PDA

View Full Version : Astros' Lance Berkman named NL Player of the Week

Maroon87
05-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Berkman's hot week nets him award
First baseman named National League Player of the Week
By David Singh / MLB.com

The way Lance Berkman has been swinging the bat lately has allowed the Astros slugger to accomplish feats that few others have been able to achieve.

On Monday, Berkman was named the National League Player of the Week for the period ending May 11. The 32-year-old led the Majors with a gaudy .682 (15-for-22) batting average and a 1.136 slugging percentage on his way to winning the weekly honors for the second time this season and fourth in his career. Berkman is the only player so far in 2008 to win the award twice.

The Astros first baseman also led the Majors over the last week with 10 runs scored, 15 hits and a .741 on-base percentage. His four doubles tied for the Major League lead. As well, Berkman recorded five consecutive multi-hit performances.

Even more impressive is that with his double midway through Saturday's game against the Dodgers, Berkman became only the second player in the last 50 years to have collected 19 hits in 25 at-bats, according to Trent McCotter of the Society For American Baseball Research (SABR). St. Louis slugger Albert Pujols did the same from May 30-June 7, 2003.

"What else can you say?" said Houston manager Cecil Cooper, referring to Berkman on Friday. "The guy's just sizzling right now, putting good swings. I don't know what else to say. He's been outstanding, for the last couple of weeks, just red-hot. I just hope it continues."

Entering Monday's games and following his monster offensive showing last week, Berkman leads the NL in runs scored (40), RBIs (36) and doubles (15). His 12 home runs and .382 batting average both rank second in the league.

When asked on Friday about his performance at the plate, Berkman acknowledged he's had a pretty good week, and just may be off to his best start.

"Could be," Berkman said. "Everybody's got to have a best start, and a worst one. So I think we'll have to wait until the end my career until we can properly put it into context.

"It's a great week, no doubt," he added. "I doubt I've ever had a week like it and I probably never will have another one like it. I just have to enjoy it."

By winning Player of the Week honors, Berkman edged out teammate Carlos Lee, who hit .375 last week with three doubles and nine RBIs. St. Louis' Ryan Ludwick (.478, four home runs, nine RBIs), Colorado's Clint Barnes (.556, three doubles, two RBIs) and Florida's Dan Uggla (.350, four homers, eight RBIs) were also candidates.

Bank of America, the official bank of Major League Baseball, is the presenting sponsor of the NL and American League Player of the Week Awards, which reflect Bank of America's long-standing tradition of promoting and recognizing higher standards of accomplishment. Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis won this week's AL award.

Tourneau, the world's largest watch store, will award Berkman with a luxury Swiss Timepiece, suitably engraved, in recognition of his accomplishments as Bank of America Presents the NL Player of the Week.

David Singh is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

zebrablue2
05-12-2008, 06:33 PM
well deserved honor..:clap::2thumbsup:

buff4ever
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
3 for 4 with a homerun last night too.