PDA

View Full Version : Joe Jamail gives texas another 15 mill

jlg043
05-12-2008, 05:34 PM
Lawyer-philanthropist Joseph Jamail of Houston has donated $15 million to the University of Texas for endowments in law, nursing and undergraduate studies, officials announced today.

Jamail, 82, and his wife, Lee Hage Jamail, who died last year, previously donated more than $22 million to UT for law, athletics and other programs.

Jamail was showered with thanks at a news conference this morning attended by UT President William Powers Jr., an assortment of deans and other academic leaders and current and former athletics officials, including head football coach Mack Brown, former coach Darrell Royal and baseball coach Augie Garrido. Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst also attended.

"You know, I'm getting more out of this than the university is," Jamail said in response to the outpouring of affection and appreciation.

Of the $15 million, $10 million is earmarked for the law school, the largest single gift in its history. The money will be used for recruiting and retaining faculty members.

The School of Nursing and the Office of Undergraduate Studies will each get $2.5 million.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/05/13/0513utgift.html

JHS_c/o_06'
05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
of that 2.5 mil to undergraduate studies.....i'm sure they could throw me a couple of thousand. HAHA