PDA

View Full Version : Family of injured player suing bat maker, Little League (merged)

Antec
05-18-2008, 04:18 PM
http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/894/story/247472.html

Astrosdawg07
05-18-2008, 04:24 PM
This is ridiculous...I'm willing to bet any amount of money that this kid used a metal bat as well, so that right there is a double standard. Also parents should know the dangers of playing the sport. The pitcher is in the most dangerous position out there, so they were ok with it until he got hurt.

KingRob
05-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Sad story, and I really don't want to pass judgement here, but I can see both sides of the story. Whether we like it or not, accidents happen.

I was out jogging two years ago and tripped on some stairs and broke my ankle. Why did they have stairs there? Was it really necessary? Could there have been a ramp instead?

I feel for the parents. What a tragedy.

No one is promised tomorrow.

NastySlot
05-18-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
This is ridiculous...I'm willing to bet any amount of money that this kid used a metal bat as well, so that right there is a double standard. Also parents should know the dangers of playing the sport. The pitcher is in the most dangerous position out there, so they were ok with it until he got hurt.

I agree with you...I feel for the kid but if the parents knew the bats were dangerous and unsafe...why did they allow their son to continue to play?....are they not at the same level of fault as the bat maker, the store and the league. Why not lobby to make changes to the bats or have them outlawed?

ronwx5x
05-18-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by KingRob
Sad story, and I really don't want to pass judgement here, but I can see both sides of the story. Whether we like it or not, accidents happen.

I was out jogging two years ago and tripped on some stairs and broke my ankle. Why did they have stairs there? Was it really necessary? Could there have been a ramp instead?

I feel for the parents. What a tragedy.

No one is promised tomorrow.

This sounds very much like suing a gun manufacturer when someone is shot. Was the bat defective? Probably not, but suing the manufacturer has been done sucessfully and the parents need someone to blame .

IMO it was a terrible accident and no one's fault. But what do I know?

Emerson1
05-18-2008, 04:56 PM
In coach pitch here, they the player playing pitcher wear a heart protector.

zebrablue2
05-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
This sounds very much like suing a gun manufacturer when someone is shot. Was the bat defective? Probably not, but suing the manufacturer has been done sucessfully and the parents need someone to blame .

IMO it was a terrible accident and no one's fault. But what do I know?

:iagree:-- believe me, this family had several lawyers on their doorstep after this happened. god bless the family and child. a very sad story...

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 07:49 AM
This is simply another case of abulance chasing lawyers trying to make a quick buck. And sadly the bat manufacturer will pay out millions before it is over one way or the other. Only the lawyers will win in this one.:mad:
This was nobodies fault. These things just happen sometime, but i know the family is hurting terribley and is simply lashing out looking for answers that arent there. And I'm sure there were several abulance chasers beating down their doors within hours. Sad sad situation!:(

CenTexSports
05-19-2008, 08:05 AM
It is SOMEBODY's fault; the parents! They chose to let him play and they assumed the risks for this action. Nobody withheld information about potential injuries or risks. Kids growing up are subjected to potential harm every day. Riding a bicycle, riding in a car, even from choking while eating. To place the blame on others is a copout and lacking the intestinal fortitude to take responsibility.

I feel very bad for both the child and the parents and I hope that he regains 100% of his lost life and I also hope that the generosity of others will help deminish the financial hardship on the parents.

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
It is SOMEBODY's fault; the parents! They chose to let him play and they assumed the risks for this action. Nobody withheld information about potential injuries or risks. Kids growing up are subjected to potential harm every day. Riding a bicycle, riding in a car, even from choking while eating. To place the blame on others is a copout and lacking the intestinal fortitude to take responsibility.

I feel very bad for both the child and the parents and I hope that he regains 100% of his lost life and I also hope that the generosity of others will help deminish the financial hardship on the parents.

This is the kind of finger pointing I do not agree with. It is no one's fault, it was an accident. The parents were not at fault. They did not intentionally put their child in harm's way. They probably feel guilty and helpless and a lawsuit can allow them to feel it was avoidable and the fault of someone other than themselves. To paint it as "a copout" is using the same type of inflammatory language the lawyers would use to blame the manufacturer

Reds fan
05-19-2008, 08:24 AM
As terrible an accident as this was it was still a risk the family assumed as soon as he started playing baseball. We all take risk every moment of our lives. No one is at fault. The family would not want me sitting on the jury of this case.

