PDA

View Full Version : The Cedric Benson saga (merged)

kaorder1999
05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Report: Benson's friend had dad call 911 over police treatment
ESPN.com news services

Updated: May 7, 2008, 12:18 PM ET

A woman who was a passenger in Cedric Benson's boat when he was pepper-sprayed and arrested Saturday night said the Chicago Bears running back did not seem intoxicated and did not resist arrest, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Elizabeth Cartwright, 22, a senior at the University of Texas and a friend of Benson, said she called her father and asked him to call police about the way Benson was treated by officers of the Lower Colorado River Authority, which patrols Lake Travis, a man-made lake northwest of Austin, Texas.

"I called my dad and told him, 'Call 911, my black friend is getting beaten up by police on Lake Travis,'" Cartwright recalled, according to the Tribune. "It's more what I heard than what I saw. I have never heard or seen Cedric that scared."

According to the police report, Benson had bloodshot eyes, a "strong" alcohol odor and slurred speech when his boat was stopped by authorities on Saturday.

Benson has denied he was intoxicated or that he resisted law enforcement and will fight the charges against him.

He met with Bears coach Lovie Smith and general manager Jerry Angelo on Tuesday, but the Bears did not comment on the meeting or their invesetigation of the incident, the Daily Herald of Arlington Heights, Ill. reported.

Cartwright said she is willing to present her account of events as evidence. She also said her fiance took photographs of the incident that help back up her claims.

According to the Tribune, Cartwright said she had had one drink and Benson had consumed two when the party of about 15 people decided to head back to shore at about 9:30 p.m. on Saturday to get dinner. About that time, a patrol boat approached to conduct a random check, she said.

According to Cartwright, it was the sixth time that a patrol had stopped Benson's boat on Lake Travis in as many outings this year.

Cartwright said after the boat passed the safety checkup, Benson was asked to board the LCRA craft for a sobriety test. As an officer led Benson to the LCRA boat for the test, the second officer left behind on Benson's boat assured his mother, Jackie Benson, that her son would be fine, Cartwright said, according to the report.

"I know Cedric and I don't think he was drunk," Cartwright said, according to the Tribune.

A few minutes later, Cartwright said she heard Benson begin to scream after the officer pepper-sprayed him, according to the report. By the time Benson was in handcuffs, he was screaming, "Please stop, Mom, make them please stop," she said.

According to the report, Cartwright's father, Jeff, called 911 at his daughter's insistence. Unaware she was calling about Benson, he told the dispatcher that police "were beating up a black kid on Lake Travis."

A Travis County spokesman wouldn't confirm or deny Tuesday night that a 911 call had been placed regarding the incident, according to the Tribune.

Benson and Cartwright's accounts differ from the police account of the incident.

According to the police report, Sgt. Leonard Snyder, who sprayed and arrested Benson, said he believed Benson was intoxicated because he was "combative," "cocky," "insulting" and used "profanity," but at other times was "crying" and "cooperative."

After failing sobriety tests applied by Snyder, who works with the Lower Colorado River Authority, Snyder wrote that Benson refused to come ashore for additional tests and "stood up from the position where I had him seated and suggested I could not tell him what to do."

rockdale80
05-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Weird. Sounds like there may be more to the story than we though.

kaorder1999
05-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Benson first said that everything that happened to him by the police was out of sight of everyone on the boat....now she says she is a witness. I dont know what to believe. And she uses the word "think" a lot. I dont "think" he was drunk.

kaorder1999
05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
i think this investigation and story will get pretty interesting in the days, weeks to come.

