PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Refuses To Hang Up Cell Phone During Flight!!!

ILS1
05-12-2008, 08:28 PM
By TERRY MAXON and SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas police met a Southwest Airlines plane at Dallas Love Field on Monday after flight staff reported that a passenger refused to stop using his mobile phone during the flight.

Joe David Jones, 50, was cited for disorderly conduct, Dallas police said.

The incident occurred during a Southwest flight from Austin to Dallas. “After multiple requests, the flight attendants were not successful in getting the passenger to get off the phone,” said Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King.

According to a Dallas police report, flight attendants had asked Mr. Jones to turn off his cell phone and he responded with, "Kiss my ---." When asked again, he stated, "Kiss my ---. Not happening," the report said.

He remained on the phone for about 20 minutes. The pilot radioed the incident to the Love Field tower and Dallas police were notified. Officers met Mr. Jones at the gate and he continued to "exhibit disorderly conduct," police said.

Federal Aviation Administration regulations prohibit any use of mobile phones except when the aircraft is on the ground.

Ms. King said airlines can be fined up to $25,000 if they permit mobile phone usage during a flight, and individuals also can face fines.

“Our flight attendants asked for local authorities to meet the aircraft,” Ms. King said. “At that point, we stepped out of the way and left the matter to the local authorities.”

Carrie Harmon, a Transportation Security Administration spokewoman, said Monday that the federal agency was not involved with the incident.

Ms. Harmon said unless the incident involves someone who is a security threat, TSA isn’t involved.

The Federal Aviation Administration recorded 133 cases last year in which passengers were charged for “unruly” behavior, such as interfering with the duties of crew members.

That figure does not include cases in which charges were not filed.

Story Link (www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/051308dnmetpassenger.f2feb5b0.html?npc&nTar=OPUR)

ILS1
05-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Dallas police ticketed a Southwest Airlines passenger this morning after he refused to stop talking on his cell phone during a flight from Austin to Dallas, an airline spokeswoman said.

Flight attendants asked Joe David Jones, 50 of Austin, to put away his phone after they noticed him using it during the flight’s descent, spokeswoman Brandy King said. An associate of Jones said today that he refused because he’d just received a message that his father was in dire health.

Police were called to meet flight 958 at Love Field when it landed, King said. Jones was ticketed for disorderly conduct, a class C misdemeanor, a Dallas police spokeswoman said.

Federal Aviation Administration regulations bar cell phone use on planes because it could interfere with the flight’s navigation system, King said. She said airlines can be fined at least $25,000 for allowing cell phone use during flights.

“He was clear on the regulation, he just chose not to abide by the request,” King said.

Jones’ business associate, Mark Clayton, said he’d forgotten to turn off his phone during takeoff and he received the message as the plane moved closer to Dallas. Clayton said he spoke with Jones earlier today.

“His father’s heart had stopped,” Clayton said. “The cardiac unit requested a call immediately to discuss decisions regarding his father’s immediate care.

“So, Mr. Jones attempted to call them back. And it took several tries.” “He expresses regret for the inconvenience that it caused the airline and its passengers, but he felt compelled because of the life and death nature of it to make that call.”

According to a police report, Jones was on his cell phone for about 20 minutes at the tail end of the flight. The report said Jones used profanity when asked to turn his phone off.

“Kiss my *,” Jones said to attendants, according to the report.

Clayton said Jones did not mention what was said between himself and the flight attendants during the incident.

Jones was unavailable for comment today because he was on his way to be with his father, Clayton said.

Jones is president of Skyonic Corporation, an Austin environmental technology company. The company last year was named one of 25 innovators from around the world by the Tech Museum of Innovation.

Clayton, Skyonic’s vice president of corporate relations, said the company specializes in cleaning emissions from coal-fired power plants.

