PDA

View Full Version : Way too early 2008 BCS Proections

Adidas410s
05-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I've finally found my first reason to donate part of my body if this comes true. And yes...I think that Pete Fiutak has a secret man crush on Mike Leach as he gives Tech more love than any other writer. However, he did pick us to lose to SMU last season so he's somewhat objective.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/755198.html

Preview 2008 - The Way-Early BCS Projections

By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted May 14, 2008

It's mid-May, but it's never too early to think about the first week of January. While there might be some changes and different thoughts as the summer goes on, here is the first look at what the BCS matchups, including the national championship, might be.

By Pete Fiutak

- 2008-2009 Way-Too-Early non-BCS Bowl Projections

Don't get too mad/excited quite yet. The idea is to look into the crystal ball into the schedules and the talent on the top teams to figure out what the big money matchups might be. Remember, no one, nowhere would've ever predicted in a million years that Kansas and Illinois would make the BCS last season. We told you Hawaii was going to be in, but that was still a bit of a wacky call. Obviously, things could quickly change over the next few months, and we'll change up the projections and predictions weekly during the season.

Rose Bowl presented by Citi
Jan. 1 / 5:10 p.m. ET Pasadena, Calif. ABC
*BCS vs. BCS (Big Ten Champion vs. Pac 10 Champion, if available)
Way Too Early Projection: Wisconsin vs. USC
Top 5 Others Considered: 1) Ohio State, 2) Penn State, 3) Oregon, 4) Arizona State, 5) California

It's this simple. The winner of the Ohio State-USC showdown will be playing for the national title; the loser will be playing in the Rose Bowl. The early call, because of the experience, if a Buckeye win, but if USC wins, then put Jim Tressel and the boys here and Wisconsin in the Fiesta. Eventually the Badgers to break through and get to a BCS game again, right? They've been on the verge for years and now have the team to break through. If USC beats Ohio State, then it'll probably be the Buckeyes vs. either Oregon or Arizona State. If it's the Badgers vs. the Trojans, it would be the first matchup of the two since 1966 when USC won 38-3. If only it could be as good a matchup as the 1963 classic Rose Bowl when the Badgers mounted an epic comeback only to fall short in a 42-37 loss.

Allstate Sugar Bowl
Jan. 2 / 8:30 p.m. ET New Orleans, La. FOX
*BCS vs. BCS (SEC Champion, if available)
Way Too Early Projection: Georgia vs. Virginia Tech
Top 5 Others Considered: 1) Florida, 2) LSU, 3) Auburn, 4) Clemson, 5) West Virginia

The early call is for the Florida-Georgia winner to be playing for the national title, while the loser to go to the Sugar Bowl. Of course, the winner of the Cocktail-Not-A-Cocktail Party will have to get by the SEC West champion, while the Bulldog-Gator loser should still have enough juice in the polls to get into the big money games. The ACC will finally get a second team into the BCS, and while Boston College also has a shot, it'll probably be the Hokies if they make it to the conference title game and lose to Clemson. West Virginia, if it wins the Big East title, is also a viable option.

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
Jan. 5 / 8 p.m. Phoenix, Ariz. FOX
*BCS vs. BCS (Big 12 Champion, if available)
Way Too Early Projection: Missouri vs. West Virginia
Top 5 Others Considered: 1) Texas Tech, 2) Oklahoma, 3) Texas, 4) Wisconsin, 5) Florida

Depending on who gets into the national title game, the Fiesta gets the first pick of the at-large BCS teams. West Virginia, assuming it comes up with another Big East title, should be the most attractive of the lot unless Florida, Georgia, or another SEC team is available if the champion goes to the Sugar Bowl. Admittedly, Missouri is a very, very, very shaky call as the Big 12 champion. If you want to argue that this is a loaded Texas Tech's year, or that Oklahoma will get another shot at Fiesta redemption, or that Texas will rise up, or that Kansas will close, there's no argument here.

FedEx Orange Bowl
Jan. 1 / 8 p.m. Miami Gardens, Fla. FOX
*BCS vs. BCS (ACC Champion, if available)
Way Too Early Projection: Clemson vs. Texas Tech
Top 5 Others Considered: 1) Virginia Tech, 2) Boston College, 3) West Virginia, 4) Florida, 5) Georgia

The ACC champion is automatically in, and the assumption is that Clemson, troubled offensive line and all, will get here. The Orange, assuming it doesn't lose the ACC champion to the BCS Championship game, will pick last from the at-large teams. While it might lobby for the second best SEC option and hope to grab West Virginia or Wisconsin because of their traveling fan bases, Texas Tech, the projected loser of the Big 12 championship game, would likely be the last team chosen.

FedEx BCS National Championship
Jan. 8 / 8 p.m. Miami Gardens, Fla. FOX
*BCS #1 vs. BCS #2
Way Too Early Projection: Ohio State vs. Florida
Top 5 Others Considered: 1) USC, 2) Georgia, 3) Oklahoma, 4) LSU, 5) West Virginia

The way-too-early scenario (that might/will suddenly change at some point this summer): No one goes unbeaten; Ohio State beats USC in L.A. to build up enough style points to overcome one acceptable Big Ten loss to be the begrudging choice by the voters as the nation's No. 1 team; Florida loses twice, but beats Georgia and wins the SEC championship. Repeat that exact scenario except replace Ohio State with USC (who'll lose one Pac 10 game) and Florida with Georgia, and you might have it.

