PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about horse racing

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Given what happened to Eight Belles, where does everyone stand on the issue?

jason
05-05-2008, 11:00 AM
what happened?

was this on tv?

crzyjournalist03
05-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Eight Belles finished second in the Kentucky Derby, but broke both ankles in the process, and was euthanized on the track.

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 11:02 AM
Eight Belles broke both ankles after crossing the finish line of the Kentucky Derby and had to be put down on the track. Sad deal...

Horses just struggle making it back from injuries like that. With both broken, the horse wouldn't be able to hold up its own weight. They arent like dogs or humans....you cant just cast them both and wait for them to heal.

big daddy russ
05-05-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Given what happened to Eight Belles, where does everyone stand on the issue?
The humane thing to do.

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
The humane thing to do.

I'm not talking about putting her down. Obviously, it was the right thing.

I'm talking about horse racing, in general.

Estimates range from at least 500 to 800 horses are put down each year in America due to racing.

Not to mention, the horses are regularly pumped with drugs such as Lasix, anti-inflamtories and cortiscosteroids, to name a few.

Reds fan
05-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I do know the PETA people are all over this now:eek:

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 11:34 AM
I heard them talking on GMA this morning about cracking down the steroid use and doing something about a safer track surface.

pirate4state
05-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
I do know the PETA people are all over this now:eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Why am I not surprised!

Stownhorse
05-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm not talking about putting her down. Obviously, it was the right thing.

I'm talking about horse racing, in general.

Estimates range from at least 500 to 800 horses are put down each year in America due to racing.

Not to mention, the horses are regularly pumped with drugs such as Lasix, anti-inflamtories and cortiscosteroids, to name a few.

Its fun to spectate and waste or in some cases win money.

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Its fun to spectate and waste or in some cases win money.

Some folks think the same about dog fighting or cockfighting. :(

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM

but an animal will be put down or killed in almost every dog fight or cockfight....a horse doesn't get put down after every race

Stownhorse
05-05-2008, 12:03 PM

The horses aren't inflicting pain on each other either. Although a horse fight would be pretty cool to see.

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
but an animal will be put down or killed in almost every dog fight or cockfight....a horse doesn't get put down after every race

I guess that's true, but are you saying that it's not abuse since most don't lose their lives?

lakers
05-05-2008, 12:15 PM
I guess that's true, but are you saying that it's not abuse since most don't lose their lives?

Those horses are doing what they are breed to do...run.

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 12:22 PM
i wont say they are being abused because I know nothing about horse racing and the training on a horse!

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by lakers

You are missing the point completely.

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 12:43 PM
i wont say they are being abused because I know nothing about horse racing and the training on a horse!

Well, let me say that I haven't really paid much attention until recently. And the more I read, the more disgusting it becomes.

wildstangs
05-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I enjoy going to the races in Ruidoso. Never thought of it as being cruel to the horses. Seems to me like they are treated very well since they are such a HUGE investment.

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I enjoy going to the races in Ruidoso. Never thought of it as being cruel to the horses. Seems to me like they are treated very well since they are such a HUGE investment.

I would suggest, if you have time, do a little reading up on it.

In some respect, you could say they are "treated well", but only if you consider highly concentrated food that causes ulcers, rigourous training that begins as early as 12 months, pumped full of drugs, and significantly shorter life span, to mention just few, being "treated well".

Their treatment is not for their benefit, but their potential economic gain.

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 01:07 PM

And Vick's pitbulls were doing what they were bred to do......fight!!

I think horse racing....running while being beat with stick, is inhumane!!

Maybe I sympathize with PETA more than I realized!!:eek: :eek:

Old Tiger
05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I think people are cry babies. It's better for the horse than to try to save them because then they'll just get sick. Hell these horses are born and raised for racing and if it happens it happens so it's not a big deal. People just need to quit there damn crying.

Old Tiger
05-05-2008, 01:24 PM
Well, let me say that I haven't really paid much attention until recently. And the more I read, the more disgusting it becomes. well then you're an idiot and should do research

Old Tiger
05-05-2008, 01:28 PM
I would suggest, if you have time, do a little reading up on it.

