PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on the Stars/Wings series

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
As most of you know, I'm a diehard Stars fan, and obviously, for any Stars fan, this has been a very rough series. Down 3-0, I haven't lost all faith, but I can't really say that I'm surprised to be where we're at in the series.

Before the playoffs began, most people predicted another first round exit for the Stars. I said before the playoffs started that we'd go as far in the playoffs as we could without facing the Red Wings. If Detroit had been knocked out by another team, I fully expected Dallas to win the Stanley Cup.

If you look back at the prediction thread to start the series, I said that my heart said Stars in six, but my gut was telling me Wings in five. I think that Wings in five is now looking like a pretty good gut feeling.

The Stars have far exceeded the expectations of just about any fan out there this year, but I know that many will be disappointed with the finish unless this team becomes the 3rd team in history to come back from a 3-0 deficit. I want to caution those fans not to get too down on the team though. I think that this year will end up being a spring board for next year. If you look at the Stars teams of the late 90s, in 1998, people were doubting whether the Stars would ever be able to step up into the elite of the NHL. Following up a bad first round performance, nobody expected much out of them. All that they did was make a surprising run to the Western Conference finals where they were beaten by a Detroit team that was just plain better. The Stars learned from that experience, and they made the Stanley Cup finals two years in a row after that.

I think that this team has a lot of that old team in them. Detroit is just plain the better team. When the Stars look at Detroit, they see what they're trying to become. But they're not quite there yet. There have been times in every period this series where the Stars have looked fully capable of dominating the series, yet every single period, the Red Wings have bounced back and one-upped the Stars. Dallas CAN play with Detroit...I just don't think the team believes it.

If the Red Wings go on to win the cup, they're definitely the most deserving team this year. On the other hand, they're going to have a heck of a rough ride next year if they do. Age is going to catch up with the blueline eventually, and Cup champions are notorious for aging over the summer and looking flat the following year.

Root on the Stars for as long as they hang around, but even if they go down in four, don't get disheartened. The future looks very bright for Dallas. Next year, they'll have an entire year to play with Brad Richards, and he's only going to make the team better as they adjust to his level of play. They have a European sensation joining them in Fabian Brunnstrom, who last week picked the Stars over the Red Wings and Maple Leafs. And Marty Turco has fought off hundreds of demons this year, ranging from first round playoff exits to beating division rivals, to not completely collapsing after letting in a soft goal. Next year, there's only going to be one question surrounding Turco, and every single time he's made it a point to focus on one particular demon, he's conquered it.

jason
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
the red wings are fast - and almost always seem to be in passing lanes resulting in odd player rushes vs turco....

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by jason
the red wings are fast - and almost always seem to be in passing lanes resulting in odd player rushes vs turco....

Their intuition makes them look even faster than they really should be...a lot of passes that they've made were picked off by the Stars and put in the net against San Jose and Anaheim. The Red Wings just seem to have an extra gear where they're able to move the passes just an inch further away or just a quarter second faster, getting the puck to the intended player.

Macarthur
05-13-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah, the Wings are clearly the better club.

However, the Stars have tons to look forward to. The Stars have some good young players that are only going to get better. They also have their better players locked up for several years: Richards, Riberio, Morrow, Turco.

I have been really disappointed in Marty. I know it's not all his fault, but he's just going to have to be better to win a cup.

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Yeah, the Wings are clearly the better club.

However, the Stars have tons to look forward to. The Stars have some good young players that are only going to get better. They also have their better players locked up for several years: Richards, Riberio, Morrow, Turco.

I have been really disappointed in Marty. I know it's not all his fault, but he's just going to have to be better to win a cup.

I hope you mean that your disappointment is in this series alone...he was plenty good to win a Cup in the first two rounds. He just looks like a very average goaltender against Detroit.

Adidas410s
05-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Long and short...the JV can't beat the varsity in a long series! :(

And it sure doesn't help when you're missing Barnes, Bouchier, and Lehtinen...and then throw in a hobbled Morrow (who evidently disclocated/seperated his shoulder last night but returned w/in minutes) and it's a tough hill to climb.

If I didn't hate wing so much I'd tell you that they're the most impressive team I've seen play in quite a while...and certainly since the strike. Even though they're full of Swedes instead of Russians now...they've loaded up on guys from the gold medal winning Swedish national team and set them loose on the NHL. It's a thing of beauty to watch. Now back to hating wing...

Macarthur
05-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I hope you mean that your disappointment is in this series alone...he was plenty good to win a Cup in the first two rounds. He just looks like a very average goaltender against Detroit.

He was very very good. But each series get tougher and tougher and, as much as I personally like Marty, he has yet to get the Detroit monkey off his back. Until he does that, I don't think it matters how good the rest of the team is.

Adidas410s
05-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
He was very very good. But each series get tougher and tougher and, as much as I personally like Marty, he has yet to get the Detroit monkey off his back. Until he does that, I don't think it matters how good the rest of the team is.
To take up for Turco a bit...he's made some huge strides in the playoffs the past 2 years. Before the Vancouver series, nobody thought we would win because Turco couldn't win a playoff series. He's now gone from being unable to beat any Western Conference team to being unable to beat Detroit. Hopefully he can take that next step in the future...

Macarthur
05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
I agree he has exercised some demons.

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
To take up for Turco a bit...he's made some huge strides in the playoffs the past 2 years. Before the Vancouver series, nobody thought we would win because Turco couldn't win a playoff series. He's now gone from being unable to beat any Western Conference team to being unable to beat Detroit. Hopefully he can take that next step in the future...

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make; given that it's the only question that he really has left to answer, I'll be shocked if he doesn't knock off Detroit next year or the next.

Sweetwater Red
05-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'll be shocked if he doesn't knock off Detroit next year or the next.

He will be playing for Detroit by then.:thinking: :devil:

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
He will be playing for Detroit by then.:thinking: :devil:

haha...no...he's under contract for several more years with a NTC...wishful thinking on your part though! You'll just have to deal with Jimmy Howard.

coach
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
also there has been several times this series that turco has been left out to dry with many one on none situations..dallas' defense has been pathetic..and any goaltender would struggle against this team