PDA

View Full Version : Ft. Worth Toddler attacked by...(Give you one guess on what kind of dogs)

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Fort Worth girl mauled by dogs

FORT WORTH — A Fort Worth toddler is in critical condition after she was attacked by two pit bulls Wednesday night.

Neighbors said they saw a woman run screaming from a house in the Redwood Mobile Home Park in the 5100 block of DeSoto Court around 7 o'clock. Inside, a three-year-old girl was found badly bitten.

The woman also was hurt as she pulled the child away from the vicious dogs.

A supervisor for the Medstar ambulance service said the youngster — whose name was not released — was bitten all over "like a rag doll."

The girl was taken to Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth and reported to be in critical but stable condition Wednesday night.

Rabbit'93
05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
read on a another message board a pit was shot in Forney this morning for giong after someone.

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
read on a another message board a pit was shot in Forney this morning for giong after someone.

really? that is horrible. You know...Im a dog lover but having a Pit just isnt worth the risk. And nobody can ever convince me otherwise.

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
my old neighbor in Crandall was always one of the first to tell you that not all Pits are like that and its all in how you raise them, blah blah blah. He's not saying that anymore after a kid was at their house about a month ago for a church cookout and was bitten and in the process of trying to protect the kid his pinky was almost bitten off and he is paying big time for it.

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I know that Mustang04 isn't going to like this.....but I would be scared to have one too.

When we first moved to Greenwood my ex brought a pit bull pup home to my kids.....we got rid of him when he was about 4 months old, no one in the neighborhood was allowed to come over as long as we had him.....I don't blame those parents one bit.

I know that pits have a bad reputation and there are some really good pits out there......I have just read too many stories about them turning on their owner.

I don't even trust any of my big dogs enough to leave my granddaughter alone with them.....you just NEVER know!!

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 11:03 AM
I understant that ANY dog has the ability to attack at any time and some do but for anyone to try to say it doesn't happen more often with Pits makes no sense to me.

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
The five most popular vicious guard dogs in America are:

* Doberman Pinscher: Bred as guard dogs in Germany, these dogs are common in the hands of police departments and protection units.
* German Shepard: These extremely popular working dogs are used by police and security departments around the world.
* Rottweiler: This ancient breed, first developed during the Roman Empire, was used to herd and protect cattle and other livestock as the legions marched.
* Bull Mastiff: This canine is extremely powerful and vicious, and does not get along well with other breeds or people it does not know.
* American Pit Bull: This notoriously vicious dog is responsible for the most human deaths of any other dog in America.

Link (http://www.resource4dogbitelaw.com/viciousdogs.html)

I have a full blood registered German Shepard puppy in my backyard right now that I am trying to give away.

My son paid $500 for him from a breeder and then moved into an apartment, so he is now in MY backyard....he is going to be a small horse when he's full grown!!

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

* Doberman Pinscher: Bred as guard dogs in Germany, these dogs are common in the hands of police departments and protection units.
* German Shepard: These extremely popular working dogs are used by police and security departments around the world.
* Rottweiler: This ancient breed, first developed during the Roman Empire, was used to herd and protect cattle and other livestock as the legions marched.
* Bull Mastiff: This canine is extremely powerful and vicious, and does not get along well with other breeds or people it does not know.
* American Pit Bull: This notoriously vicious dog is responsible for the most human deaths of any other dog in America.

I have a full blood registered German Shepard puppy in my backyard right now that I am trying to give away.

My son paid $500 for him from a breeder and then moved into an apartment, so he is now in MY backyard....he is going to be a small horse when he's full grown!!

people are always so scared of Bella when they see her cause she is so big. But shes not a Bull Mastiff.

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 11:13 AM

This is from your same link. I'm not certain who these people are and where they get some of the information, but they sure don't like pit bulls! This is quoted as from Center for Disease Control, but what the heck does CDC have to do with vicious dogs?

According to the Center for Disease Control, the top 10 most dangerous dogs are:

1. Pit Bulls
2. Rottweilers
3. German Shepherds
4. Huskies
5. Alaskan Malamutes
6. Doberman Pinschers
7. Chow Chows
8. Great Danes
9. St. Bernards
10. Akitas

kepdawg
05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I was going to guess poodle!

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
This is from your same link. I'm not certain who these people are and where they get some of the the information, but they sure don't like pit bulls! This is quoted as from Center for Disease Control, but what the heck does CDC have to do with vicious dogs?

According to the Center for Disease Control, the top 10 most dangerous dogs are:

1. Pit Bulls
2. Rottweilers
3. German Shepherds
4. Huskies
5. Alaskan Malamutes
6. Doberman Pinschers
7. Chow Chows
8. Great Danes
9. St. Bernards
10. Akitas

maybe diseases from dog bites or something!

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
maybe diseases from dog bites or something!

Now there's a thought.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I was going to guess poodle!

http://stockguru.com/blogimages/Paris/smashpoodle.jpg

Bag Back, Bag Back, Give me 50 feet!!

44INAROW
05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Was it this ferocious dog? Isn't he scary? :D
**he's lost about 15 pounds since this was taken, so he is healthier looking :p
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/riorelaxing.jpg

from the article I couldn't tell - wonder if the girl was in the house with the dog?

Ranger Mom
Thank God chihuahuas aren't any bigger than they are....they have GOT to be the most vicious dogs!!!

kepdawg
http://stockguru.com/blogimages/Paris/smashpoodle.jpg

You can't tell me that's not a mean looking dog!

ronwx5x
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Boy this link is just a wealth of info.

Fatal dog bite statistics by breed 1979-1998:

Pit bull-type: 66
Rottweiler: 39
German Shepherd Dog: 17
Husky-type: 15
Malamute: 12
Doberman Pinscher: 9
Chow Chow: 8
Great Dane: 7
Saint Bernard: 7

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Was it this ferocious dog? Isn't he scary? :D
**he's lost about 15 pounds since this was taken, so he is healthier looking :p
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j43/44inarow/riorelaxing.jpg

He scared me after I found out what would have happened had I got down on the floor as asked!!!:p :D

44INAROW
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
He scared me after I found out what would have happened had I got down on the floor as asked!!!:p :D

I haven't laughed that hard in a LONG time....... ;)

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Best dogs for children:

* 1. Golden Retriever
* 2. Pembroke Welsh Corgi
* 3. West Highland White Terrier
* 4. Irish Setter
* 5. Schnauzer
* 6. Labrador Retriever
* 7. Poodle
* 8. Bichon Fries
* 9. Airedale
* 10. Basset Hound
* 11. Beagle
* 12. Shih Tzu
* 13. Boxer
* 14. Carin Terrier
* 15. Collie
* 16. Boston Terrier
* 17. Newfoundland
* 18. Pomeranian
* 19. Pug
* 20. Whippet

I had a Norwegian Elkhound when my kids were little.....he was great with them, but he sure was miserable in Texas!!!!

http://puppydogweb.com/gallery/norwegianelkhounds/norwegianelkhound_holmes.jpg

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 11:30 AM
ive seen some mean PUGS before....

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
ive seen some mean PUGS before....

I was kinda surprised at that list.....most Pomeranians I have been around, I didn't trust....and poodles!!

The best most mild mannered dog I have is a golden retriever/yellow lab mix named Maggie.....she is sweet, Sweet, SWEET!!!

jason
05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6008/pic0158cm1.jpg

he is vicious...

he'll run off with you're balls if your not careful......

KA - update on bella ???

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 11:57 AM
shes getting HUGE! I cant post any pics on here right now cause I cant get in my photobucket...blocked here at work!

Reds fan
05-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Thank God chihuahuas aren't any bigger than they are....they have GOT to be the most vicious dogs!!!

I'd put dachsunds right in this group of small but tenacious dogs too!

Sftball4Life
05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
I don't know about Boston Terriers being good with kids..... the two I have keep trying to suffocate mine.... LOL

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk106/watznext/0012-Copy.jpg

Macarthur
05-15-2008, 12:20 PM
This is a very troubling pattern.

I'm am generally not in favor of the government limiting freedoms, but in this case, I think these municipalities would be well within reason to start banning these breeds.

These dogs were bred for one reason only.

LH Panther Mom
05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You can't tell me that's not a mean looking dog!
You might have that expression too if someone made your hair look that way! :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-15-2008, 02:59 PM

Dude, I want him. Too bad I don't have anywhere to put him. :(

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Dude, I want him. Too bad I don't have anywhere to put him. :(

I would love to be able to find a good home for him....I won't give him to just anyone!!

He's a sweetie....he is just gonna be SO big....his feet are enormous!!!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-15-2008, 04:29 PM
I would love to be able to find a good home for him....I won't give him to just anyone!!

He's a sweetie....he is just gonna be SO big....his feet are enormous!!!

:(

I've always wanted a German Shepherd. This is disappointing to me.

kepdawg
05-15-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
You might have that expression too if someone made your hair look that way! :D

I think it'd be cool if I could get my hair to do that!

STANG RED
05-15-2008, 05:08 PM

I've always wanted a German Shepherd. This is disappointing to me.

