PDA

View Full Version : Amendola Shines and other Cowboys news

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 02:12 PM
A couple of entries on DMN's Cowboys blog mention Amendola. The link is below.

3) Amendola shines: I know Timmy already addressed this, but there was a whole lot to like about Danny Amendola (and not just because I wrote about him this morning). He runs sharp, precise routes, gets in and out of his breaks quickly, and knows how to set up a DB. Plus, he didn't drop a ball. It's worth noting that Jenkins couldn't stop him once in one-on-ones, at least in the three instances I say the two match up.

LINK (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/)

BreckTxLonghorn
05-02-2008, 02:14 PM
So either:

A) Helluva FA signing by the 'Boys.
B) Horrible draft pick by the 'Boys.

I hope (A)

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
So either:

A) Helluva FA signing by the 'Boys.
B) Horrible draft pick by the 'Boys.

I hope (A)

or c..Jenkins has more cerebal stuff to learn at this point...talked about him learning different footwork because of the style of CB he played in college is diff than what they want him to do in Dallas

BreckTxLonghorn
05-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
or c..Jenkins has more cerebal stuff to learn at this point...talked about him learning different footwork because of the style of CB he played in college is diff than what they want him to do in Dallas

Didn't read the whole link first. Thanks for pointing this out-- makes me feel better.

nobogey72
05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Danny A. would definitely be a crowd favorite and I think he's the kind of kid that coaches would lean towards if several players with similar abilities were fighting it out for a roster spot. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Adidas410s
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
as usual...Kep is 10 minutes ahead of me on anything that goes up on DMN. I swear that Kep lives on that site...

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
as usual...Kep is 10 minutes ahead of me on anything that goes up on DMN. I swear that Kep lives on that site...

I bounce back and forth between DMN and ESPN most of the day. I figure if there is something I need to know that doesn't show up one of those two places it will show up here.

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Danny A. would definitely be a crowd favorite and I think he's the kind of kid that coaches would lean towards if several players with similar abilities were fighting it out for a roster spot. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hey, if nothing else, he gives me a really good reason to cheer for the 'Boys again. :inlove:

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I bounce back and forth between DMN and ESPN most of the day. I figure if there is something I need to know that doesn't show up one of those two places it will show up here.

same here..i love the DMN blogs..love the comment from readers more than anyting

Old Tiger
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Hey, if nothing else, he gives me a really good reason to cheer for the 'Boys again. :inlove: must you not forget Tech's most famous player, Zack Thomas?

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 03:00 PM
same here..i love the DMN blogs..love the comment from readers more than anyting

Readers comments are crazy! They make the people here look tame.

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
must you not forget Tech's most famous player, Zack Thomas?

I think EJ Holub (sp) or Donny Anderson would be more famous long-term...but no doubt Zach Thomas has done well. Tech also had guy get elected to the College Football HOF yesterday too - Parks I believe it was.

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I think EJ Holub or Donny Anderson would be more famous long-term...but no doubt Zach Thomas has done well.

Who? and Who?

Old Tiger
05-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I think EJ Holub (sp) or Donny Anderson would be more famous long-term...but no doubt Zach Thomas has done well. True I guess Zack just sticks out more cause he was "too small and too slow" but he's always overcame those sayings.

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Who? and Who?

Gotta learn your history, bud!

Parks too as I added above...College Football HOF

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Gotta learn your history, bud!

Parks too as I added above...College Football HOF

Sorry I didn't realize Tech had a history! What about Bam Morris and Zebbie Lethridge and Byron Hanspard? I've heard of those guys!

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:49 PM
Sorry I didn't realize Tech had a history! What about Bam Morris and Zebbie Lethridge and Byron Hanspard? I've heard of those guys!

Tech has had some quality players thru the years, no doubt. Had a RB named James Hadnot (not Texas' Butch Hadnot years ago but cousin I think) that could play too.

Holub
Anderson
Thomas
Parks
etc.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Tech has had some quality players thru the years, no doubt. Had a RB named James Hadnot (not Texas' Butch Hadnot years ago but cousin I think) that could play too.

Holub
Anderson
Thomas
Parks
etc.

brining Butch Hadnot's name up..man memories as a Texas fan..wasted talent

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Holub
Anderson
Thomas
Parks
etc.

Hadnot's from Jasper!

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:52 PM

Cover 2 corner vs. different scheme

g$$
05-02-2008, 03:53 PM
Hadnot's from Jasper!

Kirbyville right?

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Kirbyville right?

Kirbywho?

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Kirbyville right?

Butch was from Kirbyville

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Go Blue
must you not forget Tech's most famous player, Zack Thomas? :doh: :doh: :doh: I haven't gotten used to him not being a Dolphin, yet. But yeah.... :inlove:

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Butch was from Kirbyville

Thank you!

Next...

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Thank you!

Next...

Nobody cares about Kirbyville!

JasperDog94
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
Nobody cares about Kirbyville! :ditto:

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Nobody cares about Kirbyville!

Nor do I, I'm from Sweeny! Just sayin'...

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:34 PM
all the Hadnot talk has the fond memories of the Shock the World season

kepdawg
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Nor do I, I'm from Sweeny! Just sayin'...

