PDA

View Full Version : FB Dominates 2 LA Schools. Is this where UIL is taking Texas?

fred grunden
01-24-2003, 06:20 PM
In the Jan 24th edition of the Beaumont Enterprise there was an article which I will restate here for your comments. The dateline is New Orleans.
" LA High School Athletic Assoc. commissioner Tommy Henry told a group of New Orleans area principals that a few member schools have become sports camps, and it's time to do something about it. You have some schools running sports camps in your association, Henry said. I feel very strongly it's time you do something or you're just doomed. We have a sport or two thats just doomed to be dominated by a few achools because your system is allowing it. It's not working right now.
Two schools with Class 2A enrollment play up in classification, John Curtis and Evangel. Curtis plays in Class 4A and has won seven of the
past 10 state football championships, including the 2002 crown. Evangel plays in Class 5A and has won three of the past four state football championships, including the past two."

Well 3A Downlow folks, is this what we are to expect when private schools and church schools compete in UIL sports? Does anyone know if these are private schools? Sure sounds like it when they are competing way above their enrollment classification. I know Evangel has beaten some TX high schools but I didn't know they were 2A playing in the 5A bracket.

<small>[ January 25, 2003, 11:08 AM: Message edited by: fred grunden ]</small>

VWG
01-25-2003, 07:01 AM
That's interesting. I knew that Evangel in Shreveport was a football power, and I knew that "recruiting" was the name of the game at Evangel.
It's a shame that they can't police these schools or make them adhere to stringent regulations against these practices.

big daddy russ
01-25-2003, 02:01 PM
I know Evangel is a private school. I'm not 100% sure, but I'd be willing to bet that Curtis is, too.

Brahma73
01-25-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm wondering what effect the voucher system will have if it ever becomes a reality in Texas. Everyone assumes parents will want to send their kids to the best ACADEMIC schools, but I've always been curious if ATHLETICS might be just as big a lure!?!?!? Just food for thought, but this could be a real travesty... :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
01-26-2003, 10:52 AM
I think Beaumont already has one of these schools...it just hasn't performed up to expectations yet. It's called Ozen. And anybody that thinks it's not a magnet school for athletes needs to look seriously at student transfers. :rolleyes:

Old Cardinal
01-26-2003, 06:19 PM
To JasperDog 94: You hit it right on the head-Ozen, was specifically designed as a charter school-like situation to attempt to dominate athletics...It has not worked out as yet. Also, Memorial in Port Arthur, was a merger sold on the idea of developing a dominate sporting oriented school. It remains to be seen if they can pull it off!....For years Daingerfield and White Oak use to offer oilfield type jobs to folks that had children with good football talent. They would offer enough influx to boister their program to near the top of the enrollment classification that they were in, at the time. This type of activity has gone on for years across Texas, at other schools, to a lesser extent.

<small>[ January 26, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Jimbotex40
01-28-2003, 01:48 AM
lol, how could anyone not be 100% positive that evnagel high is private.

evangelism is the act of spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. an evangel is someone who does this act.

this would definitely not be even considered for a public school name.

FBmania
01-28-2003, 02:42 AM
Both of the above mentioned schools are private schools in LA. That has been a sore spot for years for pulic HS coaches.Because everyone knows they recruit! I witnessed it 1st hand in the home town I grew up in LA. If UIL lets more and more of these schools in TX in the public system it will happen here.

spiveyrat
01-28-2003, 12:52 PM
Old Card: I thought Memorial was put together for financial reasons.

Jimbotex: I think you mean "evangelist". I don't know if it's a private school or not, but it could be that the school is just taking a form of the word Evangeline which coincides with several things in Lousiana including Evangeline parish (county), and also Evangeline Downs, a horse racetrack.

pakrat
01-28-2003, 08:19 PM
And there was a famous poem written by Longfellow that was called "Evangeline", and the Evangeline Oak is in LA. Evangeline was the name of the heroine in the poem, and she is still looking for poor old Gabriel all through heaven, I guess. A lot of things in LA have a "take-off" on the Evangeline name. But it is reasonable to think Evangel is a private school with a religious sponsor. I guess Evangel could be someone's last name.