Chief Woodman
05-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I had a daughter who died at age 5 from cancer. Should I sue the American Cancer society because they did not find a cure soon enough? I think we all know the answer to that rhetorical question. I am truly sorry for the parents situation but folks...they had a choice about their childs participation and should not be lashing out at others with unjustified anger for THEIR choice.

I know as well as anyone the anguish and pain they are enduring, and I acknowledge their loss. I can see through their current behaviors that the actions they are taking are on a deeper level an attempt to lessen or remove their deep pain. However, a measure of truth needs to be injected here. Their actions are inappropriate and will only serve to make the grief process even longer and more difficult than it has to be. Yes, you are making your pain worse, not making it better. Take a deep breath parents, and let a year or so pass before you make any decision about suing anyone. Even then keep this fact in mind- you signed papers that indicated YOU were willing to take a risk with your childs health so that they could play. As hard as it is, please do not blame others for your choice.

CenTexSports
05-19-2008, 08:45 AM
As unfortunate as the end result was, it was not an accident. It was the result of several planned events. The young man practiced pitching, the batter practiced batting, the pitcher threw the ball so that the batter could hit it.
An accident is an unforseen result of an action and this could definately be forseen as a result of these actions.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 08:52 AM
I firmly believe in the old adage..."$h*t Happens!"

Everything isn't somebody else's fault.....we have a lawyer that offices right next door to us, their conference room and my office share the same wall, and at times it sounds like they are in here with me.....I hear discussion of the some of the most STUPID lawsuits!!

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 08:52 AM
As unfortunate as the end result was, it was not an accident. It was the result of several planned events. The young man practiced pitching, the batter practiced batting, the pitcher threw the ball so that the batter could hit it.
An accident is an unforseen result of an action and this could definately be forseen as a result of these actions.

Foreseen? I don't think so. A possibility, but very remote. I doubt anyone ever practiced hitting the pitcher and I sure don't think the batter aimed the ball. Once again, a horrible accident and there is no FAULT to be placed. Labeling it as "fault" would indicate to me they should have known better. I believe the thought of this happening never entered anyone's mind until after the fact.

Adidas410s
05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
My only question is why the hell was a 12 yr old kid swinging a 31 oz bat??? Maybe it's a typo and should say 21oz.

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 09:13 AM
i hate that the kid was hurt but this is just stupid

CenTexSports
05-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Your argument is what causes people to get hurt. I run a plant and before I came to it there was an average of 10 accidents a year and 2 lost time accidents a year.

As of today, we have not had a lost time accident in almost 6 years and we have averaged 1 recordable accident over the last 4 years. When people take responsibility for their actions and do proactive measures to keep them from happening then everyone is safer.

Accidents just don't happen. The actions that eventually lead to an injury are done many times before they actually hurt someone. This is true everywhere.

Spend some time thinking about this and watch around you. You will see people mowing their yard barefooted, weedeating without safety glasses and driving too fast in bad weather. But when a foot gets cut off, an eye gets put out or a wreck injures or kills someone, it is still called an accident.

Just some food for thought.

And for RM, I love you but I totally disagree, it does not just happen. People do stupid things that make it happen and I HATE that saying.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 09:29 AM

And for RM, I love you but I totally disagree, it does not just happen. People do stupid things that make it happen and I HATE that saying.

In 1980 my dad was working for SWB....he went in for his morning glass of tea at a little cafe and was leaving!

When he was leaving he had to go over a speed bump......the "bump" caused his battery tester that was hanging in the back to spark.....which would have been no big deal, BUT the accetolyne (sp) tank that was back there happened to be leaking....his truck exploded.

Had he not been wearing a a down-filled vest at the time, he would be dead. The explosion was in a compartment behind his seat and threw him forward into the steering wheel, where his vest then exploded, cushioning his chest somewhat.

When the ambulance got there they were looking for a chicken truck because of the feathers.

My dad worked for SWB for 38 years and nothing like that had ever happened before.

