PDA

View Full Version : Updates Region I

bearcat1
10-07-2002, 03:10 PM
Region I page with new top10 is done , as is the Team of the Week(s) and also weekly picks page. The district pgaes will be updated just as soon as I can locate all the scores I need to do that. Probably tues. night or wednesday. Thanks everyone
bc

heck
10-07-2002, 03:41 PM
My Region 1 Standings.

1. Everman
2. Kennedale
3. Greenwood
4. Graham/Sweetwater
6. Wylie
7. Bridgeport
8. Merkel
9. Decatur
10.Perryton

I think these are the best teams, but admittedly I haven't seen them all play. Some of these teams have played brutal non-district games while some haven't. Merkel has played some close games against some marginal teams, but they have won. Perryton has beat Pampa and lost to Post, go figure. Sweetwater beats Wylie who beats Graham who beats Sweetwater. No 2-3A teams made it and only one from 1-3A, so it seems that district 3 & 4 could make a good run in the playoffs. Anyway, for what its worth there it is.

vet93
10-07-2002, 06:11 PM
Heck...looks pretty good. The only thing that I might do different is move up decatur and Perryton above Merkel and then replace Merkel with Ballinger. In the head to head matchup Ballinger outplayed the Badgers, especially in the first half...not to take anything away from coach flowers and the Badgers.

heck:
My Region 1 Standings.

1. Everman
2. Kennedale
3. Greenwood
4. Graham/Sweetwater
6. Wylie
7. Bridgeport
8. Merkel
9. Decatur
10.Perryton

I think these are the best teams, but admittedly I haven't seen them all play. Some of these teams have played brutal non-district games while some haven't. Merkel has played some close games against some marginal teams, but they have won. Perryton has beat Pampa and lost to Post, go figure. Sweetwater beats Wylie who beats Graham who beats Sweetwater. No 2-3A teams made it and only one from 1-3A, so it seems that district 3 & 4 could make a good run in the playoffs. Anyway, for what its worth there it is.

bearcat1
10-07-2002, 07:39 PM
Not that this means anything one way or another but, in reference to your comments about Perryton losing to Post....Post is a damn good football team.
bc

Da Mules
10-07-2002, 09:08 PM
No teams from 2-3A for good reason...this is the weakest overall I have seen this district in 10 years. Hell, putting Lubbock Roosevelt back in would raise the standards!!! They might possibly have won this district this year!! As it stands, poor ol Roosevelt got dropped to 2A and that was no favor; they landed in a district with Post, Idalou, Shallowater, Tahoka, and New Deal. They will be lucky to make the playoffs. Anyway, you get no argument from 2-3A this year...graduation tore up Muleshoe, Littlefield beats Lamesa 1 week and gets pounded by Idalou the next, Lubbock Cooper seems just as inconsistent, Brownfield shows future potential but isn't ready for prime time yet, and Slaton & Dimmitt programs are still stalled out. The district championship is up for grabs between Muleshoe, Littlefield, Cooper, and Brownfield....if any of them can get it together.

vet93
10-07-2002, 09:43 PM
BC...Post is a good football team however, they are not a dominant football team. Before beating Perryton they lost to Merkel 35 to 7 who had just been beat by Ballinger by two touchdowns and were behind by as many as four touchdowns. I don't want to get into the who beat who game because that always seems to get everybody in trouble. Perryton losing to Post was every much as bit of a shocker as Everman losing to Kennedale. The only difference is that Kennedale is a very solid 3A team and Post is a very solid 2A team. For Perryton to have the kind of playoff run that they did last year they will have to play much more consistent. Right now they would have a very hard time beating Greenwood or Sweetwater out west.

bearcat1:
Not that this means anything one way or another but, in reference to your comments about Perryton losing to Post....Post is a damn good football team.
bc

heck
10-08-2002, 08:00 AM
Yep, Post is good but they are still 2-A. I don't want to make light of a lower classificaiton but Merkel beat them pretty bad.

Ballinger just seems real inconsistent. I think they are 3-2 and have played 2 2-A schools and have been beaten by Greenwood 27-6 (no shame there) and Breckenridge (a game (I thought Ballinger would win easily). They just scraped by Bangs too. Thats why they didn't make my top ten. Maybe their running back Posey was hurt in some of those games and he would make a big difference.