In some respect, you could say they are "treated well", but only if you consider highly concentrated food that causes ulcers, rigourous training that begins as early as 12 months, pumped full of drugs, and significantly shorter life span, to mention just few, being "treated well".

Their treatment is not for their benefit, but their potential economic gain. Maybe you should do research both subjectively and objectively. You purchase a horse anywhere from $10,000-$10,000,000 sometimes lower sometimes higher. You have to break horses while young so the rigorous training isn't as much as you think and the stuff they are pumped full of is only to help them with travel and etc. It's like when you go to a hospital for something they give you what you need so shut up and quit trying to b**** about something that isn't there. If you don't understand horse racing you never will. Most horses you see in the Kentucky Derby and big horse sales have insurance policies so the owners can protect their investments.

jason
05-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
shut up and quit trying to b**** about something that isn't there

you're allowed to post the B word as long as you're not calling somebody that word...

:D :D :D

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 01:50 PM
well then you're an idiot and should do research

:clap: Yours is a very educated post, sir.

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by jason
you're allowed to post the B word as long as you're not calling somebody that word...

:D :D :D

Yep.....he should have actually done that before calling someone an idiot!

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Sounds like I've done more research than you.

[B]Maybe you should do research both subjectively and objectively. You purchase a horse anywhere from $10,000-$10,000,000 sometimes lower sometimes higher.

Who cares what they pay. That doesn't make it any more or less humane.

You have to break horses while young so the rigorous training isn't as much as you think

Breaking them...give me a break.

http://technology.newscientist.com/article/mg13718652.600-early-casualties-of-a-sporting-life-thoroughbred-racehorsesare-pampered-aristocrats-of-the-equine-world-but-many-have-their-careerscut-short-by-injuries-that-some-say-are-caused-by-pushing-them-too-hardtoosoon-.html

and the stuff they are pumped full of is only to help them with travel and etc. It's like when you go to a hospital for something they give you what you need so shut up and quit trying to b**** about something that isn't there.

IF you think they're only putting "good stuff" in them, you are either naive or uninformed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/sports/othersports/28horses.html

"There are trainers pumping horses full of illegal drugs every day," says a former Churchill Downs public relations director, "With so much money on the line, people will do anything to make their horses run faster."

Alex Straus, "Dark Horses," Maxim, May 2002

If you don't understand horse racing you never will.

What's to "understand"? Couldn't the same thing be said about dog fighting?

Most horses you see in the Kentucky Derby and big horse sales have insurance policies so the owners can protect their investments.

Again, how does this benefit the horses? This does nothing but protect the owner's "investment".

Are you sure about that?

SWMustang
05-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I've been to see the quarter horses at Sam Houston Race Park probably 100 timess and I've never seen them have to put a horse down. The veterinary care those horses get is top notch. The horses themselves are a little high strung and suited for racing. My father in law used to race them up until about 3 years ago and I saw how they were pampered.

The term "healthy as a horse" is misleading - they're prone to a lot of disorders and live a higher quality of life with human intervention than they would in the wild.

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:07 PM
You are missing the point completely.

which is???:thinking:

Old Tiger
05-05-2008, 02:09 PM

Who cares what they pay. That doesn't make it any more or less humane.

Breaking them...give me a break.

http://technology.newscientist.com/article/mg13718652.600-early-casualties-of-a-sporting-life-thoroughbred-racehorsesare-pampered-aristocrats-of-the-equine-world-but-many-have-their-careerscut-short-by-injuries-that-some-say-are-caused-by-pushing-them-too-hardtoosoon-.html

IF you think they're only putting "good stuff" in them, you are either naive or uninformed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/sports/othersports/28horses.html

"There are trainers pumping horses full of illegal drugs every day," says a former Churchill Downs public relations director, "With so much money on the line, people will do anything to make their horses run faster."

Alex Straus, "Dark Horses," Maxim, May 2002

What's to "understand"? Couldn't the same thing be said about dog fighting?

