PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know?

RedWhiteBlue
05-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I may have missed the thread...... but have you guys discussed already what is going on in Breckenridge?
What happened to the football coach? Did the HC leave or was it the AD? Or both?
Just wondering. I caught the tail end of it on the radio this morning and haven't heard anything since.

Adidas410s
05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81974&highlight=breckenridge

kaorder1999
05-12-2008, 03:07 PM
what was that head coaches name?

RedWhiteBlue
05-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Berry?

BreckTxLonghorn
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Berry-- was OC at Corsicana before he came.

Sweetwater Red

I can't remember his name. I do remember how he looked at
the region 14 service center after the realignment was announced.

He looked like he had just been punched in the stomach...seriously.

RedWhiteBlue
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I can't remember his name. I do remember how he looked at
the region 14 service center after the realignment was announced.

He looked like he had just been punched in the stomach...seriously.
I think that's how I felt.........

RedWhiteBlue
05-12-2008, 03:17 PM
SERIOUSLY!!!

Sweetwater Red
05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by RedWhiteBlue
SERIOUSLY!!!

:confused:

The reason I said seriously was because I figured everyone
would think I was just trash talking.

As far as the new district...anything can happen. Don't give up
hope just yet.

kaorder1999
05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Berry-- was OC at Corsicana before he came.

He was the head coach at Corsicana....was the Special Teams Coordinator at Ennis after he was fired from Corsicana....

BreckTxLonghorn
05-12-2008, 03:33 PM
He was the head coach at Corsicana....was the Special Teams Coordinator at Ennis after he was fired from Corsicana....

There you go. Shows how much I know, being an outsider looking in.:)

No word on where he's going now. Heard sup't got approached by more than one coach at track meet; hopefully it can get filled soon.

kaorder1999
05-12-2008, 03:33 PM
yeah...I double checked myself...

This year- Head coach at Breck...

Previously
Special Teams Coordinator-Ennis
Head Coach- Corsicana

RedWhiteBlue
05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
:confused:

The reason I said seriously was because I figured everyone
would think I was just trash talking.

As far as the new district...anything can happen. Don't give up
hope just yet.
It had nothing to do with giving up 'hope'. I think it just took me by surprise is all. With gas prices the way they are and having a 7th grader and a freshman next year...... my stomach feels queasy already with gas prices the way they are.:eek: :eek:

BreckTxLonghorn
05-12-2008, 03:35 PM
I may have missed the thread...... but have you guys discussed already what is going on in Breckenridge?
What happened to the football coach? Did the HC leave or was it the AD? Or both?
Just wondering. I caught the tail end of it on the radio this morning and haven't heard anything since.

AD is staying.

Sweetwater Red
05-12-2008, 03:37 PM
http://www.breckenridgeamerican.com/news/get-news.asp?id=7939&catid=1&cpg=get-news.asp

"It's better for everybody," Berry said.

Berry was head coach for one year, the 2007 season. He compiled a 3-7 season mark and was 1-3 in district competition. His overall record as a head coach is 36-23, including 33-16 as head coach at Corsicana.
He was the 22nd head coach for the Buckaroos since the 1921 season.

Breckenridge High School Athletic Director Robert O’Dell said Berry is no longer at the school.

“I think he and the school district had a different philosophy and a different direction we wanted to go in,” he said.

O’Dell said former assistant coach and Breckenridge High School athlete Donnie Funderburg (who was one of the finalists when Berry was hired in 2007) has re-applied for the head coach position.

“I’ve also had several other coaches express interest,” he said.

Gunter Rodriguez and Shade Boulware said they also will be resigning as high school coaches. Both said they have accepted coaching positions at Blooming Grove High School near Dallas. Rodriguez was the defensive coordinator for the 2007 football team, while Boulware was the offensive coordinator.

Boulware’s exit will mean his wife, Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Dani Boulware, also will be moving. She said she will remain with the Chamber through the end of June.

Berry said he and his wife, Alicia, and their three children will be moving and that he is looking for another coaching position.

“You’ve got some good people in this town,” he said.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-12-2008, 03:40 PM
http://www.breckenridgeamerican.com/news/get-news.asp?id=7939&catid=1&cpg=get-news.asp

"It's better for everybody," Berry said.

Berry was head coach for one year, the 2007 season. He compiled a 3-7 season mark and was 1-3 in district competition. His overall record as a head coach is 36-23, including 33-16 as head coach at Corsicana.
He was the 22nd head coach for the Buckaroos since the 1921 season.

Breckenridge High School Athletic Director Robert O’Dell said Berry is no longer at the school.

“I think he and the school district had a different philosophy and a different direction we wanted to go in,” he said.

O’Dell said former assistant coach and Breckenridge High School athlete Donnie Funderburg (who was one of the finalists when Berry was hired in 2007) has re-applied for the head coach position.

“I’ve also had several other coaches express interest,” he said.

Gunter Rodriguez and Shade Boulware said they also will be resigning as high school coaches. Both said they have accepted coaching positions at Blooming Grove High School near Dallas. Rodriguez was the defensive coordinator for the 2007 football team, while Boulware was the offensive coordinator.

Boulware’s exit will mean his wife, Breckenridge Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Dani Boulware, also will be moving. She said she will remain with the Chamber through the end of June.

Berry said he and his wife, Alicia, and their three children will be moving and that he is looking for another coaching position.

“You’ve got some good people in this town,” he said.

Funderburg would be good. He was great as an assistant coach with the team, and a lot of people wanted him last go round. After not getting, he went and either did qb coach or OC (kao, you know specifics?) at Lake Travis High, and well, you know how that turned out!

Don't know who else would apply, but I'd call him a frontrunner.

RedWhiteBlue
05-12-2008, 03:55 PM
Does O'Dell coach anything? And how well does that work with him just as the AD?

BreckTxLonghorn
05-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Does O'Dell coach anything? And how well does that work with him just as the AD?

O'Dell was an assistant during the Dodson era, and left before it ended to be a principal or asst. principal at a school in Waco. Came back and got offered the AD position in the process (he may have already been here when it was offered).

From what I've heard, he's great at AD. The only thing having a combo AD/HC in Breck does is allow the school to pay the coach more money. Ultimately, though, its more stress and more complaints. Obviously, the HC has a vested interest in football, and even when its played fair people see the HC as AD, and automatically assume everything he does is biased. This keeps the other sports a little more level as the AD can be anywhere and not have to worry about practice.

RedWhiteBlue
05-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I wondered how that worked out. I had heard about that situation at bigger schools, but it is unusual for schools at our size and smaller (or maybe not).
I would think for the coaches that have been around a while and used to either being the AD or having been under a HC/AD this would be/ could be a difficult situation, but I may be way off base.