He had lawyers beating his door wanting him to sue everyone from SWB, to the maker of the accetolyne tank to the maker of the battery tester....the way my dad looked it, it was just a series of events that caused that particular chain reaction and NO ONE was at fault.

He was in ICU for 6 days, in the hospital for a total of 22 days and out of work for 6 months, collected his worker's comp and went back....and retired 18 years later.

I don't think anyone did a STUPID thing.....it was an unforeseen pattern of events and the outcome would not have happened if one thing had been different.

Needless to say, the accetolyne tanks are now carried on the outside of the truck!!

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Your argument is what causes people to get hurt. I run a plant and before I came to it there was an average of 10 accidents a year and 2 lost time accidents a year.

As of today, we have not had a lost time accident in almost 6 years and we have averaged 1 recordable accident over the last 4 years. When people take responsibility for their actions and do proactive measures to keep them from happening then everyone is safer.

Accidents just don't happen. The actions that eventually lead to an injury are done many times before they actually hurt someone. This is true everywhere.

Spend some time thinking about this and watch around you. You will see people mowing their yard barefooted, weedeating without safety glasses and driving too fast in bad weather. But when a foot gets cut off, an eye gets put out or a wreck injures or kills someone, it is still called an accident.

I agree accidents can be held to a minimum by paying attention to the surroundings. There is indeed an understanding that accidents will happen, and people need to take care to keep them at the minimum possible. I flew fighter jets in the air force for over six years. My last assignment was honored for having 50,000 hours accident free flying. But guess what. One eventually happened. My not flying would only have kept me from having an accident, not keep accidents from happening.

Now, what should the parents have done to avoid this accident? The only solution you offered was to not allow their son to play at all.

Adidas410s
05-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In 1980 my dad was working for SWB....he went in for his morning glass of tea at a little cafe and was leaving!

When he was leaving he had to go over a speed bump......the "bump" caused his battery tester that was hanging in the back to spark.....which would have been no big deal, BUT the accetolyne (sp) tank that was back there happened to be leaking....his truck exploded.

Had he not been wearing a a down-filled vest at the time, he would be dead. The explosion was in a compartment behind his seat and threw him forward into the steering wheel, where his vest then exploded, cushioning his chest somewhat.

When the ambulance got there they were looking for a chicken truck because of the feathers.

My dad worked for SWB for 38 years and nothing like that had ever happened before.

He had lawyers beating his door wanting him to sue everyone from SWB, to the maker of the accetolyne tank to the maker of the battery tester....the way my dad looked it, it was just a series of events that caused that particular chain reaction and NO ONE was at fault.

He was in ICU for 6 days, in the hospital for a total of 22 days and out of work for 6 months, collected his worker's comp and went back....and retired 18 years later.

I don't think anyone did a STUPID thing.....it was an unforeseen pattern of events and the outcome would not have happened if one thing had been different.

Needless to say, the accetolyne tanks are now carried on the outside of the truck!!
That's kind of proving his point. In this case, the makers of the accetolyne tank poorly positioned the tank on the truck and SWB didn't see that to be a problem. I hate to say it, but when you see how little it took to cause the explosion, you can see that it was a time bomb just waiting to explode.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
That's kind of proving his point. In this case, the makers of the accetolyne tank poorly positioned the tank on the truck and SWB didn't see that to be a problem. I hate to say it, but when you see how little it took to cause the explosion, you can see that it was a time bomb just waiting to explode.

I see that....but it was only stupid "after the fact!!!"

CenTexSports
05-19-2008, 09:40 AM
But you make my point. Carrying an accetolyne tank inside the cab of a truck is an accident waiting to happen. By removing this, it eliminates the possibility.

ronwx5x; If the parents did not want their son to ever be subjected to the possibility of being hurt playing baseball, then yes they should not have allowed him to play.

I think people that are hurt or killed by defective equipment or willfull neglegence (sp) should be compensated. But people that willingly accept the standard risk of an activity should not cry foul when the potential comes to pass.

Once again, I feel badly for the boy and his family and only wish the best for all of them.