Again, how does this benefit the horses? This does nothing but protect the owner's "investment".

Are you sure about that? Ddue i've been around the horse business all my life i know the ends and outs of it.

Ask yourself what is more inhumane...
1) Performing surgery on a horse and causing him more infection and pain on something that is not even fixable. That horse is rendered worthless with two broken ankles. That would be worthless
or
2) Putting him down immediately and saving him from the pain and agony of the surgery/infections.

Pluse it beats the old way they used to do it w/ a gun ;)

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:11 PM
The big venue horse races probably treat their horses better than the smaller ones.

Lots of horses that are trained but don't make the cut go to the slaughter house.

My son...who has broke horses for a living AND hobby...and worked with a race horse rescue operation at one time will argue with anyone who says the majority of race horses are given the best care.

Those horses are in the minority!!!

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Ddue i've been around the horse business all my life i know the ends and outs of it.

Ask yourself what is more inhumane...
1) Performing surgery on a horse and causing him more infection and pain on something that is not even fixable. That horse is rendered worthless with two broken ankles. That would be worthless
or
2) Putting him down immediately and saving him from the pain and agony of the surgery/infections.

Pluse it beats the old way they used to do it w/ a gun ;)

Geez Casey....the "after injury" treatment isn't even what he is talking about??:doh:

Old Tiger
05-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Geez Casey....the "after injury" treatment isn't even what he is talking about??:doh: Okay then what's so inhumane then? NOTHING!

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Okay then what's so inhumane then? NOTHING!

As young and immature as you are, I wouldn't expect you to "get it" anyway!:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
05-05-2008, 02:16 PM
As young and immature as you are, I wouldn't expect you to "get it" anyway!:rolleyes: Sorry i'm not riding PETA's nutsack about this situation and it's ignorant if they jockey pulled up the horse prior to feeling anything in the horse so know she would go down. You race to win and that is what the jockey did so PETA needs to just shut up and quit digging their nose in stuff where it doesn't belong.

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Geez, this is the Global Warming thread all over again......:eek:

This is all based on opinions and it is apparent that nothing will be settled.

:hand:

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Sorry i'm not riding PETA's nutsack about this situation and it's ignorant if they jockey pulled up the horse prior to feeling anything in the horse so know she would go down. You race to win and that is what the jockey did so PETA needs to just shut up and quit digging their nose in stuff where it doesn't belong.

You still don't even have a clue Casey!!

I am not on PETA's nutsack...there are just things I personally don't like!!

I think horse racing, for the most part is inhumane, just as I do "dog racing!" Using steroids on animals (for the purpose of making them bigger/faster) isn't against the law, but that doesn't make it right either!!

I think guys/girls that feed deer all year long and then hide in deer blind and shoot the trained/unsuspecting deer are WUSSES! My opinion and entitled to it.

I have no problem with hunting...but for Pete's sake, make it fair!!

You can say whatever you want, you won't change my mind, so you are wasting your time with me!

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:22 PM
You still don't even have a clue Casey!!

I am not on PETA's nutsack...there are just things I personally don't like!!

I think horse racing, for the most part is inhumane, just as I do "dog racing!" Using steroids on animals (for the purpose of making them bigger/faster) isn't against the law, but that doesn't make it right either!!

I think guys/girls that feed deer all year long and then hide in deer blind and shoot the trained/unsuspecting deer are WUSSES! My opinion and entitled to it.

I have no problem with hunting...but for Pete's sake, make it fair!!

You can say whatever you want, you won't change my mind, so you are wasting your time with me!

I'M NOT A WUSS!!!!!!!!:taunt:

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 02:25 PM
im not a fan of deer hunting either

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:28 PM
im not a fan of deer hunting either

what about dove hunting??? Or quail hunting???

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 02:30 PM

any hunting! Never been a fan of hunting OR fishing! Weird huh?

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:30 PM

I still have a problem with that if they are being fed!

Go out in their habitat with a bow and arrow....don't feed them beforehand and have them trained where to go to get food!

