PDA

View Full Version : any HAM radio operators out there?

trojan37
05-15-2008, 08:45 PM
I took up ham radio as a hobby about 3 years ago. I was just curious if there are any other hams on the downlow? If so, what's your callsign and frequency that you monitor?

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I took up ham radio as a hobby about 3 years ago. I was just curious if there are any other hams on the downlow? If so, what's your callsign and frequency that you monitor?

WX5X. First licensed in 1984, Florida, as KB4JRU. Got my Extra Class in 1987 and this call is original, I did not purchase it. I used to do DX, 300 countries. Not active any longer.

Oh, and thus the reason for my screen name!

Old Tiger
05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
what is this ham radio you speak of?

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
what is this ham radio you speak of?

Amateur radio on the HF bands. Talk all over the world. Also FM locally.

trojan37
05-15-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm just general, mainly 2 meters. The main reason I got my license was for storm spotting/chasing. My call is KE5EGJ. I'm thinking about trying to move up, just haven't studied for it.

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by trojan37
I'm just general, mainly 2 meters. The main reason I got my license was for storm spotting/chasing. My call is KE5EGJ. I'm thinking about trying to move up, just haven't studied for it.

Congratulations and it can be a fun hobby. I burned myself out, then moved to an area where I can't have any antennas. I had a five element beam on a 52' tower and a kilowatt amp. Sure worked some countries.

navscanmaster
05-16-2008, 06:55 AM
figured out my screen name yet:D :thinking: ;)

No, actually, I have toyed with the idea for a long time, but I have other things to spend money on right now (i.e. little girl on the way). I do some database admin over at radioreference.com though. And Go Blue, in case your wondering, ham radio has nothing to do with listening to Rush Limbaugh.