Adidas410s
05-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I see that....but it was only stupid "after the fact!!!" Whether or not it ever exploded, it was always a "stupid idea." That's kind of like saying it's ok to carry a stick of dynamite in your purse...but it's only stupid to do so AFTER it goes off.

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 09:46 AM
But you make my point. Carrying an accetolyne tank inside the cab of a truck is an accident waiting to happen. By removing this, it eliminates the possibility.

ronwx5x; If the parents did not want their son to ever be subjected to the possibility of being hurt playing baseball, then yes they should not have allowed him to play.

I think people that are hurt or killed by defective equipment or willfull neglegence (sp) should be compensated. But people that willingly accept the standard risk of an activity should not cry foul when the potential comes to pass.

Once again, I feel badly for the boy and his family and only wish the best for all of them.

Then why are we disagreeing? I can't pick a fight with someone who is on my side! :foul:

Problem is, the lawyers will have enough of a case to spend a lot of someone's money, both that of the parents and that of the bat manufacturer. This will probably wind up being settled out of court with no one happy or any better off for the experience (except the attorneys, of course). I doubt it will make this sport or any sport "accident free".

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Whether or not it ever exploded, it was always a "stupid idea." That's kind of like saying it's ok to carry a stick of dynamite in your purse...but it's only stupid to do so AFTER it goes off.

We will just have to agree to disagree....I don't look at it that way!!

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 10:12 AM
it wasn't looked at as a stupid idea when the NFL had the goal posts at the front of the endzone but after multiple injuries they moved it to the back of the endzone.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
it wasn't looked at as a stupid idea when the NFL had the goal posts at the front of the endzone but after multiple injuries they moved it to the back of the endzone.

Live and learn.....IMO, just because an idea turns out to be "not the best idea in hindsight"...that doesn't automatically make it and/or the people STUPID!!

Although...I can see where "Negative Nancy's " would think so....always looking for SOMEONE to blame!! Which puts us right back at square one!!

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Live and learn.....IMO, just because an idea turns out to be "not the best idea in hindsight"...that doesn't automatically make it and/or the people STUPID!!

Although...I can see where "Negative Nancy's " would think so....always looking for SOMEONE to blame!! Which puts us right back at square one!!

yep!

BuffyMars
05-19-2008, 11:28 AM
WAYNE, N.J. — A New Jersey couple, whose son was struck in the chest with a line drive, is planning to sue the maker of a metal baseball bat used in the game.

Two years ago, Steven Domalewski was pitching when the ball slammed into his chest and stopped his heart. He was resuscitated but now has brain damage and is severely disabled.

The family contends metal baseball bats are inherently unsafe for youth games because the ball comes off them much faster than from wooden bats. The lawsuit will also be filed against Little League Baseball and a sporting goods chain that sold the bat.

An attorney says Domalewski will need millions of dollars worth of medical care for the rest of his life.

The bat maker says while it sympathizes with Steven and his family, the bat is not to blame for the injury.

http://www.foxnews.com/images/371063/1_61_051808_bat1_320.jpg

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356505,00.html

HEMOTOXIC
05-19-2008, 11:33 AM
Wow, Im really interested in seeing how this lawsuit will play out. Right now, Im siding with the maker of the bat.

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 11:54 AM
Let me take a different approach here.

First, let me say, I do not think the family should sue the bat manufacturer. It was an awful accident.

However, I do think the efforts to "juice" these bats has gone a bit too far. These bats are way too hot. Look, you have kids in college that are 5'9" 160lbs hitting double digit homeruns in a season. There is absolutely no reason for these bats to be this hot. I think it actually affects the integrity of the game.

I do think there needs to be a serious look at these bats. Not sure that we need to ban aluminum, but the "hotness" needs to be seriously looked at.

