PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Blake: failed drug test at Combine...

g$$
05-07-2008, 08:24 AM
I mentioned this vaguely the other day, but now media outlets are reporting it so I can too. Lance Zierlein is a Houston radio guy (now 1560 AM after moving from 610 AM). His father is the PITT Steelers offensive line coach currently (has worked in college & pro ball), plus Lance is connected with scouts, etc. all over the league. Lance told me in an email that Tommy Blake failed a drug test when I inquired about the Texans possibly being interested in signing him as a FA (he went undrafted after senior year troubles & weight gain at TCU). Everyone knows Blake had bipolar disorder/clinical depression issues at TCU last year. It appears the situation is worse than that. I hope the Aranasas Pass product can get his life together & get a shot soon. No doubt he is talented when healthy & in shape. He was projected to be a top 15, 1st round pick entering senior year as a speed rushing DE who could also play the run well. Sad story.

From www.chron.com & the Z Report blog...

Question was how about Tommy Blake as an NFL player?

"If we lived in a perfect world and he didn't gain that weight and never failed drug tests and didn't have problems with being bi-polar, then he would be fine. However, all of those other issues are at hand and they are keeping him from fulfilling his potential on the field." --Lance Zierlein

g$$
05-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Last I checked, Tommy Blake had not signed with anyone as a FA. Anybody know differently? Thanks.