I've had several down through the years, and none of them were mean at all imo. But some of them were very good natural guard dogs, and wouldnt let people out of thier car if someone wasnt at home. As long as we were home, they would just bark and let us know someone was there, but would stay between us and them till they realized everything was ok. Once they knew it was ok, they would be as friendly and playful with them as they were with us. And we never trained any of that behavior in any of them. It was just all instinct I guess.
But we also lived way out in the country, and they were never tied up or fenced in. I hate to see big dogs tied up, penned, or fenced in. They were meant to be able to run free. I think keeping them cooped up is what makes some of them go off on people.

Ranger Mom
05-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I've had several down through the years, and none of them were mean at all imo. But some of them were very good natural guard dogs, and wouldnt let people out of thier car if someone wasnt at home. As long as we were home, they would just bark and let us know someone was there, but would stay between us and them till they realized everything was ok. Once they knew it was ok, they would be as friendly and playful with them as they were with us. And we never trained any of that behavior in any of them. It was just all instinct I guess.
But we also lived way out in the country, and they were never tied up or fenced in. I hate to see big dogs tied up, penned, or fenced in. They were meant to be able to run free. I think keeping them cooped up is what makes some of them go off on people.

I have to have my dogs fenced in or else they would be roadkill!!

I have a huge backyard though....so they have plenty of room to run. I have one that is a fence jumper, but so far she has been really street smart....she prefers to be in the horse pasture.

nobogey72
05-16-2008, 04:25 AM
My daughter has a 4 lb. Pomeranian. She is not mean, but is a vicious gossip. You have to watch what you say around her.

MY FAVORITE DOG JOKE:

A wife had always wanted a Schnauzer, and so her husband brought her one home one day. She was excited buy this was a long haird Schnauzer and she had wanted a short haired one. So she jumps on her motorcycle and goes to the drug store to get some hair remover. She asks the druggist for some Nair or something to remove hair. He gave her some Nair and said "OK let me tell you that after you use this, don't wear hose for a few days or it will irritate your legs". She said, "Im not gonna put it on my legs." He said, "OK then after you put it on your underarms be careful about using alcohol based deodorant, because it will sting." She said "I'm not going to put it under my arms". He said, "Mam, if you don't my me asking, what are you going to put it on?" She said "My Schnauzer." He said "Lady, then you better not ride that motorcycle for 2 weeks.":D :eek:

garciap77
05-16-2008, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
My daughter has a 4 lb. Pomeranian. She is not mean, but is a vicious gossip. You have to watch what you say around her.

MY FAVORITE DOG JOKE:

A wife had always wanted a Schnauzer, and so her husband brought her one home one day. She was excited buy this was a long haird Schnauzer and she had wanted a short haired one. So she jumps on her motorcycle and goes to the drug store to get some hair remover. She asks the druggist for some Nair or something to remove hair. He gave her some Nair and said "OK let me tell you that after you use this, don't wear hose for a few days or it will irritate your legs". She said, "Im not gonna put it on my legs." He said, "OK then after you put it on your underarms be careful about using alcohol based deodorant, because it will sting." She said "I'm not going to put it under my arms". He said, "Mam, if you don't my me asking, what are you going to put it on?" She said "My Schnauzer." He said "Lady, then you better not ride that motorcycle for 2 weeks.":D :eek: :fnypost:

kaorder1999
05-16-2008, 08:22 AM

MY FAVORITE DOG JOKE:

A wife had always wanted a Schnauzer, and so her husband brought her one home one day. She was excited buy this was a long haird Schnauzer and she had wanted a short haired one. So she jumps on her motorcycle and goes to the drug store to get some hair remover. She asks the druggist for some Nair or something to remove hair. He gave her some Nair and said "OK let me tell you that after you use this, don't wear hose for a few days or it will irritate your legs". She said, "Im not gonna put it on my legs." He said, "OK then after you put it on your underarms be careful about using alcohol based deodorant, because it will sting." She said "I'm not going to put it under my arms". He said, "Mam, if you don't my me asking, what are you going to put it on?" She said "My Schnauzer." He said "Lady, then you better not ride that motorcycle for 2 weeks.":D :eek:

that is funny

big daddy russ
05-18-2008, 01:22 AM
http://a472.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/85/l_35a3f3c0f3ddcf92741db9aae548aeff.jpg

Five months and no fatalities yet.

3afan
05-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Best dogs for children:

* 1. Golden Retriever

thats why Rusty remains the official dog of 3ADL .....

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4919/rusty1hc7.jpg

XtremeCouture
05-18-2008, 10:23 AM
two of the nicest dogs i've ever known were an alaskan husky and rottweiler. if you look at the owners of pitbulls and see how they are treated on a daily basis, theres no wonder they're vicious. anything can be domesticated but when you treat the dog like crap of course its going to have a vendetta against humans. i love how we just kill any animal that poses a threat against us yet people protest wars. so hypocritical

Chief Woodman
05-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by XtremeCouture
two of the nicest dogs i've ever known were an alaskan husky and rottweiler. if you look at the owners of pitbulls and see how they are treated on a daily basis, theres no wonder they're vicious. anything can be domesticated but when you treat the dog like crap of course its going to have a vendetta against humans. i love how we just kill any animal that poses a threat against us yet people protest wars. so hypocritical

If you do a follow up on the original story here, the Aunt OWNED the dogs and had done so since they were pups. The dogs were never abused in anyway and the little girl had even been playing with them before bath time. The point is this breed was produced to be violent and aggressive. Despite the dogs being well treated and never being treated "like crap" their ENTIRE life, when nature called they did what they were breed to do. ATTACK WITHOUT MERCY. So much for the thought of "how they are treated on a daily basis".

Chief Woodman
05-18-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
http://a472.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/85/l_35a3f3c0f3ddcf92741db9aae548aeff.jpg

And I hope you can still say that ten years from now, without having tremendous regret like so many owners do after the dog "snaps" without any prior warning.

BobcatBenny
05-18-2008, 03:58 PM
I was kinda surprised at that list.....most Pomeranians I have been around, I didn't trust....and poodles!!

The best most mild mannered dog I have is a golden retriever/yellow lab mix named Maggie.....she is sweet, Sweet, SWEET!!!
I have two Pomeranians and they love everybody. You may be thinking of some yappy dog. I was surprised too, because my mind had made them out to be vicious little brats too, but I think I was imposing the characteristics of some other breeds on them. They are great.

I did not choose these two knuckle heads, my wife did, but they chose me. When you say lap dogs, they were not kidding. If you do not have anything in your lap, then you have two dogs laying there.

BobcatBenny
05-18-2008, 04:03 PM

My brother adopted a pit bull and it was the best dog . . .

. . . until that fateful day. She jumped through a plate glass sliding door to eat his daughters pet bird.

After eating Tweety, that dog tried to eat everyone.

Too bad I really liked that dog, but now it lives on a farm! :eek:

turbostud
05-18-2008, 06:00 PM
I pepper sprayed a pit bull that wandered into my yard the other day. He wont be coming around anytime soon.

loboes86
05-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
I pepper sprayed a pit bull that wandered into my yard the other day. He wont be coming around anytime soon. That pepper spray didn't contain lead did it?:D

XtremeCouture
05-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
If you do a follow up on the original story here, the Aunt OWNED the dogs and had done so since they were pups. The dogs were never abused in anyway and the little girl had even been playing with them before bath time. The point is this breed was produced to be violent and aggressive. Despite the dogs being well treated and never being treated "like crap" their ENTIRE life, when nature called they did what they were breed to do. ATTACK WITHOUT MERCY. So much for the thought of "how they are treated on a daily basis".
yeah thats what they say. someone abused those dogs or taunted them whether it was the family or not

big daddy russ
05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
And I hope you can still say that ten years from now, without having tremendous regret like so many owners do after the dog "snaps" without any prior warning.
Me too. I've had five close friends who are/were at one point pit bull owners and because of my good experience with their pits, I decided to get one.

You're right about them being an animal, and being an extremely aggressive one at that, and he could snap at any time. But so could our lab. I've always loved a good pit's temperament and did a lot of research before allowing one into my house. My fiance (the one pictured, who weighs in at 4'11," 115 lbs.) was just as scared before researching the breed and meeting several at the local dog park, but changed her mind after getting closer to them.

If you don't care for them, that's fine. I understand and have no problem with your choice. Likewise, I'm completely at peace with my decision to adopt one. It's only a small minority of pits that are the vicious man-eaters and it's very rare that they snap.

big daddy russ
05-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
My brother adopted a pit bull and it was the best dog . . .

. . . until that fateful day. She jumped through a plate glass sliding door to eat his daughters pet bird.

After eating Tweety, that dog tried to eat everyone.

Too bad I really liked that dog, but now it lives on a farm! :eek:
Me and that dog could be hunting buddies.

NastySlot
05-18-2008, 11:26 PM
understand this i am in no way a fan of pit bulls...very dangerous animals.......but don't you think that they like other dogs see a toddler as just being a small animal or maybe another dog and thats why they attack small children so often.

IHStangFan
05-18-2008, 11:33 PM
really? that is horrible. You know...Im a dog lover but having a Pit just isnt worth the risk. And nobody can ever convince me otherwise. +1 I totally agree....ESPECIALLY if you have small children. As you say, it's not worth the risk.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
+1 I totally agree....ESPECIALLY if you have small children. As you say, it's not worth the risk.

