PDA

View Full Version : Hey, Ribeiro...there's no crying in hockey.

Sweetwater Red
05-12-2008, 08:41 AM
:doh:

:evillol: :devil: :evillol:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nhl/preview?gameId=280512009

DALLAS (AP) -- Really, it's hard to imagine that Chris Osgood is completely correct in his assessment.

"Just a little altercation that's over with now," the Detroit goalie insisted Sunday, a day after the Red Wings' 2-1 victory over the Dallas Stars was marred by an ugly ending.

But don't expect the fracas to be forgotten.

In the closing seconds of Game 2 of the Western Conference final, Osgood used the handle of his stick to poke Dallas' Mike Ribeiro, who responded from behind the net with a two-handed stick slash across the goalie's chest.

"He actually tries to do it. It's not like he accidentally hit me," Ribeiro said, defending himself Sunday after not being around for postgame interviews. "He kind of was bent down, raised up and clipped me in the face."

Ribeiro and Osgood were both fined undisclosed amounts Sunday by the NHL for their actions. But neither was suspended, so both will be on the ice Monday night for Game 3 when the best-of-seven series shifts to Dallas with the Red Wings holding a 2-0 lead.

Ribeiro said he was only retaliating.

"If he doesn't do that, I don't think I react, I have no reason to do what I did," Ribeiro said.

Osgood obviously disagreed, saying, "By no means was I trying to hit him in the face with my stick."

What can't be debated is that Dallas is already in a deep hole in its first conference final appearance since 2000. The Stars returned home with 2-0 series leads in each of the first two rounds of this year's playoffs, but wasn't able to duplicate that success against the top-seeded Red Wings.

Detroit will be going for a 3-0 series lead and its ninth straight win, which would be the franchise record for a single postseason. It would also be the longest in the NHL since Montreal won 11 in a row on way to winning the 1993 Stanley Cup.

"You're not going to rattle us," Detroit's Darren McCarty said. "We've got too much experience for that."

While the stage appears set for things to get even more feisty when the series resumes, Mike Modano believes the Stars can't be focused on what happened at the end of Game 2.

"That's probably the most you're going to see of it (Saturday) night, hopefully," Modano said. "They're not a very physical team by any means, but they do play the game. ... And for us to try to get into some street fight ain't going to work. You have to play the game of hockey and right now, they're doing it better than us."

The Red Wings did so in Game 2 without Johan Franzen, who was scratched from the lineup because of concussion-like symptoms. He's had recurring headaches since early in the previous series, and will miss Game 3 as well.

"It caught me by surprise," coach Mike Babcock said. "We'd love to have him. He's a good player. But we've got a good team and we can go on with or without him."

Dallas Drake twisted his knee late in the third period of Game 2, but came back to skate another shift for the Red Wings.

Stars forward Jere Lehtinen left Game 2 with a leg injury, which coach Dave Tippett said was not sustained on the play when he was hit by teammate Brenden Morrow. The coach described Lehtinen's injury as "just soft-tissue stuff" and said the team would see how he feels at the Monday morning skate.

After three power-play goals in the 4-1 series opener, Detroit had only one in Game 2.

"We took a step forward in getting ourselves back into the competitive issues of the series last game, but it will still have to go up another step," Tippett said. "I thought we had much better jump. Our legs looked like they were back to normal a little bit. Now we need some more execution."

Dallas is back home for the first time since its four-overtime, nearly 5 1/2-hour series-clinching victory over San Jose that ended in the early morning hours last Monday.

Txbroadcaster
05-12-2008, 08:43 AM
not sure where he was crying, he just said if Osgood does not hit him he does not react

and please tell me your not trying to say Osgood was innocent

Adidas410s
05-12-2008, 08:50 AM
I love this lame quote:

Osgood obviously disagreed, saying, "By no means was I trying to hit him in the face with my stick."

So you weren't trying to hit him in the face...but you WERE TRYING TO CHEAP SHOT HIM!!! :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
05-12-2008, 09:01 AM
Okay, now that I've drawn both of you out...where's crzy???

