PDA

View Full Version : Things I would like to see at the State meet.

4x100jackets
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
1. I say put the awards stand back in the middle of the field, where all spectators can see them being handed out, instead of that little tent where everyone is crowed around!!

2. Give medals 1st -6th Heck they all deserve it!!!!

3. Put the grade level of each kid in the Program
EX. Fresh, Soph, Jr, Sr..... could be a great tool for college coaches to recruit by.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ?????????????????

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by 4x100jackets
1. I say put the awards stand back in the middle of the field, where all spectators can see them being handed out, instead of that little tent where everyone is crowed around!!

EX. Fresh, Soph, Jr, Sr..... could be a great tool for college coaches to recruit by.

#1- I think they have already voted and made the change to put the medal stand on the field for nex tyear...

#2- Thats a lot of money but i Guess if they have it...spend it!

#3- College coaches are not supposed to be at the track meet. At least I know Division I coaches cannot.

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 01:10 PM

I agree!!

I also wish they had the names of who was running the relays....(or do they and I just couldn't find it??)

coach
05-13-2008, 01:20 PM
what about having the meet like waco or atleast at a place that has more than one bathroom and get rid of those gross portapotties...i heard once a&m gets their new track facilities that they are going to try and move it their

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by coach
what about having the meet like waco or atleast at a place that has more than one bathroom and get rid of those gross portapotties...i heard once a&m gets their new track facilities that they are going to try and move it their
it will never move out of Austin.....UIL wont let it happen!

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I agree!!

I also wish they had the names of who was running the relays....(or do they and I just couldn't find it??)

You just have to listen!

Silverback 04
05-13-2008, 01:29 PM

Agreed!

Especially with the 1st 2. Its gotta suck getting all the way to state, finishing fourth, and having nothing to show for it. Its like they are sayin "Congratulations, you made it to state, you finished 4th, now here's your kick in the sack!!

Medal stand thing would be great. this was the 2nd year in a row that I've been and it wasn't until the 300m hurdles on friday that I figured out where they were giving the medals.

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
You just have to listen!

I wanna know WAY before the announcer says it!!

4x100jackets
05-13-2008, 01:45 PM
I would like to see the meet be held some where else also..Traffic is just crazy. PARKING su%^s

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 01:47 PM
the UIL will continue to have ALL the state competitions in Austin. Do not believe that will ever change.

I do too hate the parking situations and just the city of Austin in general. Weird place...very weird place.

NastySlot
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
the UIL will continue to have ALL the state competitions in Austin. Do not believe that will ever change.

I do too hate the parking situations and just the city of Austin in general. Weird place...very weird place.

i've always thought that they should move basketball to san antonio and play in the alamodome....a lot more seating.

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Id like to see bottled water under $3.50 and soft drinks under $4.00.

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Id like to see bottled water under $3.50 and soft drinks under $4.00.

Those lemon chills were life savers to me!!!

BreckTxLonghorn
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I'd like them to place a large canopy over the west seats!

And only charge Friday as one session.

pirate4state
05-13-2008, 01:56 PM

I like #1 & 3.

I don't know about giving medals to 1-6 though. I don't like the little league/summer olympics feel it would have. Where everyone gets a ribbon. Not my cup of tea, but I'm not gonna knock it if it ever happens. Just how I feel about it. The experience of being at the state meet should be enough for the kids that place 4-6th, but I understand some people feel the need to reward EVERYTHING these days. Oh well....

DU_stud04
05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Those lemon chills were life savers to me!!! you act like it ws hot this past weekend. anything under 120 is cool

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
you act like it ws hot this past weekend. anything under 120 is cool

The heat I could stand....I think it was the humidity that was getting to me!!!

DU_stud04
05-13-2008, 02:04 PM
The heat I could stand....I think it was the humidity that was getting to me!!! humidity is a killer. last summer where i worked if it rained at all humidity level shot up to 100% , then the constant 120 degrees didnt help any either. i enjoyed the outside heat, it always felt cool outside(3pm) when my shift ended.

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
I wanna know WAY before the announcer says it!!

You had two weeks to research.

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i've always thought that they should move basketball to san antonio and play in the alamodome....a lot more seating.

Why do they need more seating?

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 02:06 PM
I would like to see the meet be held some where else also..Traffic is just crazy. PARKING su%^s

People complain about parking everywhere!

I've never had a problem with the parking.

coach
05-13-2008, 02:08 PM
lol u can say UIL wont let anything be moved awqay from austin but there is serious talk about baseball and track being moved away..especially when a&m builds their gigantic track and field stadium

kepdawg
I would like to see a ginormous scoreboard on the south end that shows the current team standings.

kaorder1999
People complain about parking everywhere!

