PDA

View Full Version : Astros game behind plate...

g$$
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Look right behind left-handers' batters box on 1st base side:

A&M senior basketball players Joseph Jones & Dominique Kirk sitting in 1st row (just down from 41st President Bush & wife).

Some big Aggie alum must have given them prime tix for game (eligibility exhausted). Just fyi..

2-1 Astros in 4th

Necks_Fan
05-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Now 3-2 Nats in the top of the 5th. Chacon looking a little sloppy giving up 2 doubles this inning.

He is coming off of his worst start of the year giving up 5 ER in just 5 innings, so I'm hoping the wheels don't fall off the wagon here.

Let's go Chacon!

Necks_Fan
05-06-2008, 08:33 PM
Wow!

Pence just made a great outfield assist throwing the runner out at home after a base hit to right field to prevent another run from scoring.

zebrablue2
05-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Wow!

Pence just made a great outfield assist throwing the runner out at home after a base hit to right field to prevent another run from scoring.

pence throwing motion is very funny looking, but he has a GUN. great play. :clap:

Necks_Fan
05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Also just hit a bloop single to right to score Berkman. Tie game!

Berkman= 3-3

Lee= 2-2 Bb

Necks_Fan
05-06-2008, 09:34 PM
Tie ball game after the Balk was issued.

4-4

Nice

Speaking of 4-4, berkman's average is up to .340 something.

He has 2 doubles and 2 singles tonight!

:clap:

Astrosdawg07
05-06-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Necks_Fan
Tie ball game after the Balk was issued.

4-4

Nice

Speaking of 4-4, berkman's average is up to .340 something.

He has 2 doubles and 2 singles tonight!

:clap:

I'm an umpire and to be honest I don't think I make that call, I hate giving teams runs like that. that was very close imo...But hey i'm glad it went in our favor :D

Necks_Fan
05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I'm an umpire and to be honest I don't think I make that call, I hate giving teams runs like that. that was very close imo...But hey i'm glad it went in our favor :D He stepped about halfway between home and 3rd, and it could have gone either way, but I'm glad as well.

GO HOUSTON!

Bull19
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
I'm an umpire and to be honest I don't think I make that call, I hate giving teams runs like that. that was very close imo...But hey i'm glad it went in our favor :D your right. that was the 3rd base umprie's call, the ump behind the plate really shouldnt have made it

zebrablue2
05-06-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
your right. that was the 3rd base umprie's call, the ump behind the plate really shouldnt have made it

what do you know? you are a lefty anyway, LOL...

Old Tiger
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
astros suck

Necks_Fan
05-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Well guys.

That's what I call clutch!

6-5 Houston in the bottom of the 8th.

Berkman is now 5-5!

Avg up over .350 now.

Necks_Fan
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Houston wins!

If I'm not mistaken, they are now 17-16!

zebrablue2
05-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
astros suck

suckers WIN--6-5 to go 1 above .500... GO STROS...

sahen
05-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Some big Aggie alum must have given them prime tix for game (eligibility exhausted). Just fyi..

hope they covered their tracks...ask Kansas fans about giving stuff after their elgibility is exhausted, just as against the rules as doing while they are there....

Old Tiger
05-06-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
suckers WIN--6-5 to go 1 above .500... GO STROS... like being 1 game above .500 is something to be proud of....

still about 4 games back of the leader

Emerson1
05-06-2008, 10:16 PM
like being 1 game above .500 is something to be proud of....

Get your Red Sox jersey cleaned yet?

Old Tiger
05-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Get your Red Sox jersey cleaned yet? :confused: :confused:

sahen
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
like being 1 game above .500 is something to be proud of....

they are 11-4 in their last 15 games....it appears they are at least headed in the right direction....

Old Tiger
05-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by sahen
they are 11-4 in their last 15 games....it appears they are at least headed in the right direction.... yup a direction of disappointment when they fail to reach the playoffs.

Bull Butter
05-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Get your Red Sox jersey cleaned yet?

Or your Diamondbacks T-shirt out of the wash???

Panther One
05-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Does anybody know the records for most consecutive no-decisions to start a season or most consecutive no-decisions overall? The record for most no-decisions in a season is 20, by Burt Blyleven while with Pittsburg.

Chacon now has seven consecutive no-decisions to start the year, with the first five being quality starts. Tonight (7 IP, 4 ER) wasn't bad, either. I figure his first decision will be a complete game 1-0 loss.

g$$
05-07-2008, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Panther One
Does anybody know the records for most consecutive no-decisions to start a season or most consecutive no-decisions overall? The record for most no-decisions in a season is 20, by Burt Blyleven while with Pittsburg.

Chacon now has seven consecutive no-decisions to start the year, with the first five being quality starts. Tonight (7 IP, 4 ER) wasn't bad, either. I figure his first decision will be a complete game 1-0 loss.

On the postgame show, they said Chacon just set the Astros' record w/ 7 NDs to start the season. The record I believe in MLB is held by Dick Stigman (Twins maybe?) to start a season (like 8 but not sure). They had a graphic on tv Tues. night on this. Bert Blyleven when at PITT did have 20 like you said. Blyleven should be in the HOF btw, fine pitcher w/ one of the best curveballs in history. Career #s & ERA are very good & very durable. Chacon has been pretty darn good all things considered. His last 2 outings have been so-so but 1st 5 starts were stellar. You take that every day of the week from your 4th starter.