I still think it's going to be Detroit in six. If the Red Wings pull
out the game tonight..it's over in five.

crzyjournalist03
05-12-2008, 09:10 AM
I'm just glad to see Osgood survive what appeared to be a near-death experience.

I haven't seen a flop that bad since watching a European league basketball game.

Sweetwater Red
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I'm just glad to see Osgood survive what appeared to be a near-death experience.

I haven't seen a flop that bad since watching a European league basketball game.

I know...:dispntd:

After his reaction. I didn't know if he was hit with a stick or
the battery operated thermal boxers he wears had shorted
out.:doh:

crzyjournalist03
05-12-2008, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I know...:dispntd:

After his reaction. I didn't know if he was hit with a stick or
the battery operated thermal boxers he wears had shorted
out.:doh:

What I got a kick out of was watching him flop on the ground like he's taking his last dying breath, yet none of his teammates seemed that concerned. Sure, they went after Ribeiro, but it's almost like they figured, "Meh, he'll get up in a minute, and even if he does die, at least we have Hasek."

I'm afraid this series is turning into a war of attrition far too early...looks like Lehtinen will miss tonight for the Stars, and Franzen is still out for Detroit. Surely one of the Wings defensemen will need a day off to treat their osteoporosis soon right?

Sweetwater Red
05-12-2008, 09:26 AM
What I got a kick out of was watching him flop on the ground like he's taking his last dying breath, yet none of his teammates seemed that concerned. Sure, they went after Ribeiro, but it's almost like they figured, "Meh, he'll get up in a minute, and even if he does die, at least we have Hasek."

I'm afraid this series is turning into a war of attrition far too early...looks like Lehtinen will miss tonight for the Stars, and Franzen is still out for Detroit. Surely one of the Wings defensemen will need a day off to treat their osteoporosis soon right?

That is something I can't stand. Everytime a squirmish breaks
out the big guys skate over and mix it up. The little guys skate
over to the other teams little guys and they grab a hold of each
others jerseys.:mad:

Oh yeah! Leave Chelios out of this...osteoporosis... :rolleyes:

:D

crzyjournalist03
05-12-2008, 09:33 AM
That is something I can't stand. Everytime a squirmish breaks
out the big guys skate over and mix it up. The little guys skate
over to the other teams little guys and they grab a hold of each
others jerseys.:mad:

Oh yeah! Leave Chelios out of this...osteoporosis... :rolleyes:

:D

I'm warning you right now, if there ends up being an all-out brawl at any point in this series and the goalies get inolved, Osgood might as well go into retirement. Turco might seriously kill him.

Sweetwater Red
05-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Turco might seriously kill him.

That's okay. We still have Hasek.:D

If an all out brawl does happen, Dallas better hope it's not when
McCarty is on the ice. While Turco is pummeling Osgood, Darren
will be slapping Morrow around the ring.:thinking: :devil:

Macarthur
05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
Okay, now that I've drawn both of you out...where's crzy???

I still think it's going to be Detroit in six. If the Red Wings pull
out the game tonight..it's over in five.

I agree. Nothing prophetic here but if the Stars don't come out and play an inspired game tonight is is over.

Adidas410s
05-12-2008, 09:49 AM
I'm warning you right now, if there ends up being an all-out brawl at any point in this series and the goalies get inolved, Osgood might as well go into retirement. Turco might seriously kill him.
That's what I'm hoping for. We know we're into a street fight though if Modano comes within 5 feet of a swinging stick. And yes...I still think it'll be 6 games or so.

crzyjournalist03
05-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
That's what I'm hoping for. We know we're into a street fight though if Modano comes within 5 feet of a swinging stick. And yes...I still think it'll be 6 games or so.

Personally, I'd really like to see Krys Barch in the lineup. It seems that at least one Stars forward has been benched the last few games after the first period anyway to get extra shifts from guys like Modano and Richards, so I figure, if we're planning on playing one man short anyway, why not have that guy be someone who can take another player off the ice for the other team?