Basically, a two-loss SEC champion will have far more cachet than any other team with a blemish, even a one-loss West Virginia, ACC champion or Big 12 champion. After the last two national title games, it's going to take something special to keep the SEC champion out.

bwdlionfan
05-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I like how he put Tech for the Fiesta Bowl because he predicts them to be the loser of the Big 12 Title game, then he lists OU as an alternate in the MNC without even listing Tech. So he doesn't think OU will make it to the Big 12 Title game but he thinks they have a better shot at the MNC than Tech or Mizzou.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-16-2008, 09:53 AM
the sprots-writer may not be privy on the logic behind his methods...in other words, hes stupid.

Adidas410s
05-16-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by bwdlionfan
I like how he put Tech for the Fiesta Bowl because he predicts them to be the loser of the Big 12 Title game, then he lists OU as an alternate in the MNC without even listing Tech. So he doesn't think OU will make it to the Big 12 Title game but he thinks they have a better shot at the MNC than Tech or Mizzou.
Think about it...

- Mizzou beats Texas Tech in the Big 12 Championship
- That means that Texas Tech would've beat Oklahoma...which is why he has them ahead of them in the Fiesta Bowl pick.
- He doesn't list Oklahoma as an at-large possibility for a BCS game because it's very unlikely that a bowl is going to take a team that has lost 4 consecutive BCS games as an at-large pick. They're either in the Fiesta Bowl as an 11-1 or 10-2 Big 12 Champ...or they're undefeated and in the MNC.
- He doesn't think that Texas Tech or Mizzou will be 13-0 and the Big 12 Champ...which would lead to them playing in the MNC. He thinks that only OU has a chance to run the table from the Big 12.

Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
the sprots-writer may not be privy on the logic behind his methods...in other words, hes stupid.

Welcome to the world of logic...learn to use it. So it's not the sportswriter (one word, not hyphenated) who's stupid...it's the fan who doesn't think for himself and process what he just read before opening his mouth and throwing out whatever genius thoughts he might have.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Welcome to the world of logic...learn to use it. So it's not the sportswriter (one word, not hyphenated) who's stupid...it's the fan who doesn't think for himself and process what he just read before opening his mouth and throwing out whatever genius thoughts he might have. i didnt put my opinion out there because i have an obvious bias towards UT and everyone who knows me on here knows it, so there is no sense in stating it again. if you would have caught the pun in my statement you would have known that i wasnt posting anything to do with actual logic, just that the guy who wrote it was an idiot for making that prediction. (albeit a way-too-early-prediction that means nothing and is just something for football fans to sink their teeth into until the season starts)

Adidas410s
05-16-2008, 10:27 AM
i didnt put my opinion out there because i have an obvious bias towards UT and everyone who knows me on here knows it, so there is no sense in stating it again. if you would have caught the pun in my statement you would have known that i wasnt posting anything to do with actual logic, just that the guy who wrote it was an idiot for making that prediction. (albeit a way-too-early-prediction that means nothing and is just something for football fans to sink their teeth into until the season starts)
If you're going to call someobdy stupid...then at least state WHY you think they're stupid. Even if you're just blasting homer statements...at least stand up for your statement. It's easy to hit and run...

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-16-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
If you're going to call someobdy stupid...then at least state WHY you think they're stupid. Even if you're just blasting homer statements...at least stand up for your statement. It's easy to hit and run... hes stupid because the "logic" he was using didnt really make any sense. if a team in the Big XII doesnt win their conference then they are picked to play in the NC game that makes no sense and has no logic behind it.

Texasfootball2
05-16-2008, 10:33 AM
hes stupid because the "logic" he was using didnt really make any sense. if a team in the Big XII doesnt win their conference then they are picked to play in the NC game that makes no sense and has no logic behind it.

OU lost in the Big 12 championship game and was still pick to play in the BCS championship game one year. I believe is was against LSU? So it can and has happened.

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-16-2008, 10:35 AM
but it was the general consensus that that shouldnt have happened due to the BCS being flawed.

Adidas410s
05-16-2008, 10:36 AM
hes stupid because the "logic" he was using didnt really make any sense. if a team in the Big XII doesnt win their conference then they are picked to play in the NC game that makes no sense and has no logic behind it.
Did you read what I wrote?? I explained his logic. Again...read and process...

- He doesn't list Oklahoma as an at-large possibility for a BCS game because it's very unlikely that a bowl is going to take a team that has lost 4 consecutive BCS games as an at-large pick. They're either in the Fiesta Bowl as an 11-1 or 10-2 Big 12 Champ...or they're undefeated and in the MNC.
- He doesn't think that Texas Tech or Mizzou will be 13-0 and the Big 12 Champ...which would lead to them playing in the MNC. He thinks that only OU has a chance to run the table from the Big 12.
So while his "best guess" doesn't have OU winning the Big 12...he thinks that if they do there's a chance they're undefeated and playing for the MNC. He doesn't think that Mizzou or Texas Tech can run the table and get into the MNC...thus the reason they aren't listed as possibility.