back on the leash that he needed to "get it out of here"....they guy came back with, "I oughta just turn him loose on you!"

We left at that point so I dont' know what happened from there on out!!!

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
We went to Zilker Park when we were in Austin....outside of the spillway is a place where lots of people take their dogs to play in the water. There had to be about 30 "big dogs" there and they were all playing around so nicely!!

All the sudden we heard barking and people yelling....we walked over there to see what was going on and some idiot had his pit off his leash and he was attacking other dogs!!

I saw him do this 3 times completely unprovoked by his chosen target. It wasn't a viscous attack, but he darn sure wasn't playing!!!

People finally started yelling at the idiot owner to put him back on his leash. Granted, the dog would stop his attack when the owner yelled at him....but geez louise.

Someone told him after he put the dog back on the leash that he needed to "get it out of here"....they guy came back with, "I oughta just turn him loose on you!"

We left at that point so I dont' know what happened from there on out!!!

Unfortunately, this seems to be the mentality of too many of these dog owners.

Looking4number8
05-19-2008, 11:50 AM
I am a big dog lover and even owned a pit one time. My daughter brought it home and told me it was a boxer. By the time I realized it was a pit, we already loved it. We were very lucky with this dog as it never showed any type of aggression. We were very careful with her because she was a pit but never had any touble. This was one of the sweetest dogs I ever owned.

With all that said, I do not agree with owning pits. I see these stories far too often. I loved that dog but keeping her was a big problem. We knew how strong she was. We took special care to keep her only with the family and close friends. As sweet as she was, I always worried how things could go if we did not take special care

I will never own another pit because of all the special care they need to keep them sweet. I feel fortunate that my pit never cause trouble. I could have never forgiven myself if mine had hurt a neighbors child.

If you want a big strong looking dog that show no agression get a boxer... look kind of like pits, but are wonder people dogs.

Looking4number8
05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Unfortunately, this seems to be the mentality of too many of these dog owners.

Agreeded.. Too bad we cant outlaw stupid people owning any type of dog.

BTW, I have no problem with jail time for owners of vicoius dogs.

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Agreed! And I actually love pit bulls. My best friend had one when we were growing up, and we had more fun with that dog than any dog I have ever known. We even taught him to jump up and take a stick out of our mouths. But it didnt go over too well with his dad when Bullger jumped up and took the cig out of his mouth on the front porch the next morning when he was trying to enjoy his first morning smoke lol. For some reason he didnt find it nearly as funny as we did.
But even as sweet and playful as he was, I saw him on more than one occasion show some very aggresive behavior towards certain people he didnt know, and have no doubt he would have attacked them, if he could have gotten to them. And I can attest first hand that this dog was never abused or treated with anything but love and care from day one to day last. But even so, the pit would certainly come out on occasion.

Sweetwater Red
05-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Does anyone remember the couple that owned a pair of dogs
that killed their neighbor in an apt. complex in San Francisco?

They got prison time didn't they?

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Does anyone remember the couple that owned a pair of dogs
that killed their neighbor in an apt. complex in San Francisco?

They got prison time didn't they?

Yes....... link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Knoller)

Sweetwater Red
05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
Yes........Marjorie Knoller and Robert Noel (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Knoller)

I can't open the link but I did find this. It's a long read but here's
the opening paragraphs.

In January 2001, two dogs killed Diane Whipple of San Francisco as she tried to enter her apartment. In the year that followed, shocking details emerged about the case, and criminal charges ranging all the way to murder were filed against the owners of the dogs, Marjorie Knoller and Robert Noel.

The guilty verdicts that were rendered in March 2002 did not finish the case. They rather were the start of its appellate phase, focusing upon the circumstances under which a dog owner should be found guilty of murder when her dog kills a person. In May 2007, the California Supreme Court sent the case back to the trial court for a new decision that most likely will start a fresh round of appeals. (To read about the latest decision, click here.)

Attorney Kenneth Phillips, the author of Dog Bite Law, appeared regularly on CNN, CourtTV, and network television, giving extensive commentaries on the criminal prosecution as it took place. This section of Dog Bite Law was referred to as "the bible of the trial" and is the most comprehensive source of information about it, containing summaries of trial testimony, names of witnesses, legal analysis of the charges, clarification of the appellate case, and much more.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/Whipple.html

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I can't open the link but I did find this. It's a long read but here's
the opening paragraphs.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/Whipple.html

I don't know what I did wrong...it's working now, i think!

Sweetwater Red
05-19-2008, 12:22 PM
I don't know what I did wrong...it's working now, i think!

Got it! :thumbsup:

injuredinmelee
05-19-2008, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Heard a great line yesterday that fits this to a tee.
"If you flirt with death enough, your going to get a date"

Adults that put themselves in harms way is one thing, but when they put their children in harms way, that is not only irresponsible, it is child abuse. What are these people thinking?:confused:

u watching westerns all weekend? Sounds like fun to me.

turbostud
05-19-2008, 01:26 PM

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
check a few threads below!

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
u watching westerns all weekend? Sounds like fun to me.

ha ha, actually no, I was listening to Sirius Roadhouse on my way back to Ft. Worth last night and they were talking about some songwriter that used to be a test pilot. I think it was one of his commanders that used that phrase on him. I just thought it was a great line.