PDA

View Full Version : West Columbia/Splendora SB

3aSoftball4Mom
05-09-2008, 09:56 PM
Splendora wins with a walk off homerun in the bottom of 7th.
2-1
Good luck tomorrow Lady Necks and Coach Murphy and Murphy!

g$$
05-10-2008, 01:21 AM
Wow, that's a tough one to swallow. Good luck to WC tomorrow, one at a time & see what happens.

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 10:05 AM
I was at the game and Cami pitched her ass off last night.

It was 1-0 Wc until the bottom of the 6th when Splendora tied the game on a double after Cami issued the walk.

In the bottom of the 7th, after 2 outs, the opposing pitcher rocked one to left center and ended the game in walk off fashion.

Very dissapointing loss for the Lady Necks as they stranded the bases loaded 2 times, had 1st and 3rd with no one out, stranded that, and Kiarra Bonner also got thrown at home plate in the first inning after a bases loaded single to left.

Very dissapointing as I believe Splendora was out played as well as out fanned.

We had a huge crowd for a sotball game. Very nice to see the people show.:clap:

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 10:20 AM
I wondered if Kiara was playing today. Heard her name mentioned at the track meet.

Tough loss for the Lady Necks. Good luck today!

Reds fan
05-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Going to be a very tough job to take 2 from Splendora today.... What kind of pitching depth do WC and Splendora have?

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Going to be a very tough job to take 2 from Splendora today.... What kind of pitching depth do WC and Splendora have? Wc has an ace pitcher in Cami Newsome and a legit backup but I doubt Parker will see game time.

If it goes 3 games, I expect Cami to pitch the 2nd and 3rd as well.

I have no idea how much depth Splendora has.

scrub c
05-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Go get em Lady Necks.

NEVER GIVE UP !!!

Reds fan
05-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Wc has an ace pitcher in Cami Newsome and a legit backup but I doubt Parker will see game time.

If it goes 3 games, I expect Cami to pitch the 2nd and 3rd as well.

I have no idea how much depth Splendora has.

If Loge is the only ace Splendora has then pitching should remain even. It will all come down to defense and hitting. Two good pitchers going in the heat of the afternoon of the first game today will be draining. Just as last night it comes down to which team makes the mistake.

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Game 2 is about to start right? I couldn't make it to this one so I'm looking for updates from somebody.

That's yall's cue. Somebody fill me in.

g$$
05-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Going to be a very tough job to take 2 from Splendora today.... What kind of pitching depth do WC and Splendora have?

Since it's softball, I'm betting both teams ride 1 arm, heat or not (2nd game is at 5:00 PM though). Very few teams have 2 they trust in playoff games. I guarantee you WC will pitch Cami & see what happens. Bailey Watts transferred or she would be a capable alternative. This time of year, you dance with who brung ya! Cami pitched them to a State Title as a sophomore, & lost in Finals as a freshman.

Good luck WC.

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Since it's softball, I'm betting both teams ride 1 arm, heat or not (2nd game is at 5:00 PM though). Very few teams have 2 they trust in playoff games. I guarantee you WC will pitch Cami & see what happens. Bailey Watts transferred or she would be a capable alternative. This time of year, you dance with who brung ya! Cami pitched them to a State Title as a sophomore, & lost in Finals as a freshman.

Good luck WC. Cami is more Finesse and Bailey was more of a power pitcher.

They were equally talented but cami got seniority and since they do not have her to rotate anymore, Cami should and will pitch all 3, because we are going to win game 2.

g$$
05-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Cami is more Finesse and Bailey was more of a power pitcher.

They were equally talented but cami got seniority and since they do not have her to rotate anymore, Cami should and will pitch all 3, because we are going to win game 2.

And Cami had much more big-game experience too. She earned that right thru performance, not just seniority. Watts is a talented kid no doubt. I am VERY familiar with the situation last year...might even know a coach or two for oh, 30+ years!

