PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone here believe that....

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 02:28 PM
spanking a child is child abuse??

I'm not talking about beating the crap out of them....but a good hard pop on the butt, with hand, belt, switch, or whatever.

Just curious!!!

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I'm not talking about beating the crap out of them....but a good hard pop on the butt, with hand, belt, switch, or whatever.

Just curious!!!

NO, definitley not child abuse. Lack of this is whats wrong with kids today. Society is just flat Soft!!

CheerMom
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
NO, definitley not child abuse. Lack of this is whats wrong with kids today. Society is just flat Soft!!

Ditto!!

Old Tiger
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
kids need ass whippins....

injuredinmelee
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I believe the children are our are future
Teach them well and let them lead the way
Show them all the beauty they possess inside
Give them a sense of pride to make it easier
Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be
Everybody searching for a hero
People need someone to look up to
I never found anyone to fulfill my needs
A lonely place to be
So I learned to depend on me

but when they are bad.. beat that butt

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 02:41 PM

Just curious!!!

This is a societal problem. Society has decided it is a problem, therfore it is.

Truth be known, the real problem is people who go overboard, not those who swat a rear every now and then. My Dad beat me with a belt, stick, telephone cable or whatever was handy. That was abuse. My Mother swatted me with a belt when I needed it That was not abuse. Problem is, who decides what is abuse?

cshscougar08
05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
No it's called discipline, something that everyone needs. Kids don't know how to have self-discipline, so parents have to be willing to give it to them. I can't stand spoiled kids whose parents are lax and do not punish their kids when they do wrong.

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
This is a societal problem. Society has decided it is a problem, therfore it is.

Truth be known, the real problem is people who go overboard, not those who swat a rear every now and then. My Dad beat me with a belt, stick, telephone cable or whatever was handy. That was abuse. My Mother swatted me with a belt when I needed it That was not abuse. Problem is, who decides what is abuse?

Do you think you turned out alright. Do you have respect for authority and are an overall rounded good and productive citizen?

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by cshscougar08
No it's called discipline, something that everyone needs. Kids don't know how to have self-discipline, so parents have to be willing to give it to them. I can't stand spoiled kids whose parents are lax and do not punish their kids when they do wrong.

I'm confused here. You can't stand the kids or can't stand the parents?

Discipline yes, abuse no.

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
From a very wise book that I read:

"He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

Proverbs 13:24

Regardless of what your personal religious views are, I've never found the Bible to lead me astray when it tells me how to live my life.

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Do you think you turned out alright. Do you have respect for authority and are an overall rounded good and productive citizen?

If I do and am, it is the result of a mother who loved me, not a father who beat me. If I did to my children what my father did to me, I should go to jail.

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03

"He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him."

Regardless of what your personal religious views are, I've never found the Bible to lead me astray when it tells me how to live my life.

Thank You! Craz I'm glad somebody hit the nail on the head. The man up stairs say hit them on the buttocks!

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
If I do and am, it is the result of a mother who loved me, not a father who beat me. If I did to my children what my father did to me, I should go to jail.

As far as I'm concerned your just part of the rest of society that wants to psyco analyze everything and make a Whats Legal and Whats not Legal case out of everything.

And to answer your response. You turned out alright because you recieved both love and stern parental discipline, and you should be thankful to them for it.

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 02:52 PM

Don't just read the "rod" part. It says very specifically, "careful" also. My point is that too many parents have a sense they can do anything they feel is justified to their children.

I'm all for discipline if used correctly. My children turned out wonderful and I never spanked them. That does not mean I was always right, probably just fortunate.

3afan
05-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I had to spank Jason this weekend ... he wouldn't mind his mom

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
I had to spank Jason this weekend ... he wouldn't mind his mom

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Did he act like he likes it???

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
As far as I'm concerned your just part of the rest of society that wants to psyco analyze everything and make a Whats Legal and Whats not Legal case out of everything.

And to answer your response. You turned out alright because you recieved both love and stern parental discipline, and you should be thankful to them for it.

I'm simply amazed you have completely "psyco analyzed me" so correctly me and have never met me. As I have stated, discipline is necessary and should be applied judiciously. It's the people who are right no matter what that astound me.

There is no one correct answer to the original question asked in this thread. If you use corporal punishment and your children grow up to be well adapted, you must have been correct! If your parents beat you and you still grow up well adapted, that must have been right also.

Txbroadcaster
05-13-2008, 02:57 PM

sorry but when a spanking tunrs into a beating it is not just discipline

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
The way my dad "spanked" us would probably be considered "child abuse" today. I never thought of it like that though....I sure didn't suffer any for it!

Heck....my granddaddy owned a service station right on the interstate and one day us grandkids just kept getting into trouble, so he hung us by our wrists in the garage, so everyone that got gas, or passed by on the interstate could see us hanging there.....that wouldn't fly today either!!

My granddaughter, who is barely a year old, has already felt the sting of hand upside her leg!!

