PDA

View Full Version : SOFTBALL: Region semi-finals (all regions)

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 07:21 PM
REGION I:

LEVELLAND (24-8-1) VS. BURKBURNETT (29-4-2)
Game 1: Burkburnett 4 Levelland 0
Game 2: Burkburnett 1 Levelland 0
BURKBURNETT ADVANCES

ANDREWS (24-10-1) VS. CANYON (30-10)
Game 1: Andrews 4 Canyon 1
Game 2: Andrews 5 Canyon 1
ANDREWS ADVANCES

REGION II:

FRISCO WAKELAND (20-6-1) VS. TEXARKANA LIBERTY-EYLAU (21-4-2)
Game 1: Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 1 Frisco Wakeland 0 (9 innings)
Game 2: Texarkana Liberty-Eylau 8 Frisco Wakeland 1
TEXARKANA LIBERTY-EYLAU ADVANCES

ROYSE CITY (27-7) VS. LONGVIEW SPRING HILL (27-11-1)
Game 1: Longview Spring Hill 1 Royse City 0
Game 2: Royse City 8 Longview Spring Hill 1
Game 3: Longview Spring Hill 6 Royse City 1
LONGVIEW SPRING HILL ADVANCES

REGION III:

HUNTINGTON VS. WEST COLUMBIA (27-9)
ONE GAME: Huntington 1 West Columbia 0
HUNTINGTON ADVANCES

ROBINSON (29-5) VS. NEEDVILLE (27-5)
ONE GAME: Needville 4 Robinson 0
NEEDVILLE ADVANCES

REGION IV:

SINTON (26-6) VS. LA VERNIA
Game 1: Sinton 5 La Vernia 2
Game 2: La Vernia 6 Sinton 1
Game 3: La Vernia 7 Sinton 4
LA VERNIA ADVANCES

MEDINA VALLEY (31-7) VS. YOAKUM (22-6)
Game 1: Medina Valley 4 Yoakum 3
Game 2: Medina Valley 12 Yoakum 2
MEDINA VALLEY ADVANCES

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 10:03 PM
How the top 10 fared in Qtr final Rounds:

Region I teams in GREEN
Region II teams in RED
Region III teams in BLUE
Region IV teams in YELLOW

1. Splendora eliminated by West Columbia
2. Burkburnett defeated Graham
3. Medina Valley defeated Wimberley
4. Huntington defeated Lufkin Hudson
5. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau defeated Bullard
6. Robinson defeated Lorena
7. Wills Point eliminated by Wakeland Frisco
8. Bullard eliminated by #5 TLE
9. Celina eliminated by Royse City
10. Sinton defeated Palacios

4 teams eliminated over the weekend.

pirate4state
05-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Region Qtr-Final info HERE (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81792)

pirate4state
05-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Region IV complete!

Phil C
05-12-2008, 03:09 PM
I hope that the Sinton games don't use Victoria umpires or we are in extra trouble.

txkmom
05-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Hopefully you won't get the lady at first base who laughed and visited with the men hanging over the RF fence during most of our game. lol

pirate4state
05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by txkmom
Hopefully you won't get the lady at first base who laughed and visited with the men hanging over the RF fence during most of our game. lol :eek: :eek: wow lol

pirate4state
05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Conference 3A

1. Burkburnett vs. #7 Levelland
2. Medina Valley vs. unranked Yoakum
3. Huntington vs. #8 West Columbia
4. Texarkana Liberty-Eylau vs. unranked Frisco Wakeland
5. Robinson vs. #9 Needville
6. Sinton vs. unranked La Vernia
7. Levelland vs. #1 Burkburnett
8. West Columbia vs. #3 Huntington
9. Needville vs. #5 Robinson
10. Andrews vs. unranked Canyon

Good Luck Ladies!!!

18handicap
05-12-2008, 08:09 PM
1. The Victoria umpires are the WORST in the state. Take that from a coach who has coached over 600 high school games.
2. There are 16 teams left -- there should be top 16 poll. He says that he doesn't get paid to do this. I know that he does.

pirate4state
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
All regions complete. Missing records for Huntington & La Vernia. If anyone knows what they are please let me know. Thanks!