To me...THAT is what makes hunting a "sport"....otherwise it's just cheating!!:p

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:31 PM

Amen brother!!!:clap:

Reds fan
05-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Not weird, it's your right. Just don't preach to those who do enjoy the sport.

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Amen brother!!!:clap:

fron what I hear I've saved a LOT of money on not buying fishing poles and bait and deer rifles and deer stands and leases and such! haha

lakers
Are you a vegetarian???

kaorder1999
Originally posted by Reds fan
Not weird, it's your right. Just don't preach to those who do enjoy the sport.

never have...never will

Reds fan
05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
never have...never will

That's cool!

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Are you a vegetarian???

who me? Im not...i love my steaks!

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:39 PM
who me? Im not...i love my steaks!

Me too....:clap:

I just dont have a problem harvesting the animal myself....

Ranger Mom
Are you a vegetarian???

I love deer meat!

My boys love to hunt!!

I still stand by my "assessment" of the deer feeder/deer blind....those are not "hunters" in my mind!!

kaorder1999
Me too....:clap:

I just dont have a problem harvesting the animal myself....

i get all of my food from WalMart! I dont care how they got it as long as I dont know about it!

SWMustang
I harvest mine at HEB

Buffgal
05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
1. Horse was put down humanely, nothing else you could do.
2. Jockey was not at fault, horse did not break down until well after the finish line and then around the next turn. If there was even a fracture, horse would have never made it.
3. Track surface was possibly a factor, it had rained and they put lots of clay type stuff on it and then pack it so that it won't be muddy and some of that is due to making it a prettier race also. You know, the mint julep thing. Some of it is also to make it a faster surface. Horses run just fine in mud but it obviously slows them down. but this hard packed surface is really really hard on any kind of a horses fragile bones.
4. If you have every studied any kind of horse anatomy, the horses legs are the most amazing. Tiny, tiny, tiny bones hold up thousands of pounds and when they gallop, one front foot supports the entire weight of the body on each stride. Only for a second but still tremendous force on bones that really shouldn't be able to support a bird.
5. These horses are also bred and inbred for the same genetics that make them fast will also make bad conformation. Vets/trainers work very hard to keep them healthy (some with legit drugs/tactics, some not) because of the $$$ and because it is a sport. Same w/prof baseball, football athletes, same with race cars.

I think that the horses that show promise and have success on the track are treated very well. They make their owners lots of $$ and the owners don't mind spending it on their investments. Most of the big horse farms that I have been around are no different than a big D1 school or professional athletic establishment. They get the very best athletes they can get, they have the best medical/therapy professionals and they have the $$$ to spend to get their athletes (horses) on the field to perform. They pick the genetic bloodlines (we only want a 6'0 LB etc) and then they put them to work. Same problems in human sports, (drug misuse, exploitation of the athletes) etc as in animal sports IMO except that the horse was unfortunately born to be a race horse/cutter/ barrel horse. I've seen people do pretty horrid stuff to show steers to win a stock show championship while the little 4H kid watches.

Horse racing people have to follow a lot of rules, blood testing etc before races but Probably needs to be more regulation in the horse racing sport. It's just a shame that ordinary people who have never witnessed a beautiful animal in pain have to see it on national TV and then don't truly understand that it's really a little bit of a miracle that any horse can take the pressure of a race on those tiny bones.

As far as more regulation prof. baseball still hasn't gotten it right either.

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:41 PM
i get all of my food from WalMart! I dont care how they got it as long as I dont know about it!

Back in my first marriage, I was stuck in a Broncho with a "dead dear" in the back.....that dead dear miraculously came alive about 30 miles off the dear lease.

That was one of the most tragic things I have ever seen. :(

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
sequence that followed:

Car brakes...ERRRRR!!!!

RUN!!!!!!!

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:44 PM
sequence that followed:

Car brakes...ERRRRR!!!!

RUN!!!!!!!

Not quite!! The "Broncho door" ended up delivering the fatal blow!

