PDA

View Full Version : 8 period days

KATS
05-15-2008, 06:17 PM
With the new 4 x 4 core classes and needing 26 hours for this years freshmen to graduate with, are any of you going to 8 period days next year?

Emerson1
05-15-2008, 06:57 PM
Sucks for the freshman.

I would not have made it through if I had to take a useless science class this year.

I bet more schools will go to the semi block scheduling where you have

4a/4b
5a/5b

jimmyceatworld
05-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Our school is going to 8 periods. Our principle doesn't like the block schedule. Glad I'm graduating this year.

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 09:09 PM
When I read the title of this thread my first thought was of a really angry woman!

gobblerfan02
05-15-2008, 09:30 PM
We have 8 period days already this year...with 45 minute class periods! It strains because I have to try and teach all the way up to the bell and then some! Being a science teacher, it also limits the kinds of labs that I'm able to fit into a day, but, somehow, we just make it work!

Emerson1
05-15-2008, 10:07 PM
45 minute periods are useless

GreenMonster
05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
45 minute periods are useless in your opinion. in my opinion anything over 45 minutes and the teacher starts to lose the attention of the little darlings in the desks.

GreenMonster
05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Sucks for the freshman.

I would not have made it through if I had to take a useless science class this year.

I bet more schools will go to the semi block scheduling where you have

4a/4b
5a/5b

8 period days are the absolute best way to keep students in their electives. In a block or modified block the electives are the first to get time cut and the every other day class would really suck for athletics, band, and several other classes offered at the high school level. If a school stays with a 7 period schedule then there is a great possibility of athletes having to get out of athletics classes due to not having any wiggle room in their schedule. The state of Texas only grants athletics class 2 credits meaning that the last 2 years are elective credits. In the 7 period schedule there are only 2 credits left for any kind of elective once the 4X4 takes effect.

Emerson1
05-15-2008, 10:22 PM
You can have athletics on both A and B days.

Band is usually 1st period anyways so morning practices can extend into the day.

I don't care though really

GreenMonster
05-15-2008, 10:28 PM
You can have athletics on both A and B days.

Band is usually 1st period anyways so morning practices can extend into the day.

I don't care though really I agree. Modified block is much more common than a true block schedule. Modified block can be effective, but like I stated the electives are the first to get time cut and after 45-50 minutes it gets hard to keep the attention of today's student. You guys have grown so accostomed to having distractions like TV's, cell phones, and the internet and usually all 3 at the same time that sitting in class is boring.

Emerson1
05-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Luckily for me the 4 classes I have for block are athletics, browsing the internet, and going home

c-town_balla
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
my classes include lifting wieghts, talkin to our AD, cleanIing our ADs desk, being bored

Emerson1
05-15-2008, 10:52 PM
I hate that you have to be there for 4 hours out of the day for it to count.

JasperDog94
05-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Block scheduling sucks. Who wants to sit in Math or History for an hour and a half?

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Block scheduling sucks. Who wants to sit in Math or History for an hour and a half?

Block scheduling is wonderful for the teacher. I dont know if I would lik eit if I were a kid though.

STANG RED
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
I dont understand why they are always jacking with it. When I was in school, we had 6 classes each day, every day, every week, all year. Started it in the 7th grade and was like that for the rest of the way through. Seems like it worked pretty well to me. Why did they think they needed to change it I wonder?:confused:

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont understand why they are always jacking with it. When I was in school, we had 6 classes each day, every day, every week, all year. Started it in the 7th grade and was like that for the rest of the way through. Seems like it worked pretty well to me. Why did they think they needed to change it I wonder?:confused:
graduation requirements changed by the State....

crzyjournalist03
05-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94

Forney kept talking about going to block scheduling when I was in high school, so we did research in our school paper one issue and found that about 60% of students hated the idea, while an overwhelming majority of the faculty wanted block scheduling.

I loved block scheduling for college, but I sure wouldn't have wanted it in high school!

STANG RED
05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
graduation requirements changed by the State....

OOOOOOhhh so the state screwed it all up. Well then that makes perfect sense to me now. Carry on.:D

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
OOOOOOhhh so the state screwed it all up. Well then that makes perfect sense to me now. Carry on.:D
the State says you now need this class or cliss class to graduate and schools are having to change their schedules in order to allow for that AND be able to keep the athletic periods, electives....and so on and so on

STANG RED
05-16-2008, 09:07 AM
the State says you now need this class or cliss class to graduate and schools are having to change their schedules in order to allow for that AND be able to keep the athletic periods, electives....and so on and so on

And yet, many people believe the government should be in total control of even more of our every day lives.:mad: Go figure.
Who said?
Careful what you wish for,,,,,,,,,you just might get it.
Bet it was a politician.:(

JasperDog94
05-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Block scheduling is wonderful for the teacher. I dont know if I would lik eit if I were a kid though. Not all teachers like it. As a band director I hated it.

NastySlot
05-16-2008, 12:04 PM
I hate block scheduling....we have it here but at the previous school I was at we had 7 periods.........we are fixing to go to a modified block....1st period and 5th periods would be 55 min. or something like that and the three middle periods would be like the old blocked periods............1st and 5th will be athletic periods.......all the AP and higher level class teachers wanted to keep block.......guys like me that teach regular ed. classes wanted shorter classes. so we got both.......bet in a year or two we will have 8 periods.