Phil C
05-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
1. The Victoria umpires are the WORST in the state. Take that from a coach who has coached over 600 high school games.
2. There are 16 teams left -- there should be top 16 poll. He says that he doesn't get paid to do this. I know that he does.

Thank you for confirming what I said 18! It would be a shame that this far in the playoffs that there are not enough competent, impartial umpires available.

pirate4state
05-16-2008, 12:12 AM
Game results updated

If you will be at a game tomorrow and can send me an update, via text, please send me a PM.

Thanks.

EnjoyingLife
05-16-2008, 06:30 AM
ttt

18handicap
05-16-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm the administrator at the Robinson vs. Needville game at A&M Consolidated. Right now, we are still iffy about field conditions. The infield was covered and is fine. The outfield is still wet. Need sun and wind!! The alternate plan is to play at 11:00 in the morning at AMC. By then, the field will be in top shape. I feel it will be ready by 8:00 tonight. I hope.

18handicap
05-16-2008, 01:36 PM
The sun has been out since 9:00 am and the wind is blowing. The grass at the warning track is still a little wet, but we will start the game here ON TIME!! I will update!

pirate4state
05-16-2008, 02:27 PM
The sun has been out since 9:00 am and the wind is blowing. The grass at the warning track is still a little wet, but we will start the game here ON TIME!! I will update!

:2thumbsup

I'll send you updates of our game. I can't believe I didn't get some random strangers # last night so they could keep me posted on game 2 of MV/Yoakum. LOL :doh:

scrub c
05-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Columbia vs Huntington 0-0 top of 3rd

scrub c
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
0-0 bottom of 4th Huntington batting.

Columbia has had 2 base runners,
Huntington has had 3.

Pitching Duel...

scrub c
05-16-2008, 08:23 PM
0-0 bottom 5th

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
0-0 bottom 5th
Wow! :eek:

scrub c
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
top of the 7th 0-0 ....

scrub c
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Huntington defeats Columbia 1-0

Great Season Lady Necks

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Great Season Lady Necks
Close game!

Reds fan
05-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Heck of a game.... How did Huntington score run?

18handicap
05-16-2008, 09:20 PM
on a bunt....that's all I've heard. We have a HUGE crowd at A&M Consolidated.

zebrablue2
05-16-2008, 10:05 PM

Great Season Lady Necks

good season lady necks.

pirate4state
05-17-2008, 12:36 AM
Need a Canyon score! Where is purplepride2006???

scrub c
05-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Heck of a game.... How did Huntington score run?

Looks like she almost struck out...

Columbia bows out of playoffs in close one
By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published May 17, 2008
MAGNOLIA — The ball traveled just a couple of feet off Presley Modisette’s bat, but that was far enough to score Amanda Burnett from third base for the winning run as Huntington eliminated the Columbia Lady ’Necks 1-0 Friday night in the Region III semifinal one-game playoff at Magnolia High School.

It was an auspicious ending to a game that had few twists and turns as pitching dominated the night.

“That is what we told the girls, it wasn’t the way we expected it to end,” Columbia softball coach Shelly Murphy said. “I think he (assistant Stephen Murphy) said it perfect, you’d almost rather get beat off a ball off the wall than a ball that hits 2 foot in front of home.

Modisette’s full swing was on a 1-2 count as Burnett reached after being hit by Columbia’s Cami Newsome with one out in the bottom of the seventh.

“That is tough because it is one of the last things that you expect, and we just weren’t ready for it,” Murphy said. “We got caught watching is what we did.”

Murphy was referring to sophomore catcher Kayla Avirett, who did not make a move as Newsome charged the ball.

“She just froze, and it is almost like she was thinking that we were going to get the out at home, but we don’t need that out — we needed the out at first,” Murphy said.

“But it is just one of those things that happens and it isn’t what you expect.”

Columbia (29-8) ends its season while the Lady Devilettes (27-3-1) will head into the region final against Needville or Waco Robinson, a game that was being played in College Station on Friday night.

The Lady ’Necks were stymied at the plate by sophomore Carlie Thomas, who allowed just one hit and had 13 strikeouts.

