PDA

View Full Version : All-district??????

I_DONT_CARE
05-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I THOUGHT ALL-DISTRICT TEAMS WEREN'T MADE PUBLIC UNTIL ALL TEAMS WERE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS? :thinking:

13-1 Cardinals snubbed by 21-3A
Gabriel Pruett
The Orange Leader

BRIDGE CITY — Everyone has discussed it in our area and everyone seems to agree on a hot topic.

The word from coaches, fans, players and even us in the media is District 21-3A is the toughest 3A district in the state.

Just to make the playoffs out of 21-3A is said to be quite an accomplishment since it is a gauntlet to get out of.

So with that in mind, a big question comes to mind.

How in the world can a team go 13-1 and not be rewarded with a single player in the all-district superlatives?

That is exactly what has been done this season as the Bridge City Cardinals went 13-1 in the “toughest district in the state” and did not have a player selected in the superlatives.

I know exactly how these picks are made and understand the methods of the madness and for the most part I am not surprised when mistakes are made.

I usually let them slide off my back and look the other way.

This time it is not so easy when a 13-1 is practically stabbed in the back.

There has only been one other time when I have felt the need to step up and argue over some all-district picks.

It makes me think of what would happen if in a few weeks the District 22-4A team comes out and not a single Port Neches-Groves Indians player is awarded a superlative spot.

Taylor Monse of Hardin-Jefferson had a great for the Hawks on the mound and was selected as MVP of the district.

One of his biggest accomplishments had to be the final district game of the year, a win against Bridge City giving the Cardinals their first and only loss of the season.

I hate to practically take anything away from Monse but the game meant nothing to the Cardinals who did not look like the Cardinals I have seen in about 15 other games I witnessed this year.

Bridge City had the district championship locked up and already had its eyes set on bigger things — the playoffs.

It is never easy to go undefeated in 21-3A baseball especially with Jasper, Silsbee, Hardin-Jefferson and Hamshire-Fannett around.

Bridge City senior catcher Casey Jackson has the numbers to back up the right selection for MVP of the district since his Cardinals were the best team in league play.

Jackson batted .526 in district play with five homers, 18 RBI, five doubles and was walked 16 times.

Plus throw in the fact his defense behind the play was superb, just ask Taylor Hart of Jasper, and Jackson should have been the choice here.

I’ll even take it a step further and say if Jackson was not the choice, the best overall player in the district resides in Jasper in Malcolm Bronson who was named Offensive Player of the Year.

If Jackson was not MVP, the only players who I could have selected would have been Bronson and Bridge City’s Matt Hicks who pitches, plays shortstop and carries an above average offense.

Bronson hit over .500 with seven home runs and about 30 RBI.

Hicks’ fight for MVP would start with his work on the mound where he went 6-1 with a 1.95 ERA with 69 strike outs to just eight walks. Plus he beat Jasper twice this season and his only loss came against H-J in the meaningless affair.

Add on to the fact that two Bridge City errors in that game led to Hardin-Jefferson scoring four runs in a 5-2 win and Hicks was not to blame for the loss.

I hope politics did not play a role in this because the players deserve better than that when selecting these teams.

It should never matter who you like and if one person scratches your back so you will scratch theirs.

Certain players deserve the credit for a season in which they have earned recognition.

Jackson deserved the recognition even though he will not be the one to say it.

Don’t worry Casey, the Orange Leader Sports Department and the rest of Orange County enjoyed your MVP season.

Reach this reporter at 409-883-3571, Ext. 2618, or gpruett@orangeleader.com

lakers
05-02-2008, 10:07 PM
:rolleyes:

:blahblah:

:D

c-town_balla
05-02-2008, 10:10 PM
how does he know the all district team?

lakers
05-02-2008, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
how does he know the all district team?

Yeah really, they aren't suppose to be released until all the teams in the district are done.

c-town_balla
05-03-2008, 12:25 AM
AND I seriously doubt somone like Jackson who is a three year starter and one of the better hs hitters Ive played against as a soph isn't all district

j_dog
05-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by c-town_balla
AND I seriously doubt somone like Jackson who is a three year starter and one of the better hs hitters Ive played against as a soph isn't all district
This article is misleading. The author is talking about MVP (i.e. superlatives) selections, not all-district. Jackson made all-district, as did a number of other BC Cardinals.