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:01 PM
I'm simply amazed you have completely "psyco analyzed me" so correctly me and have never met me. As I have stated, discipline is necessary and should be applied judiciously. It's the people who are right no matter what that astound me.

There is no one correct answer to the original question asked in this thread. If you use corporal punishment and your children grow up to be well adapted, you must have been correct! If your parents beat you and you still grow up well adapted, that must have been right also.

The actual question stated I wasn't talking about beating......just a good ole fashion spanking

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
sorry but when a spanking tunrs into a beating it is not just discipline

I will agree with you, whole heartly. But in todays world if you inflict any pain on a child they call it abuse. Belts, switches, and even a phone cord are perfectly exceptable if used on there ass properly. I have a feeling that his father was the "only" parent that truely punished him, and in his eyes it was abuse and not discipline. The "stick", I would totally disagree with, but my gut feeling is it was a switch, and those items are very effective. Trust me, I had my ass whipped with a swith hundreds of times and I do not look back on my father with anything but respect.

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
The actual question stated I wasn't talking about beating......just a good ole fashion spanking

I never thought or said you were talking about a beating. I just said that it needs to be a reasoned response to the problem.

I'm not even against corporal punishment. I believe it is used more than any of us think. Parents just need to think before striking. If we do, we may be more reasonable than our unreasonable children! :doh: :doh:

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I never thought or said you were talking about a beating. I just said that it needs to be a reasoned response to the problem.

I'm not even against corporal punishment. I believe it is used more than any of us think. Parents just need to think before striking. If we do, we may be more reasonable than our unreasonable children! :doh: :doh:

I understand....but that was why I put that in there, to keep this from turning into exactly what it turned in to!!!:

Texasfootball2
The way my dad "spanked" us would probably be considered "child abuse" today. I never thought of it like that though....I sure didn't suffer any for it!

Heck....my granddaddy owned a service station right on the interstate and one day us grandkids just kept getting into trouble, so he hung us by our wrists in the garage, so everyone that got gas, or passed by on the interstate could see us hanging there.....that wouldn't fly today either!!

My granddaughter, who is barely a year old, has already felt the sting of hand upside her leg!!

Don't take this wrong Ranger Mom, but I'm sitting here laughing my butt off about your Granddad. We are about the same age and I can totally relate to the world you grew up in. :D

ronwx5x
I will agree with you, whole heartly. But in todays world if you inflict any pain on a child they call it abuse. Belts, switches, and even a phone cord are perfectly exceptable if used on there ass properly. I have a feeling that his father was the "only" parent that truely punished him, and in his eyes it was abuse and not discipline. The "stick", I would totally disagree with, but my gut feeling is it was a switch, and those items are very effective. Trust me, I had my ass whipped with a swith hundreds of times and I do not look back on my father with anything but respect.

I wish I felt the same about mine. If it had been discipline, it would have been understandable. Unfortunately, it was just anger.

3ABirdMan
05-13-2008, 03:10 PM

The cool part of this is............ :thinking:

My youngest is now 16. She playes Select softball, and I coach her team. We spend ALOT of time together, driving to and from practices and tournaments, which leaves plenty of opportunities to talk. She is now at an age where she sees kids / peers at school who don't know how to behave, or who act up and are obnoxious just to get attention, and it irritates her to no end. On more than one occasion, she has told me she is thankful for how she was raised!

And my wife and I did NOT spare the rod........... :D

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 03:12 PM

Oh, and it was a "cable", not a cord. Draws blood. And the switch was a 1 X 2. The belt was the buckle end.

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Don't take this wrong Ranger Mom, but I'm sitting here laughing my butt off about your Granddad. We are about the same age and I can totally relate to the world you grew up in. :D

He put the fear of God in us, that's for sure...(and he was a Baptist preacher too).....but I never thought what he did was abusive in the least.

I'm kinda scared to even say how he punished my mom and aunts and uncles:eek: :eek:

BILLYFRED0000
05-13-2008, 03:16 PM
This is not complicated.

All children learn at different levels.
However there are only 3 levels of response in discipline. And discipline is the art of creating a disciple.

For mistakes such as carelessness at the table i.e. knocking over a cup, a gentle word and demonstration of where to place the cup next time is fine.
This is teaching part of discipline.

For willful disobedience it depends on the age of and nature of the child as to what extent your discipline will be required. However if it is in direct contravention of your authority, pick your battles and win them.

And last is deadly or dangerous situations in which they either willfully or not disobey and put their life at risk. This requires instant response that is both painful and explicit or lose the child.

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
This is not complicated.

However there are only 3 levels of response in discipline. And discipline is the art of creating a disciple.

For mistakes such as carelessness at the table i.e. knocking over a cup, a gentle word and demonstration of where to place the cup next time is fine.

For willful disobedience it depends on the age of and nature of the child as to what extent your discipliine will be required. However if it is in direct contravention of your authority, pick your battles and win them.