Story Link (www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/blotter/entries/2008/05/12/man_ticketed_for_using_cell_ph.html)

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Mythbusters did some research and found out that no modern cellphone could interfere with an aircraft's system in any way. There's about a one in a million chance that a cellphone from the late 80s/early 90s could have caused some minor interference, but nothing that a pilot couldn't work through without any major complications.

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Mythbusters did some research and found out that no modern cellphone could interfere with an aircraft's system in any way. There's about a one in a million chance that a cellphone from the late 80s/early 90s could have caused some minor interference, but nothing that a pilot couldn't work through without any major complications.

Im guessing that the FAA has their reasons for not allowing any electronic devices in flight....Im going to go with their judgement over Mythbusters judgement!

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Im guessing that the FAA has their reasons for not allowing any electronic devices in flight....Im going to go with their judgement over Mythbusters judgement!

They actually talked to the FAA about it, and they said that they really haven't researched it and didn't want to spend the time or make the effort to find out if there was anything wrong with it, so they just assumed it was bad and told passengers not to do it...better safe than sorry they said.

JasperDog94
05-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Im guessing that the FAA has their reasons for not allowing any electronic devices in flight.... Do you want to sit next to the guy talking three times too loud on his cell phone during a flight? I know I don't.

crzyjournalist03
05-13-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Do you want to sit next to the guy talking three times too loud on his cell phone during a flight? I know I don't.

Do planes still have on-board phones? Wouldn't it be the same deal?

JasperDog94
05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Do planes still have on-board phones? Wouldn't it be the same deal? True. But most planes no longer have the phones on board. Even the ones that still have them usually don't work. It was a fad.

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Do planes still have on-board phones? Wouldn't it be the same deal?

the planes charge like $3 a minute so there arent a lot of people using them usually

Silverback 04
05-13-2008, 09:37 AM
I think what we are dealing with here are anamolies/queertrons. All aircraft have very complex electronic systems these days and they are likely to react to any number of things radar and electronic related. Back a few years ago (80's) the Army's UH-60 Blackhawk Helicopter was reported to be prone to a number of radio wave interferences that would cause the aircraft to crash to the ground due to what I believe was a stabilator issue. The Army took to calling them Crash hawks and Lawn Darts.

The bottom line is that there are still so many unknowns when it comes to complex flying systems, I would just as soon not take a chance.

NastySlot
05-13-2008, 09:44 AM
ok...Cedric Benson...not doing what he was told to do.....Prom Girl with dress.....not obeying guidelines....clown on plane with cell phone..........not turning it off when asked and even cussing at flight attendents...........can't people just do what their asked to do or supposed do?

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM
some people DO NOT like being told what to do. They have a problem with that big time!

Silverback 04
05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Heres an idea. When this happens, everybody on the plane should get to take a free shot at the guy as they deboard the plane. The little old ladies that can't punch get to hit with their canes. Then release the guy on his own recognizance, thus saving taxpayer dollars by not having him in court. And the Pudknocker on the phone learns a very important lesson.

DDBooger
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
i believe cell phones are the triggers of choice for bombs and I imagine them being turned off prevents that. Israeli mossad has killed many terrorists with cell phone charges! no reason that couldn't be used by them as well. don't think it would be powerful enough to take down a plane though, maybe a head or two:eek:

NastySlot
05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
some people DO NOT like being told what to do. They have a problem with that big time!

i hear that from students....and my reply is get use to it someone will always be telling you what to do.....and if your doing something your not suppose to be doing get ready for consequences.

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
i hear that from students....and my reply is get use to it someone will always be telling you what to do.....and if your doing something your not suppose to be doing get ready for consequences.
you ever hear the "my momma said I dont have to do what you say. I only have to do what she says"

pirate4state
05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
you ever hear the "my momma said I dont have to do what you say. I only have to do what she says" :eek: :eek: omg....I could not be a teacher in today's society and it's only gonna get worse! :dispntd:

kaorder1999
05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
when one of our kids makes that comment, our Campus Police officer says" Oh yeah?" and puts them in handcuffs and says "let's call momma then"

NastySlot
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
you ever hear the "my momma said I dont have to do what you say. I only have to do what she says"

in the school i was at before i heard a lot about momma...in fredericksburg we don't get momma said to often if at all.