“Huntington is a very tough ball club — the pitcher did a very nice job keeping us off balance,” Murphy said. “She’s been doing that all year so we knew going in that they were pitcher-driven.”

The only hit was an infield shot off Thomas in the second frame by Natalie Locke. But Locke was caught stealing second, thus ending Columbia’s only real threat of the ball game.

Columbia did get leadoff hitter Shelby Poff on base in the fourth off an error by the third baseman. But Thomas was just too tough on the Lady ’Necks as she got a groundout that moved Poff to second, then consecutive strikeouts on Newsome and Natalie Rodriguez to leave Poff standing at second base.

It also ended a great four-year career for Newsome, who had 11 strikeouts and allowed just three hits in the contest. Newsome was in the circle when Columbia won the 2006 Class 3A state championship.

“That is as nervous as I’ve seen Cami in four years, and early on she was real nervous but calmed down and pitched a good game,” Murphy said. “It was so uncharecteristic of Cami, but she ended up pitching a nice game.”

Necks_Fan
05-17-2008, 11:25 AM
on a bunt....that's all I've heard. We have a HUGE crowd at A&M Consolidated. The batter swung full out and it dribbled up to the pitcher. She threw it home for the tag out at the plate and the catcher wasn't there and the ball went to the backstop and the runner on 3rd scored. 1-0 Final.

flowerchick
05-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Awesome season Lady Necks!!!! Cami you are awesome and it was a pleasure to watch you play and Natalie Locke #9 you were awesome also. We love you and hope you have a great college season. Cami give um heck in Arkansas!! It was a great ride, some silver some gold some tears.... Again thanks to you girls and the team for a great Senior season. You are the BEST!!!

txkmom
05-17-2008, 06:24 PM
REGION II: Spring Hill advances to meet Liberty Eylau in regional finals next week

GAME 1:
Longview Spring Hill 1
Royse City 0

GAME 2:
Royse City 7
Longview Spring Hill 1

Game 3:
Longview Spring Hill 6
Royse City 1

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 12:10 AM
Only missing scores from today's Region I action. Anyone have any info?

kepdawg
05-18-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Only missing scores from today's Region I action. Anyone have any info?

Burk 1-0

Andrews 5-1

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Softball Playoffs
Canyon, Clarendon, WT High ousted in regional semifinals
Amarillo Globe-News

A three-run fifth inning ignited Andrews to a 5-1 victory against Canyon in Game 2 of a Region I-3A softball semifinal series Saturday afternoon at Lubbock for a berth in the Region I-3A championship.

Andrews (26-10-1) plays Burkburnett, which swept Levelland in two games in the other semifinal series, for a berth at the state tournament.

Canyon finished 30-12.

"The kids never gave up. They came to work every day to get better, and we got better every game to the end," Canyon coach Brian Cronk said.

The Lady Eagles led 1-0 on catcher Aubrey Dyer's infield single in the third inning. But in the fifth, Andrews put two runners on, and Cassie Cornejo singled. The ball got by two Canyon outfielders, who slipped, Cronk said, and the hit turned into a three-run play.

Canyon got runners to second and third to start the fifth but was unable to score.

Andrews 000 030 2 - 5 8 0 Canyon 001 000 0 - 1 4 3

Crystal Caddell and Emily Falcon. Ashley Nolan and Aubrey Dyer. W-Caddell. L-Nolan (26-6). 2B-A: Erin Hogan, Kelsei Lozano. Records: Canyon 30-12, Andrews 26-10-1.

story link (http://www.amarillo.com/stories/051808/hss_10358974.shtml)

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Burkburnett girls gain regional finals
Jared Fields, For the Times Record News
Sunday, May 18, 2008

ABILENE, Texas — Most pitchers complete one-hitters feeling ecstatic. Carrie Harvey felt frustrated, disappointed and even a bit neurotic.

The Burkburnett pitcher said she was trying anything to record her first no-hitter after coming close many times before.

“Isn’t that terrible? Two hits in two games, that’s really not that bad, but I’m never gonna be satisfied,” Harvey said. “Maybe if I would have got that no-hitter I still would have been mad because I walked that girl.”

