PDA

View Full Version : South Oak Cliff in trouble again....and maybe Kansas too

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Grade questions could void another SOC title

08:21 AM CDT on Friday, May 16, 2008

By BRETT SHIPP / WFAA-TV

DALLAS — The South Oak Cliff High School boys basketball team has already been forced to forfeit their 2006 state title. Now there are new questions about the team's 2005 state crown and its star athlete.

A News 8 investigation into improper grade changing has uncovered new potential problems, this time with Darrell Arthur, one of the highest profile amateur athletes in the nation. He not only helped South Oak Cliff win two state basketball championships; he just pulled down a coveted college basketball crown.

As a junior forward, Arthur was an A+ athlete on the court. But transcripts obtained by News 8 raise questions about whether he was actually making the grade in the classroom during his junior season, specifically in math.

Transcripts show Arthur received no grades at all during his fall semester. His final grade was changed to a 70 in September 2005 without an explanation.

If, in fact, Arthur had failed math that fall, he would not have been eligible to play basketball, and many of his team’s victories in that championship season might have to be forfeited, according to University Interscholastic League standards.

Similar irregularities recently uncovered by News 8 concerning fellow player Kendrake Johnigan has already led to the forfeiture of South Oak Cliff's 2006 state crown.

Former South Oak Cliff math teacher Winford Ashmore said Arthur had a history of trouble in math. He showed us his 2002 grade book for freshman math in which Arthur was making weekly failing grades: 45, 25 and 24.

Ashmore said then-principal Donald Moten, and current head basketball coach James Mays Jr., both asked him to bypass the rules and award Arthur a passing grade.

"Darrell was still failing, and was not making much of an effort in class, and was not coming to tutoring,” Ashmore said. “So at that point I ensured Moten — as well as James Mays Jr. — that Darrell Arthur was going to get an F for the six weeks."

Days later, without teacher approval, Arthur was dropped from Ashmore's class. And despite those low grades, transcripts reflect Arthur received a passing grade of 70.

In the Spring of 2003, school records show Arthur failed math again with a 64. But those records also show that in January of 2005 — two years later — Principal Moten signed off on changing that failing grade to a passing grade of 72.

The reason given for the grade change, according to records: "Teacher bubbled (the grade) incorrectly."

But district policy states: "Errors in student grades must be corrected within ten days after the grading period ends."

Principal Donald Moten is no longer with the Dallas ISD. He resigned following the News 8 — and subsequent internal DISD — investigation into grade-changing during the 2006 championship season.

District officials said Coach Mays' actions are still being examined. Ashmore said a thorough investigation will reveal the truth. "Coach Mays has full knowledge of what's going on as it relates to kids being changed out of classes," said Ashmore.

Ashmore says the grade-changing for athletes was improper, and calls into question more than just the winning of a state championship trophy.

“Since Darrell Arthur really did not pass algebra — which means he did not clear the clearing house — that also means that he really should not have been eligible for a Division I major college scholarship," Ashmore said.

Last month, Arthur helped lead the Kansas Jayhawks to the NCAA college basketball championship. He recently decided to leave college and turn pro.

So did the possible cheating by adults pay off?

Not according to Jeff Sullivan, a DISD teacher and coach who has seen our stories and believes the only one being cheated is the child.

“Taking the student out of class who is already borderline is just hurting them worse,” Sullivan said. “In the end, it makes sure that they don't have to make the work up, and then changing the grade is hurting them twice as bad."

Both Moten and Coach Mays have declined to comment for this story. DISD officials have also declined to comment, but say these allegations are being fully investigated.

What is unclear at this time is how this will be handled by the University of Kansas and the NCAA.

NCAA officials have confirmed to News 8 that if a player is ineligible, forfeiture of any or all games involving that student is a possible consequence..

