PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite athlete

CenTexSports
05-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Rick Ankiel for the St. Louis Cardinals. He was a very good pitcher that lost his ability to throw the ball over the plate. Instead of bombing out, he went back to the minors and started playing the outfield. He is now the starting centerfielder for the Cardinals. Last night he hit another home run and threw out two runners at third base from the warning track. Both plays were number one on Sports Center top plays of the day.

To me, this is what athetics and being a world class athlete is all about. The love of the game and giving everything you have.

ASUFrisbeeStud
05-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Rick Ankiel for the St. Louis Cardinals. He was a very good pitcher that lost his ability to throw the ball over the plate. Instead of bombing out, he went back to the minors and started playing the outfield. He is now the starting centerfielder for the Cardinals. Last night he hit another home run and threw out two runners at third base from the warning track. Both plays were number one on Sports Center top plays of the day.

To me, this is what athetics and being a world class athlete is all about. The love of the game and giving everything you have.

Wasn't he mentioned several times in the Mitchell report for using HGH?

CenTexSports
05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I think he admitted to using it to try to work through some injuries.

g$$
05-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by ASUFrisbeeStud
Wasn't he mentioned several times in the Mitchell report for using HGH?

Yes, he was mentioned & admitted using it to help recover from injuries. However, the only way that is legal is with a doctor's prescription. He didn't have one. The drugs were sent to his house. He is the starting CF for St. Louis after moving from being a stud phenom lefty who suddenly could not find the plate (remember playoff game & wild pitches?). Has some pop in his bat too. He went down back thru the minors as an OF & made it back to The Show.

Fine athlete & great game last night (2-5 w/ HR & 2 amazing OF assists), but he is nowhere near one of my favorites unless you condone performance-enhancing drugs.

Plus he plays for Tony LaRussa who thinks he invented Abner Doubleday's great game!

nobogey72
05-07-2008, 11:28 AM
If taking HGH to speed up the healing process is the worst thing he has ever done, then I would say he is pretty squeaky clean by today's standards. How many dead beat dads, absentee dads, the list goes on and on of things that are not illegal but in my book are far worse than using a PHG. How many of us would be comfortable with someone digging around in our personal lives? And, I'm not ragging on anyone at all, but this thread is pretty typical of a mentality (myself included) that is pretty sad. Centex posts something positive about someone, and boom, here come the shots. That just seems to be the way the world is today. Bad news, crime, negative things in general seem to be what everyone wants to hear and talk about.:( :(

g$$
05-08-2008, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
If taking HGH to speed up the healing process is the worst thing he has ever done, then I would say he is pretty squeaky clean by today's standards. How many dead beat dads, absentee dads, the list goes on and on of things that are not illegal but in my book are far worse than using a PHG. How many of us would be comfortable with someone digging around in our personal lives? And, I'm not ragging on anyone at all, but this thread is pretty typical of a mentality (myself included) that is pretty sad. Centex posts something positive about someone, and boom, here come the shots. That just seems to be the way the world is today. Bad news, crime, negative things in general seem to be what everyone wants to hear and talk about.:( :(

I was not bashing Centex at all. He has every right to like the guy.

I just don't believe that using HGH to help recover from injuries was his only motive. It can be used that way, yes, but it also has other benefits too. I have friends who have used it - & guess what - it works! So do steroids. And both are illegal without a prescription, which he did not have. He was looking to gain an edge like so many others.

Where do we draw the line? I root for the Astros & Tejada is in the Mitchell Report too. It's a tough deal & morality call I guess. What do you believe & what would you do in their shoes? I have said many times I would be tempted if in their shoes. It's their livelihood & lots of $$/fame/etc. is on the line.

Plus, I can't stand LaRussa & the Cards! My girlfriend thinks Ankiel's hot btw, but I never liked him as a pitcher either. Very cocky but a fine athlete. Going from MLB pitcher to MLB OF is amazing no doubt. Very few could ever do that after years away from the position.

(& I agree with you about the daily news & negativity in our world in general)