I agree!! Like I said, we had a pit, but it was either keep it or no kids in the neighborhood were allowed at our house.

I found "Bullet" a good home with a friend of ours and he was always a very friendly dog until the day he died.

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
+1 I totally agree....ESPECIALLY if you have small children. As you say, it's not worth the risk.

IHS, I agree with what you say except what about the neighbor's kids? I would hate to think my hard-headedness and "right" to have any dog I want caused harm to some else's children, and especially my own!

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 09:08 AM
IHS, I agree with what you say except what about the neighbor's kids? I would hate to think my hard-headedness and "right" to have any dog I want caused harm to some else's children, and especially my own!

I have 2 dogs in my backyard now that I don't completely trust!!

When my granddaughter or any other small child is back there, they usually go to the dog pen.

They have never growled or anything, they just get a really "wary" look in their eyes that scares me!

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Me too. I've had five close friends who are/were at one point pit bull owners and because of my good experience with their pits, I decided to get one.

You're right about them being an animal, and being an extremely aggressive one at that, and he could snap at any time. But so could our lab.

Sorry, but that's just not true. Two totally seperate breeds with totally different temperments.

How come you never hear of a lab snapping?

I've always loved a good pit's temperament and did a lot of research before allowing one into my house. My fiance (the one pictured, who weighs in at 4'11," 115 lbs.) was just as scared before researching the breed and meeting several at the local dog park, but changed her mind after getting closer to them.

If you don't care for them, that's fine. I understand and have no problem with your choice. Likewise, I'm completely at peace with my decision to adopt one. It's only a small minority of pits that are the vicious man-eaters and it's very rare that they snap.

Is it really that rare?

I guess I don't really understand even taking the risk. There are so many great breeds of dogs, I guess I just don't understand the risk reward analysis on this one.

The first time is all it takes...Do you have children?

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
its not very rare....

Chief Woodman
05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
understand this i am in no way a fan of pit bulls...very dangerous animals.......but don't you think that they like other dogs see a toddler as just being a small animal or maybe another dog and thats why they attack small children so often.

Go google pit bull deaths. Look at the faces of many children AND adults who have been mauled to death. Small childeren, 12-yr olds, 80 somethings, 40 somethings. Most stories have a common theme- they owned the dog, had always treated it right and the dog had never shown any tendency to bite people before. If you have small children or may one day have small children and you own a pit bull - what in the world makes you want one so bad you would kill your own child to have one?

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 10:30 AM
If you have small children or may one day have small children and you own a pit bull - what in the world makes you want one so bad you would kill your own child to have one?

I hope and pray that none of our friends here who have a pit bull has to find out the hard way!!!:(

Chief Woodman
05-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I hope and pray that none of our friends here who have a pit bull has to find out the hard way!!!:(

Me too. In the job I have I have seen this a few times. No deaths, but some scary stuff. You can even hit the thing with a fire ax to protect yourself and it just keeps attacking.

big daddy russ
05-19-2008, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Sorry, but that's just not true. Two totally seperate breeds with totally different temperments.

How come you never hear of a lab snapping?

Is it really that rare?

I guess I don't really understand even taking the risk. There are so many great breeds of dogs, I guess I just don't understand the risk reward analysis on this one.

The first time is all it takes...Do you have children?
I used to have a lab that snapped. It can happen with any animal (or person) at any time. We left this one with a friend for about a week while we went on a trip and when we came back she was completely different.

A lab tends to be more laid back and relaxed whereas the pit is quite a bit more playful. It's nice to have that dynamic in our house.

And yes, it is rare. If there was some sort of poll, I'd bet that anywhere from 98%-99.9% of pits never snap. Since adopting Deacon (my pit), I've met quite a few more owners just from going down to the veternarian and dog park.

It's a funny bond that pit owners have. Maybe because of the fear associated with the breed or the way we're labeled, we talk quite a bit. In these five months, we've come across many owners, and none of them have ever had a problem with their pits. There was an elderly lady that had four at the dog park last month who had raised dozens since she adopted her first one out of a bad home over 40 years ago. Never had one do a bad thing and now she loves having them around for the protection. Cesar Milan has three or four and has no problem with pit bulls.

Maybe it's just the types of owners I've been around, but these dogs are well-cared for, are treated with the proper respect, and have never harmed another person.

So you might hear about pits snapping quite a bit, but that doesn't make it "common" any more than shootouts in Compton or celebrities who stay married for the long haul.

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I used to have a lab that snapped. It can happen with any animal (or person) at any time. We left this one with a friend for about a week while we went on a trip and when we came back she was completely different.

A lab tends to be more laid back and relaxed whereas the pit is quite a bit more playful. It's nice to have that dynamic in our house.

And yes, it is rare. If there was some sort of poll, I'd bet that anywhere from 98%-99.9% of pits never snap. Since adopting Deacon (my pit), I've met quite a few more owners just from going down to the veternarian and dog park.

It's a funny bond that pit owners have. Maybe because of the fear associated with the breed or the way we're labeled, we talk quite a bit. In these five months, we've come across many owners, and none of them have ever had a problem with their pits. There was an elderly lady that had four at the dog park last month who had raised dozens since she adopted her first one out of a bad home over 40 years ago. Never had one do a bad thing and now she loves having them around for the protection. Cesar Milan has three or four and has no problem with pit bulls.

Maybe it's just the types of owners I've been around, but these dogs are well-cared for, are treated with the proper respect, and have never harmed another person.

So you might hear about pits snapping quite a bit, but that doesn't make it "common" any more than shootouts in Compton or celebrities who stay married for the long haul.

98-99.9% You aren't serious are you?

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 10:44 AM

Have had two for years. One full, and one near full with some black mouth kerr. Just like some of you have your opinion opposing owning one, I have mine to own one. I love my dog and if someone wants to prohibit me from owning one at my house they had better be ready for a fight. It is funny how some people get scared of something and stop caring about these little things called civil liberties. Pretty soon we will have some many rules, laws, and stipulations that no one will be able to sneeze in public because it spreads germs. Give me a break. If a dog attacks, then put it down, but dont try to say I cant have one because some people are scared of them. Alternately, you can always exercise your right to make a decision and not own one, or let your children play around/near them, but please dont try to make my mind up for me. That is all. ;)

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Have had two for years. One full, and one near full with some black mouth kerr. Just like some of you have your opinion opposing owning one, I have mine to own one. I love my dog and if someone wants to prohibit me from owning one at my house they had better be ready for a fight. It is funny how some people get scared of something and stop caring about these little things called civil liberties. Pretty soon we will have some many rules, laws, and stipulations that no one will be able to sneeze in public because it spreads germs. Give me a break. If a dog attacks, then put it down, but dont try to say I cant have one because some people are scared of them. Alternately, you can always exercise your right to make a decision and not own one, or let your children play around/near them, but please dont try to make my mind up for me. That is all. ;) Amen!

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 10:47 AM
People have in them the instinct to kill without provocation or reason as well. To me, people are more dangerous than any dog ever will be. Maybe we should start offing people because they are aggressive, playful, and possibly could snap sometime day and hurt/kill someone.

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Have had two for years. One full, and one near full with some black mouth kerr. Just like some of you have your opinion opposing owning one, I have mine to own one. I love my dog and if someone wants to prohibit me from owning one at my house they had better be ready for a fight. It is funny how some people get scared of something and stop caring about these little things called civil liberties. Pretty soon we will have some many rules, laws, and stipulations that no one will be able to sneeze in public because it spreads germs. Give me a break. If a dog attacks, then put it down, but dont try to say I cant have one because some people are scared of them. Alternately, you can always exercise your right to make a decision and not own one, or let your children play around/near them, but please dont try to make my mind up for me. That is all. ;)
maybe I missed it somewhere but where did someone say that people shouldn't be able to own a pit?

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
I think its more like people saying they wouldnt have a pit because of this and because of that. People aren't saying you shouldnt be able to own a pit.

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 10:53 AM
maybe I missed it somewhere but where did someone say that people shouldn't be able to own a pit?

You didnt, someone else did. Just saying in general it is an ongoing issue with cities, towns, HOA's, and other municipalities where they try to place bans on certain types of dogs.

pirate4state
I think its more like people saying they wouldnt have a pit because of this and because of that. People aren't saying you shouldnt be able to own a pit. not yet anyway, but if insurance companies are already dropping people because of it and counties are instituting bans how long do you think it will be before someone tries to pass a law that you can't own a pit?

rockdale80

I'm am generally not in favor of the government limiting freedoms, but in this case, I think these municipalities would be well within reason to start banning these breeds.

Here ya go KA. And they werent breed for only one thing. Ignorance is bliss.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 10:54 AM

That was what I was wondering....if someone wants to own a pit, then that is their prerogative...heck, I owned one for a while myself.

One of the sweetest dogs I have ever known was my sister's half pit/half black lab.....in the 12 years she had him, he never as much as looked at a person in any way but friendly.....but heaven help the dog or cat that came within "attacking" distance!!

He was chasing a cat over a fence and hung himself with his "choke collar!"

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 10:54 AM
People have in them the instinct to kill without provocation or reason as well. To me, people are more dangerous than any dog ever will be. Maybe we should start offing people because they are aggressive, playful, and possibly could snap sometime day and hurt/kill someone.