Harvey (22-3-2) recorded 15 strikeouts, allowing a hit and a walk in the Lady Bulldogs’ 1-0 win against the Levelland Loboettes.

Harvey once again let her one-hitter slip away as she needed just one more out.

“She’s got so close to a no-hitter, some perfect games, they’re really frustrating her,” Burkburnett coach Allen Hennan said. “She’d like to get that perfect game.”

Coming to grips with her performance this weekend, Harvey said she’ll save the perfect game for state.

“I was kinda schitzing out. I was up there actually trying to breathe before I went up there so I wouldn’t be too psycho out there,” Harvey said. “I don’t know what was wrong with me.”

Burkburnett (32-5-2) advances to the Region I finals where it will face Andrews, which swept Canyon, 4-1 and 5-1.

The Lady Bulldogs couldn’t get any runs across until the sixth when Harvey hit a one-out double to left-center field and advanced to third on a bad throw from the left-fielder.

Ciara Clampitt hit a grounder back to Levelland pitcher Kat Johnson, but Kat checked Harvey back with a throw to third, allowing Clampitt to reach first.

Dalin Dehart then took a pitch off her helmet to load the bases for Etta Forrestal. Forrestal grounded out to second, but scored Harvey from third for the game’s only score.

“I knew with the girls coming up that I would score because we have great hitters,” said Harvey, who finished the series with 33 strikeouts, one walk, two hits and batted 2-6 with a run scored.

Levelland’s Johnson, who finishes the season with the same record as her team at 23-11, threw a solid game herself, allowing four hits with nine strikeouts while her defense made four errors.

“That’s just a good pitcher and they kept us off balance. She did a good job against us,” Hennan said. “We’re just happy and lucky to come out with a win.”

Burkburnett didn’t capitalize on earlier opportunities to score, and Hennan said he will focus on the mental aspect of the game this week in practice before the regional finals.

“We’re gonna go back a little bit and work on a couple of things mentally more than anything,” Hennan said. “We’ve got a lot of young kids and we’ve got some veterans, too, so you know, we’re peaking at the right time, playing good ball.”

story link (http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/2008/may/18/burkburnett-girls-gain-regional-finals/)

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:15 AM
story link, Thursday's win (http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/localsports/2008/05/16/region-ii-3a-softball-semifinal-l-e-side-38.php)

story link, Friday's win (http://www.texarkanagazette.com/news/localsports/2008/05/17/texas-softball-playoffs-lady-leopards-bl-64.php)

You need a paid subscription to read the rest of the articles. :(

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Williams, Sanders spark Spring Hill to Game 3 victory
By JOE HALE

Sunday, May 18, 2008

SULPHUR SPRINGS — Kayla Williams scattered three hits and Shannon Sanders hit a grand slam, leading Spring Hill to a 6-1 win over Royse City in the deciding game of a best-of-three Class 3A, Region II semifinal softball series Saturday.

Spring Hill won the first game of the series 1-0 in Lindale Thursday, but Royse City forced a Game 3 by evening the series at 1-1 with a 7-1 victory in Game 2 Saturday.

Sanders went 2-for-3 in the deciding game, adding a run-scoring sacrifice fly to give the freshman second baseman five of the six RBIs in the game — and 55 for the season — as the Lady Panthers (29-12-1) reach the regional finals for the first time in school history.

Williams finished 3-for-3 with an RBI in the finale, bringing her series offensive numbers to 8-for-10 with two RBIs. In the circle she was just as formidable, allowing one run on just three hits. Two of Royse City's hits came in the first inning and Shelby Pille's was an infield single. She struck out seven, walked two and hit a batter in improving to 25-10 for the season.

"Our girls did a great job," said Spring Hill coach Mark Comfort. "Kayla, Shannon, just all of them played really well and responded when we needed them to."

Williams kept the Lady Bulldogs, who finish their season with a 28-9 record, off balance, retiring 14 in a row between the end of the second inning and a one-out walk in the seventh. Alicia Pille (20-6), Royse City's standout freshman right-hander, shouldered the loss, allowing six runs on nine hits. She struck out five and walked two.

