one announcer called it a foul and the other a tip

Not Brown but the other didn't know what the difference was

Necks_Fan
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Antec
Watching Astros game on FSN

A Washington player hit a foul

Not Brown but the other didn't know what the difference was Yea. J.D didn't know that a catcher must catch the ball for it to be a foul tip., otherwise it's a foul ball.

I didn't know that either.

I just say foul tip if they barely touch it and foul ball if they just hit it foul.

Really not a big deal either way.

g$$
05-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Watching Astros game on FSN

A Washington player hit a foul

Not Brown but the other didn't know what the difference was

It's all semantics & was not a big deal. JD (Jim Deshaies) knows his stuff & was a fine MLB lefty pitcher in his day, including in Houston. Not great but solid. I enjoy his analysis & dry wit.

They were just making conversation, that's all. JD can laugh at himself when need be too. He & Bill Brown work well together.

Reds fan
05-08-2008, 09:06 AM
JD is a great color guy, he cracks me up with dry wit.

As for the slip up, not a big deal....however there can be a huge difference between a tip and a foul. It all depends on if there is a runner on base, a caught tipped ball is live and runner can advance at his own risk.

g$$
05-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
JD is a great color guy, he cracks me up with dry wit.

As for the slip up, not a big deal....however there can be a huge difference between a tip and a foul. It all depends on if there is a runner on base, a caught tipped ball is live and runner can advance at his own risk.

Absolutely, but they were just joking around with calling it a tip (caught) or foul (not caught) when batter barely nicks the ball.

Gotta a sneaky feeling they both know the difference just like we do! ;)

Adidas410s
05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Correct. A live ball situation is a BIG difference from a dead ball situation.

Reds fan
05-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Absolutely, but they were just joking around with calling it a tip (caught) or foul (not caught) when batter barely nicks the ball.

Gotta a sneaky feeling they both know the difference just like we do! ;)

I concur:) But this kind of info might help WC against Splendora in softball this weekend:D Always best to keep the nuances of the game in mind!

g$$
05-08-2008, 09:21 AM
I concur:) But this kind of info might help WC against Splendora in softball this weekend:D Always best to keep the nuances of the game in mind!

Agreed, Splendora will pull out all the stops, bush league or not.

**Did you hear JD Tues. night crack on the guy with the helmet hair who caught a foul ball? Bill Brown said "he's got a trophy". JD says "the ball or the hair, I could do some things with that & I'm jealous" or something like that.

I busted out laughing, he's great. I met him last year at MMP for the College Classic & he is a really nice guy. JD had retired from playing & was not into broadcasting yet when I worked for Astros previously. I told him I liked his Seinfeld references & he said, "good, glad somebody is listening". Alan Ashby is sorely missed on the radio, that is for sure. Don't care for the 2 new guys (last year until now). Don't have a former MLB player's insight or knowledge. Dierker is a good one too, met him many times over a few Shiner Bock's. Smart cookie!

Reds fan
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed, Splendora will pull out all the stops, bush league or not.

**Did you hear JD Tues. night crack on the guy with the helmet hair who caught a foul ball? Bill Brown said "he's got a trophy". JD says "the ball or the hair, I could do some things with that & I'm jealous" or something like that.

I busted out laughing, he's great. I met him last year at MMP for the College Classic & he is a really nice guy. JD had retired from playing & was not into broadcasting yet when I worked for Astros previously. I told him I liked his Seinfeld references & he said, "good, glad somebody is listening". Alan Ashby is sorely missed on the radio, that is for sure. Don't care for the 2 new guys (last year until now). Don't have a former MLB player's insight or knowledge. Dierker is a good one too, met him many times over a few Shiner Bock's. Smart cookie!