Silverback 04
05-05-2008, 02:46 PM
I wonder how many of those PETA folks can tell me how many Soldiers/Marines died in OIF/OEF this week. As usual, those folks have a hard time keeping their eye on the ball. They care more about horses, dogs, and cats than they do about the people that are sacrificing themselves so that those idiots can belong to an organization like that without fear of reprisal.

They want to fry the jockey/trainer for providing entertainment that a large part of the population is asking for, and trust me, when they have to put a horse down, generally the one most affected by it (besides the horse) is that same jockey/trainer.

I'm definitely not saying its OK to abuse animals, its not. But even i got the switch as a kid. And people voluntarily take and give steroids all the time, for the sake of a buck most of the time.

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Not quite!! The "Broncho door" ended up delivering the fatal blow!

That's gotta hurt....:eek:

Reds fan
05-05-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Silverback 04
I wonder how many of those PETA folks can tell me how many Soldiers/Marines died in OIF/OEF this week. As usual, those folks have a hard time keeping their eye on the ball. They care more about horses, dogs, and cats than they do about the people that are sacrificing themselves so that those idiots can belong to an organization like that without fear of reprisal.

They want to fry the jockey/trainer for providing entertainment that a large part of the population is asking for, and trust me, when they have to put a horse down, generally the one most affected by it (besides the horse) is that same jockey/trainer.

I'm definitely not saying its OK to abuse animals, its not. But even i got the switch as a kid. And people voluntarily take and give steroids all the time, for the sake of a buck most of the time.

PETA- famous for the line "a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy" equating equality among rats and humans.

CenTexSports
05-05-2008, 02:49 PM
I can not believe that You, RM, of all people can have these types of feelings. You must realize that it is the females like you that make us males the way we are.

We are trained from our young teen years to hunt with gifts and food if we want to get the quary. Is it really any suprise that we translate this learned skill to feeding deer, etc just like we do our women to attract them?

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Just because some of us don't agree with horse racing, hunting, whatever....doesn't mean we agree with PETA either.

I think, again just MY opinion, comparing our soldiers to something like this is comparing apples to oranges!!

CenTexSports
05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Or would you have us hunt our women in the wild with clubs and ropes?

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
I can not believe that You, RM, of all people can have these types of feelings. You must realize that it is the females like you that make us males the way we are.

We are trained from our young teen years to hunt with gifts and food if we want to get the quary. Is it really any suprise that we translate this learned skill to feeding deer, etc just like we do our women to attract them?

For some reason....as I was reading this, I just busted out laughing!!

Maybe I am clueless.....I DO feel sorry for horse and deer and all that stuff, yet I am the one who chopped a rattlesnakes head off last night!!!!:D :D

lakers
05-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports

We are trained from our young teen years to hunt with gifts and food if we want to get the quary. Is it really any suprise that we translate this learned skill to feeding deer, etc just like we do our women to attract them? :iagree: :ditto:

Silverback 04
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Its not a comparison. Its saying that a horse breaking a leg in a horse race is about number 3,000 in the top 3,001 most important things to give a rats booty about.

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 03:00 PM
which is???:thinking:

You said they are bread to do what they are doing. And, yes, they are being bread to run faster and faster at the detriment of their life span and quality of life.

Txbroadcaster
Its not a comparison. Its saying that a horse breaking a leg in a horse race is about number 3,000 in the top 3,001 most important things to give a rats booty about.

Well high school sports honestly does not fall to high on the list of things to truly be worried about either, but we are all on here debating it with passion

lakers

I couldn't agree more...:thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 03:04 PM

I agree with that....but that STILL wasn't the point of this thread!!

It had nothing to do with the injury of the horse......or did it and I am the only one to take it to mean the entire scope of the horse racing industry?

People see what they wanna see.....I have heard first hand, from my son who has seen how "good" some of these horses were treated, up close and personal!

Silverback 04
05-05-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Well high school sports honestly does not fall to high on the list of things to truly be worried about either, but we are all on here debating it with passion

I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that.....but here goes.

This is Texas, high school football reigns number 2....right after OIF/OEF!!

Txbroadcaster
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm not exactly sure how to respond to that.....but here goes.