E-mail bshipp@wfaa.com

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 09:35 AM
and the coach responds...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

SOC basketball coach disputes report that grades were changed for Arthur

01:08 AM CDT on Friday, May 16, 2008

By DAMON L. SAYLES / The Dallas Morning News
dsayles@dallasnews.com

South Oak Cliff boys basketball coach James Mays II is disputing a story aired Thursday by WFAA-TV (Channel 8) alleging that grades were improperly changed for former SOC standout Darrell Arthur.

The story, supported by transcripts obtained by WFAA, said Arthur had grades changed in September 2005 and should not have been eligible to play basketball according to UIL rules. Arthur, a 6-9 sophomore forward for Kansas, declared for the upcoming NBA draft after helping the Jayhawks win the NCAA championship in April. He was a key player on SOC's 2005 and 2006 state championship teams.

"That's just ridiculous," Mays said of WFAA's report. "He [Arthur] has always been an excellent student, and I can't say anything but good things about him."

WFAA reported Arthur's transcripts showed he received no grades during the fall 2005 semester, but a final grade in math was changed to a passing grade. Mays said Arthur's academics, however, have never been an issue.

"He finished with a 3.0 grade point average this semester [at Kansas], even though he entered the draft." Mays said. "We're not talking about a dumb jock here, and that's what this story makes it sounds like."

Dallas ISD athletic director Jeff Johnson declined to comment, and calls to DISD superintendent Dr. Michael Hinojosa were not returned. WFAA reported DISD officials were planning to investigate the allegations.

Kansas associate athletic director Jim Marchiony, who spent 17 years working for the NCAA, said he is aware of the situation but said any comment "would really be premature." "Mays on Thursday denied reports that he and former SOC principal Donald Moten – who is no longer with the district – asked a former SOC teacher to award Arthur an unearned passing grade

WFAA reported similar grade improprieties in November, when the eligibility of former SOC player Kendrake Johnigan was questioned.

The investigation led to a January announcement by Hinojosa that SOC would forfeit its 2006 championship. The UIL, however, has yet to officially strip SOC of that title. SOC also won state titles in 2007 and 2008.

Staff writer Chip Brown contributed to this report

Txbroadcaster
05-16-2008, 09:36 AM
how would this affect Kansas?

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
how would this affect Kansas?

first article talks about since he never passed algebra then he never actually cleared the clearing house which makes him eligible for NCAA athletics.....thats according to the dude quoted in there. Which in fact, if found guilty of this.....that would actually be true. And like the article said...its unclear how Kansas and the NCAA will handle this matter.

Txbroadcaster
05-16-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
first article talks about since he never passed algebra then he never actually cleared the clearing house which makes him eligible for NCAA athletics.....thats according to the dude quoted in there. Which in fact, if found guilty of this.....that would actually be true. And like the article said...its unclear how Kansas and the NCAA will handle this matter.

what I meant was

If this was done by SOC and Kansas has no knowledge then I dont see how the NCAA could do anything because if he cleared the NCAA clearinghouse then basically the NCAA is saying he is legal to play

So the NCAA is going to punish Kansas for something even the NCAAS cleared?

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 09:43 AM
what I meant was

If this was done by SOC and Kansas has no knowledge then I dont see how the NCAA could do anything because if he cleared the NCAA clearinghouse then basically the NCAA is saying he is legal to play

you've got me.....

crzyjournalist03
05-16-2008, 09:48 AM
what I meant was

Wouldn't Kansas have been suspicious though upon receiving a transcript with no grades?

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Wouldn't Kansas have been suspicious though upon receiving a transcript with no grades?

that was my first thought....if they received a transcript with NO grades for an entire semester you would think a few red flags would be raised....same with the clearing house...

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If the grades actually were changed in January, 2005, the "official" 4-yr transcript would have reflected the change(s).

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
If the grades actually were changed in January, 2005, the "official" 4-yr transcript would have reflected the change(s).
you are right.