And I have a problem with one manufacturer advertising that you can "bean the 3rd baseman..." Huh?

sahen
05-19-2008, 11:55 AM

i work at a plant too and this is bull...all accidents are preventable which is true, they are preventable if you dont live your life, at work preventing the accident is one thing but in real life its totally different...the kid wasnt working at a plant being paid to be safe...when i am at work i follow all the rules because i am being paid to do that and i do not want to be hurt at work or get my coworkers hurt, this kid was playing baseball...if i was a physicist i would calculate the actual odds of the baseball being hit hard enough and in the exact right spot in space to hit this kid in teh chest but that isnt what i do, but i can tell you the odds of this happening are astronomically low and the only way for this not to happen is either the kid play a different position (in which the odds would be the same, but on this play he would have not been hit) or not play baseball at all....stuff happens in life when you live it, sure if everyone lived in their bubble and never actually did anythign it'd be a lot safer but what would be the point of living....its about mitigating risk, at work the managers can make it mandatory to not allow any risk but in life if you do that it wouldnt be worth living...

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by sahen
i work at a plant too and this is bull...all accidents are preventable which is true, they are preventable if you dont live your life, at work preventing the accident is one thing but in real life its totally different...the kid wasnt working at a plant being paid to be safe...when i am at work i follow all the rules because i am being paid to do that and i do not want to be hurt at work or get my coworkers hurt, this kid was playing baseball...if i was a physicist i would calculate the actual odds of the baseball being hit hard enough and in the exact right spot in space to hit this kid in teh chest but that isnt what i do, but i can tell you the odds of this happening are astronomically low and the only way for this not to happen is either the kid play a different position (in which the odds would be the same, but on this play he would have not been hit) or not play baseball at all....stuff happens in life when you live it, sure if everyone lived in their bubble and never actually did anythign it'd be a lot safer but what would be the point of living....its about mitigating risk, at work the managers can make it mandatory to not allow any risk but in life if you do that it wouldnt be worth living...

You hit the nail on the head. Good post!
Also, who's to say this wouldnt have happened if it had been a wood bat? Sure the aluminum bat is hotter, and maybe that should be addressed, but thats not to say that a baseball traveling at a lesser velocity off of a wood bat wouldnt have done the same damage. Who really knows?

sahen
05-19-2008, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
You hit the nail on the head. Good post!
Also, who's to say this wouldnt have happened if it had been a wood bat? Sure the aluminum bat is hotter, and maybe that should be addressed, but thats not to say that a baseball traveling at a lesser velocity off of a wood bat wouldnt have done the same damage. Who really knows?

or on that same note, who is to say the kid couldnt have swang harder and hit the baseball at the same velocity he hit it w/ a metal bat....also, i always thought if you hit the bat in the sweet spot of a wood bat it goes further and faster than a metal bat, its just the sweet spot for metal bats are larger and you can swing it faster so a fly out when barely missing the sweet spot on a wood bat ends up a homer w/ a metal bat....or a broken bat lazy line drive w/ a wood bat ends up a screamer at the 3rd baseman's head, etc...if that is true then it would be possible to hit it harder w/ a wooden bat....but i dont know if that is a fact or not

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by sahen
or on that same note, who is to say the kid couldnt have swang harder and hit the baseball at the same velocity he hit it w/ a metal bat....also, i always thought if you hit the bat in the sweet spot of a wood bat it goes further and faster than a metal bat, its just the sweet spot for metal bats are larger and you can swing it faster so a fly out when barely missing the sweet spot on a wood bat ends up a homer w/ a metal bat....or a broken bat lazy line drive w/ a wood bat ends up a screamer at the 3rd baseman's head, etc...if that is true then it would be possible to hit it harder w/ a wooden bat....but i dont know if that is a fact or not

It has been proven that balls come off hotter on a metal/aluminum bat than they do wood.

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
It has been proven that balls come off hotter on a metal/aluminum bat than they do wood.

Maybe we should ban bats. And make owners get insurance policies on them. They are potentially dangerous so why not?

CenTexSports
05-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Well, we will just have to disagree on this. My boss was airlifted off a NC mountain this weekend because he chooses to ride four wheelers. I on the other hand will never have this problem because I don't like the mountains or four wheelers.

I strongly disagree that things just happen. They happen because of the choices we make. There are accidents and some are unavoidable but the vast majority are the result of conscience decisions and actions.

jason
05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
just ban baseball - its boring anyways...

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by jason
just ban baseball - its boring anyways...

+1

oh....and golf too!!:p :p

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Well, we will just have to disagree on this. My boss was airlifted off a NC mountain this weekend because he chooses to ride four wheelers. I on the other hand will never have this problem because I don't like the mountains or four wheelers.