This is Texas, high school football reigns number 2....right after OIF/OEF!!

What is OIF/OEF

and yes to some of use HS football is that important..just like to some the safety and well being of animals are that high on their list...They are called kooks and crazies

Just like non hs football fans think of all of us

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Buffgal

I think that the horses that show promise and have success on the track are treated very well. They make their owners lots of $$ and the owners don't mind spending it on their investments. Most of the big horse farms that I have been around are no different than a big D1 school or professional athletic establishment. They get the very best athletes they can get, they have the best medical/therapy professionals and they have the $$$ to spend to get their athletes (horses) on the field to perform. They pick the genetic bloodlines (we only want a 6'0 LB etc) and then they put them to work. Same problems in human sports, (drug misuse, exploitation of the athletes) etc as in animal sports IMO except that the horse was unfortunately born to be a race horse/cutter/ barrel horse. I've seen people do pretty horrid stuff to show steers to win a stock show championship while the little 4H kid watches.

Again, treated well by what standard?

ANd the anology to athletes is totally bogus.

Humans can choose what to do. These animals have no choice in the matter.

[qquote]
It's just a shame that ordinary people who have never witnessed a beautiful animal in pain have to see it on national TV and then don't truly understand that it's really a little bit of a miracle that any horse can take the pressure of a race on those tiny bones.[/quote]

Strange?

So because of their amazing anatomy it's okay to abuse them and breed them to run faster and faster and put even more stress on their already unique anatomy?

I'm really perplexed by some of the logic folks are using on this issue.

ronwx5x
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Again, treated well by what standard?

ANd the anology to athletes is totally bogus.

Humans can choose what to do. These animals have no choice in the matter.

[qquote]
It's just a shame that ordinary people who have never witnessed a beautiful animal in pain have to see it on national TV and then don't truly understand that it's really a little bit of a miracle that any horse can take the pressure of a race on those tiny bones.

Strange?

So because of their amazing anatomy it's okay to abuse them and breed them to run faster and faster and put even more stress on their already unique anatomy?

I'm really perplexed by some of the logic folks are using on this issue. [/QUOTE]

At least some of them are using logic. What are you using, sarcasm? The quote make no sense. I suppose it must have been taken out of its original context.

I don't think any poster on this thread enjoyed seeing that horse or any animal in pain. So what is the point of your post?

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 03:39 PM
At least some of them are using logic. What are you using, sarcasm? The quote make no sense. I suppose it must have been taken out of its original context.

I don't think any poster on this thread enjoyed seeing that horse or any animal in pain. So what is the point of your post?

What I am saying is that because their anatomy is so amazing, it's unfortunate that people had to see that and ....

What does that mean. Does that mean we should be okay with horseracing?

AP Panther Fan
05-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't really have an opinion on horse racing currently, but I did go to a rodeo last weekend and I thought calf roping was EXTREMELY inhumane.:dispntd:

kaorder1999
05-05-2008, 03:43 PM
yeah...the calf roping kicks my butt!

Silverback 04
05-05-2008, 03:46 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
[B]What is OIF/OEF

My point exactly.

Txbroadcaster
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
[B]What is OIF/OEF

My point exactly.

just because I dd not know the acroynym does not mean I dont care..and I still dont understand your point

jason
05-05-2008, 03:56 PM
i have no opinion either way and do not no what those acronyms are...

please explain....

pirate4state
05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
OIF = Operation Iraqi Freedom
OEF = Operation Enduring Freedom

LINK (http://oifoef.com/)

BreckTxLonghorn
05-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Operation Iraqi Freedom/ Operation Enduring Freedom: I had to google it, because I've never heard it used this way before. Maybe its how military/insiders talk about it?

I don't think many people knew exactly what that acronym was because its full name is more commonly used. So, then, what would be the point?

Silverback 04
05-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
just because I dd not know the acroynym does not mean I dont care..and I still dont understand your point

My bad. I wasn't intentionally trying to be turd, sometimes it just happens.

