PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny / Hardin Jefferson baseball playoffs...

g$$
05-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Sweeny takes Game 1 Thurs. night...

2-0 Final
from Lansford Field in Aldine

Scoreless for most of game & pitcher's duel, Sweeny broke through for 2 runs in 6th I believe (could not go). Probable starting pitchers were San Jac signee Riley Hornback of Sweeny & Taylor Monse of HJ. No stats available that I can find, just score on 2 different sites. Feel free to fill in details please.

Game 2 is Fri. night @ 7:30 PM
Game 3 if necessary is Sat. afternoon @ 2:30 PM
...all games @ Lansford Field in Aldine

Solid win for the Bulldogs, keep it up as quality HJ team will not go quietly.

Bearkat
05-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Sweeny takes Game 1 Thurs. night...

2-0 Final
from Lansford Field in Aldine

Scoreless for most of game & pitcher's duel, Sweeny broke through for 2 runs in 6th I believe (could not go). Probable starting pitchers were San Jac signee Riley Hornback of Sweeny & Taylor Monse of HJ. No stats available that I can find, just score on 2 different sites. Feel free to fill in details please.

Game 2 is Fri. night @ 7:30 PM
Game 3 if necessary is Sat. afternoon @ 2:30 PM
...all games @ Lansford Field in Aldine

Solid win for the Bulldogs, keep it up as quality HJ team will not go quietly.

I've heard the Hornback kid, from Sweeny, throws in the mid 80's and has a good curve and change. I see this series going 3 games.

g$$
05-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
I've heard the Hornback kid, from Sweeny, throws in the mid 80's and has a good curve and change. I see this series going 3 games.

That's true - senior Riley Hornback pitches in that range & can touch a bit higher at times. Good command of 3 pitches & filthy curveball when he's right - he's a battler too. Sweeny's #2 is junior Aaron Rollins & they have some other arms as well, including junior Ryan Hornback. Sweeny is a very balanced team & lots of kids have stepped up as the year has progressed. Winning D24 w/ 1 loss is tough, just like D21 is too. Sweeny beat Needville twice & we know BC has their hands full in that series.

Riley signed with San Jac as an OF primarily, but he plays SS/P for Sweeny. Good player & fine career for the Dogs. He played all over the field for the Houston Heat select club last summer.

I see this being a battle to the end as well. HJ will come to play.

GATA Dogs

3ABirdMan
05-09-2008, 10:20 PM
HJ wins game #2 with a score of 7-2. Series now tied........

g$$
05-10-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by 3ABirdMan
HJ wins game #2 with a score of 7-2. Series now tied........

I went Fri. night to this game. Give HJ credit, they came to play. Sweeny made some errors & didn't play as well as they have been, but HJ won this game. HJ hit 2 bombs as well. Sweeny mounted a rally late but not enough.

Game 3 should be interesting with who pitches for both teams & who can win & advance. Go Dogs!

g$$
05-10-2008, 03:01 AM
www.thefacts.com

Game 1 recap

Sweeny 2, Hardin-Jefferson 0: The Sweeny Bulldogs took a one-game lead on the Hardin-Jefferson Hawks on Thursday night with a 2-0 win at Langsford Field in a Class 3A Region III quarterfinal series.

Pitcher Riley Hornback went seven frames to earn the win, and the Bulldog senior also helped his own cause.

In the bottom of the sixth of a scoreless game, Mitch Ferrel led off with a double to put the go-ahead run at second base. Hornback then hit a double to score Ferrel with what turned out to be the winning run.

But the Bulldogs added another run when Colton Stewart’s long fly ball moved courtesy runner Corey Bass to third base.

Aaron Rollins followed with a single to score Sweeny’s final run.

Ryan Hornback went 1-for-2 in the game and Kenneth Setzer was 1-for-3, Rollins finished 1-for-3, Ferrel was 1-for-1 with a walk and sacrifice, and Riley Hornback was 1-for-2.

In the seventh, the Hawks (19-7) had two men on with two outs before Riley Hornback got consecutive groundouts to end the threat.

Rollins will take the mound for Sweeny (19-5-1) tonight as the series goes back to Aldine for a 7:30 p.m. start. If a third game is needed, it will be played at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

Game 2 recap

Bulldogs drop 2nd game, 7-2

HOUSTON — Sweeny played a near-perfect series opener against the Hardin-Jefferson Hawks on Thursday but in Friday’s Game 2 mistakes did in the Bulldogs.

Hardin-Jefferson smacked a pair of solo homers and took advantage of five Sweeny errors as the Hawks evened the Class 3A Region III area round series with a 7-2 win at Lansford Field.

“We knew Hardin-Jefferson wasn’t here because they couldn’t hit the ball or play defense,” Sweeny coach Scott Carter said. “Tonight we couldn’t play defense. We were throwing the ball all around the field. We weren’t even making routine plays. You can’t do that in the playoffs.”

The Bulldogs (19-7) out-hit Hardin-Jefferson 6-5 but committed five errors. Sweeny trailed 7-0 with two outs in the seventh inning before an RBI triple by Edward Wright and a one-run single from Ryan Hornback put the Bulldogs on the scoreboard.

“We’re not going to quit and we want to build that momentum from the seventh,” Carter said. “I think we came in a little overconfident after winning Game 1 and hopefully learned from that. We have to execute better defensively.”