This may well be the most ignorant post I have ever seen on the 3ADL. Advocating using common sense and reasonableness is quite different from advocating "offing" either dogs or humans. Get a grip.

big daddy russ
05-19-2008, 10:55 AM
98-99.9% You aren't serious are you?
LOL. You don't seriously think otherwise, do you? Do you actually believe that half the pits out there are mentally unstable and go haywire after being raised in a good home? Really? 50% of them?

Like I said, I've met dozens of pits and their owners and many times this isn't that owner's first pit. None of them have ever personally owned a pit who snapped. I'm not naive enough to think it never happens, but I'm also not naive enough to believe that it happens any more than 2% of the time.

jason
05-19-2008, 10:57 AM
we should all just get blue healers.....

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6008/pic0158cm1.jpg

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
not yet anyway, but if insurance companies are already dropping people because of it and counties are instituting bans how long do you think it will be before someone tries to pass a law that you can't own a pit?

Actually....pit bulls have been banned in Denver Colorado for close to 20 years!!

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 10:59 AM
i have no problem with insurance companies dropping people for not disclosing to them they have a pitbull. If that insurance company doesnt want to take a risk on them then they are entitled to that. Its no different then people getting dropped because they didn't disclose that they had a trampoline in their backyard or that they didnt have a fence around their pool or whatever.

People are always entitled to their own opinion. Thats what makes this country so great I guess.

big daddy russ
05-19-2008, 11:01 AM
It sure looks like we're on a slippery slope.

We were discussing this at work today...What if it became a law that pet owners are forced to carry some kind of insurance if they own a "viscous breed" of dog? Would you be in favor of this?

...The point is this breed was produced to be violent and aggressive. Despite the dogs being well treated and never being treated "like crap" their ENTIRE life, when nature called they did what they were breed to do. ATTACK WITHOUT MERCY. So much for the thought of "how they are treated on a daily basis".

Go google pit bull deaths. Look at the faces of many children AND adults who have been mauled to death. Small childeren, 12-yr olds, 80 somethings, 40 somethings. Most stories have a common theme- they owned the dog, had always treated it right and the dog had never shown any tendency to bite people before. If you have small children or may one day have small children and you own a pit bull - what in the world makes you want one so bad you would kill your own child to have one?

...and finally...

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
LOL. You don't seriously think otherwise, do you? Do you actually believe that half the pits out there are mentally unstable and go haywire after being raised in a good home? Really? 50% of them?

Like I said, I've met dozens of pits and their owners and many times this isn't that owner's first pit. None of them have ever personally owned a pit who snapped. I'm not naive enough to think it never happens, but I'm also not naive enough to believe that it happens any more than 2% of the time. \

when did I say 50%. I have no idea what the percentage is but if I were a betting man I would say more than your theory of .01% of pits snap.

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Actually....pit bulls have been banned in Denver Colorado for close to 20 years!! What is the punishment for someone who breaks this law?

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
What is the punishment for someone who breaks this law?

I have no clue....I just remembered that because that is where my sister lived with her pit/lab mix when it was passed....so she had to hide him a lot!!!

big daddy russ
05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
\

when did I say 50%. I have no idea what the percentage is but if I were a betting man I would say more than your theory of .01% of pits snap.
You never said half, it was just a generalization I took from the way this thread is headed.

And I actually said somewhere between .01% and 2%, which I stand behind.

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I have no clue....I just remembered that because that is where my sister lived with her pit/lab mix when it was passed....so she had to hide him a lot!!! Actually, it looks like the ban was overturned in 2004.

http://media.www.collegian.com/media/storage/paper864/news/2004/04/27/NewsregionalAndState/Denver.Overturns.Ban.On.Pit.Bulls-1704240.shtml

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Actually, it looks like the ban was overturned in 2004.

http://media.www.collegian.com/media/storage/paper864/news/2004/04/27/NewsregionalAndState/Denver.Overturns.Ban.On.Pit.Bulls-1704240.shtml

It was for 13 months...and then put back because of the soaring rate of pit bull attacks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/specials/chi-0610080349oct08,0,1435851.story?page=3

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 11:10 AM
This may well be the most ignorant post I have ever seen on the 3ADL. Advocating using common sense and reasonableness is quite different from advocating "offing" either dogs or humans. Get a grip.

Why? Because I think people are more dangerous than all the breeds of dogs together? Certainly you arent naive enough to think that dogs have caused more death and destruction than mankind? People snap and kill people more than dogs do. And you insinuate that people use reason and common sense, then you have Jeffrey Dahmer, Andrea Yates, Charles Manson, etc. I stand behind my belief that people pose more of a danger to me and themselves than any animal.

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Actually, it looks like the ban was overturned in 2004.

but then this web site reads as it's still in the books http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/245/documents/855pitbull.PDF

reading this makes me want to pull my hair out. :doh:

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 11:16 AM
but then this web site reads as it's still in the books http://www.denvergov.org/Portals/245/documents/855pitbull.PDF

reading this makes me want to pull my hair out. :doh:

Must make my computer want to pull its hair out too....every time I go to that link my computer freezes up!!:mad:

pirate4state
05-19-2008, 11:17 AM
Must make my computer want to pull its hair out too....every time I go to that link my computer freezes up!!:mad: It's because it's STUPID!!!

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
It's because it's STUPID!!!

My computer???

I agree....I tell it that AT LEAST once a day!! :p

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Originally, Pit Bulls were bred to be fighting dogs as well as bull hearders and "Farmer helpers". They were also used to kill animals that were harming their crops.....according to the email I just received about the breed.

ronwx5x
05-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Why? Because I think people are more dangerous than all the breeds of dogs together? Certainly you arent naive enough to think that dogs have caused more death and destruction than mankind? People snap and kill people more than dogs do. And you insinuate that people use reason and common sense, then you have Jeffrey Dahmer, Andrea Yates, Charles Manson, etc. I stand behind my belief that people pose more of a danger to me and themselves than any animal.

And I behind mine. We have a choice on dogs, not on people.

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Have had two for years. One full, and one near full with some black mouth kerr. Just like some of you have your opinion opposing owning one, I have mine to own one. I love my dog and if someone wants to prohibit me from owning one at my house they had better be ready for a fight.

Well, the tide is turning and I think it's a fight you will lose.

It is funny how some people get scared of something and stop caring about these little things called civil liberties. Pretty soon we will have some many rules, laws, and stipulations that no one will be able to sneeze in public because it spreads germs.

Come on, dude. You can't be serious? Your civil liberties stop when it comes to your animal tearing someone's face off.

Give me a break. If a dog attacks, then put it down, but dont try to say I cant have one because some people are scared of them.

I'm sure this comment would be comforting for the parents of the kid in Breck. What the hell good does it do to put one down that has already done the damage?!

Alternately, you can always exercise your right to make a decision and not own one, or let your children play around/near them, but please dont try to make my mind up for me. That is all. ;)

That's the problem. Many of these victims did not have a choice.

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 12:25 PM
Well, the tide is turning and I think it's a fight you will lose.

Come on, dude. You can't be serious? Your civil liberties stop when it comes to your animal tearing someone's face off.

I'm sure this comment would be comforting for the parents of the kid in Breck. What the hell good does it do to put one down that has already done the damage?!

That's the problem. Many of these victims did not have a choice.

Wow. There was so much prejudice and stereotyping thrown in there, I am not sure where to begin.

1. I will always fight for my civil liberties. I think as Americans we fold for fear and the unknown.
2. My dog has not bitten anyone, nor has it led me to believe that it ever would, so how do you justify this line of thinking? Like I said, people are dangerous. Should we just start killing every Muslim because there is an extremist sect called Al-Queda? I think by you thinking I know the answer to that question though.
3. You know situations like this are tragic. They really are. I also believe that people are like dogs though. You raise them right, but there are no guarantees. I am sure you see kids come from a good and loving family that make bad decisions. It is no different and you run that risk with any dog. If you dont want a pit, then dont get one. .....

on a side note to that, what good does it do to fry a murder? It doesnt bring the victim back.

4. That is what makes them a victim....the lack of choice.

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 12:34 PM
Tod Robberson: Dallas' fire-hydrant approach to dog control

12:25 PM CDT on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway made it sound so easy when he stated at a recent City Council meeting in southern Dallas: If you encounter a loose dog, call 311. If that doesn't get results, he added, "Escalate to 911."

Those services are great for dealing with a vicious dog after it has attacked, but they're lousy at preventing attacks from occurring in the first place. The city's bureaucracy is too cumbersome and its Animal Control staff stretched far too thinly to adequately deal with the vicious dogs roaming our streets. The tragedy of this situation is that many people will be bitten and emotionally scarred for life before the City Council confronts this problem. What are you waiting for?

Mr. Caraway's campaign helps, especially since his southern Dallas district is heavily infested with dangerous dogs. But before telling people to act, he needs to understand the legal process in its full bureaucratic glory.

I was attacked on my street by an unleashed pit-bull mix on Feb. 21. The dog is owned by a neighbor who has repeatedly let it run free. By the time this dog attacked me, Animal Control had received at least five previous complaints about him.

I was initially pleased by authorities' quick response after the attack. Within minutes, four police cars were dispatched. An Animal Control van arrived shortly afterward, removing the dog for a 10-day quarantine.