Txbroadcaster
05-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
Benson first said that everything that happened to him by the police was out of sight of everyone on the boat....now she says she is a witness. I dont know what to believe. And she uses the word "think" a lot. I dont "think" he was drunk.

one thing..maybe Cedric did not realize someone could see what was happening

kaorder1999
05-07-2008, 03:24 PM
that was my first thought but by the time the stories were breaking and they were getting quotes from him I would have figured he would have at least talked to his buddies on the boat. Would have been the first thing I did. "Do you see what they did to me? " Dont you think?

kaorder1999
05-07-2008, 03:26 PM
and I dont know what to think about her "its more of what I heard than what I saw" comment. Does that mean what she heard was more critical then what she saw or does that mean she only heard and never saw anything?

nobogey72
05-07-2008, 04:41 PM
I've got a "truth serum" question. How many of you (myself included) already have a picture in your (our) mind of what you think actually took place that night. AND------ the $million question----- Why do you think that?

answers such as:

he went to UT so I want him to be guilty
he's black so ........
cops were white so ..........
all kids with dreads are smarta$$ dopeheads
Austin cops are rednecks

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Sweetwater Red
05-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I've got a "truth serum" question. How many of you (myself included) already have a picture in your (our) mind of what you think actually took place that night. AND------ the $million question----- Why do you think that?

answers such as:

he went to UT so I want him to be guilty
he's black so ........
cops were white so ..........
all kids with dreads are smarta$$ dopeheads
Austin cops are rednecks

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I have one response to this thread. Why does the friend and
the friend's dad both make reference to Benson's race. The friend
when calling her dad and the dad when calling 911.:confused:

Chopblock
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't have much use for the LCRA Rangers, I have seen them overstep their Authourity on more than1 occasion on Incidents that their department doesn't regulate.
I dealt with them with the Agency I have retired from

nobogey72
05-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

I understand what you are saying. However, that also may just be how she was describing what she saw or heard the way she saw or heard it. That was the point of my post above------ is that it is interesting to me what makes us think what we think and believe what we believe.

AND, I plan on that being the last serious thing I post for the next few days. I am only capable of just so much serious thought.:D

g$$
05-07-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

That was my question too. The girl & her father both made references to Cedric Benson being Black. Why? Can a White or any other race guy get arrested too? I don't see the reason for that unless that angle is already being pursued.

I don't know what happened. I hope the truth comes out. I do know Austin cops can be jerks & very "my word against yours so you're screwed". Think of those arrested who don't have the $$ or clout to fight a bogus charge. Cops can darn sure be corrupt too just like anybody else out there.

44INAROW
05-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I try to stay out of the conversation when the "race card" has been presented, but I can't help myself this time. I have grown up as my boys have with many friends of all races, shapes, sizes, ethnic backgrounds, economic background, religous background, etc. Anyone that knows me, knows this is a true statement - I can honestly say that if I thought ANY of my friends was being mistreated by a member of a law enforcement or being mistreaded by anyone - and I decided to make a cry for help for them - mentioning what color they are would be the LAST thing from my mind. What difference does it make what color he was/is? - In my opinion, she discredits herself with that statement. I don't know many of the facts in this case and quite frankly, I doubt anyone except those there will ever know the REAL truth, but I don't think the LCRA officers decided to stop the boat he was operating just for "grins" and thought spraying pepper spray on him would be a fun thing to do. There is alot more to this story.

g$$
05-07-2008, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I try to stay out of the conversation when the "race card" has been presented, but I can't help myself this time. I have grown up as my boys have with many friends of all races, shapes, sizes, ethnic backgrounds, economic background, religous background, etc. Anyone that knows me, knows this is a true statement - I can honestly say that if I thought ANY of my friends was being mistreated by a member of a law enforcement or being mistreaded by anyone - and I decided to make a cry for help for them - mentioning what color they are would be the LAST thing from my mind. What difference does it make what color he was/is? - In my opinion, she discredits herself with that statement. I don't know many of the facts in this case and quite frankly, I doubt anyone except those there will ever know the REAL truth, but I don't think the LCRA officers decided to stop the boat he was operating just for "grins" and thought spraying pepper spray on him would be a fun thing to do. There is alot more to this story.

Agreed. She hurt her case by saying "my Black friend" & so did her father. Why go there?

