PDA

View Full Version : How sweet it was!

Bull Butter
05-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Tonight's Rockets loss brings to a close the broadcasting careers of Houston broadcasters Gene Peterson and Jim Foley, who both retired after tonight's game.:(

Peterson, 67 and Foley, 69 have done Houston Rockets games together on radio since 1975. Together they have called some 3,000 NBA games which included 2 NBA World Championships in 1994 & 1995.

The title of the thread is a tribute to Peterson's signature "How Sweet it is!" line that he used after Rockets wins for the past 33 seasons.

Best wishes in retirement Gene & Jim. Whoever your takes your place will have some HUGE shoes to fill:)

g$$
05-03-2008, 03:54 AM
Absolutely agreed. I heard Gene Peterson sign off tonight for the final time on my way home from the Astros game/then sports bar watching Rockets, & I felt like part of me just died. I must admit I got a little emotional as thoughts raced thru my head from my youth until now. I'm 37, & these guys have been doing games for 33 years together in Houston (Jim Foley was forced to take medical leave due to surgery about a month or so ago). They were so good on the air & so loyal. Tough to see it end. Lots of great memories, esp. 1994 & 1995, listening to games way before cable tv, etc. since the late 1970s for me. Gene had the easily distinguishable baritone voice & called the action, while Jim relayed the stats & tidbits. Outstanding duo & very professional. They will be missed.

"Backing it in, backing it in, Olajuwon with a Dream Shake for two & a foul."

"Magnificent Summit"

"Sir Charles & Clyde the Glide"

"Kiss of Death by Mario Elie"

"Clutch City"

"Believe" & "Believe Again"

"Houston, you're on top of the basketball world for the 2nd year in as row."

etc.

How sweet it was is right. All the best to Geno & Jimmy. Good stuff Bull Butter.

:clap: :clap:

zebrablue2
05-03-2008, 05:08 AM
:iagree: two good posts up above. won't seem like rockets basketball without those guys. they are the only announcers I have ever known. they were great, and I wish them all the best on their retirement..