PDA

View Full Version : Great article on Lance Berkman...

g$$
05-15-2008, 01:33 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/5777955.html

**As most know Berkman is off to a great start (hit 14th HR last night in win), leading the league or very near top in many offensive categories. Playing some great 1B too. Really no surprise if you've followed his career, but his #s so far are pretty sick. Nursing a groin so may DH some in Arlington this weekend. Anyway, nice piece on an all-around good guy, Christian , & family man. Pride of New Braunfels & Rice...radio guys mentioned are John Granato & Lance Zierlein (formerly mornings on 610 AM & now on 1560 AM in Houston). Keep it up Big Puma!

etbu
05-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Thanks for sharing that.

Old Tiger
05-15-2008, 01:52 AM
who?

g$$
05-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Sure, he's one of my favorites. Just a normal guy & so unpretentious. Perfect demeanor for the everyday grind of baseball. Guy can flat rake & pretty darn good 1B too. Both Texas & A&M barely recruited him...he still razzes both schools about that too. Rice & Wayne Graham found a gem for sure.

Check out his CAREER #s mentioned in article...very underappreciated nationally by media. I hope he can keep it up for the next 4-5 years & see where his final #s end up. He has a no trade clause in his contract too. He won't be leaving Houston!

g$$
05-15-2008, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue
who?

All-Star baseball player, so you're out. :)

3&2count
05-15-2008, 08:42 AM
What ever you want to call him the guy can flat out hit. He has one of the ugliest right handed swings I have ever seen in a MLB player, but it works and he hits rockets.

I would put Roy O in his category of taking care of business and being humble and down to earth.

Maroon87
05-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Great article. He was a bit grumpy and out of sorts last year but he's back in a big way now.

And as far as his nickname (Big Puma) I still prefer to call him Fat Elvis.:D

g$$
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 3&2count
What ever you want to call him the guy can flat out hit. He has one of the ugliest right handed swings I have ever seen in a MLB player, but it works and he hits rockets.

I would put Roy O in his category of taking care of business and being humble and down to earth.

Agreed, funny thing is Berkman is a natural right-handed hitter (& he says more power) but his best stroke is definitely from left side. That happens sometimes, played with a guy in hs & college that way. Lots of pop righty but better hitter lefty. Berkman's righty swing is more of a hack where his lefty swing is smooth & fluid. He gets great extension on both - he could extended in a phone booth & generates that back spin which gives the ball tremendous carry.

Agreed on Roy O. as well. Small town guy from tiny Weir, MS & gonna stay that way. Good stuff.

kepdawg
05-15-2008, 04:36 PM
It'd be nice if he was playing 1B in Arlington.

Old Tiger
05-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by g$$
All-Star baseball player, so you're out. :) what team does he play for?

g$$
05-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Great article. He was a bit grumpy and out of sorts last year but he's back in a big way now.

And as far as his nickname (Big Puma) I still prefer to call him Fat Elvis.:D

I think a lot of things contributed to that. Team was not very good, his wrist was bothering him more than he let on, had some calls go against him (more than norm), & some of his best friends were gone or about to be gone (Pettitte, Burke, Ensberg, etc.). He melted down in Colorado as you remember.

In a "down year", he still hit .278 w/ high OB% & slugging, 30+ HRs & 100+ RBIs. Most guys would love those #s, but he has set the bar pretty darn high.

2 more RBIs today in what looks to be a loss & 4-game split @ SF...defense has not been good (Loretta playing SS) & Sampson has been spotty as well. Down 7-3 in 7th...on to Arlington next to complete trip.

g$$
05-15-2008, 04:44 PM
what team does he play for?

Rockdale, you haven't seen him? ;)

Or maybe it's a high school in New Braunfels...

Old Tiger
05-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Rockdale, you haven't seen him? ;)

Or maybe it's a high school in New Braunfels... :confused:

g$$
05-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Or maybe it's a high school in New Braunfels...

...then All-American @ Rice & MLB All-Star w/ Astros.

Something like that!

Old Tiger
05-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
...then All-American @ Rice & MLB All-Star w/ Astros.

Something like that! oh astros....probably why i've never heard of em

g$$
05-15-2008, 04:50 PM
oh astros....probably why i've never heard of em

...or maybe baseball in general? ;)

Buy a t-shirt & support him maybe.