Ashley Campbell followed Williams and Sanders, going 2-for-3 and scoring twice, One of her two hits was a triple to lead off a two-run fourth inning as the Lady Panthers stretched their lead to six. Lindsey Harding and Sha' McDowell also had hits for the Lady Panthers.

GAME 2

Pille struck out 11 batters and scattered three hits as Royse City evened the best-of-three series at a game apiece with a 7-1 decision over the Lady Panthers. All eight runs in the contest were unearned as Spring Hill committed five errors and Royse City committed two.

Williams suffered the loss, working four innings in the circle. She allowed three runs on two hits. She struck out four and walked one.

Royse City made the most of two singles and two Spring Hill errors to take a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the third inning. Camille Flores reached on an error to get things started. Before the half inning was history, a Sarah Stutts single and a Devanni Harrison sacrifice fly to right field gave the Lady Bulldogs their first lead of the series. Stutts single was to short right field and kept the bases loaded.

Spring Hill threatened, loading the bases in the top of the fifth inning, but Sanders popped out to left fielder Ashley Heinaman.

Comfort elected to make some changes and moved shorstop Campbell to the circle for the final two innings and Williams to left field.

The Lady Bulldogs extended their lead with four unearned runs in the fifth inning, this time capitalizing on a hit by Dezy Arredondo coupled with three Spring Hill errors and what was ruled an illegal pitch.

Spring Hill scored its run in the seventh inning, capitalizing on two Lady Bulldog errors.

In four innings, Williams gave up two hits, struck out four and walked one.

Notable

Pille struck out the first nine batters she faced starting Game 2.

story link (http://www.news-journal.com/search/content/sports/stories/05182008_shsoftball.html)

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Pitching, defense put Huntington on verge of another trip to state

By JOSH HAVARD
The Lufkin Daily News

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pitching and defense can take a team a long way in the playoffs. For the Huntington Devilettes, that combination, combined with some timely hitting, has taken them to the verge of the state tournament for the second straight season.

The latest example came on Friday night as Carlie Thomas and the Devilettes came up with their third straight shutout in the postseason.

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/00/29/74/image_7074290.jpg
Huntington's Caitlyn Ivy dives
back into first during regional semifinal
action in Magnolia Friday night.
Joel Andrews/The Lufkin Daily News

However, the Devilettes could not celebrate until Presley Modisette's infield single scored Amanda Burnett to send them past the Columbia Lady Necks and into the regional final.

Friday's win followed a pattern of success the Devilettes have had in the playoffs. Huntington's bats came alive late for all three runs in a 3-0 win in the playoff opener against Gatesville.

The Devilettes scored a sixth-inning run to take down Hudson then waited until the seventh inning to eliminate Columbia.

Huntington's Thomas has been a major key to the team's success. After leading the team to the state tournament as a freshman, she has only gotten better as a sophomore.

Thomas has been at her best in the playoffs where she has thrown 21 scoreless innings, while allowing a total of three hits. She has 41 strikeouts for a ratio of almost two strikeouts per inning.

Huntington's defense has also been strong behind her when called upon to make the key plays.

While the pitching and defense has been phenomenal for Huntington, the Devilettes have gotten key hits from different parts of the lineup. Huntington has not lit up the scoreboard as it did throughout the season, but it has come up with the key hits, an element that is vital when scoring is at a premium in the postseason.

Brittney Batten came up with a two-run shot to lift Huntington's offense in the playoff opener, and Molly Ellington provided the power in the second round.

On Friday night, the long ball never came for Huntington. But the offense did enough as Modisette came through with the game-winning RBI infield single just in time for the Devilettes to avoid extra innings.

Now the only team standing in Huntington's path for another berth in the state tournament is Needville. The Lady Jays finished in second place in District 24-3A behind Columbia.

Needville promises to be yet another challenging opponent. The Lady Jays will bring a 28-5 record into this week's regional final. Needville was a 4-0 winner over Waco Robinson on Friday night.

The Devilettes entered the week as the No. 3 team in the state, while Needville comes in at No. 9.

