PDA

View Full Version : 13-Year-Old Baseball Player Suffers Heart Attack Rounding Bases

Txbroadcaster
05-09-2008, 09:32 AM
A 13-year-old Little League player is in critical condition after he collapsed during a baseball game at his Boise, Idaho middle school.

Justin McAfee went in cardiac arrest as he was rounding the bases at Lake Hazel Middle School Wednesday night, according to IdahoStatesman.com.

Emergency crews who responded to the 911 call credited bystanders with helping keep the boy alive, it was reported.

"It looks like they did an incredible job with bystander CPR," Mike Nugent, paramedic supervisor with Ada County, told the Statesman."People did all the right things. There are hopeful signs."

McAfee, a ninth grader, was rushed to St. Luke’s Children’s Hospital in Meridian where he is currently being treated in the pediatric intensive care unit.

It was reported the teenager was in a coma, but that has been denied by hospital officials.

"To say that he’s in a coma is not completely correct," Beth Toal, the public relations manager at St. Luke’s, told FOXNews.com.

"His family has requested that we don’t release a lot of information about his condition," she added.

According to the American Heart Association, the reported incidences of out-of-hospital pediatric cardiac arrest vary widely from 2.6 to 19.7 annual cases per 100,000 children.

Causes include trauma, sudden infant death syndrome, respiratory issues, cardiovascular complications and drowning.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354591,00.html

BuffyMars
05-09-2008, 09:33 AM
you stole my story. :dispntd::tongue:

Txbroadcaster
05-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
you stole my story. :dispntd::tongue:

:D

SWMustang
05-09-2008, 10:28 AM
since when do 9th graders play little leauge?

Txbroadcaster
05-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang

not sure what you mean..most leagues go up to either 15-18 or under 18

mistanice
05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I remember back in High school, a friend of mine played in little league (13-14 age group) but was also on the high school varsity team. lol. He would go play in his little league games around 6, and as soon as that game ended he would jump on his bicycle and rush to his varsity game at 7:30.

SWMustang
05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
I generally think of kids younger than 12 when you say little league - playing on a field where the pitcher's mound is less than 60'6" is a little league field. Shouldn't it be Pony league or something like that.

Txbroadcaster
05-09-2008, 11:01 AM
I generally think of kids younger than 12 when you say little league - playing on a field where the pitcher's mound is less than 60'6" is a little league field. Shouldn't it be Pony league or something like that.

MOST 12-13 year old leagues are less than 60'6

BILLYFRED0000
05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
I heard about that story. Man that is just plan scary. My little girl was sick yesterday. The teachers call her track star in the fourth grade because they think she is fast. So her teacher asked her to run for time on the quarter and she did. Ran a 69. Not bad for a 4 foot nothing little bitty 10 year old( she just turned ten). Then we went to a softball game last night. She starts in left field. She got to her turn at bat hit a shot right at someone and still nearly beat the play. But when she got to the dugout she was complaining of pain and a headache and was as hot as a firecracker. It seemed to come out of nowhere. I had heard the other story and it just gave me the shivers to think it could have been her and not someone else.

g$$
05-09-2008, 05:06 PM

Little League has many different leagues now:

Little League (12 & below)
Junior League (13)
Senior League (14-15)
Big League (16-18)

Problem w/ LL is they don't adjust their rules enough from age 12 on & many kids move on to other leagues who play more "real" baseball. My late Dad worked in LL for many years as local President & then Dist. 18 positions. They know it's a problem but unwilling to change much at top (Williamsport, PA).