PDA

View Full Version : Did you know.....this is straight out of the UIL manual

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 09:43 AM
Im just using football as an example. If you are a fan and are sitting up in the stands and want to film your kid who is playing, according to the rules you are supposed to get written permission prior to the game from the schools involved in the game. If at any time during the game if the coach wants you to stop filming, you have to. Weird huh?

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 09:47 AM
VIDEOTAPING/FILMING

2) Videotaping/Filming by Individuals. Any individual (other than the officially designated school camera) taping or filming must have prior permission from the schools invilved in the contest and may not obstruct the view of other spectators of the contest

jockcity33
05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
not weird....without that rule some coaches would show up to scout with a video camera instead pen and paper.

sinton66
05-15-2008, 09:50 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much standard throughout the state. Still pics are ok, videos not. Coaches are forced to get videos only from other coaches that way.

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 09:50 AM
HA!

I wonder how many coaches actual enforce this rule? You better have your attorney on speed dial. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"What? I can't film Little Johnny? Listen here Coach...you can't tell ME what I can & can't do for my son!"

ROFL!

sinton66
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
HA!

I wonder how many coaches actual enforce this rule? You better have your attorney on speed dial. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

"What? I can't film Little Johnny? Listen here Coach...you can't tell ME what I can & can't do for my son!"

ROFL!

When you are on school property, you have to abide by their rules.

Johnny Utah
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Trust me, it is enforced.

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
Yeah, that's pretty much standard throughout the state. Still pics are ok, videos not. Coaches are forced to get videos only from other coaches that way. And it's pretty standard that I see at least 4 moms/dads (minimum) videotaping their sons every game. There is no way these coaches have the time to field written requests from all these parents, then get the other coach to sign off on it too all before the game? Yeah, cause they have nothing else to do the week of a game! hahaha

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Trust me, it is enforced. Dude, who gets that special job?

How much does it pay?

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 09:53 AM
HA!

ROFL!

that was my first thought. Every game I go to has a LOT of people videoing their kid and it happens more in hoops games. Could you picture every one of those people calling the AD's office to get permission! That would suck!

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Dude, who gets that special job?

How much does it pay?

ive never seen it enforced. I have never seen anyone walking around in the stands asking for their permission slips! haha

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
ive never seen it enforced. I have never seen anyone walking around in the stands asking for their permission slips! haha yeah, but you work for DISD :p :p hahahahaha

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
yeah, but you work for DISD :p :p hahahahaha
thats a great point!

3ABirdMan
05-15-2008, 10:03 AM
A friend of mine from a Beaumont AAAAA school was taping his daughter as she caught in her HS District softball game this spring from the outfield fence. The umpires stopped the game, walked out to the outfield fence, and told him to stop. He was ALMOST ejected, but once he explained who he was and what he was doing, they let him stay, as long as he stopped taping.

So it's not JUST football........ It IS all sports.

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
A friend of mine from a Beaumont AAAAA school was taping his daughter as she caught in her HS District softball game this spring from the outfield fence. The umpires stopped the game, walked out to the outfield fence, and told him to stop. He was ALMOST ejected, but once he explained who he was and what he was doing, they let him stay, as long as he stopped taping.

So it's not JUST football........ It IS all sports.
correct...thats why I said i was using football as just an example. Its ALL UIL activities!!

Texasfootball2
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Two words............................SPY GATE:foul:

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:14 AM
go up to a parent in Southlake and tell them they cant film their jimmy or joe and like Rita said earlier....within 10 minutes their attorney will be present! haha

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 10:17 AM
go up to a parent in Southlake and tell them they cant film their jimmy or joe and like Rita said earlier....within 10 minutes their attorney will be present! haha hell, their attorney probably sits nearby ;)

I just don't see how they can enforce it fairly & across the board, you know?

How funny we are talking about rules. I witnessed a "heated debate" about rules last night! hahaha

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
hell, their attorney probably sits nearby ;)

I just don't see how they can enforce it fairly & across the board, you know?

How funny we are talking about rules. I witnessed a "heated debate" about rules last night! hahaha

hell....they're probably an attorney themself! I didnt think about that.....

NastySlot
05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
HA!

ROFL!

it would be my guess that the legality of it may side with the uil...ever notice that the state title games....all sports no video cameras are allow......uil has a contract with company to make the videos of the games.

NastySlot
05-15-2008, 10:22 AM
go up to a parent in Southlake and tell them they cant film their jimmy or joe and like Rita said earlier....within 10 minutes their attorney will be present! haha

the people of southlake watch their kids...and buy the athletic dept dvd made.

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
it would be my guess that the legality of it may side with the uil...ever notice that the state title games....all sports no video cameras are allow......uil has a contract with company to make the videos of the games. oh no doubt, but that won't stop someone from filing a lawsuit.

18handicap
05-15-2008, 10:29 AM
I will tell you that I have seen it enforced. Softball and baseball are notorious for breaking this rule. I have seen and heard of at least 3 instances where the high school coach wanted to scout another playoff team and sent a parent to film it, or even in another place, the parent was sitting right next to the coach filming another team's game.

In a funny manner, we had a deal with another district school who had a parent who was all over the coach because she didn't pitch his daughter (they had a senior pitcher who was all district in front of her). Several of us caught wind of it and one night they were playing another team in our district and that coach went to the parent and asked if he was filming for his school and the parent said no. The coach told him he was violating UIL rules and demanded the tape since he didn't film the game. The parent had to give up the tape. We were rained out so I got to see this first hand.

The next game, that team played at my field. We do video our games and I had our camera set up behind home plate between the press box and the backstop. During the JV game, I noticed that my camera was moved and another one was put in it is place. I waited for the man to show up and then asked him why did he move my camera. He said that it was in his way. I asked him if he was filming for the school -- he said no. I told him to put the camera up and to move mine back. I also told him that he needed to leave his coach alone because she was using the right pitcher and his daughter would get her chance when the senior graduated. (That was my shot at him!)

I can tell a bunch of stories about things I've heard about cameras at games. As far as I'm concerned, I really don't care much, but if I suspect something going on other than the parent just filming so they can watch their own kid, then I will question that person. If they are filming for their own kids, then it is fine with me.

NastySlot
05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
oh no doubt, but that won't stop someone from filing a lawsuit.

you got that right.....remember a few years ago a houston parent was going to sue the high school coach cause his kid didn't get an athletic scholarship.......people will always find something.

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
you got that right.....remember a few years ago a houston parent was going to sue the high school coach cause his kid didn't get an athletic scholarship.......people will always find something.
we also have parents and kids with a false sense of reality...

Rocket Dad
05-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I have seen this enforced several times. One would think that filming your own child would not be a big deal, but there are so many low down cheaters in sports that the U.I.L. made this policy years ago.