And last is deadly situations in which they either willfully or not disobey and put their life at risk. This requires instant response that is both painful and explicit or lose the child.

Yeah, what HE said!

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I wish I felt the same about mine. If it had been discipline, it would have been understandable. Unfortunately, it was just anger.

Don't take me wrong ronwx5x. I'm am in now way for abuse. I teach in an alternative school and I witness some of the most rediculas things you could imagine on a daily basis when it comes to what were talking about. As you can tell I'm totally frustrated with just how soft our society has gotten and that everything is turned into a legal battle. I feel fortunate to have grown up in the 60's and 70's when parents were allowed to be parents and were unafriad to do so. When you could leave your keys in your car and not worry. When is was rare to find someone who actually locked there house. When a law suit was a "HUGE ORDEAL", and not just an everyday event. When a child could leave there house and go play all day long without any contact with there parents (no cell phones) and as long as you were home for supper it was no big deal. When you either rode your bike, walked, or rode the bus to school, (in other words you were a total wus if your parents dropped you off or picked you up). If you were really abuse, I'm sorry, and I don't mind apologizing.

:foul: :foul: :foul: :D

Man! do I feel better now:)

vet93
05-13-2008, 03:23 PM
I agree with the biblical mandate for using the rod of discipline but I think that some parameters have to be adhered to for the spanking to be effective and for your children to know that you love them.

1. Never spank in anger
2. Always state the offense and why they are recieving a spanking and make sure that they understand why.
3. Spank only to the point that they feel the sting in the appropriate place on the buttocks. If you spank and they don't cry, then you are probably not producing enough "sting"
4. After the spanking always hug them, love on them and let them know that you still love them. During that time you can reiterate the offense and why you had to do what you did even though it breaks your heart to spank.
5. Remind them that if the behavior continues that there will be consequences and that you will follow through.
6. We will also often have the kids recite Ephesians 6:1 or Exodus 20:12 if the problem was a lack of obedience or respect.

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Don't take me wrong ronwx5x. I'm am in now way for abuse. I teach in an alternative school and I witness some of the most rediculas things you could imagine on a daily basis when it comes to what were talking about. As you can tell I'm totally frustrated with just how soft our society has gotten and that everything is turned into a legal battle. I feel fortunate to have grown up in the 60's and 70's when parents were allowed to be parents and were unafriad to do so. When you could leave your keys in your car and not worry. When is was rare to find someone who actually locked there house. When a law suit was a "HUGE ORDEAL", and not just an everyday event. When a child could leave there house and go play all day long without any contact with there parents (no cell phones) and as long as you were home for supper it was no big deal. When you either rode your bike, walked, or rode the bus to school, (in other words you were a total wus if your parents dropped you off or picked you up). If you were really abuse, I'm sorry, and I don't mind apologizing.

:foul: :foul: :foul: :D

Man! do I feel better now:)

Ah, I guess I got over it. I grew up even earlier, and parents as well as teachers could rule as they pleased. I don't like our society sometimes either. I don't have the answers, but I know it's not a simple yes or no.

I appreciate and respect our teachers. If anything, they are not allowed to discipline unruly students who don't get it at home either. But rednecks who think administering a beating is how you teach your children need a godd lawsuit to bring them back to reality sometimes.

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by vet93
I agree with the biblical mandate for using the rod of discipline but I think that some parameters have to be adhered to for the spanking to be effective and for your children to know that you love them.

1. Never spank in anger
2. Always state the offense and why they are recieving a spanking and make sure that they understand why.
3. Spank only to the point that they feel the sting in the appropriate place on the buttocks. If you spank and they don't cry, then you are probably not producing enough "sting"
4. After the spanking always hug them, love on them and let them know that you still love them. During that time you can reiterate the offense and why you had to do what you did even though it breaks your heart to spank.
5. Remind them that if the behavior continues that there will be consequences and that you will follow through.
6. We will also often have the kids recite Ephesians 6:1 or Exodus 20:12 if the problem was a lack of obedience or respect.

Very well put:clap:

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by vet93

1. Never spank in anger

Don't forget Ephesians 6:4 also.

:inlove: :inlove:

BILLYFRED0000
05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
I have always found the never spank in anger a little unreasonable. Anger is a valid emotion that should be used. It is what you do with your anger. Does it control you or do you control it? I use my anger and allow my children to see in instances when they disrespect their mother for example. I would not let one of you guys dis my wife and my kids are not going to either. And I also believe that levels of discipline are completely different for each child. My Daughter just needs the threat of reprisal where as my son does not listen well till the belt goes thwack on occasions. My grandson does not like me thumping his ear and that seems to work for him.

cshscougar08
05-13-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm confused here. You can't stand the kids or can't stand the parents?