But the owner was unapologetic, yelling all kinds of expletives at me for phoning the police. Because it was obvious she would do nothing to restrain her dog, I needed to make sure authorities followed up.

It took two weeks and about 20 phone calls before Animal Control finally arranged a "dangerous dog" hearing. To bolster my case, I had to go door-to-door, begging neighbors to testify about the terror this dog had previously caused. Two neighbors swore affidavits that the dog had come within inches of attacking their children – including toddlers.

At the April 16 hearing, I presented photos of my dog-bite wounds and $160 in medical bills. The dog's owner didn't bother to attend. The hearing officer, Dallas Animal Services interim manager Paul Curington, issued a dangerous-dog ruling and imposed the maximum sanction, ordering the owner to post "dangerous dog" signs around her property, build a containment fence and purchase a $100,000 insurance policy.

Today, her yard remains unfenced. No signs are posted. The dog continues to roam unleashed along with another pit-bull puppy she's since purchased. Other neighbors and I have called 311 to complain, only to be told that an Animal Control officer must witness the violation before action can be taken. Despite all my efforts, the dog's owner continues to behave with impunity.

In the meantime, another colleague in our office has been attacked by a vicious dog in her neighborhood. Shockingly, an Animal Control officer who tried to seize that dog departed empty-handed because the owner refused to surrender it.

How did the rules become so twisted that authorities seem powerless to act? Why do the rules work against the victims while giving the owners of vicious dogs wide latitude to escape responsibility and criminal liability?

I've examined the city's proposed changes to the dangerous-dog ordinance, and I'm appalled. At a minimum, the state needs to dump its "one free bite" rule, and Dallas should ascribe an automatic dangerous-dog designation to all pit bulls and Rottweilers. They are responsible for half of serious dog attacks nationwide even though they represent only a small percentage of the dog population.

Denver has banned pit bulls altogether – and successfully defended the ban in court. Dallas prefers a fire-hydrant approach. Stand there and do nothing while vicious dogs and their owners mark their turf.

The scars on my leg – inflicted by a pit bull that's still running free – are evidence enough that someone is hiding behind the fence on this issue. And it sure as heck isn't the dog.

Tod Robberson is an editorial writer for The Dallas Morning News. This column reflects his personal opinion. His e-mail address is trobberson@dallasnews.com.

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Tod Robberson: Dallas' fire-hydrant approach to dog control

12:25 PM CDT on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Deputy Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway made it sound so easy when he stated at a recent City Council meeting in southern Dallas: If you encounter a loose dog, call 311. If that doesn't get results, he added, "Escalate to 911."

Those services are great for dealing with a vicious dog after it has attacked, but they're lousy at preventing attacks from occurring in the first place. The city's bureaucracy is too cumbersome and its Animal Control staff stretched far too thinly to adequately deal with the vicious dogs roaming our streets. The tragedy of this situation is that many people will be bitten and emotionally scarred for life before the City Council confronts this problem. What are you waiting for?

Mr. Caraway's campaign helps, especially since his southern Dallas district is heavily infested with dangerous dogs. But before telling people to act, he needs to understand the legal process in its full bureaucratic glory.

I was attacked on my street by an unleashed pit-bull mix on Feb. 21. The dog is owned by a neighbor who has repeatedly let it run free. By the time this dog attacked me, Animal Control had received at least five previous complaints about him.

I was initially pleased by authorities' quick response after the attack. Within minutes, four police cars were dispatched. An Animal Control van arrived shortly afterward, removing the dog for a 10-day quarantine.

But the owner was unapologetic, yelling all kinds of expletives at me for phoning the police. Because it was obvious she would do nothing to restrain her dog, I needed to make sure authorities followed up.

It took two weeks and about 20 phone calls before Animal Control finally arranged a "dangerous dog" hearing. To bolster my case, I had to go door-to-door, begging neighbors to testify about the terror this dog had previously caused. Two neighbors swore affidavits that the dog had come within inches of attacking their children – including toddlers.

At the April 16 hearing, I presented photos of my dog-bite wounds and $160 in medical bills. The dog's owner didn't bother to attend. The hearing officer, Dallas Animal Services interim manager Paul Curington, issued a dangerous-dog ruling and imposed the maximum sanction, ordering the owner to post "dangerous dog" signs around her property, build a containment fence and purchase a $100,000 insurance policy.

Today, her yard remains unfenced. No signs are posted. The dog continues to roam unleashed along with another pit-bull puppy she's since purchased. Other neighbors and I have called 311 to complain, only to be told that an Animal Control officer must witness the violation before action can be taken. Despite all my efforts, the dog's owner continues to behave with impunity.

In the meantime, another colleague in our office has been attacked by a vicious dog in her neighborhood. Shockingly, an Animal Control officer who tried to seize that dog departed empty-handed because the owner refused to surrender it.

How did the rules become so twisted that authorities seem powerless to act? Why do the rules work against the victims while giving the owners of vicious dogs wide latitude to escape responsibility and criminal liability?

I've examined the city's proposed changes to the dangerous-dog ordinance, and I'm appalled. At a minimum, the state needs to dump its "one free bite" rule, and Dallas should ascribe an automatic dangerous-dog designation to all pit bulls and Rottweilers. They are responsible for half of serious dog attacks nationwide even though they represent only a small percentage of the dog population.

Denver has banned pit bulls altogether – and successfully defended the ban in court. Dallas prefers a fire-hydrant approach. Stand there and do nothing while vicious dogs and their owners mark their turf.

The scars on my leg – inflicted by a pit bull that's still running free – are evidence enough that someone is hiding behind the fence on this issue. And it sure as heck isn't the dog.

Tod Robberson is an editorial writer for The Dallas Morning News. This column reflects his personal opinion. His e-mail address is trobberson@dallasnews.com.

NM

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Wow. There was so much prejudice and stereotyping thrown in there, I am not sure where to begin.

Are you serious?! To have prejudice or stereotyping, I would have no previous information to go on. Are you telling me we have no history or background to go on to come to these conclusion?

1. I will always fight for my civil liberties. I think as Americans we fold for fear and the unknown.

Again, do you have the libery to own a mountain lion and leave it roaming around your yard?

This is a dumb argument.

2. My dog has not bitten anyone, nor has it led me to believe that it ever would, so how do you justify this line of thinking?

It seems like everyone of these stories we read quotes the owner shocked and that the dog never showed any sign of this.

Like I said, people are dangerous. Should we just start killing every Muslim because there is an extremist sect called Al-Queda? I think by you thinking I know the answer to that question though.

Rock, this is just a silly argument. You're a smart guy...come on..

3. You know situations like this are tragic. They really are. I also believe that people are like dogs though. You raise them right, but there are no guarantees. I am sure you see kids come from a good and loving family that make bad decisions. It is no different and you run that risk with any dog. If you dont want a pit, then dont get one. .....

Most of the victims are not the owners! That's the freaking problem!

You are in denial.

on a side note to that, what good does it do to fry a murder? It doesnt bring the victim back.

4. That is what makes them a victim....the lack of choice.

You can't compare people and animals. It really makes you look silly.

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 01:09 PM
Are you serious?! To have prejudice or stereotyping, I would have no previous information to go on. Are you telling me we have no history or background to go on to come to these conclusion?

Again, do you have the libery to own a mountain lion and leave it roaming around your yard?

This is a dumb argument.

It seems like everyone of these stories we read quotes the owner shocked and that the dog never showed any sign of this.

Rock, this is just a silly argument. You're a smart guy...come on..

Most of the victims are not the owners! That's the freaking problem!

You are in denial.

You can't compare people and animals. It really makes you look silly. .

Then dont get a pit, and I will keep mine. End of the argument. Dont attempt to determine what I can and cant have in my yard either. You tend your business and I will tend mine. If my dog ever interferes with your life, we can deal with it at that juncture.

That is the best advise for everyone.

P.S. Humans are classified as animals. Did you miss that in science class?

And judging an entire breed of dog based on a few makes you look simple minded.

kaorder1999
05-19-2008, 01:11 PM

And judging an entire breed of dog based on a few makes you look simple minded.
Well...then I guess there are a lot of simple minded looking people in this world!!! :D How do you "look" naive anyway? Isnt that what simple minded means?

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 01:37 PM
I have noticed that everyone defending the nature of a pit bull DOESN'T have children!!

I think when you have a kids of your own, you take things like this into consideration a LOT more than you would if didn't have kids.

Just my opinion!!!

I never really worried about my own dogs and I have had one of them for 8 years, because my kids were older.

Since my granddaughter was born, I noticed its the little ones that make him wary......so far he hasn't shown any signs of aggression, just that weird look in his eye.....he is getting the benefit of the doubt right now, but ONE thing and he's gone!!

I just hope I never have to come back here and regret that decision!!

(This dog is a border collie/blue heeler mix!)

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 02:01 PM

Then dont get a pit, and I will keep mine. End of the argument. Dont attempt to determine what I can and cant have in my yard either. You tend your business and I will tend mine. If my dog ever interferes with your life, we can deal with it at that juncture.

The problem is that when your freedoms interfer with other people's freedoms.

And in this case, by the time we realize my freedom's have been violated, someone is dead.

