PDA

View Full Version : Giddings / Splendora???

3aSoftball4Mom
05-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Anybody heard anything???

How about LaGrange/Silsbee??

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2008, 09:42 PM
LG/Silsbee:

Game 1 - 3-1, LG
Game 2 - 10-2, LG

Sorry, I don't see anything for Giddings/Splendora

3aSoftball4Mom
05-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Thank you

Congratulations La Grange

Looks like La Grange will play Needville.

nette_mom
05-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Congratulations to LaGrange! A class act from our division. Good luck the next round. You will have to be quick on your feet and be ready to play the slap and bunt short and exciting game of softball. You guys are up to the challenge. Represent!

Reds fan
05-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Way to go Lady Leps:clap: :clap:

Needville-La Grange matchup should be great matchup, both talented and classy teams.

Reds fan
05-02-2008, 11:13 PM
Still no report on Giddings/Spledora game 1?

3aSoftball4Mom
05-02-2008, 11:15 PM
Somebody has to know something??

sinton66
05-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Might check the Houston Chronicle site.

Reds fan
05-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Nothing yet on the Chronicle site...

flowerchick
05-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Still no word on the score?

PutMeInCoach
05-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Giddings 2 Splendora 3

3&2count
05-03-2008, 01:48 AM
When do they play game #2

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by 3&2count
When do they play game #2

Well I was going to say Chronicle.com has them playing at 12:00, but then I saw that both games are at that time.

Actually, it might not be the chronicle people that put that it in there. It's probably the Splendora coach or someone else from there. Or Giddings maybe. Guess they didn't know game times when they put schedules in. :confused:

zebrablue2
05-03-2008, 05:29 AM
come on lady buffs. get those bats going today. you can do it. lots of luck on saturday..

scrub c
05-03-2008, 07:21 AM
splendora run any of those trick plays?

g$$
05-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by scrub c

I'm guessing they will...I'm sure you saw what I did last year vs. WC. Sneaky bunch right there & flat out bush league IMO.

flowerchick
05-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Has anyone this morning heard about the first game of series? I think I saw that they play game 2 in magnolia at 5 today?

sinton66
05-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Check the sticky at the top of the page.

3&2count
05-03-2008, 09:38 AM
Area Play Off Game

vs.

Giddings

Dates: 5/2 & 5/3

Game Times:

5/2 starts at 7:00 p.m.

5/3 starts at 5:00 p.m.

Adults $4.00

Students $2.00

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM

"Trick" plays or whatever you want to call them are a part of the game. If a team is not mentally prepared and the other team is aggressive and using situational play to their advantage, the ill prepared team is subject to be "victimized" by the so called "trick play".

In most, but not all cases, the team that takes advantage of what the other team is giving up is accused of trickery, but in truth is just taking advantage of their good coaching and awareness of the game.

PutMeInCoach
05-03-2008, 10:33 AM
According to Splendora fans it went down like this.

No, scores of trick plays. Ball hit to center, fielder makes a diving attempt and it tips off her glove. Next batter bunts, over throw to first, right fielder finally fields the ball. Runners at 2nd and 3rd. Splendora hits in the winning run.

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by PutMeInCoach
According to Splendora fans it went down like this.

No, scores of trick plays. Ball hit to center, fielder makes a diving attempt and it tips off her glove. Next batter bunts, over throw to first, right fielder finally fields the ball. Runners at 2nd and 3rd. Splendora hits in the winning run.

That sounds similar to the way Giddings wins a lot of games...two scrappy teams...should be fun today!

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 11:39 AM

I would be willing to bet they did....wonder if they pulled that same one (outfielder) they pulled on yall last year. To me.......that is just wrong.

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Reds fan
"Trick" plays or whatever you want to call them are a part of the game. If a team is not mentally prepared and the other team is aggressive and using situational play to their advantage, the ill prepared team is subject to be "victimized" by the so called "trick play".

In most, but not all cases, the team that takes advantage of what the other team is giving up is accused of trickery, but in truth is just taking advantage of their good coaching and awareness of the game.

I agree with you Reds for the most part, with the exception of the one I saw pulled on WC last year. That to me is not how the game should be played.

One out, I believe, WC runner on 2nd, LF catches fly ball and the whole team, except the pitcher starts running off the field. (no one really notices the pitcher in the confusion) everyone hollers "only 2 outs" 3rd base coach tells runner to get to third. Umpire calls hers out. Why? The pitcher has the ball in the circle. Like I said, no one ever notcied the pitcher....LFielder tosses her the ball as she runs by.
IMO I don't think that's what the game is all about. Clever?? yea, but seriously, I don't think that this is what they mean when they say, "whatever it takes." IMO this one is not in the same league as fake throws to third, etc........

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom
I agree with you Reds for the most part, with the exception of the one I saw pulled on WC last year. That to me is not how the game should be played.

One out, I believe, WC runner on 2nd, LF catches fly ball and the whole team, except the pitcher starts running off the field. (no one really notices the pitcher in the confusion) everyone hollers "only 2 outs" 3rd base coach tells runner to get to third. Umpire calls hers out. Why? The pitcher has the ball in the circle. Like I said, no one ever notcied the pitcher....LFielder tosses her the ball as she runs by.
IMO I don't think that's what the game is all about. Clever?? yea, but seriously, I don't think that this is what they mean when they say, "whatever it takes." IMO this one is not in the same league as fake throws to third, etc........