Can't stand the kids cause they don't know how to act. Can't stand the parents because they are the reason their kids don't know how to act. So the appropriate response to that question would be yes. Lol.

pirate4state
05-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I was spanked with a tree switch exactly two times in my life! So, the first time didn't really take, but you can bet your life it sunk in the 2nd time! :eek: It was intended as two swats to my butt, but like any child I danced around :D and I got it just on the back of my thigh (OUCH!) :bigcry: Even though it was MY fault for trying to avoid the butt whooping my dad apologized up & down b/c it broke my skin. :eek: We used to talk & laugh about it and neither one of us could remember what I did to warrant the butt whoopin, but we both remembered the "after". haha. My point is, I never harbored any ill will towards my father, LATER in my life. When I was a teenager I "hated" my dad for being so strict, but I know NOW that he was right most of the times and he is the main reason I can not stand to see other parents let their children argue/talk back to them in public. If we even THOUGHT about disrespecting him or my mother, we'd first get "the look" and if for some stupid reason that didn't register, we got a hand to the ass. Heck, I'm just glad he never slapped us! :D

So, I have no problem with a parent today wanting to spank their kids if they so chose. When a parent is out of control with anger & will just keep wailing on a kid, then that's abuse and has no place in our society. All my OPINION. You can think I'm wrong, but guess what? I don't care! It is MY opinion.

RedWhiteBlue
05-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
The cool part of this is............ :thinking:

My youngest is now 16. She playes Select softball, and I coach her team. We spend ALOT of time together, driving to and from practices and tournaments, which leaves plenty of opportunities to talk. She is now at an age where she sees kids / peers at school who don't know how to behave, or who act up and are obnoxious just to get attention, and it irritates her to no end. On more than one occasion, she has told me she is thankful for how she was raised!

And my wife and I did NOT spare the rod........... :D

I can totally relate to this. My 2 oldest kids are the same way. They can't believe the way other kids are allowed to act and the things they are able to get by their parents. As for my 7 year old... well, he is still in the spanking once a week whether he needs it or not stage ;) .
Actually, I don't remember having to be spanked much at all, because I was raised in a household where when an adult gave you the 'look' it struck a fear in you and you automatically quit doing whatever it was that got you in trouble for in the first place. Then when I got older and decided to test the 'look'. My mom graduated to a wire hair brush (remember those?), fly swatter or whatever she happened to have in her sweet little hand at the time.
So, nope, IMO, spankings are not abuse.

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I am curious as to who posted yes, that it was child abuse......but I have my doubts they will fess us!!:D

garciap77
05-13-2008, 03:51 PM

:clap:

vet93
05-13-2008, 03:55 PM
That goes without saying!!! Good verse to remember for us parents.

Don't forget Ephesians 6:4 also.

:inlove: :inlove:

vet93
05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
I understand your point...I think that the anger that we are all talking about is the kind that leads to abuse...And for some...controlling any type of anger is difficult...if a person has that type of temper...it may be best if they use a different form of punishment.

I have always found the never spank in anger a little unreasonable. Anger is a valid emotion that should be used. It is what you do with your anger. Does it control you or do you control it? I use my anger and allow my children to see in instances when they disrespect their mother for example. I would not let one of you guys dis my wife and my kids are not going to either. And I also believe that levels of discipline are completely different for each child. My Daughter just needs the threat of reprisal where as my son does not listen well till the belt goes thwack on occasions. My grandson does not like me thumping his ear and that seems to work for him.

ronwx5x
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
I am curious as to who posted yes, that it was child abuse......but I have my doubts they will fess us!!:D

By the way, it wasn't me.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 04:13 PM
By the way, it wasn't me.:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I didn't think so.....I figured you either didn't vote or voted "no"....and then gave your opinion!:)

nobogey72
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Ass whoopins were a dime a dozen at my house growing up. I used to have to act like it hurt. My brother hated them, and they had no effect on me. However, my dad made me miss a baseball game one time when I was about 11 and that had a huge effect on me. I have always thought that there are better ways of discipline than spanking (although I spanked all my kids). Especially in these days of cell phones, and computers, and stuff like that. You take a teenage girls cell phone away for a week or two and that's serious. I'll never forget having to miss that baseball game, and I swore that I would never throw rocks at that old lady down the street ever again. So it must have worked.

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Spankings only worked up til the pre-teen years! When they begged for a spanking instead of grounding, you know it's time to up the ante!!

Being stuck in a house with a grounded teenager HAS to be harder on the parent than on the child!!!!

nobogey72
05-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Spankings only worked up til the pre-teen years! When they begged for a spanking instead of grounding, you know it's time to up the ante!!

Being stuck in a house with a grounded teenager HAS to be harder on the parent than on the child!!!!

Very true. They have a way of making you pay.

Nursebetty
05-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I believe in a good butt whipping myself. There are so many times I see kids at places that I want to just give them a good whoopin' to straighten them out. But, of course, I can't. Sad enough, some of their parents won't and that's what's wrong with them. My kids get spanked if theydeserve it. Nothing wrong with a good spanking if no marks are left......gives them something to think about! I bet if more kids got good spankings, we wouldn't have some of the problems we have in today's society. I can remember only ONE time my daddy whipped me, and guess what?.....I didn't need any more whippings from him because the one and only one I got left a good impression on me! I am thankful for the loving discipline that I received from my parents!