Cami will pitch both games Sat. if it goes that far (barring injury or something unforeseen), guaranteed.

Good luck WC, wish I could have gone today.

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And Cami had much more big-game experience too. She earned that right thru performance, not just seniority. Watts is a talented kid no doubt. I am VERY familiar with the situation last year...might even know a coach or two for oh, 30+ years!

Cami will pitch both games Sat. if it goes that far (barring injury or something unforeseen), guaranteed.

Good luck WC, wish I could have gone today. I don't know first hand, but stats were similar, and yes, Cami had the big game experience.

Either way, I wish I was there, and I know the Lady Necks will play well tonight.:)

g$$
05-10-2008, 05:56 PM
Necks_Fan: you know anybody to call at game? Most Sweeny people I would call were at our baseball game...

18 Handicap: I know you have some info. for us, bring it!

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Necks_Fan: you know anybody to call at game? Most Sweeny people I would call were at our baseball game...

18 Handicap: I know you have some info. for us, bring it! I been trying to find someone at the game but noone went that I have their number.

We all went yesterday, and I have to work today.

I'm still trying to get info.

g$$
05-10-2008, 06:23 PM
OK, thanks for trying. Let us know if you hear anything please...

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Sent 3asoftball4mom a text...waiting to see if she responds.

g$$
05-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Nothing? 1st game (5:00 PM start) has to be over (& maybe series) or they are playing extra innings...or are in Game 3?

Anybody?

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 08:01 PM
She finally responded, but she didn't have any info. She was doing prom stuff. She said she'd try & find out for us! :)

g$$
05-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Thanks P4S.

Kind of a late prom, huh? Usually March or April...

She will find out for us.

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Columbia forces a game 3 winning game 2...3-1

waiting for update on game 3 progress....

Reds fan
05-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Columbia forces a game 3 winning game 2...3-1

waiting for update on game 3 progress....

Great stuff there!!! Momentum switches to Lady Necks.

g$$
05-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks.

Sweeny boy rooting for archrival WC - good luck to them!

Wish I could have gone today, sounds like a great series.

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Game 3

Tied @ 1, bottom 6th

g$$
05-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Game 3

Tied @ 1, bottom 6th

Wow, great series & all nail-biters.

Who is home team for Game 3?

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Wow, great series & all nail-biters.

Who is home team for Game 3?

She hasn't answered yet...LOL

You missed a great series! You should have gone! :p

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
WC visiting team up 7-1 in the top of 7th & still batting!!! :clap:

Hope it holds up for them!!!

scrub c
05-10-2008, 09:53 PM
COME ON GIRLS !!!

(sorry we couldn't be there)

g$$
05-10-2008, 09:57 PM
She hasn't answered yet...LOL

You missed a great series! You should have gone! :p

I know, only about 30 minutes from my house but we had some stuff going on earlier with family & I did not want to go for only part of it. I missed Sweeny's Game 3 in baseball too, but I did go last night.

Happy for WC players, coaches, & D24. Avenges loss to always tough Splendora last year at same field, which I did attend. Maybe they do better w/o me there!

Hold on & win it WC. Quite an explosion in softball to go from 1-1 late in game to blow-out. Wonder what happened? Pitcher run out of gas?

NHSBulldog75
Columbia 7, Splendora 1

Lady Necks advance

Way to go LadyNecks!

Necks_Fan
WC WINS GAME 3 7-1!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT???????????????? Who's #1 now?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scrub c
05-10-2008, 09:59 PM
YEAH!!!!

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I know, only about 30 minutes from my house but we had some stuff going on earlier with family & I did not want to go for only part of it. I missed Sweeny's Game 3 in baseball too, but I did go last night.

Happy for WC players, coaches, & D24. Avenges loss to always tough Splendora last year at same field, which I did attend. Maybe they do better w/o me there!

Hold on & win it WC. Quite an explosion in softball to go from 1-1 late in game to blow-out. Wonder what happened? Pitcher run out of gas?