JasperDog94
05-13-2008, 11:34 AM
"It's okay to fight back. Mr., Mr., Mr. Coach Kline said I could.":p

I guess hearing "momma said" reminded me of this quote.

Phil C
05-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot

:clap:

AP Panther Fan
05-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Do you want to sit next to the guy talking three times too loud on his cell phone during a flight? I know I don't.

I agree...same goes with a restaurant. In addition to just being plain, old, bad manners...it's against the law on an airplane.

Sorry about the man's father, but I think that some people just have a sense of entitlement and don't think the rules apply to them.

Txbroadcaster
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
while I would not be the jerk he was, I have to admit if I was in same situation I would stay on the phone as well

garciap77
05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
Heres an idea. When this happens, everybody on the plane should get to take a free shot at the guy as they deboard the plane. The little old ladies that can't punch get to hit with their canes. Then release the guy on his own recognizance, thus saving taxpayer dollars by not having him in court. And the Pudknocker on the phone learns a very important lesson.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kickin It
05-13-2008, 01:26 PM
The guy did have a good reason for being on the phone, but you would think that he could have chosen a little better way to communicate with the attendants. They might have had a little sympathy if he had not chosen to tell them to kiss his a@@.

Emerson1
05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
i believe cell phones are the triggers of choice for bombs and I imagine them being turned off prevents that. Israeli mossad has killed many terrorists with cell phone charges! no reason that couldn't be used by them as well. don't think it would be powerful enough to take down a plane though, maybe a head or two:eek:
IF that were the case, then they wouldn't allow them on board at all.

Adidas410s
05-13-2008, 02:14 PM
check with the FCC. They're lobbying very hard for phones to be allowed on planes because it doesn't interfere with the plane's navigation/radio systems. Even still, most phones can't pick up cell service at 35,000 ft.

Also, wi-fi is starting to appear in planes (Southwest will start rolling it out this summer) so it will be interesting to see how VOIP is treated.

Texasfootball2
05-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Thats the problem and they had better get use to it. Lack of respect for authority it whats wrong with the generation group up today. I'm all for going back to the good ole days when a parent to sternly discipline his child without the fear of being repremanded. It is biblical you know.

SWMustang
05-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

does it make it easier to shoot missiles at planes if the cell phones have GPS on them?

Emerson1
05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
does it make it easier to shoot missiles at planes if the cell phones have GPS on them?
Any electronic advice could have something to guide it really. It would just be sending out a signal since you lose phone service pretty fast

Silverback 04
05-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1

I'm no electrical engineer but I know for a fact that Iraqi insurgents have used the cheap Walmart type phones to trigger different types of bombs, so it can be done.

Adidas410s
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
The FAA is counting on their security scanners to catch anything that could possibly turn a cell phone into a bomb trigger...along w/ obviously finding the bomb too!

Even still, they don't seem too worried about it because every flight is full of people w/ Blackberrys, Treo's, and other phones that have an "airplane mode" that allows you to use the phone and turn off the GSM/CDMA radio.

slpybear the bullfan
05-14-2008, 04:05 PM
the planes charge like $3 a minute so there arent a lot of people using them usually

Ummm more like $5-$10.

Count me squarely in the crowd of Frequent Fliers who would hate to have cell phones permitted during flights. UGGGGhhh.

Emerson1
05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
I'm no electrical engineer but I know for a fact that Iraqi insurgents have used the cheap Walmart type phones to trigger different types of bombs, so it can be done.
I never said it couldn't. But you could probably do it with blue tooth or some other signal as well.

Or have something disguised as a calculator like that one movie.