Necks_Fan
05-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I think it depends on the child.

Some children need a physical discipline while others may need a talking to.

My grandpa would set me down and give me a talk when I did wrong and it seemed to work. Some kids the ole talk goes in one ear and out their other. Those kinds of kids need a spanking.

There is a fine line between discipline and going over-board and everyone knows it. Those who act as if a simple butt spanking is abusive, should be piled with all the other morons we got.

3ABirdMan
05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
This is not complicated.

For willful disobedience it depends on the age of and nature of the child as to what extent your discipline will be required. However if it is in direct contravention of your authority, pick your battles and win them.

And last is deadly or dangerous situations in which they either willfully or not disobey and put their life at risk. This requires instant response that is both painful and explicit or lose the child.

As a parent, this was always my WORST fear! I tried to raise my kids so that when we walked through the Wal-Mart parking lot, and I saw a car backing out and said "Stop", THEY STOPPED! NO discussion, not "stop when you want to", but stop NOW - Because I said so! And I always tried to explain it to them this way - One day, I will need you to stop, and I won't have time to tell you why or ask twice before you get run over!

Thank GOD for His grace and mercy - I have 2 really good kids who WILL stop, at 19 and 16, and I've never had a bit of trouble from either of them.

Trashman
05-13-2008, 09:24 PM
When my girls were young 1-3, the wife and I swatted their legs. 4-8 we used a paddle that was very light but would sting. After 8 we used diffrent tricks. What does a young girl value most in life from 8-18....privacy. If they got out of hand I simply took their bedroom door off the hinges and stored it in the garage until they corrected their mistakes. Collecting cell phones works as well as taking their cars. If you take their car be prepared to deliver them to school, practice, work etc. I do not remove them from school team sports as that would punished the other team members for no reason. The three oldest girls are Airforce, Army and the third just finished her freshman year of college. They are all well adjusted adults and know how to act in society. They have often told their mother and I that the discipline they received at home helpes them as adults. Time will tell how well we do with the last two.:thinking:

nobogey72
05-14-2008, 05:57 AM
I went to a Little League game last night to watch a friend's son play. One particular kid was having a rough night in the field at 2nd base, 2 or 3 costly errors and his dad was the coach. This kid came up to bat with bases loaded late in the game and had a chance to tie the game, but he struck out looking. When he came back to the dugout, his dad had completely turned his back to him and was just staring out in the outfield shaking his head. Then when the inning was over the kid was on his way out to 2nd base and crossed paths with his dad who was coming back to the dugout from the 3rd base dugout and he didn't even make eye contact with his son. IMO that was worse "child abuse" than any reasonable spanking. I think lots of "child abuse" comes in lots of different forms other than "physical". This particular dad didn't touch his kid, or say one word to him, but he might as well have gotten on the loud speaker and said, "Son, I'm so disappointed in you that I don't even want to look at you." If I was guessing, this dad probably couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle when he was playing.:mad: :mad: :mad:

garciap77
05-14-2008, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I went to a Little League game last night to watch a friend's son play. One particular kid was having a rough night in the field at 2nd base, 2 or 3 costly errors and his dad was the coach. This kid came up to bat with bases loaded late in the game and had a chance to tie the game, but he struck out looking. When he came back to the dugout, his dad had completely turned his back to him and was just staring out in the outfield shaking his head. Then when the inning was over the kid was on his way out to 2nd base and crossed paths with his dad who was coming back to the dugout from the 3rd base dugout and he didn't even make eye contact with his son. IMO that was worse "child abuse" than any reasonable spanking. I think lots of "child abuse" comes in lots of different forms other than "physical". This particular dad didn't touch his kid, or say one word to him, but he might as well have gotten on the loud speaker and said, "Son, I'm so disappointed in you that I don't even want to look at you." If I was guessing, this dad probably couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a bass fiddle when he was playing.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Dad should have taken son out of the game at that time and replaced him with another player! When you coach your son or daugther you have to make those calls. Worse thing you can do is keep your kid in the game at all cost.

Texasfootball2
05-14-2008, 08:16 AM

Great point bogey, there are different types of abuse and some are more scaring and damaging than any spanking a child can get. I doubt that kid will ever forget what happened.

waterboy
05-14-2008, 09:10 AM
In answer to the original question: an emphatic NO! The descriptions given DO NOT constitute child abuse, unless given to an undeserving child. That opens up another whole can of worms, so to speak, and leaves the door too wide open to interpretation. In my opinion, a parent must teach their child (children) discipline, which I interpret as meaning for every action there's a reaction and consequence. There must be limits to what any child can get away with, and as a parent, I know kids will push those limits often. I agree with what another poster said, too, that lack of discipline in those formative years is one of society's biggest ills, and will continue to be, so long as those naive people believe that spankings are wrong. With my wife being an elementary school teacher, we've seen alot of behavior that is a direct result of lack of discipline at home. The really sad part is that, in most cases, the teachers are very limited in what they can do to correct the child's behavior, yet they still get blamed for the child not getting good grades and/or his/her behavioral problems. To all you parents out there: discipline starts at home! If you LOVE your child you MUST teach them discipline! Be consistent! Spank your child when he/she deserves it! I know it's not something parents enjoy doing, but if you really LOVE your child you will give them the best opportunity in life if you discipline them.

pancho villa
05-14-2008, 09:28 AM
I BEAT THE EVER-LOVING CRAP OUT OF BOTH MY KIDS LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They both better start practicing more on the Wii or I will never lose.