Ranger Mom
05-07-2008, 05:47 PM

I agree!

pirate4state
05-07-2008, 05:51 PM

:iagree:

Old Tiger
05-07-2008, 05:55 PM
i think it's just another case of a brotha can't get no love from the PD.

nobogey72
05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Agreed. She hurt her case by saying "my Black friend" & so did her father. Why go there?

What if..........she saw that happening and she sensed that it WAS a racial thing..... so that's how she described it. Is that not possible? I promise I'm not arguing that side, I'm just saying what if? I refer back to the question I asked in the post above----what makes us form the initial opinion that we do?

:thinking:

g$$
05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue

So you know all the facts? You were there? I was not nor am I passing judgement. I hope they get to the bottom of it. Stories don't add up I do know that.

Hope you are trying to be funny - btw it was not. That kind of attitude is what feeds the frenzy. Stupid comment.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2008, 06:01 PM
I watched Benson play numerous times when he was here in Midland. Been at the same restaurant where he was....he always seemed like a pretty nice kid. Either way it happened is no good to me. If the police are overstepping their authority, then shame on them. If he has turned into an egotistical "me" guy, then shame on him.

nobogey72
05-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I watched Benson play numerous times when he was here in Midland. Been at the same restaurant where he was....he always seemed like a pretty nice kid. Either way it happened is no good to me. If the police are overstepping their authority, then shame on them. If he has turned into an egotistical "me" guy, then shame on him.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Dam, you do have a brain. Jason told me you were just a georgeous airhead.:doh:

g$$
05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
What if..........she saw that happening and she sensed that it WAS a racial thing..... so that's how she described it. Is that not possible? I promise I'm not arguing that side, I'm just saying what if? I refer back to the question I asked in the post above----what makes us form the initial opinion that we do?

:thinking:

Because anytime you play the race card, it is easy to dismiss (general opinion) the case as looking for an angle . We have been conditioned that way unfortunately. I don't know what happened. Why couldn't she just say my friend is being mistreated if she saw or heard that? Let the race thing play out later w/ lawyers if need be. Why does a dispatcher care what color the guy is anyway?

I think she hurt Benson's case, but I'm not a lawyer either. Just my 2 cents...I had trouble with an Austin cop back in 1998 & it is very difficult when it's "he said / he said" & one of those is a cop. They tend to get benefit of the doubt in a court of law.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Dam, you do have a brain. Jason told me you were just a georgeous airhead.:doh:

Jason Castro?? The American Idol guy??

g$$
05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I just don't know why he can't learn from past mistakes. He has had brushes with the law previously in both Austin & Midland (trespassing, marijuana, etc.). Now this...I don't know what all happened on Lake Travis, but the guy needs to avoid trouble. His NFL career is on the line, the NFL is cracking down on behavior, he has been a huge bust so far for the Bears, & he puts himself in this position?

Not too smart. Maybe he should cut his hair again to show everyone he needs a "clean start" like he did before the Draft a few years ago.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I just don't know why he can't learn from past mistakes. He has had brushes with the law previously in both Austin & Midland (trespassing, marijuana, etc.). Now this...I don't what all happened on Lake Travis, but the guy needs to avoid trouble. His NFL career is on the line, the NFL is cracking down on behavior, he has been a huge bust so far for the Bears, & he puts himself in this position?

Not too smart. Maybe he should cut his hair again to show everyone he needs a "clean start" like he did before the Draft a few years ago.

I just hate to see what once was a pretty respectful, highly talented kid get full of his "self entitlement"....maybe it's an occupational hazard.

I guess because because he is a home town kid that I watched back in the day, it's hard for me not to have a soft spot for him and want the "other" story to be true....but then what does that say for that particular law enforcement??

LH Panther Mom
05-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Chopblock
I have seen them overstep their Authourity
I have heard the same thing from a good friend of mine.

Call me stupid, but if I was making the phone call to my dad that "my black friend is getting beat up by the cops", I'm certainly not going to say that! My convo would be "Dad, call 911....I'm in a boat with Cedric Benson and he's getting beat up by the cops". :thinking: :thinking: Something strange about that, IMO.

