PDA

View Full Version : The Times They are A'Changing

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Supposedly from a speech given by Bill Gates at a high school.

Rules For Life:

1. Life is not fair-get used to it!

2. The world won't care about your self esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

3. You will NOT make $60,000 a year right our of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

4. If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

5. Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

6. If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

7. Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parents' generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

10. Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

11. Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

I make no pretense of knowing this actually came from Bill Gates or was even a speech given to high school students. It does however, make sense, at least to me.

:1popcorn: :stirpot:

eppy 12
05-15-2008, 01:51 PM
love it...:clap:

Txbroadcaster
05-15-2008, 01:53 PM
It is not from Gates it is from a book

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
It is not from Gates it is from a book

By Bill Gates?

Txbroadcaster
05-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
By Bill Gates?

uhh no, cant remember by who at the moment..Chuck omebody

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 02:05 PM
My son makes over $130,000 a year....and just turned 22 and has nothing more than a High School education!!:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

Texasfootball2
05-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My son makes over $130,000 a year....and just turned 22 and has nothing more than a High School education!!:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

Gotta be in the oil business:clap:

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Gotta be in the oil business:clap:

Exactly!! Those drillers get paid more than the tool pushers these days!!!

cshscougar08
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I love #11. :D

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Exactly!! Those drillers get paid more than the tool pushers these days!!!

Yeah but bet he's not a vice president!!! Or a nerd either. :nerd:

Texasfootball2
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
I love #11. :D
BUT! Does #11 love you?:inlove: :kiss: :vrycnfsd:

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 02:22 PM
Yeah but bet he's not a vice president!!! Or a nerd either. :nerd:

Neither one....just a lowly roughneck!!:)

I told him to enjoy it while he can and try and save some of it.

I was living in Abilene in 86 during the oil bust. My ex was working for Bandera drilling and I worked for CTIW (Central Texas Iron Works)....within 2 days, we were both unemployed!!!

Texasfootball2
05-15-2008, 02:26 PM

I was living in Abilene in 86 during the oil bust. My ex was working for Bandera drilling and I worked for CTIW (Central Texas Iron Works)....within 2 days, we were both unemployed!!!

At that point and time someone should have hung both of you by your wrist in there garage:D

cshscougar08
05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
BUT! Does #11 love you?:inlove: :kiss: :vrycnfsd:

Absolutely!!! Why wouldn't it?

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 02:29 PM
At that point and time someone should have hung both of you by your wrist in there garage:D

Heck...if they would have paid us to do it, we probably would have.

We had a newborn baby and no jobs.....had to move back home with the parents for a couple of months.....that was the PITS!!!!!

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Heck...if they would have paid us to do it, we probably would have.

We had a newborn baby and no jobs.....had to move back home with the parents for a couple of months.....that was the PITS!!!!!

And just think how the parents felt about it too! j/k

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
And just think how the parents felt about it too! j/k

Are you kidding?? They had the first grandbaby to spoil...they loved it!!

I remember getting in trouble for drinking though....and I was 22.....and I wasn't even AT their house at the time!!:mad:

Texasfootball2
05-15-2008, 02:34 PM
Are you kidding?? They had the first grandbaby to spoil...they loved it!!

I remember getting in trouble for drinking though....and I was 22.....and I wasn't even AT their house at the time!!:mad:

You should have recieved a spanking with a razor strap in my opinion:taunt:

LH Panther Mom
05-15-2008, 02:38 PM
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: # 7

I've got you beat, RM. I got in trouble once for coming "home" to the parents at 3:00 when I was 22. I hadn't lived at home in 3 years, had not been drinking, AND neither one of my younger brothers were home, one of which was a minor. AND....to top it off, both of them were trashed when they did show up. But was anything said to them? Nooooo.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Texasfootball2
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: # 7

I've got you beat, RM. I got in trouble once for coming "home" to the parents at 3:00 when I was 22. I hadn't lived at home in 3 years, had not been drinking, AND neither one of my younger brothers were home, one of which was a minor. AND....to top it off, both of them were trashed when they did show up. But was anything said to them? Nooooo.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good for her:2thumbsup :iagree:

LH Panther Mom
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Good for her:2thumbsup :iagree:
Good for me for getting in trouble??? :confused: :doh:

garciap77
05-15-2008, 02:51 PM

Were you wearing the purple and gold?:cool:

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Were you wearing the purple and gold?:cool:

Not hardly...I wasn't even a football fan then!!

As a matter of fact, I remember driving down the loop and a car passing me with "MUCK FOJO" shoe polished on the back.

It wasn't until about a year after I joined this board, (roughly 15 years since I saw that car) that it dawned on me what it meant!!!:doh: :doh:

garciap77
05-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Not hardly...I wasn't even a football fan then!!

As a matter of fact, I remember driving down the loop and a car passing me with "MUCK FOJO" shoe polished on the back.

It wasn't until about a year after I joined this board, (roughly 15 years since I saw that car) that it dawned on me what it meant!!!:doh: :doh:

For a minute there, I thought you were an ex Wylie Bulldog! ;)

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
For a minute there, I thought you were an ex Wylie Bulldog! ;)

Nope......the only bulldog I have been was a Coahoma Bulldog!!