The time and site for this week's playoff action will be announced later this week.

story link (http://www.lufkindailynews.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2008/05/18/huntington.html)

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Needville pitcher confounds Robinson in regional semis

Saturday, May 17, 2008

By Chad Conine

Tribune-Herald staff writer

COLLEGE STATION — The Robinson softball team had one game to figure out Needville ace pitcher Cally Falls.

But Falls never faltered.

The Lady Jays pitcher struck out 17 Robinson batters and Needville used a series of seeing-eye hits to down Robinson, 4-0, Friday night in a Class 3A regional semifinal at A&M Consolidated’s Lady Tiger Field.

“She made us fish,” Robinson coach Bobby Cervenka said. “She’s a different style. She doesn’t throw very hard, but she mixed a riseball, a curve in on our hands and a screwball.”

Robinson (29-6), which posted a perfect 10-0 record to win District 17-3A, lost in the regional semifinals for the third consecutive season. This time, it came in a one-game, winner-take-all set when the Rockettes seemed to be figuring out the diminutive Lady Jays’ ace late in the game.

Needville advances to the 3A Region III final to play the Huntington-West Columbia winner next week.

Of the Lady Jays’ first four hits, which it used along with a walk and an error to build a 4-0 lead by the end of the second inning, three of them succeeded more on placement than power.

But Needville stung Robinson with the one hard hit in that bunch.

Lady Jays No. 2 batter Alyssa Rodriguez cranked an 0-1 offering from Robinson starter Hannah White to the base of the fence at the left-field line. Rodriguez’s double drove in Becca Rademacher from first to boost the Needville lead to four runs.

Needville tacked on three more seeing-eye hits in the top of the third, but White pitched out of a jam without giving up a run in the inning.

Still, the damage was done with Falls sitting down Rockettes batters one after another.

Falls, a sophomore, struck out seven of the first eight batters she faced and sent a couple of Robinson batters home with three strikeouts on the night.

Rockettes shortstop Maria Vicinais finally poked a Falls offering with two out in the top of the seventh.

Vicinais slammed a 2-0 pitch that seemed to be on its way out of the park on a line drive.

But the ball hit the yellow tubing at the top of the fence at Lady Tiger field. It bounced straight up, then came down in the park.

Vicinais reached second for a double, but she was stranded there when Falls struck out Casidy Wegwerth for the final out.

story link (http://www.wacotrib.com/prep/content/sports/highschools/stories/2008/05/17/05172008wacrobinson.html)

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Bears rampage to win over Pirates
By Rudy Rivera
Caller-Times
Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Sinton Pirates had several opportunities to put away La Vernia, but failed to do so and it cost them as they dropped two games to the Bears 6-1 and 7-4 on Saturday and were eliminated from the Class 3A playoffs in Victoria.

La Vernia now takes on the defending state champ, Medina Valley next week for the Region IV championship.

The Lady Pirates had their chances early on in game two of the series, stranding five runners in the first two innings. Jessica Gutierrez and Kayla Dunlap each walked in the first, Valerie May was hit by a pitch to load the bases, but Priscilla Perez fouled out to end the threat and the bases remained full.

La Vernia opened the scoring in the first when Sinton pitcher Kirsten Shedd hit leadoff hitter Brittany Skeleton with a pitch, she was then sacrificed to second and scored when Jessica Dobbins singled to left, handing La Vernia a 1-0 lead.

Sinton came back to tie the game in their half of the second, Alex Zepeda singled to left and moved to second when Caitlin "Coco" Cave sacrificed her over. Zepeda moved to third on a passed ball and scored when Kacee Castillo, who finished with three hits, reached on an infield hit, making the score 1-1 in the second frame, but Sinton left two more runners on base.

Shedd and Lady Bear pitcher Lauren Grun then took control of the contest, both tossing blanks at their opposing team.

Grun retired 15 of the final 18 batters she faced and struck out nine Pirates from the third inning on. Meanwhile Shedd retired the same, 15 of 18 after the first inning and struck out seven, but the Bears caught up with Shedd in the top of the seventh with the game tied 1-1.

With one out Lauren Prater singled and crossed the plate when Lauren Ainsley picked up her only hit of the game and it was costly. Ainsley hit a Shedd 1-2 pitch over the left field fence to hand La Vernia a 3-1 margin, but the bleeding had only just begun for Shedd and the rest of her teammates.