I've never had a problem with the parking.

parking is an issue in Austin. There were a LOT of people that had to park at the baseball field this year and walk across the bridge over 35 to get to the stadium

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 02:09 PM
parking is an issue in Austin. There were a LOT of people that had to park at the baseball field this year and walk across the bridge over 35 to get to the stadium

So? That's not a big deal at all.

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
You had two weeks to research.

I didn't WANT to research it! Heck, if the truth be known, since me and P4S had press passes, they had handouts that had all that info on it....but I didn't wanna carry all that crap with me!!

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
I didn't WANT to research it! Heck, if the truth be known, since me and P4S had press passes, they had handouts that had all that info on it....but I didn't wanna carry all that crap with me!!

So you expect to get the information with esp or osmosis or something?

Old Tiger
05-13-2008, 02:34 PM

1 - Yes
2- Hell No
3 - That'd be cool

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
So you expect to get the information with esp or osmosis or something?

No....I wished it was all in the program!

Actually, I had already printed out all the regional information...but I really don't want to go to the track meet with all those papers!! I just want it all there when I open the program!!!

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
the Relays can always change so Im guessing thats why they dont print them. They qualify as a team so they can run 4 different kids then what ran at Regionals if they want...

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
the Relays can always change so Im guessing thats why they dont print them. They qualify as a team so they run 4 different kids then what ran at Regionals...

That makes sense!!

Thank you for being nice about it and not endlessly picking on me!!:p

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 03:23 PM
i meant...they CAN run 4 different kids if they want....make sense...

its a good question though. Ive never noticed that they didnt print them

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 03:28 PM
No....I wished it was all in the program!

Actually, I had already printed out all the regional information...but I really don't want to go to the track meet with all those papers!! I just want it all there when I open the program!!!

You are nuts! You can handle the program, but "all those papers" would just be way too much!

LH Panther Mom
05-13-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I like #1 & 3.

I don't know about giving medals to 1-6 though. I don't like the little league/summer olympics feel it would have. Where everyone gets a ribbon. Not my cup of tea, but I'm not gonna knock it if it ever happens. Just how I feel about it. The experience of being at the state meet should be enough for the kids that place 4-6th, but I understand some people feel the need to reward EVERYTHING these days. Oh well....
We'll be disagreeing on the medal thing. 4th or 6th in the STATE isn't exactly a "warm fuzzy" thing, when there were potentially 500+ kids running/competing in the event initially.

I think I provided the primo "warm fuzzy" example to the fab 4 the other day. :ack!: :devil:

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We'll be disagreeing on the medal thing. 4th or 6th in the STATE isn't exactly a "warm fuzzy" thing, when there were potentially 500+ kids running/competing in the event initially.

I think I provided the primo "warm fuzzy" example to the fab 4 the other day. :ack!: :devil:

What about the 7th and 8th place people? :thinking:

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:35 PM
You are nuts! You can handle the program, but "all those papers" would just be way too much!

My husband is the program handler and I know he won't want to keep up with all that.

The field event and running events breakdowns are separate and they are BOTH thick!!!

LH Panther Mom
05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
What about the 7th and 8th place people? :thinking: Sorry, I'll draw the line there. Most, if not all, have medals for 1-3 & ribbons for 4-6. A place that earns points should, in my opinion, receive a medal or ribbon. :)

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
if im a state qualifier, I would not want to be given a ribbon...i would want either a medal or nothing!

kepdawg
05-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Sorry, I'll draw the line there. Most, if not all, have medals for 1-3 & ribbons for 4-6. A place that earns points should, in my opinion, receive a medal or ribbon. :)

Congrats! You finished 6th in the state! Sorry 7th, you suck! :(

LH Panther Mom
05-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Congrats! You finished 6th in the state! Sorry 7th, you suck! :(
:p No, they don't suck.

I got a 5th place ribbon at District in 7th grade for the hurdles. My brother, several years later, got nothing when he got 5th in the mile at the State meet. He sure deserved a ribbon a whole lot more than I did....unless you consider the holes inside my calf I got when I cleated myself. :doh:

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 03:45 PM

I got a 5th place ribbon at District in 7th grade for the hurdles. My brother, several years later, got nothing when he got 5th in the mile at the State meet. He sure deserved a ribbon a whole lot more than I did....unless you consider the holes inside my calf I got when I cleated myself. :doh:

I think if you were to poll all the 4th, 5th and 6th place finishers from this year the majority would say they would rather have nothing given to them rather than receive a ribbon.....

Ranger Mom
05-13-2008, 03:45 PM

Ha!! I remember that story!!:D

LH Panther Mom
05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
I think if you were to poll all the 4th, 5th and 6th place finishers from year the majority would say they would rather have nothing given to them rather than receive a ribbon.....
And that's very possible!

