PDA

View Full Version : Government and Sports

Rabbit'93
05-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Does it bother anyone else that the government (sen. Spector) still wants to investigate the Pats?

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Considering the billions of dollars that the NFL gives the government in tax dollars every year, I'm actually alright with it on at least some level.

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Professional sports enjoy exemption from certain laws and rules, tax payers build their staduims and tax payers in essence pay their salaries, I have no problem with Congress wanting to make sure the sport is fair

bullfrog_alumni_02
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
if congress gets rid of the BCS and forces college football to install a playoff system, then yes i support it. if they dont, then i dont care either way.

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2008, 03:07 PM
I was watching Mike & Mike on ESPN this morning. They mentioned
that some the players on the Niner's teams of the 80's were
paid under the table to prevent reaching the salary cap limit
and enable them to keep their dynasty intact.

How were they never investigated. Those players obviously
didn't pay taxes on that money. You'd think the IRS would of
been all over that.

Phil C
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I was watching Mike & Mike on ESPN this morning. They mentioned
that some the players on the Niner's teams of the 80's were
paid under the table to prevent reaching the salary cap limit
and enable them to keep their dynasty intact.

How were they never investigated. Those players obviously
didn't pay taxes on that money. You'd think the IRS would of
been all over that.

That wasn't a problem because the NFL didn't have a salary cap until the 90s when they wanted to destroy the Dallas dynasty with the pocket book rather than on the field of play.

Rabbit'93
05-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Considering the billions of dollars that the NFL gives the government in tax dollars every year, I'm actually alright with it on at least some level. If it had to do with money I can see your point. This is a rules violation in question that was put to bed by the commish. Now some senator who wants to make a name for himself wants to waste tax dollars on an investigation. This reeks of the steroid scandal.

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
If it had to do with money I can see your point. This is a rules violation in question that was put to bed by the commish. Now some senator who wants to make a name for himself wants to waste tax dollars on an investigation. This reeks of the steroid scandal.

Specter does not need to make a name for himself, he is well known..and it is about money..People pay money to watch games not decided by cheating

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
That wasn't a problem because the NFL didn't have a salary cap until the 90s when they wanted to destroy the Dallas dynasty with the pocket book rather than on the field of play.

uhh Phil..Jerry Jones was one of the owners pushing hard for the salary cap

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Did I mention Mike & Mike were idiots?:doh: :D

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Did I mention Mike & Mike were idiots?:doh: :D

so is this your new strategy? Quote other people on matters so that you get to call them idiots when people tell you you're wrong instead of you looking like the idiot? ;) :D

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
so is this your new strategy? Quote other people on matters so that you get to call them idiots when people tell you you're wrong instead of you looking like the idiot? ;) :D

There's never been any question as to how big of an idiot I am.:mad:

Wait...I don't think that came out right.:doh:

On a side note I trust ther statement in your sig will be changed
by the time I get to work tomorrow.:evillol:

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM
There's never been any question as to how big of an idiot I am.:mad:

Wait...I don't think that came out right.:doh:

On a side note I trust your statement in your sig will be change
by the time I get to work tomorrow.:evillol:

:confused:

It says "Future"

It says nothing about this year!! :evillol::helpme:

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2008, 04:01 PM
:confused:

It says "Future"

It says nothing about this year!! :evillol::helpme:

The year 201?....:thinking: :devil:

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 04:04 PM
201?....:thinking: :devil:

:thinking: Sure! 201 sounds like the number of victories they'll have over the next three seasons...sounds like a good number to me!

about 51 wins during the regular season plus 16 wins in the postseason a year...that gets them right at 201 in the next three years.

rockdale80
05-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Does it bother anyone else that the government (sen. Spector) still wants to investigate the Pats?

If there were less pressing issues then I dont have a problem with it, unfortunately I think there are other things that require more attention.

JasperDog94
05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Professional sports enjoy exemption from certain laws and rules, tax payers build their staduims and tax payers in essence pay their salaries, I have no problem with Congress wanting to make sure the sport is fair :iagree:

Necks_Fan
05-14-2008, 04:58 PM
I think there are ALOT more important things for the Government to investigate than the validity of Barry Bonds' Hr total and the Pats spying or whatever.

I don't think he should have ever been put in court, much less lying.

That's like taking all the models and sticking 'em in jail because they got a boob job and they're not natural. I mean come on.

Don't you think with all the problems the US has, that Specter can't find something more important to worry about?

It bothers me alot too.

Actual criminals like Michael Vick don't bother me as much, but Steroids, and spying.......... Let them deal with it internally.

JasperDog94
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
I think there are ALOT more important things for the Government to investigate than the validity of Barry Bonds' Hr total.

I don't think he should have ever been put in court, much less lying.

That's like taking all the models and sticking 'em in jail because they got a boob job and they're not natural. I mean come on.

Don't you think with all the problems the US has, that Specter can't find something more important to worry about?

It bothers me alot too. If it weren't for congress, baseball would still be in denial about the steroid problem it had.

Necks_Fan
05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
If it weren't for congress, baseball would still be in denial about the steroid problem it had. Baseball is still in denial. All I'm saying is that there are MUCH MORE important issues than steroids and spying.

rockdale80
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Baseball is still in denial. All I'm saying is that there are MUCH MORE important issues than steroids and spying.

Agree 100%

LH Panther Mom
05-15-2008, 06:27 AM

Boob jobs are legal, so it's nothing like that. :doh:

JasperDog94
05-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Baseball is still in denial. All I'm saying is that there are MUCH MORE important issues than steroids and spying. I know what you're saying, BUT both baseball and football are immune to certain anti-trust laws as well as numerous others. Just like the government can reject a merger of two companies if they deem it a "monopoly" or "in the best interest of the industry", so they too can look into sports (multi-billion dollar industries) to make sure that they aren't breaking any laws.

I understand where you are coming from, but look at it this way. If congress had not gotten involved in the baseball problem and it got to the point where it destroyed the game, then billions of dollars (possibly trillions when you consider the economic impact on local communities) is lost. If the NFL let cheating go, it too could destroy the credibility of the league and that cannot be allowed to take place.

rockdale80
05-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I know what you're saying, BUT both baseball and football are immune to certain anti-trust laws as well as numerous others. Just like the government can reject a merger of two companies if they deem it a "monopoly" or "in the best interest of the industry", so they too can look into sports (multi-billion dollar industries) to make sure that they aren't breaking any laws.

I understand where you are coming from, but look at it this way. If congress had not gotten involved in the baseball problem and it got to the point where it destroyed the game, then billions of dollars (possibly trillions when you consider the economic impact on local communities) is lost. If the NFL let cheating go, it too could destroy the credibility of the league and that cannot be allowed to take place.

I think most pro sports leagues have lost much of their credibility anyway. College sports are way more exciting to watch. ;)