05-11-2008, 06:29 AM
Any score from Friday?

Antec
05-11-2008, 09:43 AM
Troy but I forgot the score

Antec
05-11-2008, 09:50 AM
http://www.temple-telegram.com/story/2008/05/10/49266

Troy rallies from 6-2 deficit to triumph over Danbury; Trojans face rival Salado next

Click Here to Place Your Ad!
Temple Daily Telegram Subscribe

Click Here to Place Your Ad!
Related Articles
Belton's comeback staved off by No. 8 Klein in season-ending 9-8 playoff loss May 11, 2008
Hard work pays: Driven Temple junior Reese ready for tripleheader at state May 10, 2008
Conners, Rosebud-Lott edged by Repka, East Bernard in 3-2, nine-inning duel May 10, 2008
Jackson strikes out 12 as No. 4 Salado beats Edna 5-2; Eagles face rival Troy next May 10, 2008
No. 8 Klein rides seven-run fourth, Purke's 15 strikeouts to 7-2 win over Belton in series opener May 9, 2008
No. 4 Salado uses huge offensive explosion to blast Edna 19-7 in opener May 9, 2008
by Craig Meister - Telegram Staff Writer
Published May 10, 2008

WEIMAR - Ryan Dach kept Troy’s season alive.

Moments later, he raced home with the winning run that sent the Trojans to the Class 2A Region IV quarterfinals to battle District 25-2A rival Salado.

With Troy trailing 6-2 in the sixth inning and down to its final out in the seventh, Dach singled home the tying run before the Trojans took advantage of the last of several Danbury miscues to beat the Panthers 7-6 Friday night in a wild, dramatic area-round baseball playoff game at Strickland Field.

“I told our kids in the bottom of the sixth, ‘This is what champions are made of,’” Troy coach Steve Sebesta said after his team allowed four runs in the top of the sixth to trail 6-2. “I told them I had confidence in them. The only question was how much confidence was going to be in that dugout. They showed how much confidence they have in each other by the way they played in the sixth and seventh.

“We’ve been talking the last two weeks about relying on each other and depending on each other and having confidence in each other and that showed through tonight.”

Troy (18-9) advanced to battle fourth-ranked Salado (25-5), which swept Edna, for the third time this season in next week’s regional quarterfinals. Salado, the 25-2A champion, routed Troy 20-2 before the Trojans rebounded with a 5-2 lightning-shortened victory.

With Danbury leading 6-5 going into the bottom of the seventh, Troy’s Trey Collier singled to right field on the first pitch.

“All my teammates were telling me to just relax and go get on base,” Collier said.

Jordan Hayes’ sacrifice bunt moved Collier to second and Dylan Sebek’s groundout advanced Collier to third with two outs.

Then, junior Dach stepped in and on a 2-1 pitch ripped a ball that ricocheted off pitcher Jake Deberry’s glove and trickled away for an infield single, allowing Collier to score the tying run.

“I was doing my best to put the ball in play,” Dach said.

After Dach stole second, Deberry walked Justin Gregory - who went 3-for-3 and reached base all five times - and intentionally walked Josh Fredrick to load the bases.

Zach Lynch laid off a 1-2 pitch and the ball squibbled away from catcher Dakota Sebesta, letting Dach race home for the winning run.

“Coach is always telling us, ‘We’ve been in this situation before. Just keep your head up and rely and depend on each other,’” Dach said. “And that’s what we did.”

What started out as a pitching duel between Troy’s Jake McMurtry and Danbury’s Scott Zimmerle quickly turned into a game decided by defensive execution.

The Trojans tied the game at 2 in the fifth when Zimmerle fielded a ground ball but overthrew first base, allowing Dach to score.

In the sixth, a backpedaling Lynch dropped a fly ball behind second base and threw wildly to third, allowing Zimmerle to score and give the Panthers a 3-2 lead. Garrett Zimmerle then doubled home two runs to give Danbury a 6-2 lead.

In the bottom of the sixth, Scott Zimmerle let the Trojans back in the game. He overthrew first base for the second time, walked Dach and threw a wild pitch to allow Hayes to score to trim the lead to 6-3. A passed ball by Sebesta allowed Sebek to score before Fredrick’s RBI single closed the gap to 6-5 heading into the final frame.

“We just had to hang in there and play as best as we could,” Collier said. “That’s a great team, but we play in a great district so we were ready for it."

Now, the Trojans need to get ready for the rubber match against Salado.

“We’re familiar with their pitching, which is a plus, and most important is our kids are playing with confidence,” Steve Sebesta said. “Our sophomores have grown a lot since the last time we played them."

cmeister@temple-telegram.com
« Back to Top Stories