What about Breckenridge? They seem to be a lot better than most thought. Also, Borger may be a sleeper up in the north country. They have played some tough 4-A teams and I don't think their district will be all that tough. Should be a good game between Borger and Perryton. I think graduation hurt Canyon a lot.

vet93
10-08-2002, 09:10 AM
Heck...I agree that the bearcats have been pretty inconsistent. The win over Bangs without Posey was probably their biggest win other than the win over a good Merkel team. Bangs would likely beat every 3A team in the area with the exception of Wylie. They beat Early 41 to 0. I think that they are a stronger 2a opponent than Post. Breckenridge is much better than last year even without Huitt. They are well coached, tackle well and get the most out of their team. They will have a good shot at the playoffs. If they can beat Iowa Park they will do it. In Ballinger's game with Breck it was one of those nights like Perryton had with Post. We were driving to go up two touchdowns with Brecks only score coming on a fumbled interception in the endzone (We intercepted a deep pass and tried to run it out...our player panicked and tried to lateral to another player and fumbled...Breck Recovered and scored.)...We score from about the 15 and it is called back for a holding penality. We fail to convert on a long 4th down. Breck mounts a very good drive in the last 4 minutes and scores to tie. We lose in O.T. Breck played a great game...our failure to put teams away after we go up on them will be our undoing.

heck
10-08-2002, 10:27 AM
You know the tough thing about ranking these teams (and its just for the fun of it for me btw) is you never know the details of a win/loss. I know Perryton had it bagged and let it get away at Post. I know that Sweetwater lost to Greenwood because of a bad punt snap (other things too). So breaks seem to always determine the outcome of a game. Talent can take a back seat on many occasions. Thats what makes this game so much fun.

I know several of the boys from Ballinger and they seem to be real solid. I expect they will put it all together before they start district. BTW, they will cake-walk thru district with the exception of Wylie. Well that is if the breaks don't bite 'em.

vet93
10-08-2002, 12:56 PM
If Ballinger plays like they did against Merkel in the first half, then they will be plenty tough for anyone. They have the potential to both run and pass the ball well. If they play the way they did against Breck in the 4th qtr then both Brady and Clyde could beat Ballinger and Wylie would crush them.

heck:

I know several of the boys from Ballinger and they seem to be real solid. I expect they will put it all together before they start district. BTW, they will cake-walk thru district with the exception of Wylie. Well that is if the breaks don't bite 'em.

tors2002
10-09-2002, 11:34 PM
bearcat1:
bcThey were rated #2 in the state at the time they got beat by Merkel and then were moved out of the Top 10 for 2A for losing to a strong 3A. Doesn't make sense. Then they turn around and beat Perryton. Who Knows!

<small>[ October 10, 2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: tors2002 ]</small>

tors2002
10-09-2002, 11:42 PM
ALso if everyone could have read the details on the Post / Perryton Game then views would be different. The coach for Perryton was worried about all the cramps that his players were getting due to the unusual heat on that Sat. Afternoon this late in the year. His players were cramping and had been on a 6-7 hour bus ride to play a 2A non-district opponent. Perryton did have it won but the coach did not want to jeopardize his season for a win that didn't matter except to the fans and critics. Just a little insight on the game.

vet93
10-10-2002, 09:57 AM
I understand what you are saying Tors but Post was playing in the same stadium and under the same conditions that Perryton was playing in. I am sure that they had to contend with some of the same things and probably didn't have as many kids to choose from. I agree that Perryton is probably a much better team than they showed but it was still a game that revealed some weaknesses that Perryton was not expected to have.

tors2002:
ALso if everyone could have read the details on the Post / Perryton Game then views would be different. The coach for Perryton was worried about all the cramps that his players were getting due to the unusual heat on that Sat. Afternoon this late in the year. His players were cramping and had been on a 6-7 hour bus ride to play a 2A non-district opponent. Perryton did have it won but the coach did not want to jeopardize his season for a win that didn't matter except to the fans and critics. Just a little insight on the game.

tors2002
10-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Vet, I have to disagree a little bit. They were playing in weather conditions that Post is used to...very hot. Perryton usually is playing in snow this time of year. Plus the 6-7 hour bus ride had to take it's toll on them. Home Field is an advantage for some reason. I do not understand why the Perryton coach wanted to make such a long trip anyway. I think it took plenty of guts that the Perryton Coach saw what wa happening to his players and did not risk the season for a win that did not matter.