Either that or errors or just flat out hitting! :D

Congrats to the Lady Necks!! :2thumbsup

g$$
05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Great win WC, showed a lot of heart & moxie after tough loss last night to come back & win 2 today over #1 team in state.

Helluva job, celebrate & then get back to work Monday!

:clap: :clap:

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Wassup Super daddy Carr?

Lol. Dexter told me to call you that.

Yell at him.

zebrablue2
05-10-2008, 10:05 PM

Congrats to the Lady Necks!! :2thumbsup

errors or hits-- runs are runs.. congrats to the lady necks.:2thumbsup:

g$$
05-10-2008, 10:06 PM

Or combination of everything. Momemtum definitely swung & they jumped all over them. Sports are funny like that & you just ride the wave when it happens.

Congrats again WC. Unprecedented success for the program over past 4 years (State Finals, State Champions, lost to Splendora 3 rounds deep, now still going & ??...).

scrub c
#6 goes the distance for Columbia, pitches BOTH games. (think she was looking for a little revenge from that last pitch last night????)

pirate4state
Originally posted by zebrablue2
errors or hits-- runs are runs.. congrats to the lady necks.:2thumbsup:

amen ... we take 'em however they wanna give 'em to us!

g$$
05-10-2008, 10:07 PM
Wassup Super daddy Carr?

Lol. Dexter told me to call you that.

Yell at him.

Huh?

g$$
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
#6 goes the distance for Columbia, pitches BOTH games. (think she he was looking for a little revenge from last night????)

Knew she would, kid is a battler & never gives in. Congrats to her, gotta appreciate a gamer like that.

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Huh? Nothing. That was not directed to you. It was seen by the person it needed to be seen by.

g$$
05-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
errors or hits-- runs are runs..

Absolutely, just curious how it all went down. Maybe some posters later can fill us in...

44INAROW
05-10-2008, 10:10 PM
WC WINS GAME 3 7-1!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow - way to come back Lady Necks:clap: :clap:

g$$
05-10-2008, 10:11 PM
Nothing. That was not directed to you. It was seen by the person it needed to be seen by.

OK, just thought you had me confused or something. Carry on...

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Absolutely, just curious how it all went down. Maybe some posters later can fill us in... I'm in the process of getting details right now.

Hang tight for a sec.

Necks_Fan
05-10-2008, 10:16 PM
I asked one of my friends if we got alot of hits/walks/errors/combo and he said alot of hits, so there's a basic preview.

I'll try to get stats, but no telling.

scrub c
05-10-2008, 10:19 PM
Up next Huntington, a 1-0 winner over Hudson.

pirate4state
05-10-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by scrub c
Up next Huntington, a 1-0 winner over Hudson. They've gone with 1 game format to this point. Coin toss will be as exciting as this match up! :D

flowerchick
05-10-2008, 11:53 PM
LADY NECKS YOU ARE AWESOME!!! WHAT A TEAM EFFORT!!! THAT WAS THE HIGHLIGHT OF THE SEASON SO FAR!! #9 YOU WERE AWESOME AND WAY TO GET THINGS STARTED!! ALL OF THESE GIRLS REALLY CAME TOGETHER AND PULLED OFF THIS WIN AS A TEAM.
CONGRATS AND WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU GIRLS....

3&2count
05-11-2008, 01:54 AM
1st inning: (score 1 to 0 Splendora)
Splendora scores 1 on 2 errors.

6th Inning: (Score 1-1)
Columbia ties the game at one with a 2 out single to right center

Columbia throws the go ahead run out at the plate for out number 3.

The 7th inning of game 3 went like this: Score is 1-1 at the beginning.
1. Clean single through the middle
2. High hop single over 3rd base.
3. K
4. PB moved the runner so 2nd and 3rd
5. (Score 2-1) RBI single to left field. The runner from 2nd was initially called out on a tag play at 3rd. The call was over ruled and now Columbia has 2nd and 3rd with 1 out.
6. BB
7. (Score 5-1) 3 RBI shot over the right fielders head. (ends up being only a single because the baserunner tripped at 1st)
8. BB
9. E6 to load the bases
10. (score 7-1)Slow roller to Short stop and they attempt to go home. The runner slides into the catcher and she drops the ball. Runner from 2nd scores also.