OIF= Operation Iraqi Freedom
OEF= Operation Enduring Freedom

Txbroadcaster
05-05-2008, 04:04 PM
My bad. I wasn't intentionally trying to be turd, sometimes it just happens.

OIF= Operation Iraqi Freedom
OEF= Operation Enduring Freedom

I knew it once I typed it in..and was not implying u was being an ass

I still honestly dont know what it all means to this topic

You say you dont care as much about this and that is cool..but that does not mean that people that do care are kooks or their priorties are not straight, just means they have a different set

Silverback 04
05-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Operation Iraqi Freedom/ Operation Enduring Freedom: I had to google it, because I've never heard it used this way before. Maybe its how military/insiders talk about it?

I don't think many people knew exactly what that acronym was because its full name is more commonly used. So, then, what would be the point?

It had to do with an earlier thread and the nice folks at PETA. Nothing personal against you. Sorry

Buffgal
05-05-2008, 05:25 PM
I'm really perplexed by some of the logic folks are using on this issue. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think the reason you are confused by the logic is because it is "horse" sense.

There is abuse in every sport, human and animal. Just because that filly broke her ankles/pastern/cannon bones on national TV does not mean that she was driven past the point of no return by a relentless jockey whipping her over the finish line or that she was juiced up on steroid/cortizone by some vet being paid big bucks and that her owners knew it would happen but did it anyway.

You are only correct about people having choices in taking drugs or even becoming athletes but there is the whole reason behind the controversey. An animal deserves humane treatment but they are not human and some of these animal rights people would put them ahead of many soldiers, babies in this world just to save a greyhound or a race horse that can't race.
I defend my analogy of athletes. Maybe a little lame (no pun intended) but I have had the privilege of taking care of many incredible equine athletes so I know it fits. There have been several incidents in my limited memory of horrific injuries on national television. Joe Theismann's leg is one that comes to mind. They showed his bone coming thru his leg over and over. He was an athlete performing his great feats on the field just like the horse. The only difference in the two athletes was we don't euthanize people yet.

And for anyone who thinks I don't love my horses, I am currently taking care of two geriatric horses, former rodeo mounts, one is 32 and the other is 26. They will have a caring home until they go peacefully or I have to humanely send them there.

lakers
05-05-2008, 06:48 PM
:iagree:

kepdawg
05-05-2008, 07:00 PM
I like it 3 times a year.

DDBooger
05-05-2008, 07:04 PM
they should hit the jockey as many times as they hit the horse if they lose...make it fun :) lmao I'll tell you right now, if anyone has ever had the pleasure of seeing a reenactment of a cavalry charge...nothing more magestic or intimidating if you were on the other side! AWESOME!

ronwx5x
05-05-2008, 07:14 PM
What I am saying is that because their anatomy is so amazing, it's unfortunate that people had to see that and ....

What does that mean. Does that mean we should be okay with horseracing?

The anatomy of horses was never the point of this thread. In my opinion an opussum is ugly as sin, but I don't want to see one in pain.

As far as whether YOU are not okay with horse racing, YOUR choice. What other people feel is of equal to or greater in importance to them. You certainly are free to try to change their minds, but there is a better forum for that.

zebrablue2
05-05-2008, 07:21 PM
I still have a problem with that if they are being fed!

Go out in their habitat with a bow and arrow....don't feed them beforehand and have them trained where to go to get food!

To me...THAT is what makes hunting a "sport"....otherwise it's just cheating!!:p

I do know it's against the law to bait doves. they are hunted in fields where grain is grown. if you bait a tank, it is against the law. I wonder why it does not apply to deer hunting? someone may know. on the other hand, if we did not kill the deer that we do, they would overpopulate, become a nuisance to society, and die of disease. JMO.. Tough call...

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by zebrablue2
I do know it's against the law to bait doves. they are hunted in fields where grain is grown. if you bait a tank, it is against the law. I wonder why it does not apply to deer hunting? someone may know. on the other hand, if we did not kill the deer that we do, they would overpopulate, become a nuisance to society, and die of disease. JMO.. Tough call...

True....I still don't see why guys get all pumped up about themselves when they hide and kill a dear that is standing at the same place eating that he has been for the past few months!! What's so great about that??

