PDA

View Full Version : Gonzales vs. Sinton broadcast

Gontex
05-14-2008, 05:00 PM
KCTI in Gonzales normally broadcasts live all games in which the Apaches are participating. The games are broadcast over the air and also on the station's website. www.KCTI1450.com. That's not going to happen this week because the Sinton I. S. D. refuses to let this happen unless the radio station pays some sort of homage (money) to the Sinton school district. Thanks Sinton.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-14-2008, 05:06 PM
want me to put some video on my post of the games also, my pc phone is able to do that :D so it feels more like your there.

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Gontex
KCTI in Gonzales normally broadcasts live all games in which the Apaches are participating. The games are broadcast over the air and also on the station's website. www.KCTI1450.com. That's not going to happen this week because the Sinton I. S. D. refuses to let this happen unless the radio station pays some sort of homage (money) to the Sinton school district. Thanks Sinton.

All I have ever been charged is a basic fee to broadcast which is common, not a Sinton thing..usually like 30 buxs that helps the ISD pay for the phone line and such

Where are the games being played?

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 05:20 PM
wait a minute..games are not in Sinton, so Sinton ISD cannot charge your school, I am thinking something is getting mixed up in the info

Now the stadium might be charging, but Sinton cannot charge another school's radio coverage at a nuetral stadium

SintonFan_inAustin
05-14-2008, 05:25 PM
can short cuts of video be broadcast on here? havent done it, because i sure there is some rules of doing that.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
05-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Sinton requires radio to pay $100 or $150 for broadcast, maybe more now, because they feel that is what they may loose in ticket sales. I voiced my oppinion on that when I worked there and was basically told to shut up. I thought it was ignorant then and still do now. There are a lot of people in the community that can't get out and deserve to be able to hear the game on the radio. This is the reason Sinton lost there football radio broadcasts. This should be about the kids and fans not the bottom line. Both schools have to sign off on the radio agreement so that is the reason for no radio.

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by S_Tex_3A_Fan
Sinton requires radio to pay $100 or $150 for broadcast, maybe more now, because they feel that is what they may loose in ticket sales. I voiced my oppinion on that when I worked there and was basically told to shut up. I thought it was ignorant then and still do now. There are a lot of people in the community that can't get out and deserve to be able to hear the game on the radio. This is the reason Sinton lost there football radio broadcasts. This should be about the kids and fans not the bottom line. Both schools have to sign off on the radio agreement so that is the reason for no radio.

A school cannot charge another school's radio broadcast a fee to broadcast..The radio station and the schools have aggrements, not the station and the opponent

Now a school can charge a broadcast fee at home, but they have no control over an opponents broadcast

One school can sign off on a station being their flagship, does not take both schools if one has exclusive rights with a station

S_Tex_3A_Fan
05-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Well they do and it is stupid. Not exactly sure how it works, but they get away with it. WEvery football playoff game I was invloved in negotiations with we went through that.

sinfan75
05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
I always thought local business's paying for commercial space allowed for broadcasting of high school sporting events. Radio stations don't pay schools or anybody else to broadcast events I don't believe. Didn't think anybody could tell a radio station what they could broadcast either except the FCC. As long as they have enough business's paying for ad space they should be able to broadcast the game.

Antec
05-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Radio station could pay the fee

they sell add spots and make money off of them

KULP AM 1390 in El Campo broadcasts all sports in Wharton County.

Mone of their teams or schools they broadcast charges

they are doing East Bernard-Yorktown softball series Thursday-Friday at Shiner Starplex

www.kulpradio.com

KULM FM 98.3 in Columbus broadcasts games and following rice and Columbus

they mainly do football but wil do others who make the playoffs

sinfan75
05-14-2008, 06:02 PM
well that's weird I always thought games were broadcast strictly through local business's paying for ad space. didn't know school districts got paid.

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 06:13 PM
some schools charge a fee to broadcast in their stadium

again I would like to know how Sinton can force a radio station for an opposing team to pay Sinton at a nuetral field..something about that is wrong and I have NEVER heard of it

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
well that's weird I always thought games were broadcast strictly through local business's paying for ad space. didn't know school districts got paid.

most schools do not charge a station..some who are in a competitive market might

Gontex
05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
All of Gonzales' football games are broadcast by the local radio station. There have been some instances where a school would not allow a broadcast from their stadium. Lockhart pulled it a couple of times at one time. With basketball, baseball and softball, only the home games are broadcast until the playoffs begin. When the playoffs begin, the radio station tries to broadcast them all. I'm not sure what the deal is either, but that is what the station is telling us and I don't see any reason why they would lie about it. Apparently both teams have to agree to the broadcast for it to happen.

piratebg
05-14-2008, 10:34 PM

I always wondered what happened to their radio broadcasts. Work keeps me from going to a lot of games but I was always near a radio. That sucks.

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 12:47 AM
Weird. Falfurrias softball broadcast game 2 from inside our press box IN Sinton. Why would that be any different? No problems & those Falfurrias broadcasters were VERY cool and did a great job!

S_Tex_3A_Fan
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I always wondered what happened to their radio broadcasts. Work keeps me from going to a lot of games but I was always near a radio. That sucks.

