PDA

View Full Version : Breckenridge: 5 Titles in 9 Years

WOS87
05-10-2008, 11:52 PM
This makes 4 out of the 6 programs in the new 2-3A that I've managed to research back 80 years or more....

Breckenridge really does have one of the most amazing histories in all of Texas high school football history.
They ended 61 out of 87 seasons with a winning record
They've maintained an all-time winning percentage of over 60% for over 80 years now
The have the 8th most playoff appearances in the state with 38
They were only the 3rd program ever to win 6 State Titles after Waco and Abilene
They have advanced to the state quarterfinals 18 times
They have had fifteen 10-win seasons

And what I believe still stands as a one-of-a-kind achievement, they still are the only team to beat an eventual state champ in the largest classification while competing in a lower classification, and they did it twice! In both 1954 and 1958 3A Breckenridge could lay strong claims as being the best team in the state despite being in a smaller classification since they won the 3A Championship both years AND beat eventual 4A Champ Abilene in 1954 and eventual 4A Champ Wichita Falls in 1958.

http://idisk.mac.com/cboehme69-Public/thsf/b/breckenridge.gif

WOS87
05-11-2008, 08:59 AM
I just realized, Breckenridge is only 10 wins away from hitting win #600. There are only 18 programs in the state with 590 wins or more and 3 out of those 18 are in District 2-3A.

Programs that have a mathematical chance of hitting 600 wins next season: (the first 4 are almost guaranteed to do it but after that, Vernon and Abilene probably have the best chance)

Tyler John Tyler - 599 wins
Groveton - 599 wins
Cameron Yoe - 598 wins
Longview - 597 wins
Breckenridge - 590 wins
Bay City - 589 wins
Vernon - 589 wins
Abilene - 588 wins
El Campo - 584 wins
Ballinger - 584 wins

Matthew328
05-11-2008, 11:50 AM
Lots of stories about Breckenridge back in that day....heard they used to bring kids in from fort worth and move em out there to play for em....lot less regulation back then

wildstangs
05-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Lots of stories about Breckenridge back in that day....heard they used to bring kids in from fort worth and move em out there to play for em....lot less regulation back then

That special the DMN did on High School football about 8 or 9 years ago had a wonderful story about Breckenridge using its oil connections to recruit players from all over the state.

nobogey72
05-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
That special the DMN did on High School football about 8 or 9 years ago had a wonderful story about Breckenridge using its oil connections to recruit players from all over the state.

I don't think Breckenridge was alone in the recruiting kids game. There was a huge oil boom though in the Breck. area back then. Odessa Permian was always accused of doing that also. Abilene High took it's share of shots in that area as did Wichita Falls and many, many others. I think most of the recruiting has stopped now maybe with the exception of Celina and SLC and Wylie.:D :D :D

BILLYFRED0000
05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes we still recruit. Those elementary kids that keep movin in look sooooo good and run those really fast 10 second forties that we just keep going to the nurseries at the hospital lookin for prospects.