STANG RED
05-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by garciap77
Dad should have taken son out of the game at that time and replaced him with another player! When you coach your son or daugther you have to make those calls. Worse thing you can do is keep your kid in the game at all cost.

Im going to have to disagee with you here my friend. This is just little league. The kid certainly didnt make those errors or strike out on purpose. In fact just knowing how his dad would react probably puts way too much preasure on the kid and contributes to his errors. At that age the best thing his father could have done would have been a word of encouragement and a "you'll get em next time son, good try". All this father is going to end up doing is make his son hate baseball and lose respect for him, if he doesnt change what he is doing. This is not a unique story. We have probably all seen something simular to this on many occasions. What a shame!
There is a time and place for disciplining children, and there are many great oppertunities for teaching and training them with good lessons. As parents we have to be able to recognize these situations and make the most of them at the time.
This man couldnt have been more wrong in his reaction to his sons errors. Too bad he missed out on a great oppertunity to make a positive impact on his sons life instead of a negative one.:(

Ranger Mom
05-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Im going to have to disagee with you here my friend. This is just little league. The kid certainly didnt make those errors or strike out on purpose. In fact just knowing how his dad would react probably puts way too much preasure on the kid and contributes to his errors. At that age the best thing his father could have done would have been a word of encouragement and a "you'll get em next time son, good try". All this father is going to end up doing is make his son hate baseball and lose respect for him, if he doesnt change what he is doing. This is not a unique story. We have probably all seen something simular to this on many occasions. What a shame!
There is a time and place for disciplining children, and there are many great oppertunities for teaching and training them with good lessons. As parents we have to be able to recognize these situations and make the most of them at the time.
This man couldnt have been more wrong in his reaction to his sons errors. Too bad he missed out on a great oppertunity to make a positive impact on his sons life instead of a negative one.:(

I agree!! The "public shunning" is something that child will probably never forget!! My heart hurts for him!:(

pirate4state
05-14-2008, 09:46 AM

Agreed....I hate to see dad/coaches at the little league level. Most of those guys never even played the game so they're trying to live it through their kids! :rolleyes:

Trashman
05-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
When my girls were young 1-3, the wife and I swatted their legs. 4-8 we used a paddle that was very light but would sting. After 8 we used diffrent tricks. What does a young girl value most in life from 8-18....privacy. If they got out of hand I simply took their bedroom door off the hinges and stored it in the garage until they corrected their mistakes. Collecting cell phones works as well as taking their cars. If you take their car be prepared to deliver them to school, practice, work etc. I do not remove them from school team sports as that would punished the other team members for no reason. The three oldest girls are Airforce, Army and the third just finished her freshman year of college. They are all well adjusted adults and know how to act in society. They have often told their mother and I that the discipline they received at home helpes them as adults. Time will tell how well we do with the last two.:thinking:

That biological donor (he’s no dad) should be taken out of the game and behind the bleachers by the other coaches and severely beaten about the head and shoulders (that is the only thing his kind understands). He gives all of us a bad name. That poor child will never forget this as long as he lives and may never put forth the effort because he knows that no matter how hard he tries it will never be good enough for the biological donor.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Texasfootball2
05-14-2008, 10:09 AM

Double thumbs up Red:2thumbsup

RedWhiteBlue
05-14-2008, 10:18 AM
That kid will grow up and have '0' respect for this man and the then very lonely old man (because he has alienated all of his children) will wonder, "I wonder what I did- I even used to coach his Little League baseball games. I was always there for him."...... Duh?:thinking:

ronwx5x
05-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Three "Yes" votes now RM. Still none for me!