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 03:49 PM
And that's very possible!

I do believe they deserve something and that could come from the school. At the end of the year if they have a banquet then they should give that qualifier something special.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-13-2008, 03:49 PM

But he got at least a silver medal from Regionals. And a gold or silver from district too.

Its not like the state qualifiers have to turn in their medals for a chance to compete. They'll keep those forever, and show those to their children, explaining from there.

pirate4state
05-13-2008, 03:51 PM

We'll just agree to disagree!

pirate4state
05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
I do believe they deserve something and that could come from the school. At the end of the year if they have a banquet then they should give that qualifier something special. They got a gold or silver medal at Regionals! They got a trip to Austin. They had a chance to compete. Goodness.

LH Panther Mom
05-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
But he got at least a silver medal from Regionals. And a gold or silver from district too.

Its not like the state qualifiers have to turn in their medals for a chance to compete. They'll keep those forever, and show those to their children, explaining from there.
That's a very good point that I didn't think of. :)

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 04:36 PM
They got a gold or silver medal at Regionals! They got a trip to Austin. They had a chance to compete. Goodness.

But like I said, making it to the State Track Meet is a HUGE feat. They, not just the 4th, 5th and 6th place finishers, all quilifiers, deserve recognition for making it t here just as a team would that qualifies for the State Finals. They will be recognized for making it there even though they won a trophy at the State SEmi's and Regional Finals, etc.

pirate4state
05-13-2008, 05:08 PM
But like I said, making it to the State Track Meet is a HUGE feat. They, not just the 4th, 5th and 6th place finishers, all quilifiers, deserve recognition for making it t here just as a team would that qualifies for the State Finals. They will be recognized for making it there even though they won a trophy at the State SEmi's and Regional Finals, etc. huh? what do you want a parade? a city resolution proclaiming it "XYZ day" lol

I'm sure each individual school has something that they do to recognize their athletes. Plus in the lower classifications the whole town knows who qualified and how they did. We had a pretty good showing in Austin for 3 different qualifiers this year. :)

Txbroadcaster
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
huh? what do you want a parade? a city resolution proclaiming it "XYZ day" lol

I'm sure each individual school has something that they do to recognize their athletes. Plus in the lower classifications the whole town knows who qualified and how they did. We had a pretty good showing in Austin for 3 different qualifiers this year. :)

I think hew means since a team gets a plaque for just making it to the finals, then all individuals should get something for in essence making it to the State Finals

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I think hew means since a team gets a plaque for just making it to the finals, then all individuals should get something for in essence making it to the State Finals

what I mean....

Jimmy Joe makes it to State in the Shot Put and he places 4th. As his coach I would see to it the at our end of year banquet he is recognized as being a state qualifier and I would use budget money to purchase him a plaque or some kind of award and present it to him.

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 05:26 PM

I'm sure each individual school has something that they do to recognize their athletes.

that is what I was talking about in the first place. I wasnt talking about them being recognized at the State Meet or by the UIL...Im talking about being recognized by their school. Hence, no reason to give out 4th, 5th and 6th place medals at the meet itself

My comment about the football deal is based on the same thing. If a team makes it to the Finals in football, the game before they were awarded a trophy for being State Semifinal Champions and the week before they were REgional Champions, much like in track. In track they get medals at District and at Regionals. My point was this: Are you going to recognize that team at your Sports Banquets as being State Finalists? Will they get something that says they were State Finalists? Probably so or at least I have seen most schools do this. So my point was...if you do it for football, why not recognize your State Qualifiers in track and that would take care of the ones that didn't get medals at the State Meet and allow them to have something to show for being there instead of a crappy ribbon!

Antec
05-13-2008, 06:38 PM
I wonder if most state track participants get a patch0 saying they are a state qualifer for their jacket

I think top 3 finshers should get medals and ribbons for 4-6th

crabman
05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
What is up with those P.O.S. sign for the pole vault and high jump that show the height they are at. Those were there in the 70's. Some years they have long jump and triple jump and some years not.

This is the new millenium. How about some nice LED message boards at every field event so that we know what the long jump or dicsus distance was as it happens. Every jump or throw is measured. How hard would it be to have a two sided message board that someone could key in the distance? Put one at every field event with one of those 2000 workers that are running around.

The UIL takes 15% off the top on admission to every playoff game in every single sport. Don't tell me they don't have the money.

kaorder1999
05-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Antec
I wonder if most state track participants get a patch0 saying they are a state qualifer for their jacket

I think top 3 finshers should get medals and ribbons for 4-6th
im guessing they can buy one themself to have it added if they want to!