PDA

View Full Version : Running Back Drills

riverboat gambler
10-26-2002, 11:10 PM
I have a good young running back but I cannot get him to run behind his pads. He is fast enough now that he wants to use his speed and bounce everything outside and outrun people. Does anyone have a suggestion on a drill that I could use to teach him to run behind his pads. He needs to learn now before he gets into a bad habit.
Help please!!!

QBKilla
10-27-2002, 01:29 AM
There is a machine called the blaster that makes you get low and run hard. It has like big padded arms that hit you in the knees and the shoulders. If you run through low its not that bad but if you stand up it hurts like hell. There is another drill we do at Barbers Hill called the sideline drill. You get 4 people on dummies 5 yards apart and 2 yards from the sideline. You pitch the back the ball and have the people holding the dummies try to give him a shot and knock him out of bounds. It forces him to lower his shoulder and deliver a blow while staying in bounds.

Jacket2000
10-27-2002, 04:18 AM
Set up 4 cones, two on each end, about 15 yards apart longways, about 3 yards apart shortways. Put a RB at one end with the ball, put a defensive player at the other end. Have the RB run to the other end(15 yards) with the ball, while staying within the cones(3 yards) and have the defensive player try to stop him. No blockers, no outside. It's either hit or be hit. Also, you can use two defensive players and a much shorter "field" for short-yardage-type running.
J2K