DDBooger
05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
True....I still don't see why guys get all pumped up about themselves when they hide and kill a dear that is standing at the same place eating that he has been for the past few months!! What's so great about that?? SHHHH! your deflating testicles as you type!:D

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
SHHHH! your deflating testicles as you type!:D

Oh well....they can always go shoot an unsuspecting deer, or kick a puppy, or whatever they do so they can beat their chest!!

Stownhorse
05-05-2008, 07:32 PM
True....I still don't see why guys get all pumped up about themselves when they hide and kill a dear that is standing at the same place eating that he has been for the past few months!! What's so great about that??

Its great because the guy is going home with a trophy or leaving a game ranch with his freakin moneys worth.

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Its great because the guy is going home with a trophy or leaving a game ranch with his freakin moneys worth.

I know all that do it are gonna rationalize it....I don't expect any different.

I just won't ever think there is anything great about it.

Stownhorse
05-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I know all that do it are gonna rationalize it....I don't expect any different.

I just won't ever think there is anything great about it.

Of course we are lol anyways back on topic.

Macarthur
05-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I think the reason you are confused by the logic is because it is "horse" sense.

Yeah, those two are easily confused. :rolleyes:

There is abuse in every sport, human and animal.

Again, the person has a choice; the horse does not. I don't know why it's difficult for folks to come to grips with.

Just because that filly broke her ankles/pastern/cannon bones on national TV does not mean that she was driven past the point of no return by a relentless jockey whipping her over the finish line or that she was juiced up on steroid/cortizone by some vet being paid big bucks and that her owners knew it would happen but did it anyway.

Maybe not, but from what I have read, it's pretty common practice to have these horses pumped full of all kinds of juice.

You are only correct about people having choices in taking drugs or even becoming athletes but there is the whole reason behind the controversey. An animal deserves humane treatment but they are not human and some of these animal rights people would put them ahead of many soldiers, babies in this world just to save a greyhound or a race horse that can't race.

You are totally going off the reservation here. No one here ever said a horse should be treated like a human baby.

My only point is that we are supposed to be the superior animal, in terms of intellect. I find it terrible that we still choose to treat other creatures poorly.

I defend my analogy of athletes. Maybe a little lame (no pun intended) but I have had the privilege of taking care of many incredible equine athletes so I know it fits.

It's really hard to follow your thought process because you change trains of thought and you're all over the place.

The analogy does not fit. You can go on thinking it does, but you can not compare Roger Clements, who knowingly (allegedly ;)) took steroids and a horse that has it stuck in his rear without anyone asking.

There have been several incidents in my limited memory of horrific injuries on national television. Joe Theismann's leg is one that comes to mind. They showed his bone coming thru his leg over and over. He was an athlete performing his great feats on the field just like the horse. The only difference in the two athletes was we don't euthanize people yet.

Wrong! That's not the only difference. The pink elephant in the room, that you fail to recongnize, is that Theismann made a conscious decision to play in that game fully aware of the threat of injury.

lakers
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
:blahblah:

Ranger Mom
05-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah, those two are easily confused. :rolleyes:

Again, the person has a choice; the horse does not. I don't know why it's difficult for folks to come to grips with.

Maybe not, but from what I have read, it's pretty common practice to have these horses pumped full of all kinds of juice.

You are totally going off the reservation here. No one here ever said a horse should be treated like a human baby.

My only point is that we are supposed to be the superior animal, in terms of intellect. I find it terrible that we still choose to treat other creatures poorly.

It's really hard to follow your thought process because you change trains of thought and you're all over the place.

The analogy does not fit. You can go on thinking it does, but you can not compare Roger Clements, who knowingly (allegedly ;)) took steroids and a horse that has it stuck in his rear without anyone asking.

Wrong! That's not the only difference. The pink elephant in the room, that you fail to recongnize, is that Theismann made a conscious decision to play in that game fully aware of the threat of injury.

I agree with all you said.....the problem here is several don't seem to see the whole picture!!!