Well I was still operating under the assumption we were talking about Tech and former Red Raiders.

g$$
05-02-2008, 04:36 PM

And a Cotton Bowl beatdown 46-3 to Thug U! I was rooting for the Horns actually.

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
And a Cotton Bowl beatdown 46-3 to Thug U! I was rooting for the Horns actually.

and as a Texas fan u could see it coming a mile away

any other top bowl that year Texas does well, but the match-up wiith the canes was terrible because Texas was not an atletic team

plus the way the Canes intimated them was a huge factor as well

BreckTxLonghorn
05-02-2008, 04:53 PM

Was Jimmy Saxton QB that season?

Txbroadcaster
05-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Was Jimmy Saxton QB that season?

Peter Gardere

g$$
05-03-2008, 06:00 AM
and as a Texas fan u could see it coming a mile away

any other top bowl that year Texas does well, but the match-up wiith the canes was terrible because Texas was not an atletic team

plus the way the Canes intimated them was a huge factor as well

Agreed. I was in my last year at Hill JC playing baseball & had decided to just be a student moving forward. I either wanted to play big-time D1 ball or not at all after jc, & I was never going pro talent-wise. I attended like 7 UT games that Fall traveling like a mad man back & forth to make workouts & Fall baseball games. I went to CS some too including Bonfire. I applied to Texas & Texas A&M, got accepted to both, & chose A&M because I was more comfortable there, had a bunch of friends there, etc. I have all kinds of Longhorn family but it wasn't for me. I respect Texas immensely as a fine school. I have never regretted my decision either. A&M fit me better then & now.

The A&M/Texas game that year in Austin came down to A&M going for 2 & not making it. Great ballgame start to finish. That was the only Texas win between 1984 & 1994.

I rooted for Texas but Miami was just sick talented. That game was over in warm-ups with the intimidation. It got ugly quickly.

nobogey72
05-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Wasn't "Bam" Morris a Tech grad? He was a pretty big name for a while in the NFL. Kep--don't tell me you really don't know who Donny Anderson is? He and Jim Grabowski from Illinois came in as rookies and caused Paul Horning and Jim Taylor to request trades from their beloved Packers due to how much they were paying the rookies, and how little the Packers were paying them. But, if you don't know who Donny Anderson is then you probably don't know Jim Taylor or Paul Horning either. I forget how young some of you are. Makes me feel old.

g$$
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Wasn't "Bam" Morris a Tech grad? He was a pretty big name for a while in the NFL. Kep--don't tell me you really don't know who Donny Anderson is? He and Jim Grabowski from Illinois came in as rookies and caused Paul Horning and Jim Taylor to request trades from their beloved Packers due to how much they were paying the rookies, and how little the Packers were paying them. But, if you don't know who Donny Anderson is then you probably don't know Jim Taylor or Paul Horning either. I forget how young some of you are. Makes me feel old.

Yes, Bam was a Tech/NFL player - not sure about grad! He had some drug problems but not sure of whereabouts now. I think he may have gotten out of prison & doing better.

Don't worry, I feel old quite often on here. Great post on past players that bring back the good ol' days! Donny Anderson was a DCTF coverboy for goodness sakes...& Holub a legend too.

BobcatBenny
05-03-2008, 09:10 AM
I sort of think Wes Welker is a fairly decent pro that came up through Tech.

Then there was Timmy Smith (Einstein) who helped the Redskins crush Denver in the Superbowl.

I think Amendola could really be a good receiver for the Cowboys if da Boys could ever find a decent QB. :eek:

kepdawg
05-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Sorry, never heard of Anderson.

g$$
05-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by BobcatBenny
I sort of think Wes Welker is a fairly decent pro that came up through Tech.

Then there was Timmy Smith (Einstein) who helped the Redskins crush Denver in the Superbowl.

Welker has been mentioned of course. Done quite well & he was a late scholarship offer for Tech & was preparing to walk-on at another place. Good story.

Smith had a great SB, the game of his life, but it ends there. Give him credit for that but there have been many come thru Tech better than him.

g$$
05-03-2008, 03:15 PM

That's ok, you learned some football history on the DL, like Anderson & Holub from Tech.

LH Panther Mom
05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8065/donnyanderson1jb2.jpg
Donny Anderson

Biography:
Donny Anderson was first known for his outstanding athletic career. He was the first and only consensus All-American while he played football at Texas Tech University. He was the number one draft choice for the NFL and AFL, and signed with Greenbay Packers. There he played for three years under the leadership of Vince Lombardi, including two Super Bowls and the 1968 Pro Bowl. At Greenbay, he was twice voted Most Valueable Player by his teammates. He went on to play for the St. Louis Cardinals, where he once again was voted MVP. Donny has been inducted into the Green Packer Packer Hall of Fame, the Texas Sports Hall of Fame, and was recently voted as one of the Top 10 Southwest Conference Players of All Time. He has also recently been inducted into the Southwest Conference Hall of Honor.

link (http://www.autographedtoyou.com/Donny-Anderson-Biography.htm)

DCTF - 1965
link (http://hostproducts.net/AQUARIUS/Itemdesc.asp?CartId={88E221B4-BFEVEREST58-47E1-BDE5-2FF8EFD4C57F}&ic=DCTXFB65&eq=&Tp=)

widipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donny_Anderson)