By the way, I have two daughters and their mom did swat them when they were little. I just could not do it without getting angry, so I just let Mom handle it. I could sure put fear in them by talking, though.

waterboy
05-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Trashman
That biological donor (he’s no dad) should be taken out of the game and behind the bleachers by the other coaches and severely beaten about the head and shoulders (that is the only thing his kind understands). He gives all of us a bad name. That poor child will never forget this as long as he lives and may never put forth the effort because he knows that no matter how hard he tries it will never be good enough for the biological donor.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :ditto: :iagree: That biological donor needs a good arse-whooping! There's no excuse for that type of behavior. If he really loved his kid he would have known that kid was hurting inside enough not to warrant his shunning him. It's people like that that anger me to no end. Get out the big can of whoop-arse for that guy and force-feed it to 'em is what I say!:mad:

DaHop72
05-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Agreed....I hate to see dad/coaches at the little league level. Most of those guys never even played the game so they're trying to live it through their kids! :rolleyes: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:kiss: :kiss:

Silverback 04
05-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Any kid who begged for a spanking over grounding obviously didn't get "spanked" effectively. My Dad was 6'5" and 280 lbs and trust me, I'd rather be grounded for a month of Sundays than get a whoopin' from him. He would grab anything he could get his hands on and thrash me for all he was worth. Funny thing though, I never felt he was at all mad at me. Actuall made me feel like there was a lesson involved and I'd better learn it.

I think thats where the old saying "This is gonna hurt me more than it is you" came from. It should be painful for the parent to dish out that punishment, but you gotta do it.

pirate4state
05-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:kiss: :kiss:

At least you played the game. You don't count in my rant. ;) :kiss:

Texasfootball2
05-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
At least you played the game. You don't count in my rant. ;) :kiss:

Ya! but he's still mad because he had to play in those rediculas "Hot" wool uniforms and hit with a wooden bat. Not to forget the uncomfortable stirups we had to wear over our knee socks.

Ranger Mom
05-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Any kid who begged for a spanking over grounding obviously didn't get "spanked" effectively. My Dad was 6'5" and 280 lbs and trust me, I'd rather be grounded for a month of Sundays than get a whoopin' from him. He would grab anything he could get his hands on and thrash me for all he was worth. Funny thing though, I never felt he was at all mad at me. Actuall made me feel like there was a lesson involved and I'd better learn it.

I think thats where the old saying "This is gonna hurt me more than it is you" came from. It should be painful for the parent to dish out that punishment, but you gotta do it.

I was actually more scared of my mom than my dad...still am actually!!:p :p

I really didn't spank my own kids that much, just didn't feel I had to. I never did the "time out" thing either....if was bad enough to have to be stuck in time out, it was worth a butt busting to me. I was pretty much the only disciplinarian my kids had...their daddy was always "out working":rolleyes: and by the time I got remarried, they were a little older.

Which brings me to another question.....should you punish your step-kids or should that be left to the biological parent??

I punished mine if they needed it.....against Dr. Laura's advice!!:p

Texasfootball2
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM

I really didn't spank my own kids that much, just didn't feel I had to. I never did the "time out" thing either....if was bad enough to have to be stuck in time out, it was worth a butt busting to me. I was pretty much the only disciplinarian my kids had...their daddy was always "out working":rolleyes: and by the time I got remarried, they were a little older.

Which brings me to another question.....should you punish your step-kids or should that be left to the biological parent??

Now your opening a whole new can of worms. Step children are already scarred somewhat from having there biological parents split up and then being asked to except someone else as the father or mother. That's a tough one, and I don't know if I've ever even thought about it before.

I do think there are two different situations though.

1. A step child because of a divorce.

2. A step child because a parent died and the other remarried.

I think cenirio #2 is a situation where a child could accept the step parent and some form of discipline, but like I said....That's a toughy:doh:

ronwx5x
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM

Boy am I glad I don't have to decide this one. I can only imagine what I would say/do when one of them threw it in my face, "you're not my father". Lose, lose. Thank God you have to decide and not me.

nobogey72
05-14-2008, 12:55 PM

I think you should definitely punish stepchildren, especially if it is a "red headed stepchild". Everybody knows that.:D :D

ronwx5x
05-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Ok, RM. This is the proper way to punish errant children. The article doen't say why the child was punished, but I think we can all guess!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,355604,00.html

DaHop72
05-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Ya! but he's still mad because he had to play in those rediculas "Hot" wool uniforms and hit with a wooden bat. Not to forget the uncomfortable stirups we had to wear over our knee socks. :evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

orange machine
05-14-2008, 02:03 PM
Being a police officer and all i can tell you that it is not child abuse. You can even slap your child across the face. Now i didnt say slug them, but slap. Kids need to be spanked when growing up. As a matter of fact i just made a paddle for when my girls get a little older. I hope i dont have to use it, but i bet i will a time or two.

Ranger Mom
05-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Now your opening a whole new can of worms. Step children are already scarred somewhat from having there biological parents split up and then being asked to except someone else as the father or mother. That's a tough one, and I don't know if I've ever even thought about it before.

I do think there are two different situations though.

1. A step child because of a divorce.

2. A step child because a parent died and the other remarried.

I think cenirio #2 is a situation where a child could accept the step parent and some form of discipline, but like I said....That's a toughy:doh:

My step-kids were 2 and 4 when their parents divorced.....my husband had custody. Until I came into the picture, they didn't even see her but once or twice a year......that changed after we got married.

slpybear the bullfan
05-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Plenty of spankings as a kid. Always with my dad's belt. And more often then not, he made me go and get it and bring it to him. Now THAT was a bad thing... but as I got older I became very scientific in the selection of leathers applied to my behind!

