PDA

View Full Version : North Texas loses 5 football scholarships

kepdawg
05-06-2008, 03:01 PM
North Texas will lose five scholarships in football and one in men's basketball after the NCAA released its annual report on the Academic Progress Rates for its member institutions - a four-year look at graduation rates culminating with the 2006-07 academic year.

LINK (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/05/apr-penalties-announced-north-texas-one.html)

jimmyceatworld
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
SHSU lost .01 of a baseball scholarship? OUCH!!!

g$$
05-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by jimmyceatworld
SHSU lost .01 of a baseball scholarship? OUCH!!!

In baseball, that is actually a loss. You only have 11.7 scholarships for the whole team (25-30 guys). D1 baseball players rarely get full rides. I get your point, but coaches will recruit you with a dollar figure in mind (books, etc.). I went thru this once upon a time. If you get 25-40% in baseball that is pretty darn good. Starting next year, rosters will be reduced & scholarship guys have to get 33% by NCAA rule.

Softball gets more scholarships than baseball. Women's basketball gets more than men's basketball. Same with track. All of this is Title IX gender equity related. Football is a head count sport & gets 85 full rides (no partials, all or none).

The new NCAA APR has some teeth. Schools will have to comply or lose scholarships. I like the emphasis on academics, finally.