Every one in Sinton needs to call Central Office and gripe about this is wasn't right when I was there and still isn't.

S_Tex_3A_Fan
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Weird. Falfurrias softball broadcast game 2 from inside our press box IN Sinton. Why would that be any different? No problems & those Falfurrias broadcasters were VERY cool and did a great job!

they paid to be there.

Txbroadcaster
05-15-2008, 07:15 AM
I am still not understanding this

Sinton ISD can charge their town;s station to broadcast their game, they have every right

they can charge anyone to use their press box

But they CANNOT charge an opponent's radio station at a nuetral site

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
they paid to be there. well, they paid to get in the gate. lol. beyond that I wouldn't know. sounds to me like you still have some issues with the admin. you should work it out directly with them and not on here. :rolleyes:

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Sinton ISD can charge their town;s station to broadcast their game, they have every right

But they CANNOT charge an opponent's radio station at a nuetral site
Terry is correct. If they are at a neutral site, the stadium can charge for use of phone lines and can charge any fee they want to use the press box but if its at a neutral site, Sinton can do nothing about it. They cannot demand to be paid. I guarantee that doesnt happen.

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Terry....have you ever had to use a phone line at Pennington? Good gawd....they are expensive!

pirate4state
05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Terry is correct. If they are at a neutral site, the stadium can charge for use of phone lines and can charge any fee they want to use the press box but if its at a neutral site, Sinton can do nothing about it. They cannot demand to be paid. I guarantee that doesnt happen.

Well, we could demand all we wanted and if someone is stupid enough to listen, then how is that our fault? :D

I don't know what's going on, nor do I really care, but this is now comical to me.

Is this the best Gonzales can do to rile up their fans? "Come out & support us against Sinton who didn't let us broadcast the game!" :bigcry: LOL

sinton66
05-15-2008, 09:42 AM

But they CANNOT charge an opponent's radio station at a neutral site

I'm not 100% positive, but I think both schools have to agree to ALL terms when using a neutral site. Most of the time, disagreements are settled by coin toss.

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I'm not 100% positive, but I think both schools have to agree to ALL terms when using a neutral site. Most of the time, disagreements are settled by coin toss.

I have never heard of Media coverage being a part of a playoff agreement when at a Neutral site...other than who is the flagship station, etc..

ive never heard of charges coming from anyone but the owner of the stadium

sinfan75
05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
maybe the stadium wants the station to recognize(pay homage) to SISD and the station won't do it. maybe thats the deal. ya think?

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
maybe the stadium wants the station to recognize(pay homage) to SISD and the station won't do it. maybe thats the deal. ya think?

I wouldnt think so but you never know.

Phil C
05-15-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't know but I do know in a few years ago when the Sinton vs Cuero game was canceled because of a hurricane that Sinton wouldn't refund the tickets purchased while I understand that in Cuero it was no problem and were willing to refund. It wasn't bad for me because I was only out one ticket but some people had purchased as many as 10 to 14 tickets and that was a lot of money they were out of. And the strange thing was when it was announced at a home game later on I was the only one that booed and I am not ashamed.
I was raised in Freer and we owned the Drive In Theatre and things usually went smooth but once in a while we had to cancel out. We refunded the folks their money or gave them passes to use again as they wished. Bottom line even though it wasn't our fault we didn't deliver and we made up for it. Sinton ISD kept the money. These are the facts.

Txbroadcaster
05-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Terry....have you ever had to use a phone line at Pennington? Good gawd....they are expensive!

They dont cost now..but I also used internet there with no cost

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
They dont cost now..but I also used internet there with no cost
are you serious? We paid like $150 to do the Forney-Everman game there in 01

Txbroadcaster
05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by sinton66

flagship stations are not negotiable..If both teams have a station then the olny thing decided is who gets home booth and space, NOT who does the game

I have delt with UIL, staduims, and schools and I have NEVER had to get approval from both schools..You only have to have ONE school saying your doing the games for you that is it

AP Panther Fan
05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I am probably out of line here, but I really don't see what the big deal is. It is at a neutral site, it IS the playoffs, the station does make a profit (obviously) from the advertisers. Why not kick some back to both schools to help with travel expenses etc....? (as long as it is done equally and isn't an unreasonable amount)...

I'm sure one or more of you are about to tell me.

:D

kaorder1999
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I am probably out of line here, but I really don't see what the big deal is. It is at a neutral site, it IS the playoffs, the station does make a profit (obviously) from the advertisers. Why not kick some back to both schools to help with travel expenses etc....? (as long as it is done equally and isn't an unreasonable amount)...

Ive been a part of some high school broadcasts that DID not make money and pretty much broke even or lost a few bucks.

AP Panther Fan
05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Ive been a part of some high school broadcasts that DID not make money and pretty much broke even or lost a few bucks.

I'm sure that happens as well. I am on the other side and have been a sponsor of various broadcasts. I know there is alot of goodwill demonstrated by the broadcasters.

Seems to me you could just approach it differently and get businesses from both communities to sponsor and maybe even increase the cost a bit to cover a small payment to both schools...might require some good neutral broadcasting, but hey, that's what most people prefer to hear anyway.

Txbroadcaster
05-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

most dont make alot of profit, you do it as a service, not to make a ton of money