PDA

View Full Version : A Junior High parent question

RedWhiteBlue
05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Do you know if your Junior High ranks your 8th graders? I know when I was in school (a while ago). They ranked us just like they did when we graduated from High School. My 8th grader wants to know where he is as far as rank and they won't tell us. He made National Junior Honor Society, which means he is in the top 10% and they gave us his GPA, but they say him knowing his rank is not necessary. He wants to know before he goes in to HS so he will have an idea of how many are ahead of him. Is this unreasonable and do any of you know what your schools do or do you think it even matters to anyone but my kid?

BreckTxLonghorn
05-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
Do you know if your Junior High ranks your 8th graders? I know when I was in school (a while ago). They ranked us just like they did when we graduated from High School. My 8th grader wants to know where he is as far as rank and they won't tell us. He made National Junior Honor Society, which means he is in the top 10% and they gave us his GPA, but they say him knowing his rank is not necessary. He wants to know before he goes in to HS so he will have an idea of how many are ahead of him. Is this unreasonable and do any of you know what your schools do or do you think it even matters to anyone but my kid?

Its pretty dumb that they're so adamant about not giving. I never knew my rank, though, just the vicinity.

However, I thought they didn't officially rank for graduation placement until High School started? So really, its a moot point.

RedWhiteBlue
05-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Its pretty dumb that they're so adamant about not giving. I never knew my rank, though, just the vicinity.

However, I thought they didn't officially rank for graduation placement until High School started? So really, its a moot point.
I think he knows what kind of grades he has made and what classes he has been in and he would just like to know how he has done against his classmates (for future reference).
It is a moot point, but I can see why he would like to know. I just can't come up with a really solid reason why they wouldn't tell him.

txkmom
05-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I teach in a 5th - 8th grade middle school, and we honor the "Top Ten" every year at 8th grade graduation, but beyond those ten, we have never announced rankings or used them for any other purpose. It's not a standard around this area to rank until 2nd semester of 9th grade. I understand it matters to you and your child, but many educators feel it would place undue stress really early on those who worry about it and the standards are simply not in place in many districts to make rankings valid when there are so many educational variables at the lower levels.

Texasfootball2
05-14-2008, 02:47 PM
I think he knows what kind of grades he has made and what classes he has been in and he would just like to know how he has done against his classmates (for future reference).
It is a moot point, but I can see why he would like to know. I just can't come up with a really solid reason why they wouldn't tell him.

Probably some stupid law like HIPPA or FIRPA or EATMEA! or STICKITA or.........well you get the picture. Gotta be some law against , there seems to be a law against everything.

wildstangs
05-14-2008, 02:52 PM
8th grade teacher here. We dont do any kind of rankings. They save that stuff for high school.

kaorder1999
05-14-2008, 03:01 PM
every JH i've ever been associated with (coaching/attending) has ranked their students and gave a Valedictorian and Salutitorian award!

Ranger Mom
05-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
8th grade teacher here. We dont do any kind of rankings. They save that stuff for high school.

I don't think we do it here either!!

nobogey72
05-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't think we do it here either!!

When I was in the 8th grade, we used to rank the 8th grade girls. Is that what you mean?:confused: :confused: :cool:

garciap77
05-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
When I was in the 8th grade, we used to rank the 8th grade girls. Is that what you mean?:confused: :confused: :cool:

:fnypost:

Necks_Fan
05-14-2008, 04:54 PM
It is a moot point, but I can see why he would like to know. I just can't come up with a really solid reason why they wouldn't tell him. The ONLY reason they won't do it is because there is alot of math involved. The counselors at our school have to do it out by hand and I can only imagine how bad that has to suck doing it for 400+ kids. They don't think 8th grade rank is important enough for their time I guess.

He could always just compare GPA's with the other kids. I don't know what's so difficult about that.

At the NJHS meetings they can just compare, rather than putting a big burden on the school admins.

RedWhiteBlue
05-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks for everybody's advice and comments (except for Nobogey!!)
And Necks- I did tell him that if he wanted to know so bad to go around and ask the other NJHS members what their GPA was and rank them himself (I think there is like 16 or so).
I think his competitive nature must come from his dad's side of the family............ because I know he couldn't have gotten any of it from me:D

ronwx5x
05-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
They don't think 8th grade rank is important enough for their time I guess.

I realize this partial quote is out of context, but do you really think teachers have lots of time and just need something to fill it?
Come on and be fair, they are already overworked. Computerize it, maybe. By hand, no way.

RedWhiteBlue
05-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I realize this partial quote is out of context, but do you really think teachers have lots of time and just need something to fill it?
Come on and be fair, they are already overworked. Computerize it, maybe. By hand, no way.
I KNOW teachers do not have the time and I'm not asking them to make any extra time. They have the information already if they have the GPA's calculated to figure out who is eligible for the top 10%. Assistant Principal and Counselors handle all this anyway.....
I guess it could be another difference in a smaller school versus a larger school. I grew up and am more familiar with smaller 3a- on down schools and this is (I guess) a larger school that does things differently.
I guess where I come from they have an 8th grade graduation, because that may be the only time anybody gets to 'gajeate'.:eek:

Old Tiger
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
Do you know if your Junior High ranks your 8th graders? I know when I was in school (a while ago). They ranked us just like they did when we graduated from High School. My 8th grader wants to know where he is as far as rank and they won't tell us. He made National Junior Honor Society, which means he is in the top 10% and they gave us his GPA, but they say him knowing his rank is not necessary. He wants to know before he goes in to HS so he will have an idea of how many are ahead of him. Is this unreasonable and do any of you know what your schools do or do you think it even matters to anyone but my kid? Just cause he's in NJHS does not necasarily mean he's top 10%. Just means he has a GPA of 3.0 or greater.

ronwx5x
05-14-2008, 05:40 PM
I KNOW teachers do not have the time and I'm not asking them to make any extra time. They have the information already if they have the GPA's calculated to figure out who is eligible for the top 10%. Assistant Principal and Counselors handle all this anyway.....
I guess it could be another difference in a smaller school versus a larger school. I grew up and am more familiar with smaller 3a- on down schools and this is (I guess) a larger school that does things differently.
I guess where I come from they have an 8th grade graduation, because that may be the only time anybody gets to 'gajeate'.:eek:
It may even have to do with how much people like to file suit even for unintentional errors. No calculations, no mistakes! They maY avoid quite a few battles by not publishing results.

Emerson1
05-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
Just cause he's in NJHS does not necasarily mean he's top 10%. Just means he has a GPA of 3.0 or greater.
And in 8th grade it's not that hard to make it. Most everyone takes the same classes. Do they even offer AP in middle school?

Necks_Fan
05-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
And in 8th grade it's not that hard to make it. Most everyone takes the same classes. Do they even offer AP in middle school? It's called Pre-Ap.

But yea.

zebrablue2
05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72

Just sick you are...:fnypost:...:stirpot:

LH Panther Mom
05-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Our Junior High doesn't do rankings, nor do we have a Valedictorian/Salutitorian. I believe they announce the two highest, but as equals. And yes, Emerson, there are several Pre-AP classes offered here in JH.

RWB, he "could" compare GPA's with his classmates, but if there is weight added for any Pre-AP that would factor into ranking, so it may/may not be correct.