So it was a combination of hits, walks, errors, good baserunning and a call that went Columbia's way.

Great game and a heck of a series.
Both pitchers gutted it out for three grueling games and battled to the end.

g$$
05-11-2008, 04:05 AM
**Thanks 3&2count - just adding to yours from paper.**

www.thefacts.com

Recap

Lady ’Necks knock out No. 1-rated team

By Butch McReynolds
The Facts

Published May 11, 2008

KATY — The Columbia Lady ’Necks rebounded from Friday’s Game 1 loss to Splendora to sweep the Class 3A No. 1-ranked Lady Cats on Saturday with wins of 3-1 and 7-1 to advance another round deeper into the playoffs.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of these girls,” Columbia coach Shelly Murphy said. “To lose like we did Friday night on the walk-off homer and then to come back and win two like we did today shows what kind of character these girls are made of.”

After winning Game 2 earlier in the day, Columbia (27-9) scorched Splendora (29-5) with six runs in the top of Game 3’s seventh inning, and hurler Cami Newsome closed the door to clinch the regional quarterfinal series.

Columbia will play No. 4 Huntington in the regional semifinal next week. The District 20-3A champ Devilettes won a pair of one-game rounds, beating Gatesville, 3-0, in the area round and Hudson 1-0 in the regional quarterfinal.

The Lady ’Necks sent 13 batters to the plate in Game 3’s seventh inning, coming up with six of their 11 hits, and were helped along by two costly Lady Cat errors.

Kayla Avirett and Casey Shaw came up with singles to start the inning. One out later, Shelby Poff brought across the go-ahead run with a single to left field to give Columbia a 2-1 lead.

Kiara Bonner then walked to load the bases. Natalie Rodriguez drilled a shot to right field to clear the bases and give the Lady ’Necks a 5-2 lead.

Newsome followed with a walk and then consecutive Splendora errors gave Columbia two more runs.

Splendora took an early lead in the first inning with a run on an error.

The Lady ’Necks got the run back in sixth inning. Poff opened the frame with a single. After a pair of force outs, Newsome singled up the middle and Natalie Locke knotted the score with clutch single to right-center.

Newsome earned the win in seven innings of work, allowing six hits with two walks.

Columbia lost the series opener Friday, 2-1.

GAME 2, Columbia 3, Splendora 1: The Lady ’Necks forced a decisive Game 3 with a 3-1 victory early Saturday.

Columbia went ahead with a run in the bottom of the second inning when Kylie Kotis scored Rodriguez from third base on a two-out RBI single. Rodriguez walked to reach first, was sacrificed to second by Newsome and reached third on a throwing error on Newsome’s bunt.

Rodriguez shut down a Splendora scoring chance in the fourth inning. With two runners on, the shortstop made a diving stop to her right and got the lead runner out at third base for the second out of the inning. A Newsome strikeout ended the frame.

Splendora knotted the game in the top of the sixth on an error. Elyse Seals singled to reach base for the Lady Cats and took second on a sacrifice. She later stole third base and the ball got away on the attempted throw-out. The error allowed her to score.

The Lady ’Necks bounced right back in the bottom of the sixth and took the lead for good.

Poff singled to left field to start the Columbia rally. Bonner followed with a grounder to third base, and Splendora attempted to force-out Poff at second. The throw was high and sailed into the outfield. Poff scored on the error and Bonner ended up at third. Rodriguez later hit a high chopper for an RBI single to put the Lady ’Necks ahead, 3-1.

Newsome earned the complete-game win for Columbia, allowing one earned run on three hits with three walks and seven strikeouts. Bonner and Kotis each had two hits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------