Let me ask this question. Do you have a problem with someone having a mountain lion in their backyard or chained up in the yard?

P.S. Humans are classified as animals. Did you miss that in science class?

And judging an entire breed of dog based on a few makes you look simple minded. [/B]

:eek:

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 02:29 PM
The problem is that when your freedoms interfer with other people's freedoms.

And in this case, by the time we realize my freedom's have been violated, someone is dead.

Let me ask this question. Do you have a problem with someone having a mountain lion in their backyard or chained up in the yard?

:eek:

If that is what you want do have in YOUR yard, then by all means go for it. If you do choose that then, like me, you should be aware of the consequences.

Do you think we should ban all alcohol and cigarettes because someone else's freedoms violate yours?

Macarthur
05-19-2008, 02:37 PM
If that is what you want do have in YOUR yard, then by all means go for it. If you do choose that then, like me, you should be aware of the consequences.

So you have no problem with your next door neighbor having a mountain lion roaming their yard next to you? How about a brown bear?

Would you like your kids or grandkids playing outside?

Do you think we should ban all alcohol and cigarettes because someone else's freedoms violate yours?

No, they should not be banned. Silly analogy.

DDBooger
05-19-2008, 02:44 PM

i've never been mauled by alcohol, but its made me want to maul many people! :D ;)

nobogey72
05-19-2008, 02:48 PM
Rockdale and McArthur

Yaw'll seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum concerning Pit Bulls. How would both of you respond to legislation that put the burden of guilt on the owner (no matter what kind of breed it was). Rockdale, I can tell from your posts that you probably don't let your dog run around unsupervised, but obviously there are some that do. Maybe if there were some consequences to just letting them run free, that there would be fewer stories like these that we are all tired of reading. Your thoughts ?

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
Rockdale and McArthur

Yaw'll seem to be at the opposite end of the spectrum concerning Pit Bulls. How would both of you respond to legislation that put the burden of guilt on the owner (no matter what kind of breed it was). Rockdale, I can tell from your posts that you probably don't let your dog run around unsupervised, but obviously there are some that do. Maybe if there were some consequences to just letting them run free, that there would be fewer stories like these that we are all tired of reading. Your thoughts ?

WOW!! I never thought I would consider you the "voice of reason!!" :eek: :eek: ;)

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Rockdale and McArthur

Well I have no problem with leash laws and if a dog shows aggressive tendancies then, personally, I am finished with them. I think any dog can snap without provocation and that is unfortunate. I understand that my dog could cause harm as could any dog, and I do everything I can to work with my dogs. They are hunting dogs and I work with them daily. Having said that, I understand that if they did somehow get out and hurt someone, I would be responsible (I dont agree with it), but I understand that and I act accordingly.

I think most (not all, but most) attacks by any breed dog are caused by mistreatment of the animal, etc. I think people that dont take care of their dogs are useless and should be punished more harsly than the ones that do everything that a responsible person can do to prevent things like that from happening and the dog snaps. Ultimately, you are holding a person responsible for the actions of a domesticated animal, and that person is being held accountable for something out of thier control. Pit bull owners are scrutinized more so than others because of the sheer power of the animal, but other dogs are aggressive and attack as well. It is more reported and known because of the nature of the attacks though and that is why I think the numbers are skewed somewhat.

I take care of my animals. They are enclosed in the back yard, and further kenneled when I am not home. I keep them on a leash between the yard and the truck, and if other people come over when they are out I supervise. They are well trained and stop on command. That doesnt mean they will never attack anyone, but I doubt seriously if they will. Mine are extremely gently and maintained.

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 03:32 PM
Well I have no problem with leash laws and if a dog shows aggressive tendancies then, personally, I am finished with them. I think any dog can snap without provocation and that is unfortunate. I understand that my dog could cause harm as could any dog, and I do everything I can to work with my dogs. They are hunting dogs and I work with them daily. Having said that, I understand that if they did somehow get out and hurt someone, I would be responsible (I dont agree with it), but I understand that and I act accordingly.

I think most (not all, but most) attacks by any breed dog are caused by mistreatment of the animal, etc. I think people that dont take care of their dogs are useless and should be punished more harsly than the ones that do everything that a responsible person can do to prevent things like that from happening and the dog snaps. Ultimately, you are holding a person responsible for the actions of a domesticated animal, and that person is being held accountable for something out of thier control. Pit bull owners are scrutinized more so than others because of the sheer power of the animal, but other dogs are aggressive and attack as well. It is more reported and known because of the nature of the attacks though and that is why I think the numbers are skewed somewhat.

I take care of my animals. They are enclosed in the back yard, and further kenneled when I am not home. I keep them on a leash between the yard and the truck, and if other people come over when they are out I supervise. They are well trained and stop on command. That doesnt mean they will never attack anyone, but I doubt seriously if they will. Mine are extremely gently and maintained.

It sounds as if you are taking every safeguard you possibly can, which is good. I wish more dog owners (not only pit bull owners) were like that!!

STANG RED
05-19-2008, 03:36 PM
.P.S. Humans are classified as animals. Did you miss that in science class?

That's probably the same science class that teaches Darwin's "THEORY" of evolution as if it were a fact. Which it is not!
I didnt come from an ape, and i doubt you did either.
Humans are not animals and the rights of humans over animals should be very clear. God gave us authority over all animals. And any animal that endangers human life should be delt with harshley.

rockdale80
05-19-2008, 03:37 PM
It sounds as if you are taking every safeguard you possibly can, which is good. I wish more dog owners (not only pit bull owners) were like that!!

And both of mine are smaller. They are taller and more leggy than broad and powerful. At the end of the day they are dogs and think on their own so I dont want to chance them hurting anyone else. I would safeguard any dog the same way. Any animal is capable of that.

I do oppose anyone telling me what breed of dog I can have, or punishing me financially because of what they are though.
I get punished enough buying dog food for them;)

Ranger Mom
05-19-2008, 03:39 PM
And both of mine are smaller. They are taller and more leggy than broad and powerful. At the end of the day they are dogs and think on their own so I dont want to chance them hurting anyone else. I would safeguard any dog the same way. Any animal is capable of that.

I do oppose anyone telling me what breed of dog I can have, or punishing me financially because of what they are though.
I get punished enough buying dog food for them;)

I don't think a pit bull owner ONLY should be held financially responsible if their dog harms a human.....I would expect if one of my mutts bit someone, I would be held responsible financially also.

DU_stud04
05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
one day my rottweiler got out(we were at my grandma's away from everything) and he came back with a kitten. i thought he had killed it and was carrying it around as a trophy. he put the kitten down in front of me, completely unharmed and looked unfed. my grandma ended up keeping the cat and blackjack(rott) acted like a big brother around it and took protection over it. it was pretty cool since i was maybe 10 at the time.(my rottweiler was bigger than me, biggest rott ive seen to this day)

Sftball4Life
05-19-2008, 04:22 PM
link: Louisiana Woman Killed by Her Own Dogs (http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=7756623)

This is just one of MANY news stories about grown-ups being killed by these dogs that they have raised from puppies. They are beautiful animals - but it is bred into their blood - and anybody that owns one (and especially more than one - as all dogs seem to be much more aggressive in packs) needs to always keep one eye looking behind them...

sinfan75
05-19-2008, 09:09 PM
I had a pit bull back in the 80's, a female. No problem whatsoever with her. Neighbors grandson used to crawl all over her and she'd just lick him. Hell she wouldn't even bark at anybody except me when she got hungry. Everybody used to joke about her bein the most vicious pit bull they'd ever seen. she'd just lick everybody to death. I think a lot of the problem with pits today is that several people are gettin em and inbreeding em to make em more vicious or better fighters or hunters. and several people like to keep em chained all the time and when they're not on a chain they're on a leash. So they don't have much freedom. I kept mine on a running line when I was at work or away from home but when i was at home i let her loose so she could go play without no restraint. My step-son was 4 years old at that time and she followed him everywhere he went. I no they have attacked alot of people but so has dobermans, rottweilers, german shephards and several others. it's just that when a pit does it it gets national attention.

big daddy russ
05-19-2008, 10:55 PM
I have noticed that everyone defending the nature of a pit bull DOESN'T have children!!

I think when you have a kids of your own, you take things like this into consideration a LOT more than you would if didn't have kids.

Just my opinion!!!

I never really worried about my own dogs and I have had one of them for 8 years, because my kids were older.

Since my granddaughter was born, I noticed its the little ones that make him wary......so far he hasn't shown any signs of aggression, just that weird look in his eye.....he is getting the benefit of the doubt right now, but ONE thing and he's gone!!

I just hope I never have to come back here and regret that decision!!

(This dog is a border collie/blue heeler mix!)
Apparently, Reggie was a child when he got his. One of my best friends that owns one has a kid, and mine is around kids on a weekly basis up at the dog park. Granted, I never leave him un-supervised around kids, but he's never given me a reason to think he's aggressive or too rough with them. He's actually more gentle with little ones.

I'll wait until he's a year and a half old before I make a final decision as to whether he's well-tempered enough to keep him after we have kids, but those considerations will also be taken with our lab (who's only 14 months old).

