PDA

View Full Version : Sad week for women's sports...

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 11:07 AM
First, Annika Sorenstam announces her impending retirement, now the world's #1 woman tennis player just quitting on the spot! Sad times indeed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3395373

sahen
05-14-2008, 11:09 AM
darn...i was hoping you were gonna say they repealed Title IX for college athletics....

Phil C
05-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
First, Annika Sorenstam announces her impending retirement, now the world's #1 woman tennis player just quitting on the spot! Sad times indeed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/news/story?id=3395373

ALAS! ALAS! SURELY THERE WILL BE MORE HAPPIER DAYS THAN THIS!

:(

NastySlot
05-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by sahen
darn...i was hoping you were gonna say they repealed Title IX for college athletics....

whats wrong with title ix?

eagles_victory
05-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
whats wrong with title ix? everything

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
everything

that's a rather broad statement.

eagles_victory
05-14-2008, 11:52 AM
that's a rather broad statement. The majority of womans sports that they have dont even make any money but it cost a very large amount of money to keep the program going. At SFA we cant even build a baseball field for the baseball team they have to play at a local stadium with no lights because all the revenue is going to places like womens esqutrian sp? and womens soccer. The schools loses millions a year on these sports but has to keep them because of the Title 9 laws.

Sweetwater Red
05-14-2008, 11:54 AM
that's a rather broad statement.

You said BROAD when talking about title IX.:evillol: :D

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The majority of womans sports that they have dont even make any money but it cost a very large amount of money to keep the program going. At SFA we cant even build a baseball field for the baseball team they have to play at a local stadium with no lights because all the revenue is going to places like womens esqutrian sp? and womens soccer. The schools loses millions a year on these sports but has to keep them because of the Title 9 laws.

so, if women don't make money, they shouldn't be allowed to compete?

sahen
05-14-2008, 11:56 AM
whats wrong with title ix?

see eagles_victory post....that happens at every school all over the country...colleges cannot add more men's sports because football has almost 100 kids on scholarship and women's sports have no equivalent...thus anytime a college adds a sport it has to be a women's sport and something like equestrian that no one watches and costs a bunch of money, if they refuse to add the sport the people taht want it just sue under title IX and get it...its a well-meaning law when it was passed but has been misconstrued for college athletics at least....

eagles_victory
05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
so, if women don't make money, they shouldn't be allowed to compete? why punish other sports because you have to spend money on sports that dont make any money. Why should the equistrian team have the finest of everything and baseball kids have to miss most of their classes because they have to play day games because the stadium has no lights. Why should the team who creates revenue have to give it away to another sport? Its like the robin hood law of college athletics.

sahen
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
so, if women don't make money, they shouldn't be allowed to compete?

it is not the fact that the women dont make money..it is the fact that SFA has to spend their money on their women's atheltics to make it even and cannot even build their baseball team a new field because they are having to start up new programs for women's sports...the baseball team is making money that they are not allowed to spend...the only way they will build a stadium is if a donor steps up and ponies the cash up, the school has to allocate the money equally...

eppy 12
05-14-2008, 12:03 PM
eppy loves ms sorenstam:clap:

kepdawg
05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
If only revenue generating sports get played there won't be many sports getting played!

crzyjournalist03
05-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by sahen
it is not the fact that the women dont make money..it is the fact that SFA has to spend their money on their women's atheltics to make it even and cannot even build their baseball team a new field because they are having to start up new programs for women's sports...the baseball team is making money that they are not allowed to spend...the only way they will build a stadium is if a donor steps up and ponies the cash up, the school has to allocate the money equally...

perhaps the school could afford a baseball stadium if they didn't offer so many football scholarships, or maybe they could hold off on stadium improvements, or maybe they could keep the team's football uniforms for another year or two, or maybe the football team doesn't need a new training room...

Not that I totally agree with Title IX, but I'm just saying...you can't just blame women for the lack of attention given to other collegiate men's sports. If SFA REALLY wanted baseball, they could find a way to do it.

eagles_victory
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
perhaps the school could afford a baseball stadium if they didn't offer so many football scholarships, or maybe they could hold off on stadium improvements, or maybe they could keep the team's football uniforms for another year or two, or maybe the football team doesn't need a new training room...

