PDA

View Full Version : Pet question

pirate4state
05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Does anyone have a pet that is TERRIFIED of thunderstorms??

I have 3 dogs and the biggest one is just a nervous wreck anytime it storms. LOL.

I feel bad for him, but at the same time it's kinda funny since he's the biggest one!!!

BreckTxLonghorn
05-05-2008, 11:33 AM
My ex-girlfriend's dog (chihuahua/weiner mix) was petrified. I remember waking up one morning and not finding her, only to see her curled up and shaking behind the toilet as I got ready for work. Also saw her make a 'fort' with my clothes that were on the ground in my closet one time. Sad she was so scared, but kind of funny/cute too.

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
we had one that was that way. My dad would get some kind of sedatives from the vet that we would give him prior to a storm so he could relax.

He was a Black Lab/Chow mix. Have always heard that labs are instinctivly afraid of the sound of thunder/gunshots

3afan
05-05-2008, 11:36 AM
yes - my Golden Retriever is .....

tigerfan69
05-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

I have 3 dogs and the biggest one is just a nervous wreck anytime it storms. LOL.

I feel bad for him, but at the same time it's kinda funny since he's the biggest one!!!

I had a Golden Retriever when i was younger that was the same way.As long as he was inside he was fine.He was the best guard dog my family ever had.If any of our friends came over we would have to put him in the back part of the yard or even if family would.I can remember coming home one day and found the preacher on top of his car.That was funny.His job was to protect us and that is what he was doing.I have a small dog that is the same way also.

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 11:52 AM
Tips for Dogs Afraid of Thunderstorms

Many dogs are afraid of thunderstorms, and dog owners are often looking for some suggestions on dealing with this problem.

1. Be careful not to comfort your dog in a sympathetic voice when the dog acts afraid. This can make your dog feel even more than there really is something to fear. Instead of a sympathetic voice, use a happy, jolly, playful voice--a hearty voice. This may help give your dog confidence. If you can get your dog to play with you during a storm, that is ideal.

2. Some dogs will need medication to cope with this. Your veterinarian can help there. Also, ask the veterinarian if it would be safe to try Rescue Remedy with your dog. That is not a veterinary medication, but some people report good results from it. Your vet will know if it's okay to try with your dog.

3. Be sure to provide your dog with a safe place to be during storms, and not outside. Many dogs have been lost when they ran from their fenced yards in terror during storms. Your dog may want to rest in a dog crate in a quiet room.

4. Some people also report their dogs do better with some background noise from television or radio, though I've not noticed it made any difference with dogs of my own who were nervous about storms. People also sometimes help these dogs by making an audiotape of thunder noises, and playing it softly, then gradually louder and louder, until the dog gets used to it. That wouldn't fool my dogs, either, but you might want to try it.

I hope you are able to get your dog comfortable about storms. This fear can get worse as a dog ages, until the dog loses hearing. Some dogs will throw up from this fear, and some will break out of houses, crashing through windows or doors. So you do want to help your dog feel better about it.

ronwx5x
05-05-2008, 12:41 PM

We had a Springer Spaniel (not small) who was so frightened she would rip the facing off around the back door trying to get in the house. My wife and I worked so we had no means of "sheltering" or "comforting" her. We had a wooden fence she also tore down to get out! That is really frightened!

Sweetwater Red
05-05-2008, 12:44 PM

I have two small mutts. One acts like it's no big deal. The other
one barks like there is an intruder every time it thunders.:doh: :D

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 01:03 PM
What is a thunderstorm??:confused: :thinking: :confused: :thinking: :p

I honestly don't know if mine are scared of them or not...I know they are terrified of fireworks and motorcycles though!!

Reds fan
05-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

He was a Black Lab/Chow mix. Have always heard that labs are instinctivly afraid of the sound of thunder/gunshots

Labs instinctively afraid of gunshots???? That is completely new to me as they are a hunting breed, none of the labs I have owned have been gun shy!

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Reds fan
Labs instinctively afraid of gunshots???? That is completely new to me as they are a hunting breed, none of the labs I have owned have been gun shy!

Maybe the chow in it?

Reds fan
05-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Maybe the chow in it?

Possibly....but reference was to the line that labs are instinctively afraid of thunder/gunshots.

I think most cases are based on individual dogs personality. I know when starting training on a gun dog pup a very good tip is to create loud noises around the pup while it is doing something it enjoys. Examples: while pup is feeding drop a book on the floor or while playing have someone set off a firecracker in the background. This helps to associate loud noises with an enjoyable experience for the pup.