Ranger Mom
05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I have heard the same thing from a good friend of mine.

Call me stupid, but if I was making the phone call to my dad that "my black friend is getting beat up by the cops", I'm certainly not going to say that! My convo would be "Dad, call 911....I'm in a boat with Cedric Benson and he's getting beat up by the cops". :thinking: :thinking: Something strange about that, IMO.

I wouldn't put it past the media to spin the story how that want it either!!!!

lostaussie
05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
I'm just curious why she wanted dad to call 911...........hell, i thought they were already there:thinking:

g$$
05-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Go Blue

Would you say that if Benson was not a former UT football player & just a regular Joe who happens to be Black? Honest answer...

3rd time for him to be arrested btw...
(drugs, trespassing, & bwi = same as dwi in Texas)

g$$
05-08-2008, 06:39 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080504-cedric-benson-arrested-chicago-bears,0,4171282.story

**Notice what article says about BWI being the same in Texas as DWI by law...

This could get interesting if his story has merit & witnesses can back it up.

big daddy russ
05-08-2008, 08:20 AM
You don't have to see an incident to be a witness.

I don't know what to believe. It seems like the general public is quick to jump to conclusions, but after personal experiences I'm going to hold off judgment until all the facts come in. There's just too much in this story that seem off-base.

1. Why did she ask her dad to call the police?
2. Why did this story take so long to surface? Did the press just not have a hold of it, or were they just not finished with the initial feeding frenzy? You learn a lot about both the story and the media that's presenting it when this information comes to light.
3. Why are there so many inconsistencies between this story and the officers?'
4. Why did the LCRA take him out of sight to give him a sobriety test?
5. Did the officer standing between the group on the boat and Benson witness what was taking place?

Just a few things that seem fishy.

lostaussie
05-08-2008, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I'm just curious why she wanted dad to call 911...........hell, i thought they were already there:thinking: It's kinda like "Dad could you call 911 so a few more cops can come and whip Cedrics a$$" :D

g$$
05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
You think that's bad Russ, go read what Benson has to say (Chicago paper) in my thread today. Major inconsistencies in 2 stories & somebody is lying...

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 08:59 AM
well...first off. They can ask you to say your ABC's and perform a couple other tests while on the boat which is in the water. To complete a sobriety test, to check balance and motor skills they have to get you off the boat onto land. From everything I have read, it seemed like they were trying to get Benson off the boat and he wasn't excited about that and that is when the macing incident occured. It's ALWAYS going to be the police's words against Benson's words. So I guess believe what you want! :)

g$$
05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
It's kinda like "Dad could you call 911 so a few more cops can come and whip Cedrics a$$" :D

Did her cell phone & everybody else's fall in the water? Why couldn't she or others there call 911?

There's a pic of Benson, Deon Beasley, Benson's mom, & the boat party on texags.com (football thread Cedric Benson)...the witness Cartwright supposedly took it.

g$$
05-08-2008, 09:03 AM
It's ALWAYS going to be the police's words against Benson's words. :)

And let me tell you from experience, that is no fun in Travis County Court...

44INAROW
05-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Did her cell phone & everybody else's fall in the water? Why couldn't she or others there call 911?

There's a pic of Benson, Deon Beasley, Benson's mom, & the boat party on texags.com (football thread Cedric Benson)...the witness Cartwright supposedly took it.

I can't find the picture. is the thread in the A&M Football - Cedric Benson thread?

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
It's kinda like "Dad could you call 911 so a few more cops can come and whip Cedrics a$$" :D

i shouldnt laugh at that but...

g$$
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I can't find the picture. is the thread in the A&M Football - Cedric Benson thread?

Yes, saw it last night on page 2 of that thread. I will check to see if it was removed. Look again too...

g$$
05-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by g$$
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/cs-080504-cedric-benson-arrested-chicago-bears,0,4171282.story

**Notice what article says about BWI being the same in Texas as DWI by law...

This could get interesting if his story has merit & witnesses can back it up.

Benson speaks...

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Benson speaks...
that article has been out since Monday...

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 09:40 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-05/38611172.jpeg

Bears running back Cedric Benson (left), with his mother Jackie Benson (center) and friend Deon Beasley on Cedric Benson's boat on Lake Travis outside Austin, Texas, on Saturday, May 3. This picture was taken a few hours before Benson was arrested by Lower Colorado River Authority officers. (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Cartwright / May 7, 2008)

Adidas410s
05-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Bud Light and Level Vodka...I feel sorry for those people! :rolleyes:

Sweetwater Red
05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Bud Light and Level Vodka...I feel sorry for those people! :rolleyes:

And mom right in the middle of it.:doh: :dispntd:

Oh! and my sig can beat up your sig.:D

pirate4state
05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Please, do we need eleventy-three different threads???

kaorder1999
wonder if he had enough life vests for EVERYONE on board? Thats a pretty good sized ticket as well. Pocket change for him though!

waterboy
I agree with this statement. I'll add, as someone who has experience in being mistreated by law enforcement, and who has been inebriated a few times (:D ), I can promise you it didn't happen the way the girl described. Come on now, it was 9:30 PM! She says she had only 1 drink and Cedric only had 2? That statement right there tells me to doubt her side of the story. Those officers were probably overzealous in their actions, no doubt, but if he says he (or anyone else - no matter who they are or what race they are) "ain't going to shore", then those cops are going to FORCE you to go to shore. I, as someone who's been there, can tell you it probably happened a little more like the officers reported. I'm not placing guilt on either party, but my gut tells me that Cedric needs to face the music (so to speak), and get this episode behind him.

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 09:48 AM
i never thought about that...it was that late? Yeah...im guessing they had a few more to drink then that. But on occasions I have been at parties like that where I didn't drink while others did.

g$$
05-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Please, do we need eleventy-three different threads???

Still wondering who "CEDERIC Benson" is anyway?

;)

What's wrong with Bud Light?

Count guys, girls, & others in that pic...hmmm

NastySlot
05-08-2008, 09:59 AM
maybe I don't know...he should have just gotten his ^$$ off the boat like he was told to do?......maybe it's just me...but a-hole cop or not....i do what the officer tells me to do.....and if the girl has a phone more then likely it has a video cam. on it...in today's world that incident gets recorded.....where's the video?

pirate4state
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Still wondering who "CEDERIC Benson" is anyway?

;)

I don't know what you are talking about! :p :D

g$$
05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
I don't know what you are talking about! :p :D

You have magical editing powers too! :)

g$$
05-08-2008, 10:10 AM
On the pic: all of those girls look like skanks. The only decent one is dead-center in white. But hey, they're having fun I guess.

nobogey72
05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2008-05/38611172.jpeg

Bears running back Cedric Benson (left), with his mother Jackie Benson (center) and friend Deon Beasley on Cedric Benson's boat on Lake Travis outside Austin, Texas, on Saturday, May 3. This picture was taken a few hours before Benson was arrested by Lower Colorado River Authority officers. (Photo courtesy of Elizabeth Cartwright / May 7, 2008)

I guess I notice strange things but..... The shadows in that pic make it look like Cedrick and his buddy are wearing 2-piece bathing suits. :doh: :eek: :eek: :D

waterboy
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by g$$
On the pic: all of those girls look like skanks. The only decent one is dead-center in white. But hey, they're having fun I guess.
I'm sorry, but all these girls are skanks IMO.:ack!:

g$$
05-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by waterboy

Agreed, I used the word ALL in my post above!

nobogey72
05-08-2008, 10:26 AM

Why's that? :confused:

g$$
05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Why's that? :confused:

Simply not cute & look trashy to me. Not playing race card or relationship this or that. Girl in white is decent.

To each his/her own...that's it.

nobogey72
05-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Simply not cute & look trashy to me. Not playing race card or relationship this or that. Girl in white is decent.

To each his/her own...that's it.

My question "Why's that?" was actually to Waterboy, but I think I already knew the answer to my question before I asked it. :(

g$$
05-08-2008, 10:50 AM
My question "Why's that?" was actually to Waterboy, but I think I already knew the answer to my question before I asked it. :(

Sorry, just didn't want any confusion or anything like that.

Moving on...

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 10:51 AM
something i just thought about...if all of this happened out there on the cove, how did someone NOT see what was happening? They were all out on the water right?

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 10:52 AM
i can understand them not seeing what happened on land but everyone had to of seen what happened on the boat....and whether or not he refused to go to land to complete the tests...

waterboy
05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
nobogey72, don't make assumptions. Everybody has their own opinions, and I stated mine. It's as simple as that and I won't elaborate any further.

SWMustang
05-08-2008, 11:07 AM
nobogey72, don't make assumptions. Everybody has their own opinions, and I stated mine. It's as simple as that and I won't elaborate any further.

please elaborate.

pirate4state
05-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Just a word of advice. If you want to continue to discuss the arrest & events leading up to it and the aftermath, that's fine.

If you start to make it about race or anything else, it will get shut down.

nobogey72
05-08-2008, 11:27 AM

Cool !!!:)

waterboy
05-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Movin' on........

SWMustang
05-08-2008, 12:49 PM
Just a word of advice. If you want to continue to discuss the arrest & events leading up to it and the aftermath, that's fine.

If you start to make it about race or anything else, it will get shut down.

I think race WAS involved in the aftermath. That's how the story reads. Can you clarify the admin's policy on that?

pirate4state
05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I think race WAS involved in the aftermath. That's how the story reads. Can you clarify the admin's policy on that? Check your PMs

jason
05-08-2008, 12:57 PM
i wonder why they gave the sobriety test if the boat was parked - couldnt somebody who was not drinking said that he was driving, much like you have a designated driver when you go out to the bar??

g$$
05-08-2008, 12:59 PM
I think race WAS involved in the aftermath. That's how the story reads. Can you clarify the admin's policy on that?

Not a Mod or anything else, but do we really need to go there?

(self-explanatory & only COULD cause trouble, right?)

DaHop72
05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by g$$

(self-explanatory & only COULD cause trouble, right?) :thinking: :thinking: Voice of experience maybe??:thinking:

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by jason
i wonder why they gave the sobriety test if the boat was parked - couldnt somebody who was not drinking said that he was driving, much like you have a designated driver when you go out to the bar??

jason, i believe when it comes to boating, the boat is being used even when just "parked" out on water since its floating. For instance, even with the engine off, the boat can still move and you are supposed to be sober. Just like a row boat with no engine, you can still be charged with the same Boating While Intoxicated crime and since Benson was the registered owner Im guessing that is how they were able to just test him

g$$
05-08-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by jason

All about placing someone behind the wheel, just like a car. You can be parked & passed out & still get a DWI. But, if you wreck & get out walking, even though car is nearby, you can only get a PI. Loophole in law - my friend used it once & got charged with another offense but not the BIG ONE.

Plus, said designated driver could be tested too if that is the case. Evidently Benson claimed ownership & said he was the "driver".

kaorder1999
05-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by g$$
All about placing someone behind the wheel, just like a car. You can be parked & passed out & still get a DWI. But, if you wreck & get out walking, even though car is nearby, you can only get a PI. Loophole in law - my friend used it once & got charged with another offense but not the BIG ONE.

