PDA

View Full Version : Girls softball question?

Bull's-eye
05-14-2008, 07:12 PM
Just started watching Team USA play a game against the University of Tennessee, the Lady Vols are wearing pants. I can't ever recall seeing girls wear nothing but shorts and the high socks. Is there a reason that girls usually wear shorts and not pants?

kepdawg
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I see girls wearing pants all the time.

nobogey72
05-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I see girls wearing pants all the time.

My wife has 2 pair.

3afan
05-14-2008, 08:19 PM
most HS teams wear pants ...

PutMeInCoach
05-14-2008, 09:27 PM
It's been about 50/50 on pants and shorts. However, more HS teams are going pants.

3ABirdMan
05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Last year, my team (Orange CRUSH) wore:
- Orange jersey over green shorts
- Green jersey over orange shorts

This year, we have 3 different uniforms:
- White top over black PANTS
- Orange top over grey PANTS
- Green top over white PANTS

SO MANY fields now have field conditioner on them that when the girls slide, they come back to dugout with strawberries from ankles to butts, and it's NO FUN - for them OR me!

Antec
05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Depends on the weather

Early season games in the weather can be cold sometimes

When East Bernard played Rosebud-Lott last week in Smithville- R Lott was wearing black pants

Temps were still in high 80s when game started -

NastySlot
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Depends on the weather

Early season games in the weather can be cold sometimes

When East Bernard played Rosebud-Lott last week in Smithville- R Lott was wearing black pants

Temps were still in high 80s when game started -

were you at this game i detoured to smithville on my way to college station friday night....it was in the high 80's at game time but man that humidity....that east bernard pitcher is pretty good.

18handicap
05-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Birdman is right. Softball has come full circle in the 20 years that I've been coaching. We started with pants and went to shorts and now all my players want to wear again are pants. The field conditioners are the main reason why.

hookandladder
05-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
Last year, my team (Orange CRUSH) wore:
- Orange jersey over green shorts
- Green jersey over orange shorts

This year, we have 3 different uniforms:
- White top over black PANTS
- Orange top over grey PANTS
- Green top over white PANTS

SO MANY fields now have field conditioner on them that when the girls slide, they come back to dugout with strawberries from ankles to butts, and it's NO FUN - for them OR me!

Teach them to slide correctly and they will not have as many strawberries.

18handicap
05-15-2008, 07:24 AM
We do teach them correctly, but sometimes these still happen. With the pants, the changes are reduced. My girls feel more confident sliding in pants. We use them now in high school and mine all play in pants on their select teams.

Some places, the girls are more comfortable in shorts. It all depends on them.

3&2count
05-15-2008, 08:29 AM
You can slide correctly with shorts and still tear yourself up.

I have seen girls play in low cut socks, no sliding pads and no sliding shorts. Man, you are asking for some serious strawberries if you play on less than desired field conditions.

Reds fan
05-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by 3&2count
You can slide correctly with shorts and still tear yourself up.

I have seen girls play in low cut socks, no sliding pads and no sliding shorts. Man, you are asking for some serious strawberries if you play on less than desired field conditions.

Sliding correctly involves contact with the field and the field conditioners will tear you up. Most of the girls now just think the pants look better also, the trend has been growing for the past several years.

RedWhiteBlue
05-15-2008, 08:39 AM
I think the girls should be able to try both and decide on the one that makes their butt look smaller. Have you seen some of those girls on ESPN? Someone should tell them that white is not very flattering!!! :rolleyes:

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
I think the girls should be able to try both and decide on the one that makes their butt look smaller. Have you seen some of those girls on ESPN? Someone should tell them that white is not very flattering!!! :rolleyes:

Please tell me you are joking!

This is the first year our girls have had pants & they love them!

Reds fan
05-15-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue

:D Some do appear to have lost their vanity:D

3ABirdMan
05-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
Teach them to slide correctly and they will not have as many strawberries.

Not trying to be rude - You obviously know how to slide, or you wouldn't have made the comment, BUT -

Run out in the parking lot of wherever you are, and take a running slide on the concrete in your shorts, and let me know how it turns out!

Some of the field conditioners being used now are more like small pebbles and rocks, and they are VERY abrasive! Put them over a good clay base, and it's just about like sliding on a sidewalk.

Pants offer a lot more protection than shorts.