On the balk, that can be called by any of the umps. HP ump Brian Runge (a jerk btw living off family name of dad & grandfather, both legendary MLB umps) ruled he did not step more towards 3B than home plate, just like a lefty going to 1B vs. home plate. Judgement call & I'll take it. He ruled he committed to the plate, thus deceiving runners when he then kicked to fake to 3B/1B deal, which is legal of course (if he steps directly toward 3B) since both are occupied if he goes to 3B first. Balk rule is very subjective. Brian Runge is regularly voted one of the worst in game along with CB Bucknor, Angel Hernandez, etc. by anonymous players' poll.

Hey Blue: keep dogging the Astros, we like it. Team is rebuilding but fun to watch. Just recently had a stretch of 6/9 playoff years & a WS appearance. Last 2 years have been not so good. If we can replenish the farm & get some more arms, look out. Ed Wade & Bobby Heck are charged with those duties. Name to watch out for: AA CC pitcher Bud Norris, may be ready by next year if not sooner. Brad James is another along with Sammy Gervacio. Replenishing the farm thru the draft takes time after Tim Purpura's mess, so trades & FA likely in the interim. Fernando Nieve is close after surgery & let's hope Felipe Paulino & Paul Estrada get healthy too. All 3 of those guys (power arms) would help staff (Sampson, Moehler, Borkowski, etc. see ya then). I hope Cassel comes back up soon for Sampson's spot.

17-16 in NL Central - you never know - at least this team is entertaining & has some fight.

g$$
05-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by sahen
hope they covered their tracks...ask Kansas fans about giving stuff after their elgibility is exhausted, just as against the rules as doing while they are there....

Both have graduated to my knowledge & working out in Houston for possible pro career (probably at Plex in Stafford w/ Danny Arnold), so they are fine.

"Extra Benefits Rule" applies to athletes receiving something the normal student does not, but since they are done & no longer on scholarship = no infraction. That is the way I understand it.

I guarantee you somebody made sure of this before they accepted $$ seats behind the plate on tv!

Refresh my memory on the KU case please...

g$$
05-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Panther One

More...

Shawn Chacon is the first Astros pitcher in history to have seven straight no-decisions. Mike Scott had six straight no-decisions in 1984-85.

sahen
05-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by g$$

Refresh my memory on the KU case please...

Dont remember the exact situation but KU players were getting benefits from alums after they graduated, like money, cars, etc...I think this was during the Roy Williams era up there...anyway he claimed he didnt know that if the player graduated they couldnt get benefits and the NCAA punished their women's basketball team or something for it (sarcasm though i wouldnt be shocked)...I think they may have lost a scholorship or something since Williams claimed he didnt know, anyway you cant give benefits to players no matter when they graduated or what the gift is you ahve to go through the NCAA first, whether you get caught or not is another thing but if that is true then its a violation of the rule...but who knows, they are workign out in Houston you said and McGrady is a huge astros fan apparantly, maybe they made some NBA friends while working out and got the tickets, not completely outa the question....

sahen
05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
yup a direction of disappointment when they fail to reach the playoffs.

considering the expectations for the Astros this year as long as they are in the race for the playoffs come september then that will be a success...it sure beats the alternative...

DaHop72
05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
Get your Red Sox jersey cleaned yet? Give Go Blue a break, Liberty Hill doesn't have a professional baseball team.:D :D

Maroon87
05-07-2008, 03:59 PM
astros suck

Very original.

Necks_Fan
05-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Well guys, Who cares about all that other crap?

The 'Stros are losing 2-0 after Oswalt got rocked for his 10th Hr on his ONLY mistake of the night, but he has also struck out 7 straight batters.

We are in the 3rd inning with one aout and he has struck out 7!

Unbelievable!

Also, Berkman now has 7 consecutive hits over his last 3 games. Nice!

sahen
05-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Oswalt looks wicked today...they aren't seeing his curveball at all...8 K's through 3 innings

Necks_Fan
05-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Well guys.

Berkman is

4-5
5-5
2-2 over his last 3 games now.

He just hit a lead-off Hr to give him 11 now and 33 Rbi's.

Then, Oswalt helps his own cause getting a 2 run single to give the 'Stros the lead.

Remarkable!

Gobbla2001
05-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm loving the Astros right now...

Big Puma's doing the bull dance... feelin' the flow...

Necks_Fan
05-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Astros win again!

Lee gets the game winner again and they win 4-3.

They are now 18-16.

Go Houston!

Fal44
05-08-2008, 12:12 AM
18-16, I watched most of the game and liked what I saw out of Oswalt today... dang he really does work fast on that mound...

g$$
05-08-2008, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Fal44
18-16, I watched most of the game and liked what I saw out of Oswalt today... dang he really does work fast on that mound...

You are so right there...Roy O. doesn't mess around. He pitches like he has a plane to catch. I love it as a former infielder, keeps you on your toes.

Nice win again, let's sweep before the big road trip. Matsui scores anyway from 3B, but terrible effort by L. Milledge in CF to not even catch the Lee liner. You make the play & give it a shot at plate - what if runner falls down or something? Milledge is very talented & such a head case too. Go 'Stros!