I don't know why these attacks happen. Maybe they really do just snap, maybe they're provoked, maybe they're mistreated, maybe their aggression stems from lack of social interaction or excersize (I take both my dogs to the dog park weekly and walk them on walk them daily), or maybe it's something else entirely. What I know is that the pits I see with good owners are the ones that never snap. And a bad owner may be as simple as someone who keeps their dog locked up all day or never excersizes them, but there's a reason Cesar Milan has great luck with pits while they seem to "snap so often" with everyone else.

It takes more effort to raise a pit than any other breed of dog, but for many of us it's worth it. The daily walks, consistent discipline, and small bladder can test your patience, but Deacon's been the best preparation for kids that I can ask for. All the time invested, all the discipline problems, all the times I wanted to rip my hair out but kept my cool anyways, it's all been worth it because I already see him becoming a well-balanced dog who's great around kids and other animals alike. He's completely cool, calm and collected around dogs who are being aggressive towards him, is gentle with kids, and is friendly with all people and dogs. The year to year-and-a-half mark is where we see how far along he really is, but he's been a great dog for both of us and changed the opinions of both Amanda's and my own parents about the breed.

Macarthur
05-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Rockdale and McArthur

Here's the problem with this particular breed. When they attack it almost always results in death, especially children. It's true that other dogs attack, but the rate at which it is fatal is much higher in pit bulls.

I don't have a problem with punishing the owner, but again, by the time the owner is punished, generally someone is dead.

Let me ask you, if your child is attacked and killed by one of these, how much consolation will it be that the owner goes to jail for 90-days and pays a fine? Is that good enough for you?

And Rockdale and others that defend this breed, fail to acknowledge is that almost all of these attacks happen and the owners are shocked because the dog has never shown aggression. It only takes one time.

Look, I have 3 dogs. I love dogs, but this breed was invented to kill; plain and simple. These breeds serve absolutely no function, especially since there are so many quality dog breeds out there.

And I know the arguement will always come back, "well, other breeds snap too..., blah, blah..." While that is technically true, please look up the statistics on fatalities and dog attacks. When a lab attacks, people live; when a sheppard attacks people live; when a pit bull attacks, people die and kids have absolutely no chance.

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Here's the problem with this particular breed. When they attack it almost always results in death, especially children. It's true that other dogs attack, but the rate at which it is fatal is much higher in pit bulls.

I don't have a problem with punishing the owner, but again, by the time the owner is punished, generally someone is dead.

Let me ask you, if your child is attacked and killed by one of these, how much consolation will it be that the owner goes to jail for 90-days and pays a fine? Is that good enough for you?

And Rockdale and others that defend this breed, fail to acknowledge is that almost all of these attacks happen and the owners are shocked because the dog has never shown aggression. It only takes one time.

Look, I have 3 dogs. I love dogs, but this breed was invented to kill; plain and simple. These breeds serve absolutely no function, especially since there are so many quality dog breeds out there.

And I know the arguement will always come back, "well, other breeds snap too..., blah, blah..." While that is technically true, please look up the statistics on fatalities and dog attacks. When a lab attacks, people live; when a sheppard attacks people live; when a pit bull attacks, people die and kids have absolutely no chance.

In 2007, there were 32 fatal dog maulings in the USA.

The number of fatal dog attacks in the USA has been going up. The yearly average was 17 in the 1980s and 1990s; as stated above, there were 32 deaths in 2007, which is roughly double the average in the prior two decades.

There currently are 74.8 million dogs in the USA

Do the math and let me know how you justify outlawing an entire breed of dog based on that. The statistics above are for all breeds of dog, and not just pit bulls. It is creating a law for something that is less dangerous than crossing the street, driving down the street, or smoking a cigarette. Give me a break there MacArthur.

kaorder1999
05-20-2008, 11:12 AM

The number of fatal dog attacks in the USA has been going up. The yearly average was 17 in the 1980s and 1990s; as stated above, there were 32 deaths in 2007, which is roughly double the average in the prior two decades.

Do the math and let me know how you justify outlawing an entire breed of dog based on that. The statistics above are for all breeds of dog, and not just pit bulls. It is creating a law for something that is less dangerous than crossing the street, driving down the street, or smoking a cigarette. Give me a break there MacArthur.

those are just the fatal attacks. Search the internet and look at the pics of the kids with deformed faces and missing hands and such. You have to take those into account.

kaorder1999
05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
its a never ending argument. Those with Pits that havent bitten anyone are going to totally support the breed until theirs snaps and someone has to say I told you so and those without a Pit that have seen the damage first hand that the breed can create will continue to stand behind their beliefs. Its an argument that will never end!

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 11:18 AM
those are just the fatal attacks. Search the internet and look at the pics of the kids with deformed faces and missing hands and such. You have to take those into account.

That is all dogs above though. Do you really think we should make a law prohibiting an entire breed of dog because of 32 deaths out of the nearly 75 million dogs? They kill/maim less than we kill/maim each other.

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
its a never ending argument. Those with Pits that havent bitten anyone are going to totally support the breed until theirs snaps and someone has to say I told you so and those without a Pit that have seen the damage first hand that the breed can create will continue to stand behind their beliefs. Its an argument that will never end!

I support my right to make decisions and not have the government make decisions for me. Thanks for assuming though. And considering the number of dogs to the number of attacks there are several million dogs out there that dont bite.

kaorder1999
05-20-2008, 11:20 AM
That is all dogs above though. Do you really think we should make a law prohibiting an entire breed of dog because of 32 deaths out of the nearly 75 million dogs? They kill/maim less than we kill/maim each other.

am I lobbying for such a law? No....

Would it hurt my feelings or bother me if they did it? No....

pirate4state
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM

I don't have a pit bull. I don't like them, but I will not, nor should anyone else, be okay with there being a law that says you can't have a pit or any kind of dog. What's next? Cats? Birds? Snakes?

Ranger Mom
05-20-2008, 11:24 AM
I support my right to make decisions and not have the government make decisions for me. Thanks for assuming though. And considering the number of dogs to the number of attacks there are several million dogs out there that dont bite.

Just out of curiosity....when and if you have kids, what will you tell them when their friends aren't allowed to come to your house to play with them because you own one or more pit bulls??

That was the decision I had to make!

Macarthur
05-20-2008, 11:31 AM

Man, the statistics are against you on this one.

The Clifton study of attacks from 1982 through 2006 produced similar results. According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006).

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Analysis

The tallies of attacks, attacks on children, attacks on adults,
fatalities, and maimings on the above data sheet must be evaluated in three
different contexts. The first pertains to breed-specific characteristic
behavior, the second to bite frequency as opposed to the frequency of
severe injuries, and the third to degree of relative risk.
Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity
to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost
as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are
normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more
often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to
engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to
defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls seem to differ
behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking
people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking
seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking
pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus
the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity
to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog.

Pit bulls are far and away the most fatal breed.

If you care to read this, read some of the deaths due to other breeds: accidental strangulation, caused elderly owner to fall which resulted in death, several breeds "involved" in attacks with other dogs (you guessed it, pit bull terriers and/or rott), rabid lab, etc.

The point is, when pitt's attack it is extremely aggressive and in many cases fatal. That is just not the case with other breeds.

pirate4state
05-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Let's just round 'em all up & kill 'em!

Macarthur
05-20-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't have a pit bull. I don't like them, but I will not, nor should anyone else, be okay with there being a law that says you can't have a pit or any kind of dog. What's next? Cats? Birds? Snakes?

What about mountain lions? Can I have a brown bear in my back yard? Hey, cool, how about a bengal tiger?

You are lumping all dogs in with Pitts. No one wants all dogs banned, silly.

Read the data I've produced and tell me if you're going to go get a pitt for your kids to play with...

Ranger Mom
05-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Let's just round 'em all up & kill 'em!

I know you are joking, but there are many that would love to see that happen!!

Macarthur
05-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, that's not practical or humane, but you could do forced nuetering and it would take care of itself over time.

pirate4state
05-20-2008, 11:43 AM
What about mountain lions? Can I have a brown bear in my back yard? Hey, cool, how about a bengal tiger?

You are lumping all dogs in with Pitts. No one wants all dogs banned, silly.

Read the data I've produced and tell me if you're going to go get a pitt for your kids to play with...

When did mountain lions, bears or tigers get labeled "man's best friend"?

Isn't a pit bull a dog? I understand they can be dangerous dogs, but ALL dogs can be dangerous. Yes, pits are more dangerous than other dogs, but the danger is still there in ALL dogs. If you ban one breed, you are opening the door to ban others deemed too dangerous in the future. And that's not something I'm on board with.

pirate4state
05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
I know you are joking, but there are many that would love to see that happen!! That's the scary part. People let their fears take over & all hell breaks loose! :crazy1:

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 11:53 AM
When did mountain lions, bears or tigers get labeled "man's best friend"?

Isn't a pit bull a dog? I understand they can be dangerous dogs, but ALL dogs can be dangerous. Yes, pits are more dangerous than other dogs, but the danger is still there in ALL dogs. If you ban one breed, you are opening the door to ban others deemed too dangerous in the future. And that's not something I'm on board with.

Well its not against the law to have a tiger as a pet, lion and bear I dont know about, but it as to do with their numbers and not the threat they pose. If you are scared of pits then dont get near them. If you want to pet mine, I will hold your hand while you do it Nancy.