One other thing he did... if I screwed up somewhere when we were out he would promise a spanking when I got home. But... sometimes we would have hours more to go and then wind up getting home late. So, oftentimes heading home he was pretty tired and would offer a deal.... take the spanking tonight or go double or nothing for the next offense. If I didn't make that particulary screw up again, I was off the hook. If I did... it was 6 swats instead of 3.

I always took the double or nothing. Dad never forgot to apply the 6.

orange machine
05-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Plenty of spankings as a kid. Always with my dad's belt. And more often then not, he made me go and get it and bring it to him. Now THAT was a bad thing... but as I got older I became very scientific in the selection of leathers applied to my behind!

One other thing he did... if I screwed up somewhere when we were out he would promise a spanking when I got home. But... sometimes we would have hours more to go and then wind up getting home late. So, oftentimes heading home he was pretty tired and would offer a deal.... take the spanking tonight or go double or nothing for the next offense. If I didn't make that particulary screw up again, I was off the hook. If I did... it was 6 swats instead of 3.

I always took the double or nothing. Dad never forgot to apply the 6.

Thats a pretty good deal double or nothing.

BobcatBenny
05-14-2008, 04:39 PM
OK, RM I will let you spank me! :inlove:

nobogey72
05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Being a police officer and all i can tell you that it is not child abuse. You can even slap your child across the face. Now i didnt say slug them, but slap. Kids need to be spanked when growing up. As a matter of fact i just made a paddle for when my girls get a little older. I hope i dont have to use it, but i bet i will a time or two.

Slapping your kid across the face may not "technically" be child abuse, but I wouldn't want my child around someone that didn't think that was crossing the line. If someone doesn't have any more self control than to slap their kid in the face, then it's just a matter of time till it goes a step further then another step further. Each to his own and I'm not passing judgement but.......yeah I guess I am passing judgement on that. :thmbdwn: :tisk:

orange machine
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Slapping your kid across the face may not "technically" be child abuse, but I wouldn't want my child around someone that didn't think that was crossing the line. If someone doesn't have any more self control than to slap their kid in the face, then it's just a matter of time till it goes a step further then another step further. Each to his own and I'm not passing judgement but.......yeah I guess I am passing judgement on that. :thmbdwn: :tisk:

I would agree that it could lead to something else and it is degrading for trhe child, but never the less it not against the law. I remember when i was in first grade back min 1987 my teacher who i have alot of respect for used to pull my ears and slap us with a ruler. She was truly old school, but she got the point across and im greatful for it. Now days a teacher does that and she/he is charged with assault and loses there job. Kids no these things also no days and push it as far as they can. I went on a call about a month ago at the high school because a boy who gives us and the school problems wanted to file a police report of sexual assault on the principal because the principal told him to pull his pants up because his underwear was showing. The kids mother eggs her son on and is right behind him all the way. Not only does her son need to busted, but the mother does to!!!

STANG RED
05-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I think you should definitely punish stepchildren, especially if it is a "red headed stepchild". Everybody knows that.:D :D

LOL, nobogey I've gotten to where I dont even have to look at who posted when I read one of your posts. :D

Unless you have an alter ego (which wouldnt surprise me at all), you'll never be able to post under another name, we'll all know who you really are pretty quick.:p :D

Ranger Mom
05-14-2008, 08:04 PM
I was a real smart mouth when I was younger (I know that will come as shock to you) and I smarted off to my mom and she came right back and back-handed me in the mouth....much deserved.

What was really bad, I had just gotten braces, and it busted BOTH my lips, she felt horrible, but I never smarted off again......well, not within arms length of her anyway!!:D :D

VWG
05-14-2008, 08:23 PM

LH Panther Mom
05-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by VWG
let's see.... how about non sport posts on the downlow.
that's a whipping....;)
:doh: :doh: Didn't we just go through this? :(

VWG
05-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:doh: :doh: Didn't we just go through this? :(

LOL... man you're quick. I just edited that.

LH Panther Mom
05-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by VWG
LOL... man you're quick. I just edited that.
That's why they pay me the big bucks. ;)

Ranger Mom
05-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
That's why they pay me the big bucks. ;)

I need to renegotiate my contract!!:eek: :eek:

Emerson1
05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
I need to renegotiate my contract!!:eek: :eek:
Your get to deal with me. Isn't that payment enough?

Ranger Mom
05-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Your get to deal with me. Isn't that payment enough?

I thought that was my punishment for something!!:p

Emerson1
05-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I thought that was my punishment for something!!:p
Want me to put my private shows on a DVD for you?

piratebg
05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
I people who consider spanking their kids "child abuse". And I hate kids who scream "child abuse" the second they get popped because they see other kids do the same. When I messed up, I got my butt whooped. I told my wife that if our kids mess up, they are gonna get their butts whooped. It's called "tough love".