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
.same with the clearing house...
I agree with that, just thinking over here. "Unofficial" transcripts are sent after the student-athlete's junior season, so would that have been the end of the 2004 school year? He wouldn't have been cleared at that point...and I believe would have received notification from them. :thinking:

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
overall.....SOC is screwed again. Shipp will NOT let this die. Sucks for them!!!

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2008, 10:23 AM
overall.....SOC is screwed again. Shipp will NOT let this die. Sucks for them!!!
IMO, it sucks for the kids...the school, not so much.

Phil C
05-16-2008, 10:31 AM
They sure do pick on South Oak Cliff a lot lately. I wonder if racism is involved.

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Two questions:

1) How can the school officials, teachers, etc. tell the news what any kids grades are. I would have thought that violated some privacy law. The article stated that Channel 8 obtained copies of the grades...how did they do that?

2) Since he played college sports, I wonder what his math ACT or SAT was? That should be some indication of how well he was learning math. Can Channel 8 get a copy of that too?

Phil C
05-16-2008, 02:53 PM
HEY MY LATE FATHER GRADUATED FROM SOUTH OAK CLIFF IN 1931!! HIS PICTURE IS IN THE ANNUAL THAT YEAR! STOP PICKING ON MY FATHER'S ALMA MATER!!

:mad:

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
HEY MY LATE FATHER GRADUATED FROM SOUTH OAK CLIFF IN 1931!! HIS PICTURE IS IN THE ANNUAL THAT YEAR! STOP PICKING ON MY FATHER'S ALMA MATER!!

:mad:
Did anyone change his grades in order for him to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities or graduate?

Chief Woodman
05-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Did anyone change his grades in order for him to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities or graduate?

No grades needed to ever be changed. The horse's head in the bed trick the day before he enrolled at SOC took care of that issue.

;) ;) ;)

Old Tiger
05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Two questions:

1) How can the school officials, teachers, etc. tell the news what any kids grades are. I would have thought that violated some privacy law. The article stated that Channel 8 obtained copies of the grades...how did they do that?

2) Since he played college sports, I wonder what his math ACT or SAT was? That should be some indication of how well he was learning math. Can Channel 8 get a copy of that too? 1) You have to be either the student or legal guadian to obtain that.

2) You'd have to break into the house to get those scores?

Chief Woodman
05-16-2008, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
1) You have to be either the student or legal guadian to obtain that.

2) You'd have to break into the house to get those scores?

Not if you the media and are repoprting on things that are against the law. Then it is OK for you to break the law. Wait a minute!!! Does that make you the news story?

Old Tiger
05-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
Not if you the media and are repoprting on things that are against the law. Then it is OK for you to break the law. Wait a minute!!! Does that make you the news story? lol

Well if the news channel obtained a transcript of a student of SOC then SOC should be in trouble. Right?

Old Tiger
05-16-2008, 04:45 PM
WOW Michael Wilbon just went off on this subject on PTI.

Adidas410s
05-16-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm in now way standing up for SOC...but Shipp sure does have an axe to grind. And for what good? He gets publicity and can use it to earn a raise/promotion...other than that it does no good.

crzyjournalist03
05-16-2008, 04:55 PM
The Michael Irvin Show did a great job with this story this afternoon...they spoke to the teacher, who claims he still has grade books, and he read them while on the air and said that the HIGHEST grade that Darrell had in math was a 46. He also had emails from other teachers and administration about the head basketball coach having players' class schedules changed since he wouldn't agree to change grades to passing.

They also interviewed Darrell's aunt, who said she thought the tragic thing about the whole story was that the kids on the team were not getting a proper education. They were told to work around the rules rather than to learn.

Old Tiger
05-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Supposedly the kid has a 3.0 at Kansas.

None of this makes any sense how his SAT/ACT scores could get past clearing house but his math in HS is not good.

Phil C
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM

Well he did win the AAU National Championship in weight lifting in Dallas in 1932 but he had already graduated by then.

crzyjournalist03
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
If anybody is interested, here's the podcast of the show today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=3399688