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 11:54 AM
Man, the statistics are against you on this one.

The Clifton study of attacks from 1982 through 2006 produced similar results. According to Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides that occurred during a period of 24 years in the USA. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006).

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf

Analysis

The tallies of attacks, attacks on children, attacks on adults,
fatalities, and maimings on the above data sheet must be evaluated in three
different contexts. The first pertains to breed-specific characteristic
behavior, the second to bite frequency as opposed to the frequency of
severe injuries, and the third to degree of relative risk.
Of the breeds most often involved in incidents of sufficient severity
to be listed, pit bull terriers are noteworthy for attacking adults almost
as frequently as children. This is a very rare pattern: children are
normally at greatest risk from dogbite because they play with dogs more
often, have less experience in reading dog behavior, are more likely to
engage in activity that alarms or stimulates a dog, and are less able to
defend themselves when a dog becomes aggressive. Pit bulls seem to differ
behaviorally from other dogs in having far less inhibition about attacking
people who are larger than they are. They are also notorious for attacking
seemingly without warning, a tendency exacerbated by the custom of docking
pit bulls' tails so that warning signals are not easily recognized. Thus
the adult victim of a pit bull attack may have had little or no opportunity
to read the warning signals that would avert an attack from any other dog.

Pit bulls are far and away the most fatal breed.

If you care to read this, read some of the deaths due to other breeds: accidental strangulation, caused elderly owner to fall which resulted in death, several breeds "involved" in attacks with other dogs (you guessed it, pit bull terriers and/or rott), rabid lab, etc.

The point is, when pitt's attack it is extremely aggressive and in many cases fatal. That is just not the case with other breeds.

The numbers arent against me either. Almost 75 million dogs and 32 deaths. I would say they are in my favor.

If there were 32 out of 100000 that is still an extremely low number.

Ranger Mom
05-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Well its not against the law to have a tiger as a pet, lion and bear I dont know about, but it as to do with their numbers and not the threat they pose. If you are scared of pits then dont get near them. If you want to pet mine, I will hold your hand while you do it Nancy.

It is here...you can't have ANY exotic animals.....that even includes a sugar glider!!!

Answer my question at the top of the page please!!:)

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
It is here...you can't have ANY exotic animals.....that even includes a sugar glider!!!

Answer my question at the top of the page please!!:)

Well I know people that have Tigers and other exotic animals as pets.

I wouldnt tell them anything because I wouldnt make that decision. The other kids parents made that decision and I respect it. I cant sway them.

Macarthur
05-20-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm not talking about 75 million dogs. I'm talking about pitts.

And yes, if you look at the statistics in detail the severity of pitt attacks is staggering.

Well its not against the law to have a tiger as a pet, lion and bear I dont know about, but it as to do with their numbers and not the threat they pose.

So you honestly don't have a problem with your neighbor having a tiger?

Now, you have dug in your heels and refuse to budge so you will agree to any rediculous thing I want to do to hold to your freedom at any cost stance.

In case you haven't noticed, our freedoms are limited and many of them rightly so.

If you are scared of pits then dont get near them. If you want to pet mine, I will hold your hand while you do it Nancy

Oh, you're such a tough guy. Is it a weird sense of machismo that you have to own a big, strong dangerous dog to be a man?

I'm sure you'll be a real tough guy if yours ever jump on a kid.

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm not talking about 75 million dogs. I'm talking about pitts.

And yes, if you look at the statistics in detail the severity of pitt attacks is staggering.

So you honestly don't have a problem with your neighbor having a tiger?

Now, you have dug in your heels and refuse to budge so you will agree to any rediculous thing I want to do to hold to your freedom at any cost stance.

In case you haven't noticed, our freedoms are limited and many of them rightly so.

Oh, you're such a tough guy. Is it a weird sense of machismo that you have to own a big, strong dangerous dog to be a man?

My dog is an extension of my family, not my ego. I use them to hunt, not to look cool. You seem to be the one with the fear issue. And no the numbers arent staggering. 32 deaths out of 75,000,000 dogs. Did you see all the zeros there? That is staggering. That is all of them. Not all of those deaths were at the jaws of a pit bull either. Get a grip with reality and forget the media hype. And most of our freedoms that are limited are ridiculous. Maybe you like living with limited freedoms and in fear, but I dont.

You don

pirate4state
05-20-2008, 12:32 PM

My name isn't Nancy, but okay! :D LOL

Ranger Mom
05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Well I know people that have Tigers and other exotic animals as pets.

I wouldnt tell them anything because I wouldnt make that decision. The other kids parents made that decision and I respect it. I cant sway them.

Oh..I know people have exotics, you said they weren't against the law...but here in Midland, they are!!!

I guess you answered my question in a round about way. I had to address the reason why kids weren't allowed at my house to my kids, because they asked me point blank!!

I chose my kids over my dog. Granted, he was just a puppy and we weren't that attached to him yet, so it wasn't that hard.

I couldn't fault my neighbors either because a kid had been attacked, unfortunately by a pit, in that area. Greenwood is full of police and fireman, so they were all happy to see me get rid of him!

DU_stud04
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
im getting a lion to protect my stuff..... you can get by a dog, but nobody messes with a lion :)

LH Panther Mom
05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
I really tried to stay out of this, and this post will most likely be a bad idea, but I'm going to say it anyway.

My son was attacked by a dog a little over 10 years ago, and no, it wasn't a pit, but looked like a shepherd/doberman mix (body and coloring of a doberman, longer hair like a shepherd). He had a huge rip, almost 1" long, about 1/2" from his eye. He had an even bigger one across the middle of his bicep, 2-3", along with numerous other bites and scratches.

Try driving 70-80 mph through LCP in close to rush hour traffic to the ER with your less than 7-year old child bleeding and crying and you might have a different outlook on things. You can keep your pits, shepherds, dobermans & rotts.....and if you care about them, you'll keep them away from here.

mustang04
05-20-2008, 08:13 PM
alot of ppl dont realize that alot of pitbulls are INBRED which SHOULD be illegal...i bet a majority of the pits in history that have "snapped on their owners" were either inbred or were abused

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
alot of ppl dont realize that alot of pitbulls are INBRED which SHOULD be illegal...i bet a majority of the pits in history that have "snapped on their owners" were either inbred or were abused

No, that is crazy talk. They are only bred to kill babies and children. They should be illegal and you should be punished for not agreeing with that line of thinking.:)

mustang04
05-20-2008, 08:21 PM

until you can prove that that the pits that have been in attacks were not either A) inbred B) abused by the owner or mistreated some other way or C) aggravated by someone intentionally trying to get them riled up..then your stats mean nothing to me...i've had pitbulls ever since i was 2 and i have them now and they are the most gentle around my nephews...they jump and wanna wrestle with me, but whenever my little nephews are around they know they are too young to jump on or be rough with

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
until you can prove that that the pits that have been in attacks were not either A) inbred B) abused by the owner or mistreated some other way or C) aggravated by someone intentionally trying to get them riled up..then your stats mean nothing to me...i've had pitbulls ever since i was 2 and i have them now and they are the most gentle around my nephews...they jump and wanna wrestle with me, but whenever my little nephews are around they know they are too young to jump on or be rough with

You're crazy:crazy:

Emerson1
05-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Cities should just ban them from neighborhoods. If you want to keep them to hunt out in the boonies, fine. The ones you hear about killing are owned by people who live in the ghetto.

mustang04
05-20-2008, 08:44 PM
You're crazy:crazy:

no...some ppl just piss me off with their ignorance

if any of you d'lowers have had a bad experience or know someone who has had one with pitbulls, you truly have my deepest sympathys...but even more...the wonderful breeds known as pitbulls have them even more...i dont think i could even describe the grief or sadness i had the days any of my pits have died, especially the one i was raised with....but its the people who have no clue to the concept that pitbulls are a VERY popular breed and many ppl are willing to inbreed them just so they can make money and they think that its no biggy...well it IS. inbred pits, like people are pretty much mentally handicapped, and yes they are strong and vicious (when pushed to that point), but i promise you...if any of yall went and got a pitbull pup RIGHT NOW that you know wasnt inbred, you raised it around kids and treated it with respect, and also allowed it to come into contact with many ppl of different physical appearances, then you might just have in your posession one of the most loyal, playful, and personable breeds of dogs on this planet....the day one of our pits snaps on any of my friends or members is the day that i will put a bullet in it's head

Ranger Mom
05-20-2008, 10:16 PM
No, that is crazy talk. They are only bred to kill babies and children. They should be illegal and you should be punished for not agreeing with that line of thinking.:)

Wow.....you are really grasping at straws now. Nowhere did I read anything like that on here!!

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 10:43 PM
Wow.....you are really grasping at straws now. Nowhere did I read anything like that on here!!

Obviously you dont know me too well.....

;) :stirpot:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Obviously you dont know me too well.....

;) :stirpot:

You totally left off the raping part. Pit bulls are notorious for committing rape.

rockdale80
05-20-2008, 11:08 PM
You totally left off the raping part. Pit bulls are notorious for committing rape.

and that is why I love mine....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-20-2008, 11:14 PM
and that is why I love mine....

Yeah, it is pretty fun to watch.