I strongly disagree that things just happen. They happen because of the choices we make. There are accidents and some are unavoidable but the vast majority are the result of conscience decisions and actions.

So, because I chose to go to the movies in Houston one weekend I set into motion events that caused me to get rear ended? :thinking: That'll teach me not to leave the house!

kepdawg
05-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
So, because I chose to go to the movies in Houston one weekend I set into motion events that caused me to get rear ended? :thinking: That'll teach me not to leave the house!

If you would have been home would you have gotten rear ended? :thinking:

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
If you would have been home would you have gotten rear ended? :thinking: That's why I said that would teach me not to leave my house! :rolleyes:

:mad:

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM

I always have weird things happening to me....I must be the stupidist person I know!!

Is stupidist a word?? My spell checked doesn't think so!!

Forget it....I am so stupid I was misspelling it.

STUPIDEST!!:D

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 01:48 PM
I always have weird things happening to me....I must be the stupidist person I know!!

Is stupidist a word?? My spell checked doesn't think so!!

Forget it....I am so stupid I was misspelling it.

STUPIDEST!!:D

Me spell check? What are you, Irish? :D Nice edit job, by the way. Or is it the Scots that say "me" this or that? :thinking: :D

I think we may have just :hijacktd:

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Me spell check? What are you, Irish? :D Nice edit job, by the way. Or is it the Scots that say "me" this or that? :thinking: :D

I think we may have just :hijacktd:

I noticed the "me" as soon as it had posted!!;)

I tend to type "me" instead of "my" a lot!!:p

As far as the hijack goes...you are correct!! This is probably the most I have ever posted on a "baseball" thread!!:D

DaHop72
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
+1

oh....and golf too!!:p :p :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

slpybear the bullfan
05-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Wow, lots of discussion here...

Re the family... I am sure they are trying to get any dollars that they can for their son. Emotion has come into play (as it must given the tragedy) and so throw logic out the window.

There is no way that the bat mfg can be held responsible. But, given the talent and greed in the legal system, who knows what will happen.

Any parent whose kid plays LL or SB for any length of time knows the dangers of playing. ESPECIALLY a pitcher.

RE: all the preventable accident discussions... FMEA is a great tool to try and prevent accidents. It is Failure Mode and Effects Analysis. It is a systematic tool to examine all the possible dangers or potential problems and devise solutions... BEFORE there ever is an accident. It sounds so common sense, but you would be amazed at what these uncover.

We are using it at my job... is anyone else?

buff4life
05-20-2008, 01:33 PM
while i feel sorry for the family...

to put the blame on anybody much less the bat maker and the sporting good store is a joke and if the court rules in the families favor it is fairly sad to what this country is coming to

IT WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT

Ranger Mom
05-20-2008, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by buff4life
while i feel sorry for the family...

to put the blame on anybody much less the bat maker and the sporting good store is a joke and if the court rules in the families favor it is fairly sad to what this country is coming to

IT WAS A FREAK ACCIDENT

Didn't you read?????

There are no such thing as accidents....it's all caused by stupid people!!!!

orange machine
05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Wooden bats just break and then you have a jagged object flying around the field. You cant please everybody, but i do agree that the bats are juiced to much. The parents have the right to be upset and sad, but not the right to sue. The argument could be made that it is just as much fault of the boy who hit the ball as it was for the young man pitching it to him.

Emerson1
05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Wooden bats just break and then you have a jagged object flying around the field. You cant please everybody, but i do agree that the bats are juiced to much. The parents have the right to be upset and sad, but not the right to sue. The argument could be made that it is just as much fault of the boy who hit the ball as it was for the young man pitching it to him.
But the ball is flying off the bat at high speeds %100 of the time.

In the MLB, a bat breaks what, once a week throughout the league?

I don't think a kid could even have enough power to do that.

DU_stud04
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
In the MLB, a bat breaks what, once a week throughout the league?
more than that now with the maple bats that has been gaining popularity over the past years. they tend to shatter more than a nice ash. i read some article where they paid some dude alot of money to do research on the two types of bats, the ash cracks and the maple snaps. i blame barry bonds, sue him.