PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problem

Blastoderm55
05-07-2008, 10:43 PM
So I was "volunteered" to fix my coworker's laptap. Said laptap was littered with all sorts of nasties and had been a total pain. In a moment of sheer genius [stupidity], I used to msconfig command to switch to a diagnostic startup, effectively neutralizing some of the nasties that were harassing me.

However, I also shutdown the operation of all .exe files upon rebooting. I cannot get back into msconfig to change this as I'm prompted with the window asking which program I'd like to open msconfig with. The registry hack that allowed me to open msconfig in the presence of the malware also prompts for a program.

Looks like I've made an ugly mess worse. Is there anything that can be done to at least get the .exe files to run so that I can get into msconfig or should I get this machine ready for a system restore?

Blastoderm55
05-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Nevermind, I managed. Now to get rid of all the muck. :doh:

Ranger Mom
05-07-2008, 11:18 PM
For future reference....what did you do to correct it?

Blastoderm55
05-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Um, rebooted in safe mode with command prompt as Administrator and updated the registry values for .exe which enabled me to bring up msconfig through the run command in the task manager. At that point, I enabled the normal startup with all system processes.

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Um, rebooted in safe mode with command prompt as Administrator and updated the registry values for .exe which enabled me to bring up msconfig through the run command in the task manager. At that point, I enabled the normal startup with all system processes.
That was going to be my suggestion! :D :nerd: ;)

GreenMonster
05-07-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

And now in ENGLISH for us slower members of the Downlow. :confused:

Ranger Mom
05-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
And now in ENGLISH for us slower members of the Downlow. :confused:

Thank you!! That hurt my brain!

DU_stud04
05-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
And now in ENGLISH for us slower members of the Downlow. :confused: he threw it out of the window of his car during a thunderstorm driving 90+ listening to Marylin Manson. then bought a new one. its a rush, i tried it once...except for the buying of a new one.... thats just crazy talk :D

GreenMonster
05-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
he threw it out of the window of his car during a thunderstorm driving 90+ listening to Marylin Manson. then bought a new one. its a rush, i tried it once...except for the buying of a new one.... thats just crazy talk :D

Thanks Juggs,

You always have had a way with words. Tell Mother I said hello.

-Speed

jason
05-07-2008, 11:47 PM
should have just right clicked on the C drive and selected format....

and then take it to somebody like me who makes a living fixing computers for people like yall.....

:D :D :D :D :D

Blastoderm55
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
Meh. Got AVG installed and things should be finished up soon. Damn pro-bono work.