Did not catch the game Tuesday until late so missed that:( Last night shot of JD with the sombrero got me laughing:spitlol:

Maroon87
05-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Did not catch the game Tuesday until late so missed that:( Last night shot of JD with the sombrero got me laughing:spitlol:

He and Brown always put on the sombreros when Carlos Lee is batting, an homage to the "Los Caballitos" fan club on the left field concourse.

g$$
05-08-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
He and Brown always put on the sombreros when Carlos Lee is batting, an homage to the "Los Caballitos" fan club on the left field concourse.

I liked JD bobbing his head like he's riding a horse too w/ the sombrero on top of his headphones.

BTW, just got 4 free tix for tonight's game! I would invite a couple of you but the girlfriend's family is going with us (I think). Backe is pitching & last game of homestand. Be our 4th game of year so far.

Bull's-eye
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I liked JD bobbing his head like he's riding a horse too w/ the sombrero on top of his headphones.

That was classic! :spitlol:

Maroon87
05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Be our 4th game of year so far.

:mad:

I haven't been yet this season. I had an offer to go to a game vs. Florida but had to turn it down due to a prior commitment.

g$$
05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
:mad:

I haven't been yet this season. I had an offer to go to a game vs. Florida but had to turn it down due to a prior commitment.

Lost out on 4 tix this past Sat. because guy could not reach me due to cell phone being off & nobody could reach us. Girlfriend was gone too with mom & grandmother & in the end we didn't go. We had gone Friday night anyway, but these were prime seats. Oh well, going tonight & looking for sweep!

sahen
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
im going tonight...it'll be my 5th game this year, 6 if you count the one spring training game i went to....so far they are 3-1 in real games that I go to, the one they lost I had free tickets to so I cant complain....last year they were 5-1 when i went (lost on a free ticket game then too)...so have no fear, the astros are 8-0 the last 2 years when i actually buy tickets and I bought tickets tonight...go 'stros!

Sweetwater Red
05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by sahen
im going tonight...it'll be my 5th game this year, 6 if you count the one spring training game i went to....so far they are 3-1 in real games that I go to, the one they lost I had free tickets to so I cant complain....last year they were 5-1 when i went (lost on a free ticket game then too)...so have no fear, the astros are 8-0 the last 2 years when i actually buy tickets and I bought tickets tonight...go 'stros!

It sounds to me like you should quit your job and have McLane
pay you to go to the games. Of course you'd have to pay for
your own tickets obvioulsy.:thinking: :D

sahen
05-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
It sounds to me like you should quit your job and have McLane
pay you to go to the games. Of course you'd have to pay for
your own tickets obvioulsy.:thinking: :D

ha...i wish that was possible, i'd take that job gladly but i doubt McLaine would be up for it....:(

g$$
05-08-2008, 12:10 PM

You have me beat, we're 2-1 on year when going so far. Beat MIL & SD, lost to STL. Let's win tonight! Have fun Sahen. Sounds like both of us score free tix often.

FYI: it's free women's bag night for ages 16 & up (females). Better get there by 5:30-5:45 PM to get one. You can enter thru Dierker's Bar at home plate & that works better than normal gates & lines. Good luck, not a bad bag for the ladies & free.

g$$
05-08-2008, 12:11 PM
ha...i wish that was possible, i'd take that job gladly but i doubt McLaine would be up for it....:(

No way for Uncle Drayton!

Maroon87
05-08-2008, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You have me beat, we're 2-1 on year when going so far. Beat MIL & SD, lost to STL. Let's win tonight! Have fun Sahen. Sounds like both of us score free tix often.

FYI: it's free women's bag night for ages 16 & up (females). Better get there by 5:30-5:45 PM to get one. You can enter thru Dierker's Bar at home plate & that works better than normal gates & lines. Good luck, not a bad bag for the ladies & free.

I have access to some regular free tickets (field level, behind home plate) but lately I've been so busy I can't take advantage of it...:mad: :doh:

g$$
05-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I have access to some regular free tickets (field level, behind home plate) but lately I've been so busy I can't take advantage of it...:mad: :doh:

You need to get less busy man! I get those some behind plate but mainly club or field level down lines/behind dugouts. It varies & I'm not complaining.