Plus, said designated driver could be tested too if that is the case. Evidently Benson claimed ownership & said he was the "driver".
but like I said earlier, just floating with the engine off in a boat is the same as driving a car...and if I remember right its when a boat is a certain size or bigger or something....i cant remember all the details

g$$
05-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:thinking: :thinking: Voice of experience maybe??:thinking:

I have never said or done anything racist on this board, thanks. A&M/Texas threads are a different deal & you know it. I could care less who dates whom. I live my own life & am proud to have friends & associates of all races, colors & creeds. Let's move on.

g$$
05-08-2008, 01:12 PM
but like I said earlier, just floating with the engine off in a boat is the same as driving a car...and if I remember right its when a boat is a certain size or bigger or something....i cant remember all the details

I agree, basically we are saying the same thing.

DaHop72
05-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I have never said or done anything racist on this board, thanks. A&M/Texas threads are a different deal & you know it. I could care less who dates whom. I live my own life & am proud to have friends & associates of all races, colors, & creeds. :thinking: And how many threads have you started about UT that you knew when you started them that they were going to cause trouble and be closed. Should be self-explanatory as well by now.:hand:

g$$
05-08-2008, 01:23 PM
:thinking: And how many threads have you started about UT that you knew when you started them that they were going to cause trouble and be closed. Should be self-explanatory as well by now.:hand:

You trying to pick a fight? Obviously this is a sensitive issue for some so maybe you should "da hop" on somewhere else.

Do I make you read my threads or posts? Do I make it required reading for you? Do I care if you like it or what you think? Do I care if you are a t-shirt fan offended by facts?

NO on all accounts. Give it a rest.

DaHop72
05-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by g$$
You trying to pick a fight? Obviously this is a sensitive issue for some so maybe you should "da hop" on somewhere else.

Do I make you read my threads or posts? Do I make it required reading for you? Do I care if you like it or what you think? Do I care if you are a t-shirt fan offended by facts?

NO on all accounts. Give it a rest. Number 1, not one to pick fights.

I'm happen to also know this is a sensitive subject, I've seen plenty of threads closed over the same issue thus p4s warning and since I live in a free country I'll "da hop" when I get ready.

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a t-shirt fan, could really care less whether the Longhorns or Aggies win when they play.

And as to what you care about, it's obvious to all that it is to stir the pot.:stirpot: :stirpot:

Carry on, I could care less.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

g$$
05-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Number 1, not one to pick fights.

I'm happen to also know this is a sensitive subject, I've seen plenty of threads closed over the same issue thus p4s warning and since I live in a free country I'll "da hop" when I get ready.

Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not a t-shirt fan, could really care less whether the Longhorns or Aggies win when they play.

And as to what you care about, it's obvious to all that it is to stir the pot.:stirpot: :stirpot:

Carry on, I could care less.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You care enough to open threads & give your 2 cents, huh?

Now "da hop" away.

DaHop72
05-08-2008, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Now "da hop" away. http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5809/roflsmiliemn4.gifhttp://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5809/roflsmiliemn4.gifhttp://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5809/roflsmiliemn4.gifhttp://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5809/roflsmiliemn4.gif

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6639/lafxv3.gifhttp://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6639/lafxv3.gif

:hand: :hand:

SWMustang
05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by g$$

(self-explanatory & only COULD cause trouble, right?)
A lot of things COULD happen. I would oppose anyone injecting race into a story if it's not part of the story. That is clearly not the case here. It was reported in the paper of a possible race angle.

g$$
05-08-2008, 02:13 PM
A lot of things COULD happen. I would oppose anyone injecting race into a story if it's not part of the story. That is clearly not the case here. It was reported in the paper of a possible race angle.

Gotcha, wondered about that all along esp. after phone calls of supposed witness & then her dad. See what happens.

pirate4state
05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
:blahblah: :vrycnfsd: :blahblah:

What happened again? LOL

LH Panther Mom
05-08-2008, 09:59 PM
Seems like "someone" captured video and it's supposed to be on the news. :thinking:

Eh, it was video from the jail. :rolleyes: Whoop-ti-do.

Emerson1
05-08-2008, 10:30 PM
:thinking: And how many threads have you started about UT that you knew when you started them that they were going to cause trouble and be closed. Should be self-explanatory as well by now.:hand:
He just makes them to inform, duh.