A decisive Game 3 will be played back at Lansford Field at 2:30 p.m. today. The Bulldogs won a coin toss and will be the home team. Sweeny won the series opener on Thursday, 2-0, with RBI hits from Riley Hornback and Aaron Rollins in the bottom of the sixth inning. Riley Hornback earned the complete-game shutout win.

Hawks (20-7) pitcher Josh Podgers went the distance Friday and allowed two runs on six hits with only one strikeout. Rollins pitched all seven innings for the Bulldogs and gave up four earned runs on five hits with three strikeouts.

Hardin-Jefferson took a 1-0 lead with a leadoff, two-strike homer from catcher Beau Hansen in the bottom of the second inning. It was the first run for the Hawks in the series.

The Hawks added a pair of runs in the third. Kevin Roebuck moved from first base to third on a Taylor Monse single and then scored when the relay throw from right field deflected off him near third base. Monse moved to third on a sacrifice fly and scored when teammate Dylan Lundy was caught in a rundown between first and second, but wasted enough time to get the run across the place before getting tagged out.

Hardin-Jefferson took a 4-0 lead in the fourth on a first-pitch solo homer by Logan Ferguson.

The Hawks scored twice in the fourth on a pair of throwing errors to first base and then added another run in the sixth after Myles Peace reached base on an error and pinch runner Josh Denton scored on a Roebuck single.

g$$
05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Could not make it to Game 3...anybody have updates?

Game 3 started at 2:30 PM Saturday in Aldine...

Thanks for help.

Bearkat
05-10-2008, 05:26 PM
HJ advances with a 9-2 win. Congrats to the Hawks. There are still 3 teams playing baseball from district 21-3A. However, that will change next week with Jasper playing Bridge City.

g$$
05-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
HJ advances with a 9-2 win. Congrats to the Hawks. There are still 3 teams playing baseball from district 21-3A. However, that will change next week with Jasper playing Bridge City.

Wow. Thanks for help, any details?

Fine season Sweeny, & best of luck to HJ.

buff4ever
05-10-2008, 11:33 PM
What exactly does HJ have pitching and hitting wise. And has anyone heard any early rumblings from anyone about where and how and when yet for HJ & GIDDINGS. I know it is early but why not ask.

g$$
05-11-2008, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Wow. Thanks for help, any details?

Fine season Sweeny, & best of luck to HJ.

www.thefacts.com

Errors spell doom for Sweeny

Published May 11, 2008

Errors killed Sweeny’s chances to advance in the postseason.

Ten errors are never going to help anyone, and they spelled the end for the Sweeny Bulldogs in the finale of their Class 3A Region III area matchup against Hardin-Jefferson as they dropped a 9-2 decision Saturday afternoon at Lansford Field in Houston.

After winning the opener 2-0 on Thursday, the Bulldogs could not get away from the miscues as they committed 15 errors in the final two games of the series.

Sweeny (19-7-1) finishes the season while the Hawks (21-7) will move on to meet Giddings in the next round.

g$$
05-11-2008, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by buff4ever
What exactly does HJ have pitching and hitting wise. And has anyone heard any early rumblings from anyone about where and how and when yet for HJ & GIDDINGS. I know it is early but why not ask.

I saw one of the 3 games. HJ is a solid team from a very good D21-3A (BC, HJ, & Jasper are all still playing). Jasper is defending State 3A Champ too. HJ's top 3 pitchers are LHP Monse, RHP Rodgers, & RHP Lundy I believe. Pretty good hitting team & very aggressive on bases. They were very sound fundamentally in Game 2 that I saw & evidently played well in all 3 games. Sweeny uncharacteristically helped them out w/ 15 errors in final 2 games (5 + 10), but give credit to HJ too, they won the series & advanced. Sweeny shut them out 2-0 in Game 1.

Rumor at game was Taylor Monse (LHP/1B) & Kevin Roebuck (OF) had signed w/ Lamar University...but Lamar does not list them as signees on their baseball website. Maybe they plan to sign late or just walk-on, don't know. I know they did not sign in Fall Early Signing Period per website.

Be ready, they are a good team but beatable IMO. Pitchers throw strikes & make you beat them. Not high K guys from what I saw & read. No clue on details of next series (check www.3abaseball.com or PM GWOOD).

Best of luck.

buff4life
05-12-2008, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I saw one of the 3 games. HJ is a solid team from a very good D21-3A (BC, HJ, & Jasper are all still playing). Jasper is defending State 3A Champ too. HJ's top 3 pitchers are LHP Monse, RHP Rodgers, & RHP Lundy I believe. Pretty good hitting team & very aggressive on bases. They were very sound fundamentally in Game 2 that I saw & evidently played well in all 3 games. Sweeny uncharacteristically helped them out w/ 15 errors in final 2 games (5 + 10), but give credit to HJ too, they won the series & advanced. Sweeny shut them out 2-0 in Game 1.

Rumor at game was Taylor Monse (LHP/1B) & Kevin Roebuck (OF) had signed w/ Lamar University...but Lamar does not list them as signees on their baseball website. Maybe they plan to sign late or just walk-on, don't know. I know they did not sign in Fall Early Signing Period per website.

Be ready, they are a good team but beatable IMO. Pitchers throw strikes & make you beat them. Not high K guys from what I saw & read. No clue on details of next series (check www.3abaseball.com or PM GWOOD).

Best of luck.

THanks G$$, i am confident that Giddings will put up runs or atleast put the ball in play and make HJ get them out, Giddings is also sound in the field and a very good catcher with a good arm should slow down the aggressiveness on the basepaths...

Good Luck Buffs