Not that I totally agree with Title IX, but I'm just saying...you can't just blame women for the lack of attention given to other collegiate men's sports. If SFA REALLY wanted baseball, they could find a way to do it. Bo Pilgram stepped up as a donor to take a big part of it but they still couldnt get enough from other sources to build it.

NastySlot
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
the problem with title ix is that it has been around since the mid 70's and colleges were too slow at making changes to put women's and men's sports on an equal footing...so it hit college athletic depts hard when they tried to impleament things at one time................so you guys are pretty much saying we shouldn't have womens athletics in college...................and i say that by not having them you lose the one side of college athletics that is still pure and clean...played for the right reasons.......seldom do you hear about cheating.....leaving school early to turn pro......big time shoe deals for the coaches....its not like the softball coach makes as much as the football coach........sfa can't get a field with lights....give me a break it's not because they have women sports.....almost every high school and little league has lights on their fields....sfa is dragging their ^$$

NastySlot
05-14-2008, 03:18 PM
the problem with title ix is that it has been around since the mid 70's and colleges were too slow at making changes to put women's and men's sports on an equal footing...so it hit college athletic depts hard when they tried to impleament things at one time................so you guys are pretty much saying we shouldn't have womens athletics in college...................and i say that by not having them you lose the one side of college athletics that is still pure and clean...played for the right reasons.......seldom do you hear about cheating.....leaving school early to turn pro......big time shoe deals for the coaches....its not like the softball coach makes as much as the football coach........sfa can't get a field with lights....give me a break it's not because they have women sports.....almost every high school and little league has lights on their fields....sfa is dragging their ^$$

in all my rambling i forgot to add one more thing i'd bet if you looked at the graduation rates for male and female sports the women might be doing ok......what ya'll think?

sahen
05-14-2008, 04:14 PM
i am not saying that women should not play sports...the fact is title IX keeps schools from having more men's sports because football teams require a ton of scholarship athletes and women's sports has no equal to that...

for example sports at Baylor:

Men:
Baseball
Basketball
Cross Country
Football
Golf
Tennis
Track

Women:
Basketball
Cross Country
Equestrian
Golf
Soccer
Softball
Tennis
Track
Volleyball

Now Baylor has 9 women's sports and 7 men's sports, and they still are not offically Title IX compliant, if I remember right we will have to add 2 more women's sports over the next 5 to 10 years or somethign like that....Once we become Title IX compliant you can't add a men's sport and become uncompliant again, in order to add another men's sport at Baylor, like most colleges in the U.S., you would have to actually add 3 women's sports at this point (or once we become compliant we would have to add a women's sport w/ equal scholarship opportunities for each men's sport)...If you wanted to add a sport that has significant amount of scholarships you would ahve to add even more women's sports...that to me isnt right, just to have football at a school now you would have to add 4 or 5 women's teams because of the scholarships football requires....

the problem title IX creates is that it becomes impossible to add more men's sports w/o bankrupting your athletic dept. to become title IX compliant, additionally it makes funding new facilities without donors almost impossible because athletic depts. lose millions of dollars on women's sports every year that they would not have to lose if it weren't for title IX...that said if only sports that turned a profit were being played then colleges would only have football, men's basketball, and a handful of schools playing baseball/hockey....

i guess its a personal preference but i dont like Title IX's interpretation for college athletics, however if they ever did away with it for college atheltics (highly unlikely) they would need to make a better rule for colleges to follow (which is even more unlikely) so in the end we are stuck w/ it...

Reds fan
05-14-2008, 04:46 PM
in all my rambling i forgot to add one more thing i'd bet if you looked at the graduation rates for male and female sports the women might be doing ok......what ya'll think?

I think this may be a great point. Female athletes probably help pull up the overall graduation rates for all scholarship athletes.

eppy 12
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
maria is now the new #1 in tennis:clap:

Sweetwater Red
05-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by eppy 12
maria is now the new #1 in tennis:clap:

OMG! You posted something without using a picture and if there
was ever a reason to post a picture it would have been now.:doh: :doh: :doh:

eppy 12
05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
OMG! You posted something without using a picture and if there
was ever a reason to post a picture it would have been now.:doh: :doh: :doh: SORRY, Maria likes fruit!
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l239/eppy12/maria_sharapova_deep_throat_banana.jpg:clap: :clap:

jason
05-15-2008, 12:58 PM
ROFLMAO - thats great...

eppy 12
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by jason
ROFLMAO - thats great... for now...:(