The Lady Bears went on to score three more times in the seventh, two after a Dobbins double that plated both Ashley Green and Aly Mikes as La Vernia finished the inning with five runs and six hits.

In Game 3 the Lady Pirates jumped to a quick lead, scoring three times in the top of the first. With one out Jessica Gutierrez walked and Shedd followed with a base hit, Valerie May then hit a double to left field, scoring both Gutierrez and Shedd. La Vernia committed their first error of the day on the play and it allowed May to come all the way around and also score.

Meanwhile Sara Barrera, who started the third game for Sinton, was cruising along until La Vernia tacked on three runs in the third. A lead-off double by Lauren Ainsley started things off, the Bears then followed with three consecutive singles off Barrera to pull within 4-3.

Barrera gave way to Shedd in the fourth and she promptly surrendered two base-hits in the fourth, but she got out of the jam.

Shedd was no so fortunate in the fifth as La Vernia put together five hits, including a two-run double by Lauren Prater, to score four times and take a 7-4 lead.

Meanwhile Ainsley, who lost Game 1 of the series, came into relieve Game 2 winner Lauren Grun in the third and she silenced Pirates' bats. Ainsley retired 13 of the 15 batters she faced, finishing with six strikeouts to pickup the victory.

story link (http://www.caller.com/news/2008/may/18/bears-rampage-to-win-over-pirates/)

3afan
05-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Spring Hill beats Royse City 2 games to 1

pirate4state
05-18-2008, 09:35 AM
High School Softball: Medina Valley pounds Yoakum to take sweep

Web Posted: 05/17/2008 12:42 AM CDT

By Pat Turner
Special to the Express-News

Thursday night, Medina Valley needed two seventh-inning runs to pull out a Game 1 victory over Yoakum.

In Game 2, the Panthers struck early and often.

Medina Valley's 15-hit attack produced a 12-2 five-inning victory Friday night at Steele High School, ending the best-of-3 Class 3A Region IV semifinal series.

The Panthers, who rallied for a 4-3 victory in the first game, took charge with a six-run outburst in the third inning.

Timely hits came throughout the lineup, with Kristyn Kempf leading the way with a 2-for-3 showing and three RBIs.

Because of the sweep, the defending 3A champions are one round away from returning to the state tournament. Medina Valley (33-7) plays Sinton or La Vernia in next week's Region IV finals.

“I felt we might scratch a few runs in the first two innings, but I never dreamed we would get six in the third,” Medina Valley coach Wade Womack said. “We had girls coming through for us that didn't have a very good night in the first game.”

The Panthers got their momentum with three runs in the first inning.

Sam Paniagua reached with a single and Mysia Proctor followed with a bunt single.

After Jenna Haby put a run-scoring single up the middle, Kempf posted a two-run single.

Kempf added a run-scoring single in the third, as did Amanda Hilbig and Paniagua. The frame's big hit, a two-run triple, came from Andi Schmit.

Medina Valley added three runs in the fourth. Becca Kwapich, who had a double during the six-run third, slapped an RBI triple to right, then scored on Hilbig's single. A Yoakum throwing error plated Hilbig.

Although the Panthers had a comfortable advantage early, Womack made sure that intensity remained intact.

From the scouting report, the Medina Valley coach knew Yoakum (22-9) had the batting strength to stage a rally.

“The big inning takes away some of the pressure, but that at the same time my biggest fear is we were going to relax and Yoakum would have a big inning,” Womack said. “We played good defense and played well. Our team is built around our defense and it's been solid through the playoffs.”

Proctor scattered six hits, with Yoakum's only runs coming in the third and fourth innings. Dalena Hagan scored on a wild pitch after opening the third with a single. Stephanie Bradley added a lead-off home run in the fourth.

The Panthers' biggest defensive play came from third baseman Crystal Keller, who killed a Yoakum threat in the second by spearing a line drive and throwing to first for the double play.

sports@express-news.net

story link (http://www.sagametime.com/web/district.html?site=default&tpl=url&url=http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA051708.SOFMedinaValleyYoakum.en.3e9a27e.html)