I said most, not all cases :)

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 12:32 PM

I know u did......:D

g$$
05-03-2008, 04:20 PM

Like I said, I was there & saw it the way desribed by Softball Mom (great explanation btw). Splendora is known for this stuff & takes advantage of goofy softball rules. The whole team left field. It was & is bush league. That being said, Splendora has a fine program.

I know for a fact they kept telling the umps to be aware of it in pregame warm-ups too. Obviously they like to use them.

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Like I said, I was there & saw it the way desribed by Softball Mom (great explanation btw). Splendora is known for this stuff & takes advantage of goofy softball rules. The whole team left field. It was & is bush league. That being said, Splendora has a fine program.

I know for a fact they kept telling the umps to be aware of it in pregame warm-ups too. Obviously they like to use them.

I agree with you and Softball Mom, especially in this instance. I was just pointing out some instances where teams cry foul but were simply caught napping.

flowerchick
05-03-2008, 05:14 PM
I know the game started at 5:00 today, is anyone there or has a connection to update the score?

PutMeInCoach
05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I disagree using those types of tactics to win a ball game...however, it is LEGAL. IMO, if you have to use those types of tactics to win a game, then you're probably NOT too confident in your kid's ability to win the game out right.

flowerchick
05-03-2008, 06:54 PM
My thoughts are the same as PUT ME COACH, must not think they can win on skill alone....

PutMeInCoach
05-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I guess 1 way to make these "bush" plays less affective, and to have future playoff games won on true talent would be to post which ones you've seen used. I am sure the readers of this board would pass along them to their kids and I know coaches read these boards as well. Just an idea.

PutMeInCoach
05-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Gidding lost 3-0

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 07:27 PM
if you have to use those types of tactics to win a game, then you're probably NOT too confident in your kid's ability to win the game out right

I sure agree with you and FlowerChick on this...
and is the coach really teaching this stuff at practice??

I guess 1 way to make these "bush" plays less affective, and to have future playoff games won on true talent would be to post which ones you've seen used. I am sure the readers of this board would pass along them to their kids and I know coaches read these boards as well. Just an idea.

Great idea.

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Kind of surprised Giddings was able to keep Splendora to only 6 runs in two games...good job. Blue must have been giving the outside off the plate in game two for Splendora to shut out Giddings bats. Loge lives there when getting the calls.

Now we have the Splendora/West Columbia matchup...should be good.

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 3aSoftball4Mom
[B]I sure agree with you and FlowerChick on this...

Sure she does...sad part is Splendora is good enough to win without those tactics.

Anyone there know if they were used in game 2, sounds like they did not in game 1.

nette_mom
05-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Congratulations to Splendora! Way to go Kaycee. I guess Carma got the best of Giddings! ha ha!

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by nette_mom
Congratulations to Splendora! Way to go Kaycee. I guess Carma got the best of Giddings! ha ha!

:spitlol: Agreed.

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Good luck Lady Necks and Coaches Murphy and Murphy next week against Splendora.
Lady Tigers are pulling for you!
:clap:

nette_mom
05-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Wow! West Columbia and Splendora should be a great match-up! Good luck to each team, we have special place in our hearts for players on both teams. My DD has played many games with and against some of these great players. Once again, good luck, good sportsmanship, and may the best team win! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PutMeInCoach
05-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Of course they practice these plays. The kids don't come up with them on their own during the game. It's kind of like 1st and 3rd situations, you practice them so you can be successful in a game. Do you get the out all the time? No, but you are prepared.

I know they use the over throw 2nd on a 1st and 3rd situation where the to middle infielders dive and the CF acts like they are getting the ball. Runner at 3rd takes the bait and comes home just to be tagged out by the catcher. This type of mis-direction play has been around in softball and baseball for years. I can tolerate that type play more than what was described earlier.

Another one I have seen is the old 2-2 count with a runner on 1st or 2nd and the pitch delivered is a ball to make a full count. The batter and the runners takes off like it's ball 4 when it is only a 3-2 count. Yes, the defense should know the count and it's their fault for being asleep. However, I still feel this in unethical...it's just hard to prove if it was done on purpose or not.

3&2count
05-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Straight softball in this game. Giddings made a couple of errors and Splendora took advantage. They put great pressure on the defense to make plays.

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM

I sure agree with you and FlowerChick on this...

Sure she does...sad part is Splendora is good enough to win without those tactics.

Originally posted by Put Me In Coach
Of course they practice these plays. The kids don't come up with them on their own during the game.

I actually was being sarcastic about the practicing thing :D
I kinda knew they were.
:D

buff4ever
05-03-2008, 10:36 PM
good season buff girls. From what I heard we let friday get away from us by giving up 2 runs I believe in the bottom of the 7th. That would have been a game you need to get against a team as good as splendora, the first game.

Splendora sounds very talented.

Keep your heads up girs, I know that most of you return next year, all but 3 starters if I am not mistaken?

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 10:41 PM

Anyone there know if they were used in game 2, sounds like they did not in game 1.

I kinda knew they were.
:D [/B][/QUOTE]

I knew you knew:D

3aSoftball4Mom
05-03-2008, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by 3asoftball4mom
I kinda knew they were.
:D

I knew you knew:D

Ok....let me see if I have this right... :D Even though, you knew, that I knew, you still wanted everyone to think that you didn't know, that I knew and to make them think that I didn't know?

I knew that!:D

Reds fan
05-03-2008, 10:50 PM
Exactly!