Bearkat
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
I used to have a boxer that hated storms. She would leave her doghouse and knock on the back door until we let her in. Once inside she was fine. She would actually stand at the window to look out as if she were watching it rain. When the storm was gone she would stand at the back door until we let her out.

BuffyMars
05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
our poor youngest baby who happens to be the only male cat is terrified.

he is so precious! i just feel soooo bad for him, he cowers and goes under the covers.

:crying:

CenTexSports
05-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Someone should call PETA and turn you all in for subjecting your dogs to things they are scared of. That is inhumane.

Txbroadcaster
05-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by BuffyMars
our poor youngest baby who happens to be the only male cat is terrified.

he is so precious! i just feel soooo bad for him, he cowers and goes under the covers.

:crying:

He will also belly crawl if he is not under the covers

BuffyMars
05-05-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
He will also belly crawl if he is not under the covers

or you can find him with his head buried in his paws by the stairs.

Txbroadcaster
05-05-2008, 03:47 PM
or you can find him with his head buried in his paws by the stairs.

OR..under a toilet lol

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 03:50 PM
that was my first thought about the labs...i was like...how is that when they are used as hunting dogs?

Silverback 04
05-05-2008, 03:51 PM
No but my neighbor has a chihuahua thats scared to death of peanut butter...not sure why.

BuffyMars
05-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
No but my neighbor has a chihuahua thats scared to death of peanut butter...not sure why.

probably because they have forcibly put it on his tongue and then laughed their butts off at it while it tries desperately licking it off and it gets stuck to the roof of its mouth, which in turn makes it stick its tongue out farther making it look like an anteater.

i have never tried this. and i do not know if this works on a chihuahua named gizmo. oh and benji.

oh and also on a mini pin named isis. oh and another mini pin named rocky.

i have no clue. im just saying.

Txbroadcaster
05-05-2008, 04:29 PM
probably because they have forcibly put it on his tongue and then laughed their butts off at it while it tries desperately licking it off and it gets stuck to the roof of its mouth, which in turn makes it stick its tongue out farther making it look like an anteater.

i have never tried this. and i do not know if this works on a chihuahua named gizmo. oh and benji.

or on cats either huh

g$$
05-05-2008, 05:52 PM

Yes. Our 6 lb. Shih-tzu hides & starts shaking before the storms even hit. Hides in closet or wherever. Pretty sad actually. I've had other dogs too (big & small) who get pretty scared too.

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 06:56 PM

Have you ever put tape on the bottom of a cats feet??

I swear, I haven't, but I saw it done before and couldn't help but laugh!!

Stownhorse
05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
My grandpa had a chow that would almost kill itself when it stormed. He would have to chain it up away from a fence because she would climb it and hang herself every time.

pirate4state
05-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
My grandpa had a chow that would almost kill itself when it stormed. He would have to chain it up away from a fence because she would climb it and hang herself every time. :(

My dogs roam free in the house ( :eek: ) so he just paces back & forth. Sometimes he'll hide under the table, but he likes hiding under the covers! LOL

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 07:51 PM
My grandpa had a chow that would almost kill itself when it stormed. He would have to chain it up away from a fence because she would climb it and hang herself every time.

I had a cocker spaniel like that. She would jump/climb the fence, if she was outside and a thunderstorm came.

I thought I lost her one time and found out a neighbor down the road had her...I had named her Sadie, but she named her Maggie.

I just decided that she could keep her, because my kids, who were little at the time, made her nervous.

I'll be darned if the next thunderstorm...she didn't end up back at my house...lol.

She went back and forth for about a year and half, and me and the neighbor became good friends....then one day, Sadie/Maggie decided to jump the fence and chase a cat across the street, where she ultimately met her demise!!:(

Stownhorse
05-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I had a cocker spaniel like that. She would jump/climb the fence, if she was outside and a thunderstorm came.

I thought I lost her one time and found out a neighbor down the road had her...I had named her Sadie, but she named her Maggie.

I just decided that she could keep her, because my kids, who were little at the time, made her nervous.

I'll be darned if the next thunderstorm...she didn't end up back at my house...lol.

She went back and forth for about a year and half, and me and the neighbor became good friends....then one day, Sadie/Maggie decided to jump the fence and chase a cat across the street, where she ultimately met her demise!!:(

Sad but funny how you put it lol

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Sad but funny how you put it lol

I feel kinda bad....all this talk about dogs being afraid of thunderstorms and I never once thought about Sadie....something in your post reminded me if her!!:doh: